Neurology Community
Excess Spinal Fluid

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Excess Spinal Fluid

Hi there,
            First off I would like to say hello to everyone, My name is Neal and I am 28 years old.
Recently I have been diagnosed with having excess spinal fluid. I must admit that I was a little overwhelmed when I was told what was wrong with me, not because it was a shock to find that I have something wrong, but because I have been trying to get an answer as to why I have a disabling amount of pain mainly in my lower spine for the last 6 or 7 years. It turned out that my local hospital incorrectly read my first 3 MRI scans!

Anyhow, can anybody give me a little more insight as to what could be causing this excess fluid and if possible, if there is anything I can do physicly to help reduce the level of pain?

I must admit, I was a little worried when my Neurologist told me : "For a man of your age, you have a very angry looking spine" and that there is no treatment that can be done for me.
Any advice would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Neal
Hi.

Spinal fluid (Cerebrospinal fluid)  is a nutrient and a circulating fluid. It means, the fluid is secreted, circulated and absorbed continuously.

In your spine, there could be a block in the circulation of the fluid. This increases the pressure inside the spinal canal.

Do you have headaches also ?

Regards
Hi & thanks for your reply.

I do suffer from occasional headaches and stiffness/painful of the neck.

Regards,
Neal
Hi.

Does any of your MRIs show enlarged ventricles ? Ventricles are spaces in the brain filled with cerebrospinal fluid.

Does your MRI look something like this ?

http://www.papimi.gr/susansawicki.files/image004.gif

Regards
Hello Neal,

For the pain, while you get better treatment, I strongly suggest an acupuncturist.  A good one with few visits will make your pain go away for 4 years.  The treatment numbs your nerves making the pain lessen.
Good luck!
     In regards to your question about my MRI scans, so far they have not scanned my brain, however they plan to in the next 2 or 3 months.

As for the comment made by Orchid471, I have been to see an acupuncturist, however this had no effect on me. I was also, at the same time as the acupuncture, had physio but again there was no relief.

I have received a letter from my Neurosurgeon today stating that the excess fluid is in the facet joints around the middle lumbar area and that there is no sign of nerve root compression or any disc disorder. At the time of seeing the Neurosurgeon, he sent me for an x-ray to check for ank.spon, however this too was negative.

Neal
I have also been diagnosed with excess spinal fluid which causes me to have headaches and loss of vision. I am wondering what causes there to be an excess of fluid. I have tried to research this and no one explains what causes this to happen. Please help me understand.
Thank you,
Shannon from NC
Hi Shannon and welcome to MedHelp . I ll try my best to answer you.Cerebrospinal fluid is always present around the brain.The fluid circulates around the body and is reabsorbed.Sometimes, something goes wrong and the CSF and it builds up in the brain causing pressure around the brain because it has no where to go and the space cant expand.This causes bad headaches and eye problems.A lumber puncture usually relieves the pressure and fluid,
There is one condition that causes this and all the symptoms, I.I.H. or B.I.H. or P.T.C.
All these names mean the same thing, Benigh Intracranial Hypertention.
If this is what you have, there is no know reason why one person gets it and another not. Are you under a dr. care? did they tell you any thing else? I have BIH, just diagniosed two weeks ago. If i can help in any way give me a shout. I hope my answer helped in some way. Best to you,cath278
IN 1994 I HAD TYPHOID FEVER AND I WAS OVERDOSED WITH EXCESS OF CHLOROPHENICOL.
SINCE THEN I HAD HAD THIS SHARP PAIN IN MY LOWER BACK BUT.WHICH ARE SOMEWHAT LIKE THAT OF EXCESS SPINAL FLUID.THE PAIN FEEL LIKE FLUID BECA8USE IT  MOVE ARROUND AND UPTO MY CHEST REGION;CENTER UPPER AND LOWER BACK.I AM ALWAYS EXPIRIENCING COLD AS WELL THAT MY KEY CHAIN CAN EVEN FREEZE ME OUT .
I HAVE TALK MY DOCTOR BUT THEY HAVE RECONCILE WHAT IS ACTUALLY WRONG WITH ME.I KNOW I HAVE ALL THE SYMPTON OF Excess Spinal Fluid.I ALSO HAVE PAIN FROM THE BACK OF MY KNECK,MIGRAINE AND MOST TIMES WEAKNESS OF MUSCLE.
MY DOCTOR KEEP TREATING ME ON DIFFERRENT THINGS ELSE.
PLS ADVICE ME ON WHAT TO DO.I NEED HELP
I hope things are going better for you since 2008.  I have had 3 spinal taps which lowered my spinal fluid as well as a friend who had a shunt put in and it allowed her excess spinal fluid to slow out of her brain and relieve some of the preasure on her back as well as on her brain.  I hope you have gotten help since you sent out your first message but if i were you and you still have this issue i would talk to a normal neurologist not necessarily a surgeon because a neurologist has been able to do more for me with this issue than the other. Good Luck.  Olivia.

I had severe  problems with excess crainial fluid building up in my head after a head/neck injury about 15 years ago. I tried meds, massage, chiropractors. The one treatment that helped take the edge off was sacral cranial massage. My Dr. would use pressure points around my eyes to drain the brain ventricals of excess fluid. The first time he did too much and I was soaking wet when he was done. My urine was fowl for several days like I ate a case of asparagus. After a few treatments I felt a huge difference. I went once a year, usually around winter, something about the change in temp made my symptoms come back. Its non invasive and affordable...can't hurt.
Glad to see your post. I also have BIP. Just now after a year, getting a lumbar puncture. I am terrified of needles, blood and pain! I am scared to even think of the procedure. Did you have one? If so how did it go? Any advice for this chicken?