Neurology Community
Extreme muscle twitching after quitting smoking

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have been experiencing aggressive muscle twitching since I quit smoking a few days ago. It is much worse at night than in the morning. I have searched for "side effects of quitting smoking" and none of the websites I have come across list this issue. The twitching is mostly but not exclusively in my legs. The sharpest/most violent twitch has been in my arm. It is scaring me.
Hi Jovo,
After going through your history, it appears to me, that you are having withdrawal symptoms (after quitting smoking). Also you might be having anxiety disorder. You can consult a neurologist.
I figured as much, I just wasn't sure as it never seems to be listed as a common symptom of quitting smoking. I will wait it out for awhile. It's only been five days, and it seems to be subsiding somewhat. Thank you.
Your the first person after looking all over online or that I've met that has experiened the same symptoms has me.  I quit 2 days ago, and it only happens when I'm going to sleep and it scares the **** out of me.  I know it's been 2 years for you, but I hope you succeeded.  Third times a chram for me.
Yes, me too its been 3 days since i quit and there is considerable muscle twitching in my left triceps area and it is disturbing me.

My arm use to twitch or convulse on one quit. Now i find my neck wants to turn my whole head sideways. i just had a big cup of coffee though. ive quit for 4 months. Butteflies will be in my stomach too. Im going to sip on some water. I take ibuprofene if head hurts.