Neurology Expert Forum
FLEXERIL/SKELAXIN AGGGGHHHHH!!!!
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

FLEXERIL/SKELAXIN AGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Hi! I have a pinched nerve in the C5 part of my neck, my DR has given me Skelaxin to try which I hate because it makes me get abdominal spasms, I also have Flexeril and that stuff knocks me out!!!! I called him the other day (he is just an internist DO) and I ask his receptionist for something different and she tells me that he says to try the Flexeril twice a day YIKES, I would be on the floor if I did that!!!!! She claims there is NO OTHER muscle relaxant to try...Is this true??? I have an APP. on Fri with an Orthopedic Surgeon, what should I do??
  Kim
=========================================================
Dear Kim
thank you for your question,
In addition to Flexeril and Skelaxin, there are several other options for muscle relaxant, depending on the need,
carisoprodol (Soma),
chlozoxzone (Parafon Forte),
diazepam (Valium),
methocarbamol (Robaxin),
If used chornically, the problem with Soma is its potential for abuse,
Valium too, can cause dependence, when used chronically, that is your body will need more and more of the drug, in other word, it will take more drug/dosage to achieve the same effect.
I hope this information helps, one word of caution, all of the above medications have drowsiness as  a side effect. Your doctor can try a different one, and adjust the dosage as needed.
========================================================