Neurology Expert Forum
Extreme Fatigue and numbness in toes, tingling fingers.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I recently realized that my big toes were numb.  After I thought about it they have been like this for over a month. Then I started noticing that my fingers feel funny.  Not necessarily numb but kind of tingly sometimes.  I have also been getting a normal 8 hours of sleep and am so tired all day long that I fall asleep at work.  I'm only 21 and I have 2 little girls so I am concerned that something might be wrong.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Numbness of hands and feet is a type of sensory neuropathy and can be associated with several conditions. One such condition is diabetes. This would be best checked by a performing an oral glucose tolerance test.

It could be possible that the toes and hands are unrelated. Causes of hand numbness can include conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome and is usually numbness of the thumb and first couple of fingers. People with this condition may wake up at night and “shake their hands”. The feet numbness at the toes could be from either trauma locally at the feet (e.g., years of wearing shoes) or could be from your back.

You mention being tired despite the amount of sleep you get. There is a condition called chronic fatigue syndrome which may or may not be associated with another condition called fibromyalgia which is a condition that can lead to whole body pains. This is treated with medications such as neurontin or lyrica and physical therapy. It is also important to realize that depression and anxiety can cause body sensations.

I would discuss your symptoms with your primary doctor. He or she may, depending on the findings, send you for a test called EMG/NCS to evaluate the nerves in your feet/legs and also may do basic lab work (e.g., serum glucose, thyroid panel, vitamin B12, and basic chemistry).

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
A related discussion, Something's not right was started.