Essential Tremor Medication
I am a 36yrs old female mother of two.  I exercise daily.  Don't smoke, drink.  I was dx with essential (familiar tremors) when I was 20yrs old in nursing school.  It feels as though I have tried every medication, beta blockers, mysoline, xanax.  Finially 3 years ago.  A Dr. at Shands Neuro Inst. in Gainesville, FL placed me on Keppra 1000mg bid.  I was already taking Klonopin 2mg bid (on for 10 years, increase med through the years).  I am unable to aford the Keppra at this time, the synergestic effect is awesome, but $400.00/month for one med is out of my budget.  My head, hands, and voice shake.  Is there another medication that you could just recommend to me that is comparable to Keppra?  That does not cost and arm and a leg?  The shaking is so embarrassing.  Hopefully within the next year I will obtain insurance on myself.  Your help would be forever appreciated.  Sincerely April Scofield
Hi April,

I don't want to suggest you one more medicine and wash my hands off. But it you are loking for an  alternative for Keppra, I would ask if you have tried Gabapentin (Neurontin). It costs less and has a proven effect.

Regards