Neurology Community
Facial numbness and tingling
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Facial numbness and tingling

I am a 28 y/o W/F.  In April 2007 I was diagnosed with iritis three weeks after I was hit in the face after a canoeing accident.  I had one or two bruises on my face and a busted lip (no fractures or anything serious) immediately after but did not have unilateral eye pain, blurred vision and photophobia until three weeks later. My ophthalmologist gave me steroid eye drops and it was better after a few weeks.  It has returned three times (always the same eye - right) since and she repeated the steroid eye drops, which always helps.
Also about three years ago I was diagnosed with a small (I think 1.5cm) Syrinx at C6-7 after a car accident.  I have had right arm/hand radicular type of pain off and on since then. It comes on randomly and lasts anywhere from three weeks to maybe two months and finally goes away for several months.
About a month ago I started getting unilateral headaches, photophobia, eye pain, blurred vision and facial numbness/tingling all on the right side.  It was similar to iritis except for the addition of facial numbness and tingling.  The numbness/tingling in my face starts around the TMJ joint and goes to the corner of my lip, across my cheek and behind my eye to the medial corner of my eye. My PCP ordered a CT of the head which is normal.  I have anywhere from one to three of these a week.  They start at different times of the day and usually last until I fall asleep and wake up the next morning. My PCP said it could be migraines and said to return if it doesn’t get better or if any new symptoms develop.  On Tuesday I went to the dentist thinking I had an infected tooth, again on the right side.  The X-rays were normal and he even checked for TMJ and I have no popping or clicking in my jaw.  Now, since yesterday afternoon, I have started having the unilateral arm and hand pain as mentioned before.  I have Googled the facial paresthesias since it is the newest symptom (other than iritis and pain associated with the syrinx that I have had before) and it often says it is a symptom of MS.
Is it possible that the face numbness/tingling could be from the iritis, possible migraines or even the syrinx or would you look more into ruling out MS?