Neurology Expert Forum
Failed cervical fusion

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Failed cervical fusion

I had an ACDF (C5-7) with plate in May, 2000. I felt great immediately after surgery. After a few months, my pain returned and it is now worse than pre-surgery. I have pain in my neck, shoulders, upper arms and painful tingling in my hands. There is no fusion at C5-6. Myelogram/CT shows broad based herniation at C5-6, nerve root compression and flattened cord. One NS says to operate. Another says don't. If I have a failed fusion, would it be best to go ahead and get it fixed? Thank you.
If your spinal cord is truly "flattened" and there is documented neurological deficits on examination (meaning objective weakness and/or numbness), then spinal cord compromise is a major concern that needs to be addressed. It's difficult for me to give you accurate advice as I personally have not examined you or reviewed your films. But I would lean more towards surgical options if the spinal cord is showing evidence of damage. Nerve root compression is important, but the "flattened cord" is more worrisome. Talk to your NS again, or consider getting a neurology doc to do a good exam. Best of luck.
how do u post a question at this site. i have been trying since 3 weeks and it always says cannot post new question. Please help me as i have to post a urgent question on this site.
thanks
Try to post around 8am CST.... (I don't know what time zone you are in... so I put my own time zone..for your information.)
Thankyou. I am EST so I will try around 9am tomorrow
have head nerve pain in my right buttox for 3 years now....i play basketball all the time and run distance all the time....i tried out for a semi-pro baseball team last spring and made spring training, but had to stop because the pain got really bad.......i want to give baseball one last time this year, but i need to get my back fixed before i start training really hard.....i want to know if i get a microdisectomy done will i be able to work out at full force afterwards? how long will it take to heal?  Is there anything else i can do....if i can get away with it not hurting that bad should i put it off till next year? thankyou
I have had anterior cervical fusion at C6/7 w/plate, which didn't take and then had posterior fusion w/wire wrapped around the spine. Since the posterior fusion I've had severe pain which I believe is caused by the wrapped wire.  For 18 mo I have seen many PT's, OT's, Chiro's, and am in a Pain Clinic with an Anesthesiologist, which did a CLOA (cervical lysis of adhesions) They all believed I had scar tissue until they did the CLOA which showed none. I have begged 3 surgeons to remove the wire and they won't, simply because they don't feel that is the cause of the pain. They don't however, have any suggestions as to what is causing the pain.  In the meantime I cannot work as just being upright is very painful, I cannot lift anything either. I am on methodone (15mg) 3x's daily and will need to get the dosage increased soon.  No one can offer any suggestions for the pain.  Why is the surgeon so reluctant to take the wire out and prove my wrong?  The pain specialists have told me I will be on narcotics for the rest of my life, they say that is my only alternative at this point. I am only 46.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help.  Mary*
A related discussion, failed cervical fusion was started.
A related discussion, failed cervical spinal fusion c5 c6 was started.