Neurology Community
Extreme pain in my right elbow

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Extreme pain in my right elbow

Why would i have so much pain in my elbow after an er nurse put an IV in the far left corner of the bend of my arm.I can barely use my right arm ...I have trouble picking things up because its so painful.I am takeing otc pain medications and it doesnt help.The brusing has gone ... but i do have a little redness on my elbow.Sometimes its warm there other's it's not .But the pain never goes away.
Tags: IV administered
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello dear and welcome to the medhelp forum.  From your history it appears, there was an inadvertent nerve injury at the cubital fossa level while attempting an intravenous catheter. The nerves that traverse the cubital fossa are radial nerve, median nerve and ulnar nerve. Ulnar nerve is the medial most at the elbow. The pain and decreased function could be due to hitting the nerve and swelling.  You must consult a physician for painkillers, corticosteroids to reduce inflammation and evaluation of the nerve function clinically and with nerve conduction velocity study.  Partial injuries usually recover and nerves regenerate within weeks and months. Wishing you all the best.