Neurology Community
Extreme fatigue, weakness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Extreme fatigue, weakness

I am a 20yr old female who has had no serious medical issues in the past. Over the past month I have been experiencing extreme fatigue that is like being intoxicated constantly, a general feeling of weakness that seems to be more predominant in my left arm and leg and muscle tingling/twitching/pain throughout my body, and some pain/stiffness of my joints. I had a blood test that came back showing everything was normal and some basic muscle and reflex tests that also showed I am fine. I attended an emergency clinic a few days after it first started happening and was not admitted to hospital because my vitals were all ok. As well as these symptoms I've also experienced sinus like pains in my forehead, odd crawling/tingling feelings in the back of my neck and head, over-sensitivity to light and sound and very bad indigestion. The fatigue is pretty much constant but I seem to have 'waves' of intensity that seem to be tirggered by movement. I have not lost any use of my arms or legs and can still tense my muscles, there has also been no numbness or loss of sensation, it just feels like my arms and legs are hollow!

I started experiencing random symptoms of this about 2/3 weeks beforehand, where I had a 'jelly like' feeling in my legs and severe lightheadedness/shakiness that would last for an hour or so a couple of times a week. I then started to experience a weak feeling in my left arm on and off about 2 days before the permanent onset. I spent about a week in bed with extreme fatigue, muscle and joint ache and waves of feverishness before it seemed to calm down.

My doctor believes I have a virus but advised me to go back to see him if it hadn't resolved by now. I am going back today to see whether any further testing can be done as I have had it for 5 weeks now. I am getting concerned as the fatigue and weakness seems to be worsening, although the muscle twitching and joint ache seems to have calmed down. The fact that it seems to 'hit' alot worse down my left side has also scared me quite abit. If anyone has had any similar experiences or can shed some light on the situation, I'd be very grateful.
Glad you're going back to the doc today, and since a virus would have probably worn itself out by now, it may be a bacterial infection, despite your one-sided complaints.  He'll probably do a stool sample, another more detailed blood panel, so he can prescribe medicines that will kill the bacteria.  I don't know why it hurt on one side, unless perhaps maybe pus or infection gathered up in the throat of that side, and made it more sensitive.
thankyou for your reply! i hope that this is the case, fingers crossed ill have some more answers today though. thanks again for your reply, it is much appreciated!
I have had the same exact symptoms myself for the past 4 weeks streight.  Went to the emergency had blood test and X-rays done saw my reg doctor the next day said it was a bug/virus and I was dehydrated and that I would be fine only thing this has been 4 weeks now and I feel the same. I get episodes of feeling faint but have not fainted. Went back to the doctor with a new blood test and everything reads perfect but I feel like I have a virus. My symptoms are very weak and I get episodes ever once and a while to the point that I'm going to pass out but don't, pale stool, burning headaches, left side weakness, nauseous but never vomit. No fever what so ever. No sore throat, no chest cogestion, no nasal congestion. I don't understand. I did have a sinus infection that I cured about a week before this all happened. So for the last two months I had one week Inbetween of feeling normal kind of. Someone please help