Neurology Community
Eyelid pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Eyelid pain

I went to an opthamologist a few months ago because of eyelid pain and other symptoms I was having in my eyes. The eye-pain in my left eye has persisted till this day. (now for about for 4 months) The pain is not located in the whole eye, but rather only in half of the eye near to the lacrima.

Nothing out of the normal was found in my eyes, except that they are dry. My doc didn't know the reason to the eyepain, but mentioned it could be some nerve in the top of the eye that is swollen, or the pain is caused by the neck...But continued sayng that it's something my family-doc should investigate, if it bothers me.

Now I've started to think it might have something to do with a tumor in the brain. Could this be it? Im thinking about going to a neurologist, but getting an appointment with one is difficult...

(When Im having migraine headaches, the pain usually is located in the right side of my brain and it affects my eye with more pain)

Any ideas what could be causing the pain?
Forgot to mention, that I usually feel the pain in my eye-lid while touching it,
but sometimes I can feel it even without touching it.
Could someone please help me with this a little? I probably won't be able to get to a neurologist very easily/soon, so i'd like to know what this could be and if I should be worried!
I've been having some eyepain in my right eye aswell + the top of the eye has been sore to touch. (just like the left eye) Sometimes the pain changes from one eye to another, but they never hurt at the same time. Been having headaches for a few weeks too, they usually last for 1-3 hours or so. Migraine is in the family.

If this is migraine, is soreness of the eyes part of migraine? Without headaches, sometimes?
Hi Ninah,
How are you feeling now?
I feel what are you suffering from is Migraine.
Soreness could have been isolated finding, but it could also be part of Primary headache syndromes
The primary headaches are a group of fascinating syndromes in which headache and associated features are seen in the absence of any exogenous cause.
Together these structures are known as the trigeminovascular system. The cranial parasympathetic autonomic innervations provides the basis for symptoms such as lacrimation and nasal stuffiness that are prominent in cluster headache and paroxysmal hemicranias, and which may also be seen in migraine. It is clear from human functional imaging studies that vascular changes in migraine and cluster headache are driven by these neural vasodilator systems.
After diagnosis, the management of migraine begins:
You should understand that;
Migraine is an inherited tendency to headache, and cannot be cured.
Migraine can be modified and controlled by the adjustment of lifestyle factors and the use of medicines.
Migraine is neither life-threatening nor associated with serious illness, the exception being in females who smoke and receive estrogenic oral contraceptives, but migraine can make life a misery.
Migraine management takes time and co-operation.
A little depressed, to be honest. Christmas is coming and If I don't get some pills or something that will cure the soreness of the eyes, Im going to be very sad this christmas...:( No headache right now, but my eyes feel quite tired and sore/painful (sensitive) to touch.

I had never heard of such migraine type as "Primary Headache", but it sounds like a mix of different migraine types.

One of the things you mentioned was: "Nasal stuffiness", I've been having that for months now! I've thought it might be the air or something else, but never thought it might have something to do with my headaches.

And about aura migraines...I started to see a black spot in the middle of my vision the first time 6 months ago. It went away the next day I got it, but the next time it came, a month later, it persisted for 4 months. After that, I went to see my opthamologist. She thought it was a floater, but now I've started to wonder if it might have had something to do with my head, considering it came week ago for a day, while I was having quite the headache? It can't be a blind spot, right? Considering that if it was, I wouldn't be able to see anything through it?

I have some eyedrops for dry eyes, but It doesn't take the pain/soreness away from the eyes...Do you think a CT-scan is enough to see, if this is really caused by a migraine?
Hi Ninah,
CT scan will be helpful in ruling out any other pathological conditions which will indeed be helpful.
Migraine will be the diagnosis even if CT scan is normal, as your history is suggestive.
Thank you Caliber for helping! :) Hopefully everything will turn out ok.

Merry, early, christmas!~