Neurology Community
Eyes rolling back in head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Eyes rolling back in head

My son is 13 months old. For about the last 3-4 months, his eyes occasionally roll back in his head. Sometimes it appears voluntary, other times involuntary. I asked his pediatrician about it at his 12 month well check. He indicated it's unlikely he's having seizures, but would look more into it if it continues. It seems to happen more often when he's eating. Any thoughts?
Hi, You are right in having concern about your son's health, If frequency is increasing it seems to be on worsening side so better you consult a neurophysician and get investigated, is there any family history of seizures or even birth trauma. Observe the episode carefull as your presenting history to physician is very imortant and don't live your son unattended.
Bye.
Hi there I had the same problem with my son who is 2 years old but when he was little they dismissed it as nothing now he is having seizures all the time and is on an anti convolsant (spelling sorry). I got mean and demanded tests to be done and they did an EEg and we found out that there is slowing on the right side of the brain. I would ask for an eeg to be done.
Hello- thanks for your response. I was able to get my son in quickly for an eeg. It was normal. He even had an eye rolling episode during the eeg, and still normal. The pediatric neurologist/ epileptologist (sp) diagnosed him with benign eye rolling tic, so no problem, right? However, she wants to do an MRI to be "thorough". My husband is against this b/c my son  would have to go under general anesthesia as he is only 13 months old, which he thinks is more risky, especially since the doctor said she is sure they won't find anything on the MRI. Also, my husband's brother died of a brain tumor as a child, which I disclosed when the doctor took history. Could this be why the doctor wants to do MRI? I'm with the doctor on this and believe in being thorough. My husband also says if they find anything on the MRI, our son is too young for anything to be done anyway but I don't necessarily believe that's the case. The doctor said the MRI would look at whole brain, but focus on back lobe that controls eyes. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!!!
Hello.

The tics are diagnosed usually at a later age. Your son is too young to be diagnosed. And the tics should have to be there at least for one year to be called as a tic disorder. But it is prudent to do the MRI and be sure there is nothing.  

Also keep in mind that him having the tics does not increase chances of seizures.

Regards