Neurology Community
Facing Back Surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Facing Back Surgery

I was diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis in 2006.I didn't relish the idea of back surgery then,and just kept putting it off.

But my legs have been feeling heavy,and tingling and burning at times,so just recently had another spinal MRI.My spinal cord is now only 6 milimeters
thick;they usually don't want it to be below 7!

I haven't met with the neurosurgeon yet. The next step is an EMG on June 8th,so he will have as much information available as possible.

My questions are,What do I need to ask the neurosurgeon when I see him?!
How can I prepare for this?
Avatar dr f tn
How are you? How was the EMG test and result? Were you able to see your neurosurgeon? Start with the management plan and test results. Ask anything that is not clear to you and your doctor will explain everything that you do not understand. You can also write down all your question also so that you won't forget anything during your consult. Take care and do keep us posted.
Avatar dr f tn
Thank you for replying to my post.I'm in alot of pain unless sitting or lying down.So my life has slowed down alot!

The EMG showed that I do have mild neuropathy in my legs and feet.That's what makes life so difficult....not only do I have pain in my back,but sometimes burning down the side of my left leg;or tingling in my legs.And my legs feel like they have weights in them! My feet hurt so much that I have to wear "Struts" (as seen on TV),cushions under the arches,and when I'm home,the shoes come off...and the comfy slippers are put on!

The evaluation appt with the neurosurgeon has been set for July 17th.That seems soooo far from now!