Neurology Expert Forum
Fainting While Sleeping?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Fainting While Sleeping?

The other night, I had the weirdest experience. My stomach was hurting, so I was just lying in bed, waiting to fall asleep. Then, i guess I fell asleep, as I had a dream where I felt like i was going to faint (I have occasional fainting spells, with no explanation). So, in my dream I got up and was going to tell my parents I'm about to faint, when I had all the symptoms of when i faint. (Weakness, Loss of vision, "the world is spinning", dizziness, etc). I tried to yell out to my parents, but I couldn't, and i thought i was going to die, Then i woke up. I actually felt like it was real, and not a dream. And when I woke up, i had all the symptoms of when i just faint. I'm not sure where my dream started, and where real life ended. I also don't know if I actually fainted, or if it is even possible to faint while sleeping.. but it made me scared to fall back to sleep for a long time... Any advice?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from you and examine you, I cannot comment on a formal diagnosis or treatment plan for your symptoms. However, I will try to provide you with some information regarding this matter.

Your symptoms may have been related to your dream.  Dreaming usually occurs in a stage of sleep we call Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep.  This is also the stage where we can have autonomic instability, where your heart rate and breathing can get irregular.  

TheseIf this occurs more often, I would recommend having a sleep study done to further characterize this.  

I hope this information was helpful.  Good luck.