Neurology Community
Extremely Severe Pain in Fingers years after injury

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My husband has absolutely terrible pain in his ring finger, near the tip, on the inside nearest the middle finger.  A couple of years ago, we were "high fiving" and I interlaced my fingers into his and squeezed (we were celebrating a win at a basketball game).  He jumped and said I hurt his finger - pretty bad?  I was shocked, as I didn't do anything odd.  Anyway, if he taps it on anything in that particular spot - he goes into a total fit from the pain - and even looks clammy and white.  He holds it out and tries to dip it in ice water.  Nothing has helped - the neuro gave him a muscle relaxer.  His nerve conduction study was normal.  His MRI was normal, except a little something in his cervical vertebra, nothing significant.  He is now wearing what looks to be a cast on his finger to protect it, which seems ridiculous.  He has even spoke to other hand injured patients (he works in a hospital), one of which had his finger amputated due to the pain.  He doesn't want to go that far, but is floored by the amount of pain and is getting very weary of it.  Surely some doctor out there could help someone with pain in their finger!?  What could be done??  Surgery?
Surgery is definitely an option if the pain is severe and constant. Amputation sounds drastic and may lead to more pain and possible phantom limb syndrome (even though its not a large body part). They may be able to go in and remove the damaged nerves or bypass their signal some other way. Of course there is always pain medication. But since it is such a small part of his body and if it only hurts if he hits it the cheapest and less drastic way is for him to protect it as he is doing so he doesn't hit it.
Just an update - my husband is cured!  He went to a hand surgeon who diagnosed him with a probable tumor called a "glomus tumor".  The surgeon was iffy, even after several MRIs, but based on my husbands symptoms and some irregularity on MRI, he went for it - Thank God!  In surgery, he pulled out a tiny tumor that was causing ALL this terrible pain.  It's okay now, he can actually use his finger.  Thought I would update because someone may search this condition and they need to know to be vigilant and persistent if they have this.  It's not too common, but very painful and had reduced my husband's quality of life.
How is your husbands' finger?  I also had a glomus tumor on my left ring finger just under the nail bed.  I had it removed by surgery and it has now grown back. I was told that this tumor is very had to get completely since it is made up of a bundle of nerves and that there was a possibility that is could grow back.  It is now more painful than ever. I bumped it just this weekend on a drawer handle and almost lost it.  My best way to describe the pain is, that it is like hitting your funny bone times 100 though the whole left side of my body. I was just wondering if your husband has had the same experience or if his surgery has been successful.