Neurology Community
Extreme muscle twitching after quitting smoking

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have been experiencing aggressive muscle twitching since I quit smoking a few days ago. It is much worse at night than in the morning. I have searched for "side effects of quitting smoking" and none of the websites I have come across list this issue. The twitching is mostly but not exclusively in my legs. The sharpest/most violent twitch has been in my arm. It is scaring me.
Avatar n tn
Hi Jovo,
After going through your history, it appears to me, that you are having withdrawal symptoms (after quitting smoking). Also you might be having anxiety disorder. You can consult a neurologist.
Avatar n tn
I figured as much, I just wasn't sure as it never seems to be listed as a common symptom of quitting smoking. I will wait it out for awhile. It's only been five days, and it seems to be subsiding somewhat. Thank you.
Avatar n tn
Your the first person after looking all over online or that I've met that has experiened the same symptoms has me.  I quit 2 days ago, and it only happens when I'm going to sleep and it scares the **** out of me.  I know it's been 2 years for you, but I hope you succeeded.  Third times a chram for me.
Yes, me too its been 3 days since i quit and there is considerable muscle twitching in my left triceps area and it is disturbing me.

My arm use to twitch or convulse on one quit. Now i find my neck wants to turn my whole head sideways. i just had a big cup of coffee though. ive quit for 4 months. Butteflies will be in my stomach too. Im going to sip on some water. I take ibuprofene if head hurts.
I stopped smoking cannabis about 9 days ago. The muscles in my legs arms and sometimes my entire body twitch randomly but mostly when I sit down to relax. I have bad anxiety which I am guessing contributes to it but I'm not a doctor. My anxiety meds help with the twitching.