Neurology Community
Fast muscles deterioration after stereotactic radiosurgery
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Fast muscles deterioration after stereotactic radiosurgery

I passed a Stereotactic Radiosurgery a year and a half ago. It was on a Schwannoma on left side S1 nerve root  Since then I have a gradual but fast deterioration of muscles and sensory surfaces in the left leg which are connected to S1 nerve and also to L5 and L4. The deterioration continues.
I consulted with prominent radiologists, neuro-oncologists and Neurosurgeons. Some of them assume that most of the deterioration is due to radiation damages of the nerves.
Is there a way to better understand the radiation damages in my body? By a special test?  By learning from experience of other patients? By reading articles in that matter?
I will be grateful to get help from the community.
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems.  Yes, it is possible that nerves got damaged due to radiation. However, a nerve compression should be ruled out through EMG/NCV studies if MRI was normal. Physiotherapy can also help build up some muscle mass. Also, nerve stimulation and spinal cord stimulation can be tried.
Please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Blank
Thank you Dr. Kokil Mathur for your advice. A radiologist which checked again my MRIs said that the tumor penetrated the sciatic nerve and may be that this is the main reason for the deterioration. I will have MRI Neurography next week which may give better understanding of the situation of the nerves in that region.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...