Neurology Community
Fasciculations/twitching related to Hashimoto`s disease?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hello - I was just diagnosed (at least with a high probability) with Hashimoto
Avatar n tn
Thryroid problems/diseases can cause peripheral neuropathy.  Stress can cause the fasciculations.  Sounds like you have both.
Avatar n tn
Hello.  I had fasciculations in all my muscles since 1996 and went to a variety of doctors, had a lot of labs. and tests.  Also I experienced other symptoms:  numbness, tingling, carpal tunel, lighthead, headache, anxiety, depression,  memory loss,  cramps, eye irritability, frecuent infections, severe mood swings, etc.

Finally, last year, I discover that my thiroid antibodies are very high, and I have 2 thyroid nodules.  My Endo said tnat the muscle twitching and all the other symptoms are because my thyroid problem.  I`m in treatment, feeling better, but not perfect.  The fasciculations are scary and annoying.  I want them to dissapear.  Imagine, I have live eleven years feeling them all over my body, somedays more than others...
Be patient, I know is difficult, but try...
Also, be tested for thyroid problems:  free T-3, free T-4, TSH, antimicrosomal antibodies, antithyroglobulina.
Good Luck!!!

Avatar n tn
mike, have your symptoms continued, I seem to be in the exact same situation, except a little atrophy.  Have hashimoto's and other things...let me hear where you are.
Avatar n tn
hey,

This is the first time I have written to this site, but if you have what Mike has with a little atrophy, I am in the same boat, we should talk.  I live in DC and am going to the top doctors, so I can keep you in the loop.
I have hashimoto's and also have muscle twitches and numbness in my hands and toes.  I will mention that I switched to armour four weeks ago and recently tested my TSH to see if I am the right dose.  My TSH levels went from .50 to 5.25, which obviously tells me my Armour dose needs to be adjusted.  The reason I mention this is because it seems that since I switched to the Armour, my muscle twitches and numbness has gotten much worse.  I will post back after my doc raises my Armour...if the numbness and twitches go away or subside substantially then I will know that it is probably related to my hashimoto's/hypothyroidism as opposed to MS or something else.

I would also mention...that although hashimoto's makes you feel like you're going crazy or at the very least playing detective with your own body...it's important to maintain a positive outlook and not stress out too much over every little thing.

God Bless!
Hi, what medication are u on?  Ive stopped my eltroxin 3 months ago and im feeling terrible.  Also got muscle twitching, extremely tired, have nodules on my thyroid and antibody count was 625.  I am so depressed because of all this.
Did these symptoms ever resolve for you!? I went on Naturethroid last June and went gluten free & all the issues you describe are what I have had since. I went back to my old t4 med & even had the dose raised & these symptoms persist. I go to the neuro in 3 weeks. I used to be scared it was something new but now I feel it's related to my Hashi or the new diet.