Feel dizzy and unbalanced while driving on the highways
I am 44 years old and being driving for years but unfortunately, for couple of years I started to feel dizzy and unbalanced while driving on the highways for long time at a speed higher than 90 km/h (55 ml/h) specially at night.  It starts by feeling flashes at my head and then the difficulty starts. This problem does not occur while driving in the city.  I visited the EN&T doctor sometimes ago and he said I do not have an inner ear infection.  I visited eye doctor and no problem too.  Then I thought of it as driving phobia and started to take anti depressant drug but unfortunately, the problem still.  This issue is irritating me and I do not know what to do?!!!
Thank you for your post! I like the idea of Balance Retraining Therapy!!
Feeling sort of relieved that others have this problem & that I'm not going mad. Realised that problem started at same time that I had severe trigeminal nerve pain and wondering if connected. Oh the horrible feeling when going along a wide road or going down a wide slope with big open landscape in front. Usually fine on small roads, actually really enjoy driving on this type of terrain but had very bad day when had to drive for over an hour on very windy roads. Really hit me then that there was something similar to motion sickness going on. Also have lots of very quick vertigo 'hits' like when car or train first starts moving next to me. Feeling that I'm not just imagining it all and will now consult Dr.
Thank you for your post. thomastonct

Please read my comment. You have a hope. I almost gave up. But I think I found the cure! It is a true story.

I am 40 years old now.I used to love driving. My weird dizziness started on November 2013 when I was in a passenger seat while my friend was driving. It was very sudden but very obviously the dizziness were there.  
I used to drive fearlessly for 23 years but all of a sudden I became disabled. Even when I drive 30-40 miles per hour, it was struggling for me and made me so dizzy and I had abnormal visual feeling like a tunnel vision. Driving became a nightmare since then. I stopped driving highway for over one year and six month.

I went to ENT(Ear, Nose and Throat), eye doctor, brain MRI, blood work, acupuncture, Korean traditional medicine, chiropractor and neurologist.
Everything was normal. No doctors couldn't figure out.
On Thursday(June 4th, 2015), I went to a different ENT doctor in a big hospital in the downtown hoping for an answer my ear is the problem but got out with disappointment. Nothing was wrong the doctor said. I am a single mother. It was so devastating to experience this crazy symptom not knowing the cause or clue. On the same day, I came to this site again out of desperation and found thomastonct's comment above. That was new. I went to a book store and bought the book "Trigger point therapy workbook" by Clair Davies. I watched several youtube video of STERNOCLEIDOMASTOID (SCM) trigger point massage.

I had nothing to lose and was going to try anything to be better. I tried the SCM massage(Please search google where to find SCM in you neck) right away several times a day very diligently for four days. Since the next day, I felt more than 50% better and today I accidentally went into high way and drove for 4 miles without stopping. I couldn't even imagine to drive on highway before because even for local road with 40 miles per hour was struggling for me for long time. Today I can excitedly say my dizziness for one year and six months were gone more than 90%. I felt normal for the first time.

I was so excited and so was my son. I really hope many of you can be cured like me. It was so simple and so easy to fix it. Current medical system was far beyond to find a cure or cause easily which is sad. However, thanks to some brilliant doctors like Travell & Simons and therapist like Davies, the author and her father, and someone like
thomastonctand who took time to write a comment for other people, I
think a lot of people will be relieved from this confusing dizziness.
I am so happy. I feel like I am reborn again. Try this massage today and if you got cured, please write a comment and spread the words for others!!!
This all started with me about three weeks ago.  I was driving to an event and hit a 4 lane highway and just couldn't focus. Like I was seeing the windshield not what's on the other side, almost like in a trance.  Feels like to you, see what there but don’t focus back to what’s important.    I had to pull over and bailed on the event and went home.   This happened to me before going over a bridge and I had that problem for years and thought I got through it with hypnosis.  On the bridge we were doing 55-65, 4 or 5 lanes and it was like a ribbon of cars all going the same so the illusion of really being still was there.  Full blown anxiety attack, sweating, fast heart rate etc.  

Seems to happen mostly on highways, multi lane and actually standing still at a red light a few minutes ago.  Almost feels like I am spinning a little and getting a closed in feeling.   Can't focus on just the road what in front of me.    I have to drive and its really messing with my brain.  It’s very hard to describe.  I sit at a PC terminal all day.  I thought it was my reading glasses and I use them all the time and even tired eyes.   Or even an over lite room and need to give my eyes abreak.  Went to the eye doctor last week and he prescribed some driving glasses and wetting eye drops. My actual eyes are ok.   I also started taking Prozac and Xanax to stop the anxiety.  It’s also feels like I am not registering as I speed up in the car.  Like the car is going faster then what I am seeing and it’s very disorientating.  I have to sit up very straight in the seat and it makes my skin and body crawl.   When I try to focus I start to get a little" out of body" feeling.  It’s very hard to describe.  
Hi all,
I am so glad have found this thread! I have been having problems driving for the past 2 years, first happened after a friend past away and was doing a lot of drives to and from the hospital, however I don't think it is just a psychological thing as I only get it when driving at speeds and get extremely dizzy and lose my nerve so have to slow down:

-Suddenly get really dizzy if drive over 80km/hr and need to slow down to 60km/hr (am fine driving in the city)
-This brings about a panic attack and I start to think am not in control, of the car and really freaks me out.
-Sometime however am fine driving at speed but get anxious now as don't know if/when will get these dizzy spells which bring on a panic attack
-Have also developed vertigo which I never ever had when I was younger

I don't know what to do as am in my early 30's and cant afford to not drive on highways.
I went to a doctor today and he has given me a referral to a ear nose throat specialist as I have fluid in my left inner ear and do get sinusy and find it hard to equalise my ears, but what was is disappointing is he had never heard of my ailments before and thinks I need to go and see a psychologist!
Im here for the same reason as others.
I had this driving at speed dizziness for at least 4 years now. It was more severe after the weekends and when hung over. I have all anxiety and depression associated with it. I have to drive 500mi a week doing house calls (construction) and it really drives me crazy.
I vent to doctors 2 years ago and they did all tests and blood checks and said everything is fine. They did prescribed me meclizine that they sell everywhere over the counter. It does help, but taking it daily is something I have ben avoiding.
I quit drinking cold turkey 2 years ago. That helped for awhile, but dizziness never really go away.
I found that I was hyperventilating, and it helped a lot with anxiety, but dizziness still there lots of times.
I quit smoking, actually switched to Electronic cigarette 5 month ago. I'm lowering my nicotine level and hopping to drop it soon too.
Its always worth after the weekend of doing nothing or lots of time spent on the computer before the trip. Its worth after I sleep too much or not enough. Its better at the end of the day, if the day was active.
Dizziness is not always there, and most of the time comes after 1/2 hour driving on highway. Same time tunnel vision comes in and my eyes gets glued to only what's in front of me.
I thank god every time I drive for one hour and feel good, like in older days when I enjoyed doing cross county trips. I actually drive and look around and enjoy surroundings. I got to get rid of this thing. I'm a motor head and have a lots of toys to go play with, but getting them to play ground is the problem. I can run quads at the dunes all day, I can run dirt bike and my Jeep bouncing around woods and rocks! Not a problem! Get me on highway and I don't feel like going anywhere anymore.
I will try neck massage next. From reading here it sure sounds like doctors know less than people on internet. They couldn't even figure out that my anxiety caused from hyperventilating. I use to have it all the time! Now its only when I drive.
I'm 37, healthy and fit.
^^^ worth = worse ^^^
I'm not a good speller either  
Hi There, I have same issue. Were you on Coversyl 4mg or 8 mg.
Ok, I think I have you all beat.  But, oddly I don't feel like the winner.  I am a 55 year old woman.  I have been suffering with this dizzy/floating/out of control feeling for approximately 34 years.  I live in California.  It started when I was living in the San Jose area back in the early 80s, out of the blue.  I was on a freeway that I had driven numerous times previously with no problem.  It started to happen with more frequency, only when I was the driver and when my speed was over 55 miles per hour.  Over the years it morphed into just driving on a freeway at any speed, any lane and for any distance.  Being next to big rigs, windy conditions, bridges and the concrete freeway construction dividers make it much worse.  I used to be able to drive without any problem for about an hour.  Half hour away, and then the other half hour home.  I am now stuck in my central valley California town.  If I need to go out of town for any reason, I have to depend on someone driving me.
Over the decades I have been to acupuncture, hypnosis, ENT dr., a general practitioner once told me I had agoraphobia, a fear of crowds!  Idiot doctor, he just didn't want to bother with a "crazy, irrational" woman.  I have no allergies, no high blood pressure, no stress, I am generally in good health.  I do have chronic migraines, but they have come on in the past 10 years or so.  Long after I don't drive on freeways any longer.  My parents and both my siblings have never had any issue with driving.  They can all drive cross country, if they wished, with no problem.
The only thing that has ever worked for me was the hypnosis.  It worked for about a month.  At $250 a visit, I couldn't afford it.  That was in about 2001.  I am sure the price has gone up since then.  
Obviously, we are all suffering from some syndrome or phenomena that is wide spread.  
Hello medical community.  This is real and we need help.  I know I am a danger to myself and others when driving on the freeway.  Therefore, I do not drive on the freeways anymore.  Ever.  This "thing" that we all seem to be experiencing is very frightening when it is happening.  It is very difficult to describe or explain to "normal" people.  They just don't understand it.  It really can make you feel like you are crazy.  Why such a common activity as driving on a freeway would be the trigger for this in so many diverse individuals is a mystery.  There has to be a common thread.  
HELLO MEDICAL COMMUNITY!
HELLO MEDICAL COMMUNITY........
I have exact same symptoms and I have same exact question from Medical research and the MEDICAL COMMUNITY to please research and try to help us who want to drive all over the country without problems. I can not drive on big HWYS due to exact same symptoms like you.
I DO NOT SEE ANY DOCTOR RESPONDING TO THESE PEOPLE. i GUESS THERE IS NO SOLUTION YET AND THE PHENOMENA HAS YET TO BE RESOLVED.

I am a perfectly healthy 33yr old from Canada.  I do work in front of computer screens all day in a fairly intense and stressful environment..

I also have been having some issues on driving on the highway.  It has slowly been creeping as a problem where I can now barely feel confident going above 80-90km/hr when I can do those speeds no problem in country roads... it's a weird feeling to be a strong driver, except in the highway.

I have no idea what to blame it to... other then keep reading blogs like this.  

I feel overwhelmed by cars on highway, feel nervous and car feels unstable (or I feel weirdly the urge to squiz steering wheel) and I can't help but hit the breaks and slow down... all of these comes down to my hands sweating and more panic...

Thanks for JennyJ776 I did go for a  STERNOCLEIDOMASTOID (SCM) trigger point massage and am yet to test it out.. will let you know of any updates...

I have never suffered from vertigo or have any other health issues..

Lets keep sharing information and although I understand it's not the same problem for all, the power of knowledge is great to be able to figure how out it relates to our own issue.

Thank you!

So relieved to have found this thread. Been living with this for 3 months and can't imagine living this way for years and years. Definitely trying out some of the suggestions immediately.
I am a 42 year old male and have suffered from this same situation for 8 years now.  I recently stopped driving highways altogether:  the movement of oncoming traffic in both directions, bridges, concrete barriers and guard rails have become too much.  I feel completely drained as a driver and a passenger and driving on all roads has become more difficult.  I know that fatigue, stress, caffeine, and driving on an empty stomach make my situation worse.  About five years ago, I had success with a therapist who used EMDR therapy.....driving returned to normal for a short time, but relief was only temporary, suggesting that this therapy did not resolve the true core issue here.  Recently, I started riding a bike for the first time in many years.  I have the same feelings of imbalance and floating.....cannot ride faster than 10 mph.  For many years, I have believed that this issue was purely psychological in nature.....it was isolated to driving alone.  The recent development makes me feel that this may be a vestibular disorder.  I have found that I have become very fearful of heights over the past eight years (which is new) and that motion is tough to take (such as rollercoasters).  Dramamine and other motion sickness remedies have not helped....this issue is not that simple.  I am resuming doctor visits and hope for some answer here.  Will post again with any information that can help us all......there are a lot of us.
Please do research and only see the very best ENT. I knew a man who traveled the world with no help and because we had a business contact in common he saw the doctor I saw in Denver.  Unfortunately she is now retired but she cured him and cured me. In my case I had gotten a concussion of my inner ear - they put warm water in your ears is all and the machine shows how your eyes react, if I remember correctly. It is called a Vestibular Concussion and to remedy it I had to go to vestibular therapy (balance therapy) and vision therapy. There is hope out there - just find someone who specializes in balance issues. Other ENT's will not be able to diagnose you. I wish you all the best!
I stated in a recent post that I would be visiting doctors and now have an answer.  I'll share my diagnosis with the hope that you find an answer as well.  I have suffered from a variety of symptoms for many years and have continually been diagnosed with panic attacks.  However, I went to a great doctor who was genuinely interested in hearing what I had to say.  She referred me to a cardiologist who did not find anything wrong on the surface, but based on the symptoms that I was experiencing, he recommended that I take a tilt table test…….and finally a test that revealed something.  I am somewhat relieved to have been diagnosed with dysautonomia.  There is no known cure for this, but there are many daily habits that one can instill to improve life.  Doctors may also choose to medicate.  Interestingly enough, most people with dysautonomia are first diagnosed with a panic disorder.

Many on this and other boards have complained of similar symptoms to me.  Dysautonomia presents differently in each person, so if you don't have an answer yet, I suggest that you do some research and see your doctor.  Good luck!
Hello. I stumbled on this thread last year, suffering from the same symptoms as many of you. My problems while driving had been getting worse for years.

Earlier this year, I was diagnosed with something called MOTORIST'S VESTIBULAR DISORIENTATION SYNDROME.

You can read more about it at: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/cami/library/online_libraries/aerospace_medicine/sd/media/MP-086-13.pdf

My doctor informed me the only way out of it was rehab. Anything that got my vision back in line w the rest of my senses. Ping pong, tennis, and juggling were all mentioned as good activities.

At the moment, I'm unable to drive because of my condition. However, I'm confident I will get my ability back. I hope my note helps you, especially if you've had the same symptoms but could not figure out what you suffered from.
I've had symptoms similar to what's been described here.
Diagnosis & treatment: I had an issue with "tracking" (how my eyes & brain work together).  I saw an opthamologist who diagnosed me with convergence insufficency, and gave me exercises to help my eye muscles respond to my brain's commands.

Also, I was helped by a chiropractor who specializes in adjusting the upper cervical spine, C1 and C2. It's a gentle adjustment, which I hardly feel.
that did not work for me.  Though moving my shoulders a lot does help some.
Have your eye prescription checked. I had similar issues with driving at highway speeds and ultimately determined my contact lenses were overprescribed due to an error. This caused problems driving at highway speeds and a floating sensation around wide turns. I experienced anxiety when alongside trucks and many of the symptons mentioned in prior posts. I had visited my optometrist several times over two years and two MDs and none picked up on the issue instead attributed it to anxiety. My contact lense prescription change from -5.75 to -4.75. What a difference and knew immediately I had found the answer. Hope this helps, sometimes its the simple answer that gets overlooked. It is common to overprescribe from what I understand.
Thank you for all of your posts.   I am an active, healthy 48 year old man.  At times during the year, I have the same driving issues when I am going above 50 or 55 mph on the highway.  I discussed the driving dizziness with an allergist and he said he has never heard of it.  I don't remember what the ENT said, but the CT scan on my sinuses didn't show any abnormalities.  I suffer from allergies on and off during the year.  I believe the driving dizziness is caused by sinus blockage, even when I am not sneezing a lot (perhaps because I am not sneezing a lot?).  My ethmoid sinuses (below the eyebrows/above the eyes) seem especially sensitive when I have these symptoms.  I don't have any answers yet, but as others have posted, it is so nice to know that I am not alone in this.  I have written down ideas from these posts, will try them, and will circle back with results.  
I recently underwent surgery for the removal of Polyps. The procedure is called FESS. However, whilst the surgery in my view went well and I am recovering after 2 weeks I am unable to drive on highways. I can drive just fine within the city and I have been. Last week I was meant to return to work and I wasn't even able to drive half way and worst part of all this was I couldn't drive back. I felt this pain in my head and my arms started to feel numb and I was able to pull over with every last strength in my body. I called my colleagues at work to help me out and whilst I waited for them to show up my whole body became numb. It felt like an anxiety/panic attack. I'm really scared and don't know whats going on. I had the same problem driving in general one week after my surgery but the ENT surgeon who performed my surgery said it had to do with the anesthesia still being in my body, that a change from one environment (home) to another (outdoor) causes this thermal change in system.
After my recent episode I did visit a hospital where they took my ECG and blood and all tests were normal. I really wish I can get some answers to my problem as my work involves me having to drive about 220kms in a day. I'm 36 years old and having been driving with no issues for the majority of my life. For my this 220km a day has been normal since 2009.  
Wow how interesting, I have had the same dizzy...anxiety while driving on the highway for the past  few weeks...really scary and weird. I do have allergies but sometimes do not realize my sinus system in my head are inflamed. Clear but can feel a little pressure in the forehead area. Well I always have taken claratin D generic for years almost everyday... ran out for the past two weeks, no claratin D... dizzy driving. I was worried like all of you but today I finally took some Claratin D not really knowing if I needed it (thought it may help)???? Wow absolutely like a new person and no dizzy floating while driving... It may be that you are inflamed in your nasal or head and not really realize it. Take some Claritin D and try weather you think you need it or not. It was amazing I feel great now and driving is perfect. I just really did not think I was having a sinus problem but now I know I was..... (It really was that)
Hello BIGdude & all, I am 66 and mine was the same as all above except that it did not happen to me during night driving. I became DIZZY and BREATHLESS whenever I was in a supermarket for more than 20 mins. There were times I had to run out of the supermarket to get fresh air even when I had reached the cashier.  On highway driving, I became breathless and had stiffness in my legs when I was descending and when I was on a straight road. I had no problem ascending or climbing and driving within the city. I was driving a very good car but could not travel at even 20kph (12mph) when I and had to park. Other drivers would be surprised why I was driving so slow in a good car. So I used to park and rest - at times even drink alcohol. After rest, I will drive for about 15 minutes and the problem would come again. No problem  when ascending or climbing a hill on a highway.  I thought it was something to do with my heart but a cardiologist checked and found nothing wrong.
It was until I had a swollen neck and doctor said I had a trapped nerve in my neck (spine). I had a minor surgery to 'free' the trapped nerve in 2009 and felt alright after operation.  I have had another major (spinal fusion) surgery again in 2013 and now I can shop in supermarkets or shopping centres for hours without experiencing any breathlessness or dizziness.
I recommend that sufferers of this ailment should have X-ray of the neck or MRI of the whole spine to check abnormalities.
I am 66, never smoked and now do not drink and can now drive average of 100kph/62mph on highways without having those attacks. Do not take medications you don't trust.
I too have been experiencing a similar problem and its so good to know that I'm not suffering alone. I am an otherwise healthy 37 year old but have been suffering dizziness/disorientation and the feeling that I'm going to pass out whilst driving long straight fast roads for the past 5 years . It doesn't happen when driving cross country. When these episodes occur it causes me to panic (I don't believe panic is the cause of it as one doctor suggested), my heart races and I feel like I'm going to lose control of the car. If I stop the symptoms resolve but will soon recur if I join the fast road again. I like many others avoid driving on motorways or dual carriageways. I also get the same sort of feeling to a lesser extent when walking down a supermarket aisle and sometimes get to feeling that I'm going to pass out. This is becoming debilitating and is starting to get me down. I've been for an MRI, ENT referral, balance tests and ocular exam. None of them have come across this before and they don't seem to understand what I'm trying to tell them, it's very difficult to explain! I hope we all find some relief/answers soon
hi 'couth15', I too have similar issues; feel dizzy only when driving on highways or dual carriageway but fine in city, B roads. What I have been diagnosed with is occipital neuralgia. This happen when the nerve holding your neck and shoulder become inflammed. This is caused by your driving posture and you paying too much attention (i.e. not relax, nervous, can be the glare too) and put move pressure on this nerve which makes you feel light headed and which in turn can affect your eye as well. I have a vertigo problem and it get worst when i am on a bridge. So my advise is go and see a neurologist.
Hi there,  I'm so grateful for all of you since 2008 to 2016 writing about this.  I've had the same symptoms as most people on here.  The thing that was weird for me was only when I was driving alone.  If someone else in car or me in passenger seat; it was fine.  I took the advice of another post on here; as I have had back problems and read Dr. Sarno's Healing Back Pain - The Mind-Body Connection.  I live in Australia, and until I came across this thread, had no one that could relate to me.  After reading the book; my symptoms have improved dramatically.  I wouldn't say it was solely the connecting my pain with my brain and repressed emotions; but I was open enough to accept there may have been some connection.  Thank you to the people on here that recommended it.  It's been wonderful for me to get back some control on highways. I hope this posts helps someone else.
hi. i'm 32 years old female from malaysia. i've been suffering the same condition (unbalanced while driving) for almost 3 years now and this slowly affects my job performance. i used to be able to drive at almost 100km/h without any worries. now i cannot even drive at 40km/h even though the road is empty and straight. i thought i am going crazy. glad to know i am not alone.  
I am sooo thrilled I am not alone!!!! Im going to take this thread to my neurologist and beg him to do something to help us. Someone has to study this, create a scenario via computer generated driving scenes to watch and evaluate what is happening to our bodies AND HELP US. We are all too young, with children and jobs, to lose our love and freedom that driving brings us.
I had these fellings since Dec 22, 2015. My neurologist has me on antiviral meds and ocular migraine meds. I think it may help little, but still have a issue driving, especially on the frwy. I feel pretty down from this and need it to stop.
I have same disorientation when driving on multi-lane highways at 65+ mph especially if the highway is lined with guardrails or tall trees.  No problem on city streets  There is syndrome called Motorists Disorientation Syndrome (MDS). Dr. Michael Gresty from London appears to have researched this since around 1985 based on my research.  It is somewhat similar to pilots' disorientation.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/cami/library/online_libraries/aerospace_medicine/sd/media/MP-086-13.pdf

Has anyone been diagnosed with MDS?  And if so, what therapy or medicines were prescribed?
I have the same problem
I have the same issue
Just discovered this thread after having a terrifying experience yesterday and wanted to say your comment summed up the feeling perfectly.
I started to get very sudden and immediate feelings of disorientation whilst driving around 10 years ago but they were immediate and passed. The closest thing I can describe them as is that sudden feeling when you go over a bump or a crest of a hill and your stomach ‘drops’. I rationalised it as tiredness and the feeling coming from suddenly snapping back into concentration.
Then a few months ago I had a horrible journey – I had no choice but to do this long drive at night as I had to be somewhere and as soon as I hit the larger dual carriageway road I was absolutely struck with terror. I’m 38 and I have been driving for 20 years now. I think of myself as a good driver, I drive a lot and I enjoy driving at speed and ordinarily I wouldn’t be fazed by speed or other traffic. But this one drive had me bolt upright in my seat clutching the wheel so hard my hands hurt. I was alone in the car and managed to talk myself through it and take it a little easier and I was able to continue the journey. Again, I rationalised it as being tired and stressed (both true). My car is also not great and has broken down a few times and I felt like that worry was a contributing factor also.
However, yesterday I experienced this sensation again to such a sudden and alarming degree it was almost like an out of body experience or something equally crazy sounding. I look back on it now and it’s still vivid and scary but it feels like I didn’t experience it myself if that makes sense?
I had taken a wrong turn and joined the motorway in the wrong direction which was fine, I had 3 friends with me and their sat navs were recalculating so I wasn’t stressing about the directions. I joined the slow lane of a 3 lane motorway and all of a sudden it was like I had no control over the car at all. I felt like I had no idea whether I was travelling at 5mph or 500mph. My eyes felt like they were darting between the flickering white lines of the road, the car in front and specks of dirt on the windscreen. It felt like looking through the lens of a camera as it auto focuses on different objects at different focal lengths but with extreme speed. I shot bolt upright in my seat, clenched my fists around the wheel and, for the first time since I started getting these sensations, I felt I couldn’t overcome it. It was f*cking *terrifying*. My friends were great and I was a mile away from the service station so they just talked me off the motorway and into the car park but I was shaking, couldn’t breathe and on the verge of tears. I really had no idea how we would get out of the service station. After a while I was able to contemplate carrying on and it really helped that my friends were there to talk to me and chat about anything apart from the driving itself. But I still had to come off the motorway and drive back on A roads (where I immediately felt perfectly fine).
I wanted to share some observations I have had about the times it’s happened to me. I don’t know whether these are connected or a cause or not but they might ring true with some of you.
1. I had a hangover. I had slept less than normal in an unfamiliar bed. I was stiff and tired and dehydrated. Whilst I wasn’t hungover in the other times it’s occurred, I was certainly tired and had slept somewhere other than home the night before.
2. Drinking something sugary seemed to help. I couldn’t have negotiated drinking anything while driving but pulling off the road and drinking a sugary drink helped me relax.
3. Opening the window of the car seemed to help once I got back on the road.
4. Driving one handed with the other hand on my knee or the gear lever seemed to make me relax in my seat more and lessen the symptoms
I’m going to go and see my doctor about this and one thing I noticed in this thread that had never occurred to me might be linked is mention of similar feelings in supermarkets. I had an episode of bizarre dizziness in a supermarket a few years back that took me to my doctor who felt it was a lack of Vitamin D. I’ve never had another incident like it but now I’ve read this thread and thought about it the feeling was the same as I experience whilst driving.
My gut instinct tells me it’s about a tired brain struggling with depth perception when faced with repetition and conflicting stimuli – so you’re tired, you’re groggy and you’re faced with grid-like imagery (same goes for the supermarket which is a pretty unnatural environment too) and your brain struggles to make immediate sense of what your eyes are recording. This throws you into a little momentary spasm of panic (the ‘stomach drop’ moment) and, being tired, that panic escalates as you’re driving a car at speed (or in a public place in the case of supermarkets) and it rolls into a full size panic attack.
I’ll see what my doctor says though…
Please do SCM trigger point massage in your neck. You can search online. I got better after the massage. I couldn't drive for over a year before. The answer could be simple. It was a miracle cure.
What is scm trigger massage? Is it acupuncture? Who do I see for it and what does scm stand for
You can google it. SCM stands for Sternocleidomastoid Mussle.
You can do the massage yourself after watching YouTube video. It is not a acupunture. I did massage it myself. I could drive normal after several days massage. Before I found out about it, I couldn't drive more than a year and a half with the dizziness.
It's probably a sudden fear, it happens to me when driving on high ways if an driving over 35 minutes I get dizzy and shortness of breath am afraid to pass out and have an accident, I try to focus on the tag on the car in front of me that helps a bit
I discovered that when I get dizzy while driving, if I put on music very loud, it seems to suppress the dizziness.
I have found the same works for me loud music and even singing along!
I have this too.  I used to drive like a bat out of he** all over the place than suddenly(5 years ago) started feeling intense dizziness,not dizzy exactly more like I was going to flip over-it is worse at speeds over 50mph and on long curves or downhill.  I am healthy 52 years old,a runner who eats well and is trim.  I take small does of high blood pressure meds but this came on nearly a year after starting current medication so hard to attribute to that.   I have not tried to replace medication which I am suspecting exacerbates this because of the trial and error side effects which mess with my active lifestyle.  I have basic high stress job, pay check to pay check and recently made some major life changes in the last 5 years but it should be a fun adventure so not being able to drive like I want is a pain. The SCM sounds promising because I have noticed that if I can relax my core and breath when the feeling starts I can sort of overcome it.  Unfortunately the fear of this happening while driving on the freeway has grounded me so not sure how to reprogram that.  Appreciate that it is a problem for both sexes as I have been told that menopause is the problem and I am not even there yet.  Thanks for this forum.
I had the same thing you are describing occur. I also went to an ENT who said nothing was wrong, however inner ear issues do affect equilibrium. My primary care provider prescribed Meclezine, and anti-dizzy medication. I used it as needed, when it started to occur, and over time, I found myself using it less and less, and now I no longer use it at all (but I still have a bottle in my care just incase.)
Hi everyone,

I have had exactly the same problems (dizziness while driving on a highway) for 2 years now, and I am really tired of it! I searched a little and tried to resume the most common inputs shared on this forum.

It looks like there is a name for our condition, and it's called "Motorists Vestibular Disorientation Syndrome."

Many of us found a relief with SCM (sternocleidomastoid) Massage.

Another effective exercise is the following "I looked at a letter, about 2 inches high, placed at eye level on the wall 4 feet in front of me.
  Then, I moved my head back and forth about once per second for 15 seconds, then up and down for
15 seconds at the same cadence, and finally back and forth for 15 more seconds all the time while
focusing on the letter on the wall trying to keep the letter stationary"

So far this is all I know, and I will go (again) to see a neurologist with this information to have an opinion and options for therapy.

I used to love driving and travelling, I am 33, healthy and love sports and travelling, and I really want to fix this problem in my life, like all of us!

Alex

"The muscles you need to massage are called sternocleidomastoid, or SCM.
They are on the sides of your neck and run diagonally from the base of
your skull behind your ears, down to the front of your collar bone.
There are two on each side, sternal and clavicular.
The sternal one is the one that is more forward and to the outside, nearest the skin.
The clavicular is deeper inside and harder to massage.
It takes a couple of weeks of practice to be able to easily get ahold of all the
areas that can have trigger points (tenderness), especially down low where they
connect to the collar bone. They feel kind of thin and stringy where they attach
to the collar bone but if there is any pain in them when you poke around down
there, you have to massage those areas some more so it goes away.
Don't do too much too soon. It's easy to say, but hard to do, because you want
the problem to be fixed immediately. This post doesn't tell how to grab them or
do the massage, it's just the notification of the solution. For details, either
get the book or look up Youtube videos for SCM or sternocleidomastoid massage.
You can do all the massages in the book yourself, you just have to be careful
about the arteries in the neck. "
I will definitely try the SCM massage.  Thank you for the advice.  I have seen every possible doctor and have experienced the same symptoms as all of your for nearly 10 years now.  I have also made a few posts over the years.......and some of what I have posted turned out to be a dead end......so I will advise on what I know as of this posting.

I think that this is Motorists Vestibular Disorientation Syndrome.  I noticed that another person suggested this as well.  This is not psychological, but is caused by an impairment of the vestibular system, which controls balance, motion and the relationship between the eyes and the ears.  Bryce Salvador (recently retired New Jersey Devils hockey player) suffered an impairment of his vestibular system that nearly ended his career.  Not sure if this is the same disorder, but he did seek treatment and fought diligently for seven month to successfully rehabilitate his vestibular system.  Also, google Motorists Vestibular Disorientation Syndrome look for a posting by academia.edu.  I don't understand it all, but this is the best write-up that I have found.

I was successfully treated with EMDR therapy six years ago and driving returned to normal (I mean perfectly normal).  However, my symptoms returned three years later and I continue to see seek answers.  The neurologist that I am currently seeing has also advised that this is some form of Disorientation Syndrome, but cannot pinpoint what is causing the issues.  He thinks that this could be caused by vestibular migraines, which I guess can occur in people who have suffered from migraines in the past.....that's me.  In order to validate what my neurologist is saying, I have visited another therapist for EMDR therapy.......this time unsuccessfully.  I think that my situation was repairable years ago, but my vestibular system is weaker now.  I don't have the mental and physical stamina that I used to have.  Don't get me wrong, I still function just fine, but it's simply harder to do the same things I did ten years ago.

I have not driven a highway in more than a year, but still drive all other roads.  I struggle on two lane roads where there is not a median, but when there is a median I am usually 90%+.  At times, I even drive 65-70mph on side roads, but cannot do the same on the highway.  It's so strange.  I will definitely pursue SCM massages and will continue to research this condition.  I am very interested in hearing what this community thinks.  I certainly don't claim to have any of the answers, but collectively I think that we can figure this out.
What should I do
Great thread. Thought I was alone on this. I get this a lot, a feeling like I'm falling w motion such as in a car or airplane. I always assume it's in my head. Get bad dreams and anxiety when I know I have a long drive ahead. Anyone have answers???? Love to talk about this: ***@****
I have the issue. While I'm driving on motorway or when I'm in airplane. I tried everything it didn't work. Don't what to do anymore !! I love to hear some advice from any of you out there or who Evers having the same issue. Thanks
Thank you for the valuable discussion. I am also facing the same condition.

I also have difficulty with escalators, particularly the tall ones such as the one at Atlanta airport. I feel as if I would fall down. Does anyone else have the same issue with escalators?
I have had this issue for 20 years, had all tests in the book  only 1 more item to reviee, the use of fluoxetine over these years. I am now tapering, check back in 4 to 6 months and i will update you.
I have the answer, check your eyes for Esophoria or Exophoria, I know have prism glasses and can drive perfectly fine everywhere
'now have prism glassess'
I had the same problem. Spend five days in hospital . Had every exam done you could think of and had everything come back good. Made an appointment with eye doctor . Turns out my eye vision seeing far was bad. Picked up my glasses and was good for a year. Same issue came back a year later while driving started getting dizzy like I was going to faint. When back to get an eye exam , turns out I needed stronger prescription . Now Im back driving with no problem.
I'm so glad to see I'm not alone in this, I for the last few months have started to feel light headed and dizzy when driving. At first I thought it was tied to lack of sleep but even when i have had a great night rest and full meals I suddenly feeling light headed when I'm driving and it rushes over me like a wave. I went to the doctor and he said that I could have had a cold of virus that caused my blood pressure to lower which made me light headed, but I don't have a cold of virus. It is now something I have to try and deal with every day when i drive, it's very scary. I've had to pull over a few times to sit and let it pass and then keep pulling over multiple times until I reach my destination. Its comforting to know it's not just me! Once I get out of the car I am totally fine, it is 100% tied with driving. No idea what to do!
I have the same issue about 2 years now. I don't know what to do anymore. Do you have any update? Thanks
omg..i have the same problem. Im 37 and exact feelings i get when driving. Did you find a cure?
I think the comments about esophoria are correct;  could be heterophoria or similar eye issue.  I have suffered from this for 10 years and had every test imaginable performed, some multiple times.  There was a brief period when I could drive perfectly. The only thing that changed was that I had a new pair of glasses, which broke a few months later.  Driving issues quickly returned.  There is an interesting fact sheet about vertical hererophoria at Clarkeye.com.  I have every symptom.  
Exact same problems. I'm 38...this is very upsetting. I get lightheaded, dizzy, feel like the car is tipping over. It's scary! Healthcare is so expensive...not quite sure which one of the possible diagnoses to pursue first. Glad to know that this isn't just in my mind.
Exact same problem. Fell 3 stories in 1989, slightly dizzy after accident, progressively got worse to the point where driving is unsafe.
Exact same problems. This is very upsetting. It is scary! I am glad it is not all in my head. I hope a solution is found soon.
Don't drive.
About 3 months ago, I had an eye exam and bought a new pair of glasses.  The eye doctor noted that one of my eyes was slightly lower than the other and adjusted my lenses accordingly.  She also put a prism in one of my lenses so that my eyes would see images in a consistent manner.  Without the prism, my eyes were basically fighting one another.  I would feel very fatigued when driving a vehicle and also as a passenger.

At first, I did not notice any difference, but about three weeks later, I began driving the highway and now commute 30+ minutes each way......all via highway with some long bridges to boot.  All of this from someone who stopped driving highways a few years ago altogether.

Note that I have a very strong astigmatism in one eye that goth much worse over a 10-year period.  In my opinion, the combination of all factors listed above were the cause of my driving issues.  Driving is not always perfect today, but it is often 100%.  I hope this is helpful to you.  Good luck to all.

I was having same problem. Im 37, 20lbs over my recommended weight. I was having same dizzy and fainting experience while driving. I started Gym 1 week ago and the feeling got better. I will update if it gets more better.