Neurology Expert Forum
Extreme leg cramping and twitching

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Extreme leg cramping and twitching

I am a 39 yr old female, for the past 3 months I have had leg cramping in both legs and feet, tingling, twitching and vibrating.  Some lower back pain - mild.  I had MRI of the whole spine -some bulging discs w/out pressing on nerves. I am having MRI of my brain tonight.  I had a EMG and it showed mild sensory damage - she had a hard time with my right calf it would not respond to the shocks so she tried my right arm and it did.   All blood tests they did  look good (one was B12 one was potassium - don't know the rest of them) - borderline on Lyme test and they will repeat it - I don't go in the woods and have never been bitten that I know - never had a rash. My symptoms are getting worse the past two days they've spread up to my groin/buttocks area - constant vibrating.  I am scared - don't know what is wrong. I was a healthy active person and then one day my feet hurt and it has been working it's way up me and now is progressing further. I live in the sticks with small hospitals. I have an appt. at your Clinic - you're 550 miles from me, but I can't  get an appt.  until January becasue there was none available.  I just don't know if I can physically hold out, my symptoms are worse every day and my muscles look as if they are shrinking.  One weird thing I have had is a slightly elevated AST for the past few years - they checked out everything in my liver and found nothing and assume it is from muscle/skeletal do you think it could be connected?  Thanks -
Unfortunately I cannot give you a clinical diagnosis over the internet, but you are doing the right thing in having it evaluated. There are a number of possiblities, and it is fortunate that your MRI does not show, for example, inflammation in the spinal cord, or compression of the spinal cord, which is important to ruleout. Alcohol excess and medication side effects should be apparent to your doctors if this is in your case. A peripheral neuropathy is another potential cause - if it is spreading upwards so rapidly it may be a form of Immune neuropathy that may respond to treatment, in this case a spinal fluid tap can help in the diagnosis. If you develop symptoms of bladder dyscontrol, cannot walk or get swallowing diffculties, these are emergencies. A repeat nerve conduction study and EMG can be used to document whether it is getting worse or better - sometimes if done too early ,it may not reveal changes which are actually there (within 3 weeks of the onset of symptoms). The AST is probably not connected.

Good luck