Neurology Community
Essential Tremor - what is the probablity for severe condition?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi there.

I have a question about Essential Tremor.

I am 35 years old and have been diagnosed as having a very mild form of ET, which started at the age of 11. Syptoms (symptoms) are rather rare (e.g. once a week in case of some excessive stress) and are limited to shaking hands to the extend that I may not be able to carry a FULL cap of coffee without spilling.

I was recommended not to take any medication.

My question is the following:

As my wife is pregnant with our first child, what is the probability that our child will have a more severe form of ET or other movement disorter due to heretitory reasons? (I have read that there is a 50% chance of the child having ET since I have it, but can the severity level be diagonsed or at least a severe condition be given a probability?)

Your response will be greatly appreciated as this is a concern for my wife and I.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Severity of essential tremors varies from person to person.If it is interfering with your routine activities then propranolol can be used.Coffee and soda products to be avoided.Most of ET tranmitted as autosomal dominant pattern means there is 50 % chance that a offspring may get it.In some cases it may not transmit and ET may also occur without family history.Its a benign condition,in offspring it has almost same course.
Regards,
Many thanks for the reply.

What do you mean "in offspring it has almost the same course"? Does this mean that the ET severity will be almost the same as the parent's or could it be worse (and what are the chances of being worse)?

Also, are there any tests that could be carried out on the foetus to detrmine (a) whether it has ET genes, and (b) the level of severity ?

Your answers are greatly appreciated.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Same course of ET in offspring means children if affected may have less or same severity of symptoms as parents.It can be worse only if both parents are having ET.The FET1 gene on chromosome 3q13.1 and the ETM2 gene on chromosome 2p22-p25 have been implicated.Unfortunately at present no genetic tests are available to detect ET genes in fetus.
Regards,
Thank you so much. This is very useful.