Neurology Community
Facial Drooping / Head Injury / Stoke?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Facial Drooping / Head Injury / Stoke?

A little history:  1 year ago my son hit the middle of his forehead into the corner of a kitchen cabinet.  He cried, but seemed OK.  He still has a bump in that spot.
Last Night:  My 2 1/2 y.o. hit the left side of his head on a table edge.  He cried, but then was OK.  At this age children are still developing their motor skills, so bumps and falls happen sometimes.  Later that night my husband noticed that one of my son's eyes seemed droopy.  1 month ago he had eye infections (crusty eyes) and had eye drops in his eyes for about 1 week.  The symptons cleared up & it was so hard to give him the drops that I stopped.  We thought maybe the eye infections were coming back, so last night I started the drops again.  
Today:  During the day my son told me his head hurt & he pointed to his right side, but he had hit his left.  I gave him 2 infant motrin, and put him for a 1 1/2 hour nap.  But, this evening my husband and I noticed that the whole left side of my son's face seems different from the right, or maybe drooping.  His left eye tears sometimes & is a little red.  The eye is open all the way and moves erratic sometimes, like the eyelid doesn't close all the way like the right one, or he looks to the left & the eye seems to float around.  He has no expression on the left side of his face.  The right eye seems to droop in comparison to the other eye.  Around his mouth it is creased when he laughs, etc, but not on the left.  He seems to be talking out his right side of the mouth, but not the left.  This seems like a symptom from a stroke?  Or could he have hurt his brain?  Right now he is sleeping soundly, so we are going to bring him to his pediatrician in the morning.  I just hope that this problem does not progress to affect other parts of his body?  From reading other posts it sounds like he will need to be examined by a Pediatric Neurologist and then get an MRI to determine the problem?  Otherwise, my son was acting normal, playing, eat dinner, etc....  Should I wake him and take him to ER now or wait till the morning?
Avatar n tn
I am a respiratory therapist and I have seen a lot of different things over the years, I do not have children, but I would recommend strongly that you take him to the nearby ER. My concern is that he might have a subdural hematoma and, when someone has a brain injury it is not a good idea to let them sleep until they have been thoroughly checked out. It may be a concussion, but I have a good friend who's son got hit in the head with a bad and she took him to the ER thank God she did cause her son had a cancerous brain tumor that had gone undiagnosed until then. It might be a crappy way to spend an evening but you will feel better if you get him thoroughly checked out now rather than wait.
Avatar n tn
FYI.  I thought I should post that it turned out that my son got lyme disease.  I did take him to the emergency room.  Fortunately, they took a multi-prong approach and did a cat scan, which came out normal.  They gave him steroids to stimulate his face muscles.  & they tested for lyme disease since we live near woods & have deer passing thru out property.  So, it turned out he had stage 2 lyme disease, which caused the facial paraylsis.  He took steroids for 4 days, and he took antibiotics 2 x's a day for 30 days.  The docs said that should get rid of the lyme disease.  In a way, it was good that he got the facial paralysis otherwise my 2 y.o. would never been able to communicate what was wrong.  & lyme disease can go undianosed for many years & he could have wound up w/ long term damage to his brain.  Thankfully, he is fine & we will re-test him for lyme disease in 6 months.  Thank you for your support.