Neurology Expert Forum
Facial Nerve Damage after Plastic Surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I had a facelift along with a mid cheek lift 3 weeks ago. My upper and lower lips are twisted. My lower face appears as if I just had dental freezing.I have feeling but no control of most movements.
I would like to hear if others have had the  same or similar and how long lasted? Is there anything I can do eg.therapy?
I am very upset as have to return to work and do not want any to know.
My surgeon suggests it will get better but I feel so alone and suffer from buyers remorse and wish I had not done. Thanks to any who respond.
I have not seen patients before with problems after platic surgery. However, if you wanted to have this evaluated further, I would recommend seeing a neurologist who can perform a detailed examination. He/she may want to perform a nerve conduction study of the facial nerve to determine if it is working properly. Good luck.
Sounds like you're really uncomfortable and having a lot of anxiety, which doesn't mean that there couldn't be something wrong.  You might want to contact your regular M.D. just to have him or her check out the area and maybe refer you to another plastic surgeon for a second opinion.  

Drives me nuts when I have pain and I don't know what's going on. I don't know anything about this procedure and there's all kinds of plastic surgery and variations of healing time.

There could be group online you could get in touch with to find out if this type of surgery coincides with the healing period your surgeon has given you.

Hope you feel better.
Bugs...

Please, do not jump the gun here.   3 weeks is early.   Too early to tell because of the nature of your lift.   I've had some serious recontructive surgery done on the left side of my face because of paralysis.   Gravity is vertical and the "sag" it causes is horrific.

I have a gortex sling that runs diagonally through my cheek from the left corner of my mouth to the lower rim of my temple.   During the healing process, my lip was twisted for 5 or 6 weeks.

My lower eyelid sagged so bad, my oculoplasty opthalmologist used the top curled edge of my ear cartilege as an implant and slid it directly underneath my left eye.

It didn't take 3 or 4 weeks to heal.   It took 9 to 12 weeks.   I am not suprised that you are freaking out 3 weeks post-op, but you have to realize that a facelift isn't merely slicing a few strips of just skin.   You have had your skin separated from the membrane that attaches it to the muscle.  You make it sound like your surgeon excised some muscle along with the skin.   If this is the case, and you are 3 weeks into the healing process... DO NOT attempt any kind of theraputic exercise.  It isn't a good thing.   If you smoke, the suction traumatizes every muscle in your face all the way down into your neck and quite frankly, into your shoulders (need I go on?).

If you have issues concerning anything pertaining to the procedures that were done, please consult with another plastic surgeon, preferably at a teaching facility where the professors are 100% up-to-date on all the latest procedures.

Did you do adequate research regarding your choice of surgeons?   I sincerely hope so, because there are some out there practicing this fine craft who are not qualified but say they are.   I sincerely hope this doesn't pertain to your case.

I have a motto.   "Never assume anything."   So, please take care and keep us informed.

Sincerely,
Christine

Thanks to Mls2go and Lady Jay for responding very uplifting.
Lady Jay, It is not clear as to why reconstructive surgery. Was it post facelift paralysis or paralysis from other condition?Please clarify.
Yes I was doing some therapy as suggested by Dr. but find my face feels tighter so have stopped.
I did do a lot of research on surgeons and he has very good reputation but 600 miles away so after 1st week all post questions on phone.
If any knows of support group please let me know.
A related discussion, j lift gone bad was started.