Neurology Community
FacialPain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

FacialPain

My pain began in 1986 & immediately increased after a root canal.  I was diagnosed with atypical facial pain since then.  It is in the left region, mostly lower mandible.  Recently an oral surgeon demonstrated that all pain could be blocked by anesthesizing the #18 molar which has had a root canal.  Not the mandibular joint block, anesthetic only around the tooth.  I know the pain is in the inferior alveolar region & all forms of trigeminal blocks have failed.  I fear more pain from the tooth extraction but the tooth (although it has a root canal) increases pain when I press it. Not sure what to do.  Also, is it possible to use gamma knife inside the mouth for oral-facial pain.  I'm looking for advice, answers, help.  Thank you.
Have you read the book Root Canal Cover-up by George E. Meinig D.D.S., F.A.C.D.?  It's available from Amazon and also from the publisher directly, I believe, on the Internet.  It tells how chronic facial pain is often caused by teeth that have root canals and are still infected and leaking (most are) or cavitations.  Cavitations are open areas in the jaw bones where teeth have been removed.  These open areas remain infected chronically and have abnormal tissue and/or fluid.  A high percentage of these cases were cured by the removal of the root-canal tooth or cavitation.  But, the correct protocol must be followed in their removal (to avoid cavitations or continuing cavitations).  The basic idea of the protocol is to take out the periodontal ligiment (always infected if the tooth is) and 1 mm. of the bony socket below it (usually infected) as well as the tooth.  For the complete protocol, see the book and of course, please consult with appropriate whollistic dentists and/or oral surgeons.  I hope this helps.  It probably will if the root-canal tooth is the source of the pain.

HarveyT
Your story is like mine! I understand this is an old post but would really REALLY want to know how yours turned out.
My pain started like yours with a root canal that never stopped hurting in 2006.
I have done everything to stop it but it stays like the red spot on my left cheek my teeth hurt but they have no root/nerve there and lots of pressure. Bending over touching my toes KILLS as does altitude changes. Sometimes my left face burns like it's on fire chewing sets it off too. It has completly changed the course of my life:(
I would LOVE to know if you have a diagnosis? Treatment other then begging for pain meds?
No one will remove the teeth because they see no fracture or infection ....and none of the neurological meds have helped the MRI's and many CT's have shown anything either.  I have been diagnosted with pretty much everything  but it has not turned out to be any of them:(
I HOPE you are well and happy.