Neurology Community
Face Pain possibly trigeminal neuralgia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Face Pain possibly trigeminal neuralgia

Ive been having this dull achy pain in my face (right under my cheek)for the last 5 months possibly longer. The pain is always there but varies in intensity usually getting worse at night. The pain is bi lateral and is sometimes worse on one side than other. Ive also been getting migraines since the pain started which is something Ive never had to deal with. Recently the pain has gotten significantly worse to the point where Im not even able to function, Ive experience this pain before but attributed it to dental work Ive had during this time frame. During this period Ive had extensive dental work on my number 10 tooth from a severe tooth infection I had. The dentist ended up doing a appendectomy after performing several root canals. Ive since seen multiple dentists  and they all say the tooth is now healing properly and wouldn't have contributed to this pain. So far Ive also seen an ENT and Neurologist and have had multiple CT scans but they have yet to yield anything.  My primary care at this point isnt really able to offer me any answers on what this pain may be. He's currently starting to treat me for trigeminal neuralgia but we both agree that I dont fit the typical mold. Im a 23 year old male and the pain is Im experiencing while severe, is certainly not as painful as Ive seen it described. The pain is also always there sometimes getting worse. Im currently being prescribed carbamazepine and hydrocondone for the pain. Im quite literally about to lose my job because of this and no one seems to know what this pain means. I apperciate any advice you can give
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Trigeminal neuralgia affects women more often than men, and it's more likely to occur in people who are older than 50. And it is triggered by simple movements like brushing your teeth or applying make up. It is usually a clinical diagnosis and MRI can help rule out causes that may compress the trigeminal nerve like a tumor. It can be treated conservatively by anticonvulsants and muscle-relaxing agents. If this fails then surgery is the only other option.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.