Feel dizzy and unbalanced while driving on the highways
I am 44 years old and being driving for years but unfortunately, for couple of years I started to feel dizzy and unbalanced while driving on the highways for long time at a speed higher than 90 km/h (55 ml/h) specially at night.  It starts by feeling flashes at my head and then the difficulty starts. This problem does not occur while driving in the city.  I visited the EN&T doctor sometimes ago and he said I do not have an inner ear infection.  I visited eye doctor and no problem too.  Then I thought of it as driving phobia and started to take anti depressant drug but unfortunately, the problem still.  This issue is irritating me and I do not know what to do?!!!
What is the latest on your condition? I have similar symptoms and these are being investigated but no solution as yet.
I am female from Malaysia, 46 years old and I also have very similar problems and as u said it only happens when I drive on the highways at high speeds. No problem when driving in the city. I feel unbalanced particularly when the road turns right and then the sensation of losing my balance comes, to the point I have to slow down, sometimes to 50 km/h to take the corner safely. I also checked with ENT and Doctor said no problem with my inner ear. I have a feeling it could be due to either dry eyes or perhaps also my diabetes. The problem is I enjoy traveling in my car and this has definitely impaired my love for traveling. I really someone has some explanation to my problem.
Hi.  Have you found answers yet?  Just wondering.
I have the same symptoms. Were you able to find out anything?

Check this post: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/Dizzy--and-Blur-Vision-while-driving/show/11737
Hello fellow anxious dizzy drivers - I may have found a simple and free solution to our problems - BREATH - please read on: I'm a 30 year old male from New Zealand and have had pretty much all the symptoms of above posts, slowly getting worse over the past 6 years since I developed OOS and also put my lower back out when I was 24 (which was basically a result of terrible posture, weak core strength and a high pressure job with a lot of time spent at a badly structured computer station).

I was anxious about the symptoms, but they only became a debilitating problem for me at the end of 2009 when I had a panic attack while driving at high speed on the motorway. I was very stressed at the the time as I was intensively working on a feature film script and also about to get married!

I found this forum 3 or four months ago and began occupational rehabilitation therapy after reading the post about somatoform syndrome. This has been a big help with relieving the neck pain and building better postural strength so that I can actually sit in a healthy position while driving i.e. not slumped forward with my neck tilted and pinched at the back - basically retraining my body so as to get rid of all the old bad muscle memory.

But my big break through was when I went to a new GP recently for a check up. I had it in my head that I might have an inner ear infection and that might relate to the dizzyness etc, but alas no infection to blame - however when we discussed my symptoms of dizzyness, loss of balance, confusion, anxiety, panic attacks, erratic heart beats etc she clicked that all the symptoms where text book HYPERVENTILATION SYNDROME. I have unknowingly been an "under-breather", which means I take tiny short breaths into my lungs. This under-breathing causes us to have a lack of oxygen and when our body doesn't get enough oxygen we panic and feel faint and dizzy - it's a primitive fight or flight type reaction, but it's very unhealthy to be living in a constant state of anxiety about fight or flight!

I have only just started to retrain my breathing technique but have already noticed that if I catch myself feeling dizzy I just need to start taking healthy breaths in and out again (simply put: 3 seconds breath into diaphram - not into chest - and 4 seconds out) I also plan to take up meditation classes to help with my breathing retraining and you probably should too, but in the meantime do a search for healthy breathing techniques/exercises and start practicing!

I hope this helps!
All the best
Luke

that did not work for me.  Though moving my shoulders a lot does help some.
I too feel the same but i feel i know why it is this way.  At nights the roads are pretty dark at the first place and its very calm inside the cabin which after some times makes the brain activity weak, airconditioner even worsens the situation, iam sure the people who are facing problem are running the car with airconditoner ON.  The few old cars airconditioner produces small percentages of carbon monoxide which actually makes the person driving car drowsy, i would recemmond to roll down your windows atleast for 5 mins for every 30 or 40 mins of drive to take fresh air which you can clearly see the results and try to avoid to see opposite headlights directly, hope this helps.
I too suffered from many of the same symptoms outlined in so many of the posts.  Over a year later, I'm able to drive without too much distress and dizziness.  While it is not perfect, I am no longer petrified of driving.  I'll give more of my details and bio at the bottom of the post, but here are the actions that I took to improve my case:

1) I underwent Balance Retraining Therapy.  This involved a number of tests and therapies, but the one that produced the best results was an exercise where I looked at a letter, about 2 inches high, placed at eye level on the wall 4 feet in front of me.  Then, I moved my head back and forth about once per second for 15 seconds, then up and down for 15 seconds at the same cadence, and finally back and forth for 15 more seconds all the time while focusing on the letter on the wall trying to keep the letter stationary.  I did this for about 3 days.  After 3 days, I performed this action twice per day, the second time the pace was quickened and the head didn't move as far. Similar to if you shook your head to indicate "no". Performing this action more than this does not help, in fact it can hurt. I saw a huge improvement after 3 day.
2) I started allergy shots.  I was having problems with seasonal allergies that resulted in sinus drainage.  This has helped a little.
3) I use a steroid nose spray before bedtime during the times of the year when pollens are at their worst and I experience significant sinus drainage.  This too has helped some.

All of my hearing and inner ear testing came back as normal.  No problems with blood sugar, pressure or any other test.  It wasn't until I took the balance tests where I was moving my head back and forth while starring at the dot on the wall did it become clear that something was amiss.  The dot was moving all over the place. As it was explained to me, balance problems can still go undetected even if the normal ear, nose, and throat hearing and balance tests are performed.  This was my case where I passed all those tests without identifying any underlying problem.

The other point to note is that balance is a combination of sight, inner ear balance, and to some extent, touch.  The "floating sensation" that you experience is a result of the brain unable to discern between what your eyes see and your inner ear detects from a balance standpoint.  As it was explained to me, when the brain cannot discern what is going on, it gives you that "dizzy feeling" because it can't figure out which input is correct.  The balance retraining therapy is to get the inner ear back in sync with what the eyes are seeing, thereby bringing the two into sync.

Just a short bio:  My problem manifested itself when I was 52 years old, although I had on and off problems before, usually when I was suffering from allergies. I'm a male in good health.I underwent all the testing through my ear, nose and throat doctor.  Like most of you, explaining this problem made me sound like I was nuts.  It occurred worse when I was driving on a multi-lane highway with barriers on each side faster than 50 mph.  There were occasions when I was very tired, the problem occurred at speeds as low as 35 mph. One side-effect is that I have a tendency to experience anticipatory anxiety.  That's what I'm battling now.  The way that I have worked through this problem is by driving on multi-lane highways when I'm feeling my best.  This reinforces (in my mind) that I can drive on these roads and be relaxed while I drive.  After 1 year, I'm just about over this problem, but I still have bad days due to sinus problems or occasional anticipatory anxiety where I think too much about the road where I've experience the problem in the past.  It is tough to forget those roadways where I've become dizzy and then experience an anxiety attack so bad that I could barely drive off the highway because I was violently shaking.

I hope that maybe my experience can help those of you who still suffer from this problem.  There is help. Search for "Balance Retraining Therapy" for a location in your area to see if they can help.  Determine if there is a correlation between sinus problems and days where the problem is worse.  Possibly a combination therapy will work for you too.  Best of luck!
SOLUTION!!  The floating sensation gets me every time!  For years it comes and goes.  Driving 75 okay for about 30-60 minutes then WHAM!  Road shift, unbalanced, stressed!  
The solution is to drive with your wrist/forearm area while simultaneously placing one or preferrably both hands on your dashboard.  It evens out the float and headchecks become doable! Not perfect but the best solution yet next to driving with my knees and hands off the wheel - not the safest thing but it does work.  I don't get dizzy when others are driving, just when I do.
Hello all, as mentioned above, there is another post/thread on this topic and within the past 24 hours I have requested anyone who is still suffering from these similar symptoms to please let me know who you are. Once I have an idea of how many still are, I will post the steps to give relief to some or all of you. I will have a few questions to ask such as current medications and such, so please feel free to join me over here:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/Dizzy--and-Blur-Vision-while-driving/show/11737
I've had this problem too I go to the dr in march. I also feel like my head will explode when I stand up at times
I feel the same exact way and I am also a diabetic.
Hi folks, I was driving home tonight on a 2.5 hour stretch and suddenly felt a "disequilibrium." I have had similar symptoms for years but it was intermittent so it is hard to trace. At first I thought it might have been some food I ate. Then I thought maybe it was the air conditioner. So I pulled over on the next exit and parked for 15 minutes and tried to breath deeply. As I drove home, it occurred to me that I was experiencing a LOSS OF DEPTH PERCEPTION (esp. since this "vertigo" occurs mostly at night, but not exclusively). I was able to re-train my eyes to look at signs in the distance and tracking them as they approach, then focusing on the next sign, and so on. In this way I was able to continue driving despite the "disequilibrium" I experienced. I hope this may be of help to someone next time they run into a similar experience!
Best regards.
Have you recover? i have same problem too, Im malaysian
Please let me know if you have found a solution to your problem!  I have been having the same problem for years.  It's always on the highway going over 55mph and whenever there are turns to the left or the right (also, going downhill).  I have severe problems when driving through the mountains in West Virginia and Kentucky.  I am able to drive normally on straight flat highways (e.g. Ohio, Indiana,etc.).  I feel like I'm off balance and the car is going to flip over.  I have been to a neurologist and everything is fine, my inner ear is fine, and otherwise healthy (e.g. no high blood pressure, allergies, etc.).  This is really impacting my ability to travel by car.  Please let me know if you have had any success in resolving your issue.  Interestingly, my sister has the same problem
It's 2012, and I have had the same problems as everyone else.  I just heard about something called vertical heterophoria.  Apparently one eye sees higher than the other, so the brain has to adjust.  This can cause dizzyness, headaches, anxiety and other symptoms.  If I have this, it can be fixed by adding a prism to my glasses.  I sure hope it works because I had my worst driving dizzyness ever yesterday.  The dr. Is in Michigan, so I'm going to fly out.  I'll repost after to let you know if it works.
do not waste your money. I wasted $3500 without any benefits. This is not a vision problem Unless you have depth perception issue.
Jan 2013 same problem..felt it the first time one year ago.
Thought it was related to years of night shifts, lots of hours in front of computer.
After reading above posts, I am thinking my problem is related to Breath. Do have a breath problem.
Now,
Driving! all the windows pulled up, heater/ac;no fresh air in
Home! all the windows closed heater/ac on; no fresh air in
Home to car! walk only a few steps
Car to office walk only a few steps again
Every move! car
Exercise! none (too little..)

Surely all these contributed to my driving issue on the highway today
No problem at all in the city.

On the highway, I feel going in the air, off balance..

I will practice what ""jjb2010 Nov 14, 2010" mentioned

"I looked at a letter, about 2 inches high, placed at eye level on the wall 4 feet in front of me.  Then, I moved my head back and forth about once per second for 15 seconds, then up and down for 15 seconds at the same cadence, and finally back and forth for 15 more seconds all the time while focusing on the letter on the wall trying to keep the letter stationary"

Good luck to you all.

Whilst doing the eye exercise above just now it, it occured to me that the object was at times slightly out of focus as it moved towards or outside the full field of view of my spectacles. Bearing in mind that a few years ago I happily drove a Transit van to my son's university and back - around 550 miles - in a day, without any of the usual symptoms of vertigo I normally get in a car I'm wondering whether spectacle wearing has any bearing on this. The Transit had a much higher driving position so that I would have been looking downwards consistently through the centre of my spectacles, rather than making use of the more more marginal focus towards the top of the glasses. Just a thought - perhaps I should trial contact lenses...??
Hi, Also got this problem.

My temporary solution is, while your driving or even not in driving and then you feel dizzy and hard to breath, the first thing to do is don't stop driving  but you must slow down (if your driving) and relax your mind. Make Exercise Breathing. I breath in diaphragm not in lungs because you will get in Hyperventilation, Nausea and Palpitation. Inhale from Nose and pause for 2-3 seconds then Exhale from your mouth slowly. Dont overbreath, take a sit and get also fresh air. Do this and you will feel relax.

I've been heavy drinker of Coffee and I think it was the reason why I got this problem because of Caffeine, so I quit. I also lacks of sleep and exercise.

I also visited my Doctors. They check my eyes, ears, blood pressure, cholesterol, uric acid, ECG, sugar but they are boundary normal.

I'm also Overweight and I'm only 23 years old.

So I made up my mind to hit the Gym, Eat good foods, avoid junk foods and soft drinks and I sleep more than 7 hours even I woke up early, I push my self to get 7 or more time to sleep.

My Doctor also told me that maybe my Anxiety got higher and one of the solution is to get a Self Medication.

I hope my advice will works.

I'll update you guys.
Hi, Also got this problem.

I hope my advice will works.

I'll update you guys.
I have the same problem for years but got worse last October that even changing lane was so difficult. I've seen a psychiatrist, neurosurgeon and finally a head and neck specialist. I was diagnosed with disequilibrium and just started with balance therapy. I haven't been driving since October 2012 and quit my job last month. I was trying to relieve some of life stresses so I quit my job. I am not sure if the balance therapy will help me go back to driving again. I will let you know in a few weeks. I was also given a Paxil. I was told that my balance issue give me anxiety and so I panic.

My feeling was I feel like that I am losing control of the car so I drive vey slow specially in curves. I have to drive with my right hand in the stirring and my left hand hugging myself and my body leaning to the right. It used to be on the left only but last October when  changing lane to the right, I felt the the star is slipping out of control and I have to break. Sudden jolt cause me to panic. That's why I stopped driving. I've even went to see the acupuncturist to no avail...

Disequilibrium diagnosis makes sense to me but not sure if the therapy will help. I was told That my balance will not o back to normal but will improve by therapy. Among my home work training, I also do some balance exercise from you tube...
Hi everyone,
I'm having some success this week. If you want the long version, I just typed it out in the comment section for Ryka.  The short version is that inflammation in my neck is causing my googly eye problem, and not my eyes. My problem is just the road looking like it's slanting, and feeling like the car is on it's left wheels while on the highway. No problems when not driving.  I got a NSAID shot on April 3rd, then started taking Oxaprozin 600mg twice a day. I drove home every day last week on the highway including once at night. I' m not driving in the left lane, but I'm not leaning halfway across my car. I guess this version isn't that short, but I'm really excited that this is helping!  I hope it helps you too.
Oops, my other post was on Rayka, not Ryka.
Ok, the Oxaprozin helped for a month and a half. After that, I read Dr. Sarno's book on back pain. It actually helped as much as the Oxaprozin. I tried physical therapy. After a lot of tests, they had me do exercises where I move my head as if shaking it "no", while either looking at my thumb, or looking at a letter surrounded by a checkerboard pattern, while walking. It didn't help. I'm trying optokinetic stimulation to see what happens. I think I have visual vertigo. I found 3 videos on you tube, and I downloaded a 3d flying screensaver and an asteroid screensaver to stare at. I also downloaded a car racing game that I tried out today. I'm feeling a tinge queasy from that one.  I'll let you know if it helps.
I thought that I was going nuts!  I've had this very same problem for five years.  It always happens at speeds of 50 MPH +, and I don't feel safe driving at speed on motorways.  I avoid driving for distances if I can.  I am 57 years old.
Hi all... I am so happy to find your posts... driving into work was HORRID today.  I didn't think I was going to make it... I am experiencing all of the same symptoms.  Seems to be worse when it rains.  I drive a lot.  Has anyone noticed the weather can make it worse? also, when Im in the car for more than 10 or fifteen minutes.  I find my seatbelt drives me crazy. The uncomfortable feeling goes from the side of my neck up behind my left ear.  Feels like my head is gonna pop off.  Also, I had an issue with a dental implant.  It had to be removed.  Has anyone one else had extensive dental work done when these symptoms began?  My ears feel like they have liquid in them.  I can actually hear little "bubble" sometimes..
I'm 42 with controlled mild high blood pressure. I live in the north east US.
I have similar problems and mine started after I had a  metal implant put in my upper left side of my mouth in June. After having it done, that weekend was the first dizzy/faint spell and heart palpitations that I had.    I have had my thyroids checked, EKGs done, an MRI of the brain and now I'm going to have stress test done. My pressure is up, I am overweight and do need to watch my sugar intake.  They also gave me Xanax for what they are calling anxiety attacks, but I do not take it.

This feeling is unsettling because it happens out of the blue and then takes over from the time I get on the metro, when the trains are moving fast until I drive home.  The drive home today was horrible. I literally stopped to get out of the way of fast moving cars, that seemed like objects flying by and I followed a bus so I could stop frequently to regain control over myself.  I have been driving for 25 years and now this happens.  It is frustrating when you all of a sudden get in a car to drive and now you feel like a new driver all over again with heightened anxiety.  I was very independent and drove myself everyone, but now I can barely drive around the corner without this feeling. Please help.  
I have never posted to a chat room before, but I wanted to share some news. I too have had these same issues for 3+ years.  I have no issues in driving in the city on roads that I am familiar with; however the minute I go onto a freeway or travel at any speed greater than say 50 mph on roads I am unfamiliar with I feel like I am going to fall over.  The best way I can describe it is the feeling you get when you put on "coke bottle" eye glasses with a prescription that is way too strong and you try to walk around. I felt like it started out of no where and was quite debilitating.  Anyways, my short story is that after 3 years I believe I have found the issue.  It was my blood pressure mediation.

I was on blood pressure medication for years and never connected the dots.  I thought it was my multi-vision contact lens, my eye glasses, anxiety, craziness, etc.  My doctors, optometrist, physical therapist all had no idea - I am a 46 year old male in good health.  But for an unrelated reason I had to stop taking my blood pressure mediation for three weeks...and all of a sudden I notice I was driving on the highway with zero anxiety or dizziness (I drove out to our lake house - normally I have to pull over to have my wife finish the majority of the 2 hour drive).  I just thought it was an anomaly and still didn't put two and two together.  I then went back to my doctor who put me on a different blood pressure medication. And shockingly, I couldn't drive to the lake due to the same dizziness issues.  I immediately stopped taking my new bp medications and what do you know I can drive anywhere!  It did take some time to get "reacquainted" with freeway driving, but I am good!  My doctor still doesn't believe there is a correlation, which makes no difference to me!

I'm not sure if this helps anyone, but if it can help one I would be so happy!  Of course I am not suggesting that anyone stop taking bp medication. This is just some information to share.  I was on bp meds for slightly elevated blood pressure.  I have since dropped 20 lbs and exercise daily to stay off the meds.  But talk about a motivator!  I feel like I got a piece of my life back.  

Good luck!
I need help, Please someone  give me some advices
I am 56 years old, smoking, have tyroid problem and high cholesterol taking medicine daily thyroxine 112 Mg for tyroid and atorvastatine 10Mg for Cholesterol. But daily I fell healthy normal life working, eating, sleeping..
This is the first time in my life to have a symptom like this. On 10/11/13 when I was driving and I felt dizziness , nausea, unstable felling in 1 minutes I stop and rest for 5 minutes I felt ok, but  next day 10/12/13 morning after driving for 2 miles, especial get on freeway for more 2 miles, symptom star to develop very quickly, feeling look like nauseous, vomiting, unstable feeling , nervous, heart bit fast and faster, both arms and legs so weak  , body get wet, have to pullover.  Called family pickup my car and drive me home, in same day at night I got the same problem again. Only happen if I am driving, no problem seat in the car with someone driving, and I felt normal to do all activity, I read all in this room but  no one have the same vertigo symptom  I went to see family doctor on 10/14 checked and exam  everything ok, doctor  said with this symptom  I have a vertigo problem gave me meclizine 25 mg, this drug used prevent seasick and refer to specialist doctor but take a week for appointment . And aloso I went to see OD doctor to exam my eye, all normal, don’t need  new glasses.  I am so worry about my job,  and I work in field services I drive a lot daily , this morning 10/15/13 I tried go to work but I got same problem on freeway, I have to pull over and call for help. If this happen exist so long I will lost my job,  Please someone help me.
Thank you
It's really interesting to me that so many of us have similar problems, but with different twists. Some people have been helped by changing medication, some by breathing differently, some by the chiropractor etc. I tried glasses with prisms, which helped for 4 days; NDSAID's which helped for 1 1/2 months; dramamine, meclizine etc which never helped; the chiropractor which never helped; physical therapy with balance retraining, which did not help. I am a happy camper though, because I am doing better. Unless it is sheer coincidence, it is because I read "Healing back pain: the mind-body connection" by John Sarno.  I read about it in Runner's World magazine and told my sister about it because of her back problems.  She had success, so she sent me a copy. My back doesn't hurt, but I was having a lot of headaches ( almost daily), acid reflux, and TMJ. I read the book this summer, and immediately, I was driving just as well as I had been on the medication. It's not perfect, but I haven't had to pull off the road, or take the back roads since. Moving into the left lane still bothers me, but I am now able to pass people, and semi's.   I noticed when I pass semi's sometimes I get a weird feeling in my nose and sinuses. I think that is from the anxiety of having to deal with this for a year. I like to have quick access to the slow lane just in case I might feel off balance. I haven't had any problems on the back roads, even on two curves that I used to slow down for.  Last Sunday I made myself drive in the middle lane of a three lane highway for a mile or two. That was progress!  I’ve caught myself going as fast as 75 on my way to work, as opposed to 50 this time last year. I feel hopeful that this will continue and I'll get my confidence back.  The book doesn't really talk about driving, but it does talk alot about inflammation, and it mentions dizzyness.  I am down to about 1 headache a week, and my acid reflux is better too.  I hope this helps someone, because it feels great to have hope.
I hope this comment gets to you. I just posted, because I am doing better
This sounds like me. For the past 5yrs.  Do you have any allergies? Ear throat nose issues?  I have polups in my sinuses that i am having surgically removed. The medications i am taking to shrink polups has actually helped me drive better. I no longer pull over on the road. I still cant drive in the left lane BUT i WILL drive perfectly fine after this surgery.
am 21 and I just came back from dubai ... I felt dizzy at the highway at night .. And it was very terrifying cause no one else in the highway just me .. Plus my parents didnt kmow that I was outside that late ! It wasn't easy at all.
I never had this before, but from a couple of months to now I'm having it and its only getting worse, Im 30 years old. It gets worse with me when the highway does a curve to the right side, it feels like i cannot control the car anymore and I'm going to crash into the middle concert that separate both ways. I had a very bad episode today, i got so dizzy that i had to pull over or i would crash, I'm very scared and i will consult a doctor at the end of the week.
Please let me know if you find any solution on this problem. I am 31 years old lives in Sacramento, CA has all these similar symptoms and have no allergy yet.

1. It started with the problem with driving at night time on freeway above speed 55mph. And problem was severe if its a night time.
2. Also I use to get attack all of a sudden and could not control a car even a lower speed of 30mph. This is too serious on freeway.
3. If it is a curvy road with banking the more I feel loosing balance. And get more scared.
4. Now its getting more worst and I cannot drive even on a city road with a speed of 20mph.
5. My blood test, ENT test, vision tests are normal. And had infection to right ear couple of times in a month. Primary care doctor gave me some antibiotics for that but apart from that my problem is same as before. And I am still unable to drive car any more.
6. Since exact problem is yet diagnosed making me more and more frustrated.
7. I started meditation and sudarshan kriya yoga but no improvement to improve breathing if it is related to that.
8. I am planning to have a MRI scan this week but still skeptical if nothing diagnosed again then what ?

Please let me know if you any body of you get this problem resolved ?
Google Vestibular Migraine

I have been having the same symptoms with my driving for 3 years.  I have been to several doctors and most of them said I was having migraines.  I didn't believe them for a long time because I did not have a headache.  I started to do research and found vestibular migraine.

Vestibular migraines affect the proper functioning of the body's vestibular system, the system responsible for governing balance and the ability to perceive spatial movement.

Symptoms:
Vertigo
Imbalance
Unsteadiness
Extreme sensitivity to Motion
Vertigo caused by movements or scenery

Im 17 years old and ive had these same problems for the past few months. Im an occasional weed smoker and i used to think that i got it from driving high, but then recently as in 12/22/2013 i was driving down a highway not high, going about 50mph and still having the same problems. i also used to think that it was because of paranoia. Because when i used to drive high just the sight of the car behind me would make me paranoid, but then also on 12/22/2013 i was driving with no car behind me at all or in sight and i still got all the symptoms of what you guys are saying  

This could all just be happening to me because i smoke weed, but I feel like the two issues are unconnected and i would love to figure out what this issue is.
I'm a 46 year old man.  No major medical issues prior...good weight good health, pretty active.  Two Novembers ago I woke up with a really bad stiff neck with muscle spasms. Doc said it was tortacollis.  Sometime later I was driving through a tunnel and started to have a panic attack...I had to talk my way through it...kept telling myself I would be just fine, and I made it through.  A months later I was driving on a highway and I saw a really big bridge in the distance...I again started to panic, so bad this time that I actually pulled off the highway and got out of the car.  Again I had to talk myself into it...I had to go over the bridge and my rational self kept telling me that there was nothing to fear...but boy was it hard to get over that bridge...going down the other side was no problem.
This anxiety is becoming more common for me only when driving on highways....I love to travel.  Lots of traffic at high speeds and construction areas where there are no pull off areas, push me to the point where I think I'm going to pass out... I start feeling really light headed...like the car and I are starting to float away!
This has to stop.  After reading all these posts I think mine has to do with either my neck problems or some sort of visual vertigo.  
Just curious...does anyone else spend a lot of time staring at electronic devices everyday?  Tablets, computers, cell phones?
Excellent... thank you!
What causes all those symptomps while driving is anxiety or panic attacks. They are coming from depression, stressfull, anxiety, fear in everyday life. While you are driving your anxiety increase, because of the speed. There is nothing wrong with eyes, brain, heart, neck, ear, etc....I went through all the tests and found nothing wrong with any parts of my body. I'm currently taking Lexapro for my depression and I'm now taking a higher dose to help with my anxiety or panic attacks, especially while driving. Also there is a medication called Ativan, it will help you with short term anxiety and panic attacks, the medication will start working in about 20 mins, but be careful, because Ativan is extreamly addicted. It should be taken as needed not everyday. Lexapro is for a long term medication and it requires to take everyday, but it will take weeks before we see the result. Email me if anyone wants to know more details about antidepressants side effects, symptoms of anxiety, panic attacks, etc...... I have been through all the above symptoms and I would like to help anyone that needed help and not sure why you have all those problems and symptoms. ***@****
Hi... my name is Chet and I live in Kentucky. I have a very similar condition. I have mild dizzy but the worse experience is when I drive on the highway and I also have dry eyes. Have you found any solution or has the problem gone away?
I found this thread very interesting as I've had symptoms similar to those described here. Blood work showed hypothyroidism, but my doctor also wanted to do an MRI (Normal).

After treating my hypothyroidism with Levothyroxine, the symptoms of this weird imbalance at high speed driving is gone, thankfully! It was a very uncomfortable and odd feeling.

Again, maybe unrelated, perhaps my symptoms just went away after 5 months, but I do think there was a connection to low thyroid hormone. I hope this post may help some of you.
Your are absolutley right that anxiety and panic attacks can cause all those systems and play a major role in driving fear. I can't say that I ever had a panic attack while driving,all my panic attacks happened at night, usualIy after I was asleep appx 1-2 hrs.
I use to drive up and down the East Coast all the time, no problem. For the past 10 yrs (I'm 52) I've dealt with problems driving, mainly on the highway and/or roads traveling at speeds greater than 50 mph. And it did not happen at the onset of my panic disorder, it was a gradual thing. I tried just about everything suggested for panic/anxiety: anti anxiety/depression meds, self help programs, "getting back out there" on the road. The meds sent me into some of the worst panic attacks I ever had in my life, and let me tell you that was BAD. And if I got past that, I felt so zoned out, I actually went through a redlight with kids in the car, and I said "that's it, can't do this". I envy people that can take the "anti" meds, nice fix it it works. Nothing has helped. I mean there have been times that I felt normal, like I used to about driving the highway, but those I could count on one hand. I am coming to the thought that my problem is related to something else going on, such as thyroid, equiliberium, sinus, or allergies. It seems as though everytime I travel speeds greater than 50 that I have sinus issues, not saying driving brings them on; maybe I just notice it more. Also, I just don't feel connected to my surroundings when driving distances at high speeds, it is hard to explain the only word that comes to me is surreal. And there is something that I have done for quite sometime, I hold my one ear shut, don't ask me why. It is like a subconscious thing I do, when I start to have difficulty it seems to help. I have always been prone to motion sickness, so wondering if that doesn't have something to do with it.
After reading numerous posts here, I do believe it could be a number of things other than anxiety/panic disorder.
My thoughts go the opposite, that maybe it is other physical issues causing the problems with driving - that cause the anxiety, which makes it worse. I just know that I am really tired of being limited in my driving.
High Surfun!

Is your problem solved or still. Please tells about your stat.

Honest male
High Pairoj

Does the  Lexapro helped you in solving the problem or still it annoying you. What about Ativan? I know it is a strong medication but does it solve it temporarily or it continue for days weeks and how often you take it per week?

Thanks,

Honestmale
This is exactly what I experience when driving! I'm getting so frustrated that I can't drive on the highways. I have also developed anticipatory anxiety for the roads where I have had the breakdowns! Thanks for sharing this! How are you doing now?
Have you seen an Ear Nose and Throat Doctor for the Bubbles in your ears?  I did find out that I had extra fluid in my left inner ear. The gave me meds and now I need to return to check.
Did you ever get diagnosed, and was there help?
Have you gotten a diagnosis and are you being helped?  When I'm in the car, driving or not, I feel like it's going to tip over, usually to the left.  High speeds are worse, but even lower speeds are a problem if they bank to left.  This has been getting worse and effecting my quality of life.
Hi Ravineflyer. I (am 38) experienced same exact thing as you, But, only on highways. Good health, good weight, active. Same problem, neck stiffness, is it too much computer work? Too stress?
While driving, after a period of time, specifically on highways as speed increases, feeling like gonna lose my conscience or blackout. What is this? Is it too tense or too anxiety? Making blood slows down to the brain? not sure. But driving normally when exiting the highway.
Tried to breath and slow down, help a bit.
I have been having the same horrible problem, love to drive need to drive. My doctor told me to watch a You Tube video on  ....The Epley maneuver or repositioning maneuver is a maneuver used to treat benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) of the posterior or anterior canals. Try this I followed this maneuver for a month before I had to go on a highway trip I couldn't get out of. The trip went well driving two days over 55 no problem. But then I stopped doing the maneuver and the problem came back so if it works for you .. Keep doing it. Hope it helps me again , I have been at it for a week.
Imagine my tractor trailer driving next to you.  Imagine the truck driver with all the symptoms described from other posts.  Imagine how the driver feels when he is nearly out of control.  He can't stop because he must earn a living.  Imagine my truck crushing the other car in a wreck.  Who is the passenger?.......a doctor who won't research this issue because there isn't enough funding to do so.  It is going to take multiple deaths on the hwy before any research begins.  Meanwhile, dizzy CDL driver makes his miles.  Trust me....im not the only dizzy cdl driver with these symptoms. My God....please doctors.....this is a real symptom.  Do the work.  Figure this out.....or we might eventually meet on the hwy.
Wow! I am so relieved to find this forum.  I have been experiencing this for about 2 years. It has gotten worse over the last year to the point that I have been considering not driving. Doctors are not sure what is going on. My symptoms include a sensation that the car is going to flip over any time I curve left or right at speeds more than 50 mph, anxiety during the curving, and difficulty driving on uneven paved highways (mainly an issue through construction zones despite the reduced driving speed). Curves to the right are worse than to the left. It has really been frustrating as I average 3000 miles a month on the road driving on avg 70 to 80 mph. Now, if I drive myself,  I must stay in the slow lane doing the minimum to be on the highway. (I am quite sure this is irritating for the many trucks that are stuck behind me.) The doctors believe it is psychological as my eye, ear, and blood tests are normal. The only other recommendation was to lose weight as I have gained 70lbs over these past 3 years and take some anxiety meds for whenever I feel anxious. Again, so relieved to know I'm not losing my mind! I will definitely revisit this conversation with doctors and specialists.
You describe me to a T.  Where are you now with this problem?  I am ready to get to a physician and guess that I should start with an ENT.  Please let me know if you have found relief?
Wow! I did a search for "vertigo while driving" and this came up. I thought I was going crazy and developing an anxiety disorder that was getting out of control. All of your experiences are so similar to mine. And like all of you, this doesn't happen when i'm walking (and I go hiking in the mountains! at the edge of overlooks!) or when I'm driving at slower speeds. It really does feel like I'm going to tip over and that the car will just slide right off the road.

I first noticed this in 2007, on a trip to the mountains of North Carolina, but it was minimal, and I chalked it up to driving on unfamiliar mountain roads in the dark. At that time, I was living in a mountain town, and frequently drove on the highway, in the mountains. I was used to it. In 2010, I was going over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, and it wasn't the bridge itself that gave me the disorienting sensation, but the way it rose up. The peak of the bridge was up high, and all around it was just air, with no point of reference.   Then, last year, my family and I went on a camping trip in western Maryland, and that was one of the worst driving experiences I've ever had. I was freaking out, palms sweaty, heart racing, and yelling at my family. I had to drive side roads, taking twice as long, to get to our destination. A month later, I had to drive to Michigan and back, via the Pennsylvania turnpike. Somehow, I made it through Pennsylvania, in the rain. But it was on the way home, during a massive downpour that I had to pull over and cry. We couldn't even make it all the way back, due to dusk and fog impeding my vision. Again, I had to take back roads, which took three times as long.

I thought it could be sinuses, my neck problems, an anxiety about something else manifesting itself this way, since I drive a lot.I thought it could be car problems, or worries about car problems. I had recently had a car break down on me on the side of a highway. I knew I wouldn't have the money for car repairs if something happened, so I considered that as a cause. On the trip home from Michigan, I was pretty sleep deprived, so I'm sure that was a factor. I thought I was really just remembering some previous anxiety, and that the memory or association was triggering it. I got anxious over having anxiety, because I DON'T want it! I grew up with a mom who gradually stopped driving in the rain, over bridges, on the highway, and at night. I've been afraid of ending up like that. I used to always push through any fears or hesitation, so I could be free of those fears. And then this developed.

I live in a mountainous (small mountains) area, full of curvy roads. In order to visit many of my friends and relatives, I'm going to have to drive through the mountains. At this point, I can't imagine going anywhere, for fear of not being able to make it. There were some weddings that I skipped this summer, because of this problem. I'm extremely embarrassed of this condition. My teenage kids are aware of it, and we've talked about me possibly going to therapy for this. That might be the needed, just to shake off any residual anxiety, but it's such a relief to know that I can start with a few easy steps. I'm going to start by getting new glasses, going to the chiropractor, dealing with my chronic sinus infections, and such. It's something that I know I will have to overcome. I cannot let this go on for the rest of my life. At least now I know I have some things that I can try that will help.
Hi Luke,

Can you tell me how your driving is now?  Im in the same boat as you and from NZ, also very determined not to let this get the better of me.

Hope to hear from you

regards

Jan
Hi, Have you found a solution to your problem, I am facing the same problem for the past 3.5 years.
No, I havent. Was thinking about going to a hypnotist, to try and eliminate the fear from the mind as doctors dont seem to have any answers.

Jan
Reading these posts make me feel better that I'm not crazy. I'm 24 and have been having a lot of trouble driving on highways with high accelerations. If I drive in the city, I am completely fine. This problem began a few months ago. I feel dizzy, unbalanced and that I'm impaired. I don't feel safe and typically pull over and freak out from the fear I just experienced. I travel a lot and do not want this to ruin my life.

I've seen a doctor and he tested me for anemia and vertigo, everything was normal.

I am intrigued by the balance therapy suggestion. Does this work and should I seek out a specialist? Do you think doing more yoga would help my problem?

Thanks.

Thanks.
thank you everyone, so glad i am not alone. i tried 3 times to get to work today. got half a kilometer, turned around, got home, had a cup of tea then tried again after about 1 hour but still couldn't do it. hence why i am here!

i have had this "thing" for the past year but my attacks are severe, like heart attack stuff. i have been to see all the docs, took the pills they gave me which to be honest has helped by about 20% overall, had all the tests which all came back normal which i was surprised about! but i still struggle going into big supermarkets and stuff. i have even had to arrange my complete life around, when to shop, how to get to work, how to react!! etc. socializing is not even on the cards for the foreseeable future. i am 37.  

from my point of view i can kind of see the invisible line/freak out/panic attack coming an hour or so in advance,knowing roughly where i will be in an hour or so for example starts to trigger it.

i have tried everything, cut down on alcohol and rolling tobacco. i work outside so am fairly healthy apart from the above!

my GOAL is to push through the invisible barriers ie for example the other day i was pretty bad but i had to go get cat food, the shop is 15 mins walk up hill. on the way there it was like i was dieing, dizzy, too hot, confused etc. i get to the shop whilst (in my head) freaking out, rushed in and out within 30 seconds. there was no-one there apart from the lady, no-one outside so i had a breather then pushed on again. it took me around 2 hours to get back because i was in like another body. horrible scary experience but i had made it home and maisy was fed. after an hour i started to feel "good" knowing that i had "beaten" this attack because half way up that hill i wanted to turn back and phone my friend to pick up the cat food.

my point is that from now on (ps this is my own opinion, it does not reflect on any of the great posts above) i am going to battle against these attacks,fight them, if i can "beat" an attack each day then i will convince myself that i am getting better. so hopefully i will stop these things. (touch wood).

i hope some of that made sense, it was hard to write. i truly wish the whole lot of us the best. BE STRONG
I have been going through this for 4 months and was finally diagnosed with vestibular migraines. This seems to be a poorly understood phenomena amongst ENT Drs. My first ENT guy literally gave up when he couldn't find anything wrong with my sinuses, etc. I was negative for BPV, Labrynthtis, blockage of carotid artery, blood pressure issues.

It works like this Migraines drive balance issues causing anxiety. This is a big feedback loop in your mind so after awhile, anxiety can cause balance issues. Hightened anxiety about balance can cause anxiety attacks which in the extreme can make you feel like you are having a stroke or a heart attack.

Find a really good ENT person and ask for a rotational vertigo test. This will determine if there is anything wrong with your inner ear/balance. If there is nothing wrong with inner ear, chances are you have vestibular migraines. These are treated with a variety of stress reduction techniques.

Finally - don't get talked into various anti depression drugs for the anxiety. The drugs don't fix your balance, can actually make the dizziness worse, and have horrible side effects. If you are on them currently, try to get off them (under a doctor's supervision). It may mean you can't drive for awhile but that is better than a life on anti depressants.

I am not 100% cured but I can tell already that knowing what is happening to you when you experience balance issues goes a long way to reducing the panic.

Good luck
Further info on migraines - turns out there are facial nerves that can become overly stimulated via Migraine. That pain feels exactly like a sinus infection - even to the point that you develop ear aches - I also suffer from chronic sinus infections. The difference is that migraine driven sinus pain frequently doesn't have associated sinus drip or fever AND can simply go away when the stress is removed while sinus infections typically last 7-10 days.
I had this problem as well for a few years. I have found a solution I was a heavy drinker at night and on weekends I also smoke and it would seem to be worse when I smoke and drive. I have quit drinking and I don't smoke on long trips anymore. After a month or two of not drinking at night or weekends anymore the dizziness while driving has gone away. I am able to drive at speed with no problems. I have read all the posts and they had fit me to a T. I'm sure their is some coralation with smoking and driving as well because it would cause I lack of oxygen to the brain.  If you are not a drinker or a smoker I would look into the medications you are taking that could be a cause. I hope this has helped somebody happy driving.
I had this problem as well for a few years. I have found a solution I was a heavy drinker at night and on weekends I also smoke and it would seem to be worse when I smoke and drive. I have quit drinking and I don't smoke on long trips anymore. After a month or two of not drinking at night or weekends anymore the dizziness while driving has gone away. I am able to drive at speed with no problems. I have read all the posts and they had fit me to a T. I'm sure their is some coralation with smoking and driving as well because it would cause a lack of oxygen to the brain.  If you are not a drinker or a smoker I would look into the medications you are taking that could be a cause. I hope this has helped somebody happy driving.
DebbieW818, I am going to try the Epley Manuever and see how that works for me.  I have issues on the highway especially with curves to the left so I think that it is my left side that is the problem.  Thanks so much for this post and if it works I will update you.
    I have had the same problems everyone is describing for around 4 months.  I did the ENT deal with BPPV, that didn't help. Next went to a neurologist, he said it was vestibular migraines. My first time at the physical therapist she moved my head back and forth  (like the no motion ) for 2mins. The next day my driving was horrible. I can usually drive in town at  slower speeds, not after the P.T. The day after that my neck swelled up. Next trip was to a D.O. did an MRI. of my neck and have multiple bulging discs and narrowing pathway for spinal cord.  The discs are both pressing on nerves affecting my left side. Hopefully this is the cause of the driving problems. I'm 38 healthy, drive a truck for a living  (not the last 4 months) and have never had damage to my neck. Hope this helps, with all the tests we've all done this is the only one of mine that has shown a problem.
Check to see if you dysautonomia, I had the same problem. I went to a heart doctor and he specialized in micro valve prolapse and dysautonomia. They put me on Zoloft 150 mg and atnenolo 50 mg two times a day. I can drive again and it's been wonderful to have my life back. I hope this helps you and anyone else who has the same problem.
I have had this problem for more than 13 years and I just recently discovered what causes it and how to fix it. For most of you who have posted about the dizziness while driving, if you have ruled out inner ear problems, then you simply need to massage the muscles in your neck to remove the knots. The knots in these muscles send mixed up signals to the brain about the position of your head. This sounds like wacko kook stuff, but it is that simple and it is amazing. I highly recommend that you get the book "Trigger point therapy handbook" (blue cover by Davies). It is cheap and it has excellent illustrations about which muscle knots (trigger points) cause pain or tension in different areas, and in this case, also dizziness and vision problems. The book also explains how to avoid accidentally massaging arteries (never massage a pulse).

The muscles you need to massage are called sternocleidomastoid, or SCM. They are on the sides of your neck and run diagonally from the base of your skull behind your ears, down to the front of your collar bone. There are two on each side, sternal and clavicular. The sternal one is the one that is more forward and to the outside, nearest the skin. The clavicular is deeper inside and harder to massage. It takes a couple of weeks of practice to be able to easily get ahold of all the areas that can have trigger points (tenderness), especially down low where they connect to the collar bone. They feel kind of thin and stringy where they attach to the collar bone but if there is any pain in them when you poke around down there, you have to massage those areas some more so it goes away. Don't do too much too soon. It's easy to say, but hard to do, because you want the problem to be fixed immediately. This post doesn't tell how to grab them or do the massage, it's just the notification of the solution. For details, either get the book or look up Youtube videos for SCM or sternocleidomastoid massage. You can do all the massages in the book yourself, you just have to be careful about the arteries in the neck.

There is massive improvement immediately but it has taken almost 3 weeks to have completely normal undizzy driving. It takes a while to get almost all the trigger points to not feel any pain when giving the muscles a squeeze all along the entire length.

You probably also have some sort of neck, tension headache, shoulder or upper back pains or tightness that can be solved with the trigger point massage.  

After getting started on the trigger point massage on the SCM, the hard part begins... Trying to improve posture, stop leaning or thrusting the head forward, clenching the jaw, continually looking to the side, etc.

Over the past 13 years I have been to a general practitioner, three chiropractors, a neurologist, ear/nose/throat specialist, the Yale Balance Center, two sleep specialists (I have narcolepsy), and had neck X-rays and MRIs. None of them identified or helped the problem. No more paying specialists to solve a problem when they can't even figure out what the cause is. The information is out there. All the trigger point (also called myofascial) reference guides state that clavicular SCM trigger points can be associated with dizziness. You would think that the Yale Balance Center, which specializes in dizziness, would know this. They did not know what the cause was and diagnosed central nervous system disorder and wanted to prescribe drugs used for migraine.
It's funny you should mention a spasam in your neck. I had one about two years ago that was so bad I could not lift or move my head and had to go to the ER, I do have allergies which affect me but now I have this feeling that the car is going to tip over.  I cannot get on the highway at this point and had my first ever anxiety attack. Went to the ENT and everything is fine. Makes you feel like your going crazy. I need help and do not know where to go to at this point.
Thank you for your post! I like the idea of Balance Retraining Therapy!!
Feeling sort of relieved that others have this problem & that I'm not going mad. Realised that problem started at same time that I had severe trigeminal nerve pain and wondering if connected. Oh the horrible feeling when going along a wide road or going down a wide slope with big open landscape in front. Usually fine on small roads, actually really enjoy driving on this type of terrain but had very bad day when had to drive for over an hour on very windy roads. Really hit me then that there was something similar to motion sickness going on. Also have lots of very quick vertigo 'hits' like when car or train first starts moving next to me. Feeling that I'm not just imagining it all and will now consult Dr.
Thank you for your post. thomastonct

Please read my comment. You have a hope. I almost gave up. But I think I found the cure! It is a true story.

I am 40 years old now.I used to love driving. My weird dizziness started on November 2013 when I was in a passenger seat while my friend was driving. It was very sudden but very obviously the dizziness were there.  
I used to drive fearlessly for 23 years but all of a sudden I became disabled. Even when I drive 30-40 miles per hour, it was struggling for me and made me so dizzy and I had abnormal visual feeling like a tunnel vision. Driving became a nightmare since then. I stopped driving highway for over one year and six month.

I went to ENT(Ear, Nose and Throat), eye doctor, brain MRI, blood work, acupuncture, Korean traditional medicine, chiropractor and neurologist.
Everything was normal. No doctors couldn't figure out.
On Thursday(June 4th, 2015), I went to a different ENT doctor in a big hospital in the downtown hoping for an answer my ear is the problem but got out with disappointment. Nothing was wrong the doctor said. I am a single mother. It was so devastating to experience this crazy symptom not knowing the cause or clue. On the same day, I came to this site again out of desperation and found thomastonct's comment above. That was new. I went to a book store and bought the book "Trigger point therapy workbook" by Clair Davies. I watched several youtube video of STERNOCLEIDOMASTOID (SCM) trigger point massage.

I had nothing to lose and was going to try anything to be better. I tried the SCM massage(Please search google where to find SCM in you neck) right away several times a day very diligently for four days. Since the next day, I felt more than 50% better and today I accidentally went into high way and drove for 4 miles without stopping. I couldn't even imagine to drive on highway before because even for local road with 40 miles per hour was struggling for me for long time. Today I can excitedly say my dizziness for one year and six months were gone more than 90%. I felt normal for the first time.

I was so excited and so was my son. I really hope many of you can be cured like me. It was so simple and so easy to fix it. Current medical system was far beyond to find a cure or cause easily which is sad. However, thanks to some brilliant doctors like Travell & Simons and therapist like Davies, the author and her father, and someone like
thomastonctand who took time to write a comment for other people, I
think a lot of people will be relieved from this confusing dizziness.
I am so happy. I feel like I am reborn again. Try this massage today and if you got cured, please write a comment and spread the words for others!!!
This all started with me about three weeks ago.  I was driving to an event and hit a 4 lane highway and just couldn't focus. Like I was seeing the windshield not what's on the other side, almost like in a trance.  Feels like to you, see what there but don’t focus back to what’s important.    I had to pull over and bailed on the event and went home.   This happened to me before going over a bridge and I had that problem for years and thought I got through it with hypnosis.  On the bridge we were doing 55-65, 4 or 5 lanes and it was like a ribbon of cars all going the same so the illusion of really being still was there.  Full blown anxiety attack, sweating, fast heart rate etc.  

Seems to happen mostly on highways, multi lane and actually standing still at a red light a few minutes ago.  Almost feels like I am spinning a little and getting a closed in feeling.   Can't focus on just the road what in front of me.    I have to drive and its really messing with my brain.  It’s very hard to describe.  I sit at a PC terminal all day.  I thought it was my reading glasses and I use them all the time and even tired eyes.   Or even an over lite room and need to give my eyes abreak.  Went to the eye doctor last week and he prescribed some driving glasses and wetting eye drops. My actual eyes are ok.   I also started taking Prozac and Xanax to stop the anxiety.  It’s also feels like I am not registering as I speed up in the car.  Like the car is going faster then what I am seeing and it’s very disorientating.  I have to sit up very straight in the seat and it makes my skin and body crawl.   When I try to focus I start to get a little" out of body" feeling.  It’s very hard to describe.  
Hi all,
I am so glad have found this thread! I have been having problems driving for the past 2 years, first happened after a friend past away and was doing a lot of drives to and from the hospital, however I don't think it is just a psychological thing as I only get it when driving at speeds and get extremely dizzy and lose my nerve so have to slow down:

-Suddenly get really dizzy if drive over 80km/hr and need to slow down to 60km/hr (am fine driving in the city)
-This brings about a panic attack and I start to think am not in control, of the car and really freaks me out.
-Sometime however am fine driving at speed but get anxious now as don't know if/when will get these dizzy spells which bring on a panic attack
-Have also developed vertigo which I never ever had when I was younger

I don't know what to do as am in my early 30's and cant afford to not drive on highways.
I went to a doctor today and he has given me a referral to a ear nose throat specialist as I have fluid in my left inner ear and do get sinusy and find it hard to equalise my ears, but what was is disappointing is he had never heard of my ailments before and thinks I need to go and see a psychologist!
Im here for the same reason as others.
I had this driving at speed dizziness for at least 4 years now. It was more severe after the weekends and when hung over. I have all anxiety and depression associated with it. I have to drive 500mi a week doing house calls (construction) and it really drives me crazy.
I vent to doctors 2 years ago and they did all tests and blood checks and said everything is fine. They did prescribed me meclizine that they sell everywhere over the counter. It does help, but taking it daily is something I have ben avoiding.
I quit drinking cold turkey 2 years ago. That helped for awhile, but dizziness never really go away.
I found that I was hyperventilating, and it helped a lot with anxiety, but dizziness still there lots of times.
I quit smoking, actually switched to Electronic cigarette 5 month ago. I'm lowering my nicotine level and hopping to drop it soon too.
Its always worth after the weekend of doing nothing or lots of time spent on the computer before the trip. Its worth after I sleep too much or not enough. Its better at the end of the day, if the day was active.
Dizziness is not always there, and most of the time comes after 1/2 hour driving on highway. Same time tunnel vision comes in and my eyes gets glued to only what's in front of me.
I thank god every time I drive for one hour and feel good, like in older days when I enjoyed doing cross county trips. I actually drive and look around and enjoy surroundings. I got to get rid of this thing. I'm a motor head and have a lots of toys to go play with, but getting them to play ground is the problem. I can run quads at the dunes all day, I can run dirt bike and my Jeep bouncing around woods and rocks! Not a problem! Get me on highway and I don't feel like going anywhere anymore.
I will try neck massage next. From reading here it sure sounds like doctors know less than people on internet. They couldn't even figure out that my anxiety caused from hyperventilating. I use to have it all the time! Now its only when I drive.
I'm 37, healthy and fit.
^^^ worth = worse ^^^
I'm not a good speller either  
Hi There, I have same issue. Were you on Coversyl 4mg or 8 mg.
Ok, I think I have you all beat.  But, oddly I don't feel like the winner.  I am a 55 year old woman.  I have been suffering with this dizzy/floating/out of control feeling for approximately 34 years.  I live in California.  It started when I was living in the San Jose area back in the early 80s, out of the blue.  I was on a freeway that I had driven numerous times previously with no problem.  It started to happen with more frequency, only when I was the driver and when my speed was over 55 miles per hour.  Over the years it morphed into just driving on a freeway at any speed, any lane and for any distance.  Being next to big rigs, windy conditions, bridges and the concrete freeway construction dividers make it much worse.  I used to be able to drive without any problem for about an hour.  Half hour away, and then the other half hour home.  I am now stuck in my central valley California town.  If I need to go out of town for any reason, I have to depend on someone driving me.
Over the decades I have been to acupuncture, hypnosis, ENT dr., a general practitioner once told me I had agoraphobia, a fear of crowds!  Idiot doctor, he just didn't want to bother with a "crazy, irrational" woman.  I have no allergies, no high blood pressure, no stress, I am generally in good health.  I do have chronic migraines, but they have come on in the past 10 years or so.  Long after I don't drive on freeways any longer.  My parents and both my siblings have never had any issue with driving.  They can all drive cross country, if they wished, with no problem.
The only thing that has ever worked for me was the hypnosis.  It worked for about a month.  At $250 a visit, I couldn't afford it.  That was in about 2001.  I am sure the price has gone up since then.  
Obviously, we are all suffering from some syndrome or phenomena that is wide spread.  
Hello medical community.  This is real and we need help.  I know I am a danger to myself and others when driving on the freeway.  Therefore, I do not drive on the freeways anymore.  Ever.  This "thing" that we all seem to be experiencing is very frightening when it is happening.  It is very difficult to describe or explain to "normal" people.  They just don't understand it.  It really can make you feel like you are crazy.  Why such a common activity as driving on a freeway would be the trigger for this in so many diverse individuals is a mystery.  There has to be a common thread.  
HELLO MEDICAL COMMUNITY!
HELLO MEDICAL COMMUNITY........
I have exact same symptoms and I have same exact question from Medical research and the MEDICAL COMMUNITY to please research and try to help us who want to drive all over the country without problems. I can not drive on big HWYS due to exact same symptoms like you.
I DO NOT SEE ANY DOCTOR RESPONDING TO THESE PEOPLE. i GUESS THERE IS NO SOLUTION YET AND THE PHENOMENA HAS YET TO BE RESOLVED.

I am a perfectly healthy 33yr old from Canada.  I do work in front of computer screens all day in a fairly intense and stressful environment..

I also have been having some issues on driving on the highway.  It has slowly been creeping as a problem where I can now barely feel confident going above 80-90km/hr when I can do those speeds no problem in country roads... it's a weird feeling to be a strong driver, except in the highway.

I have no idea what to blame it to... other then keep reading blogs like this.  

I feel overwhelmed by cars on highway, feel nervous and car feels unstable (or I feel weirdly the urge to squiz steering wheel) and I can't help but hit the breaks and slow down... all of these comes down to my hands sweating and more panic...

Thanks for JennyJ776 I did go for a  STERNOCLEIDOMASTOID (SCM) trigger point massage and am yet to test it out.. will let you know of any updates...

I have never suffered from vertigo or have any other health issues..

Lets keep sharing information and although I understand it's not the same problem for all, the power of knowledge is great to be able to figure how out it relates to our own issue.

Thank you!

So relieved to have found this thread. Been living with this for 3 months and can't imagine living this way for years and years. Definitely trying out some of the suggestions immediately.
I am a 42 year old male and have suffered from this same situation for 8 years now.  I recently stopped driving highways altogether:  the movement of oncoming traffic in both directions, bridges, concrete barriers and guard rails have become too much.  I feel completely drained as a driver and a passenger and driving on all roads has become more difficult.  I know that fatigue, stress, caffeine, and driving on an empty stomach make my situation worse.  About five years ago, I had success with a therapist who used EMDR therapy.....driving returned to normal for a short time, but relief was only temporary, suggesting that this therapy did not resolve the true core issue here.  Recently, I started riding a bike for the first time in many years.  I have the same feelings of imbalance and floating.....cannot ride faster than 10 mph.  For many years, I have believed that this issue was purely psychological in nature.....it was isolated to driving alone.  The recent development makes me feel that this may be a vestibular disorder.  I have found that I have become very fearful of heights over the past eight years (which is new) and that motion is tough to take (such as rollercoasters).  Dramamine and other motion sickness remedies have not helped....this issue is not that simple.  I am resuming doctor visits and hope for some answer here.  Will post again with any information that can help us all......there are a lot of us.
Please do research and only see the very best ENT. I knew a man who traveled the world with no help and because we had a business contact in common he saw the doctor I saw in Denver.  Unfortunately she is now retired but she cured him and cured me. In my case I had gotten a concussion of my inner ear - they put warm water in your ears is all and the machine shows how your eyes react, if I remember correctly. It is called a Vestibular Concussion and to remedy it I had to go to vestibular therapy (balance therapy) and vision therapy. There is hope out there - just find someone who specializes in balance issues. Other ENT's will not be able to diagnose you. I wish you all the best!
I stated in a recent post that I would be visiting doctors and now have an answer.  I'll share my diagnosis with the hope that you find an answer as well.  I have suffered from a variety of symptoms for many years and have continually been diagnosed with panic attacks.  However, I went to a great doctor who was genuinely interested in hearing what I had to say.  She referred me to a cardiologist who did not find anything wrong on the surface, but based on the symptoms that I was experiencing, he recommended that I take a tilt table test…….and finally a test that revealed something.  I am somewhat relieved to have been diagnosed with dysautonomia.  There is no known cure for this, but there are many daily habits that one can instill to improve life.  Doctors may also choose to medicate.  Interestingly enough, most people with dysautonomia are first diagnosed with a panic disorder.

Many on this and other boards have complained of similar symptoms to me.  Dysautonomia presents differently in each person, so if you don't have an answer yet, I suggest that you do some research and see your doctor.  Good luck!
Hello. I stumbled on this thread last year, suffering from the same symptoms as many of you. My problems while driving had been getting worse for years.

Earlier this year, I was diagnosed with something called MOTORIST'S VESTIBULAR DISORIENTATION SYNDROME.

You can read more about it at: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/cami/library/online_libraries/aerospace_medicine/sd/media/MP-086-13.pdf

My doctor informed me the only way out of it was rehab. Anything that got my vision back in line w the rest of my senses. Ping pong, tennis, and juggling were all mentioned as good activities.

At the moment, I'm unable to drive because of my condition. However, I'm confident I will get my ability back. I hope my note helps you, especially if you've had the same symptoms but could not figure out what you suffered from.
I've had symptoms similar to what's been described here.
Diagnosis & treatment: I had an issue with "tracking" (how my eyes & brain work together).  I saw an opthamologist who diagnosed me with convergence insufficency, and gave me exercises to help my eye muscles respond to my brain's commands.

Also, I was helped by a chiropractor who specializes in adjusting the upper cervical spine, C1 and C2. It's a gentle adjustment, which I hardly feel.
Have your eye prescription checked. I had similar issues with driving at highway speeds and ultimately determined my contact lenses were overprescribed due to an error. This caused problems driving at highway speeds and a floating sensation around wide turns. I experienced anxiety when alongside trucks and many of the symptons mentioned in prior posts. I had visited my optometrist several times over two years and two MDs and none picked up on the issue instead attributed it to anxiety. My contact lense prescription change from -5.75 to -4.75. What a difference and knew immediately I had found the answer. Hope this helps, sometimes its the simple answer that gets overlooked. It is common to overprescribe from what I understand.
Thank you for all of your posts.   I am an active, healthy 48 year old man.  At times during the year, I have the same driving issues when I am going above 50 or 55 mph on the highway.  I discussed the driving dizziness with an allergist and he said he has never heard of it.  I don't remember what the ENT said, but the CT scan on my sinuses didn't show any abnormalities.  I suffer from allergies on and off during the year.  I believe the driving dizziness is caused by sinus blockage, even when I am not sneezing a lot (perhaps because I am not sneezing a lot?).  My ethmoid sinuses (below the eyebrows/above the eyes) seem especially sensitive when I have these symptoms.  I don't have any answers yet, but as others have posted, it is so nice to know that I am not alone in this.  I have written down ideas from these posts, will try them, and will circle back with results.  
I recently underwent surgery for the removal of Polyps. The procedure is called FESS. However, whilst the surgery in my view went well and I am recovering after 2 weeks I am unable to drive on highways. I can drive just fine within the city and I have been. Last week I was meant to return to work and I wasn't even able to drive half way and worst part of all this was I couldn't drive back. I felt this pain in my head and my arms started to feel numb and I was able to pull over with every last strength in my body. I called my colleagues at work to help me out and whilst I waited for them to show up my whole body became numb. It felt like an anxiety/panic attack. I'm really scared and don't know whats going on. I had the same problem driving in general one week after my surgery but the ENT surgeon who performed my surgery said it had to do with the anesthesia still being in my body, that a change from one environment (home) to another (outdoor) causes this thermal change in system.
After my recent episode I did visit a hospital where they took my ECG and blood and all tests were normal. I really wish I can get some answers to my problem as my work involves me having to drive about 220kms in a day. I'm 36 years old and having been driving with no issues for the majority of my life. For my this 220km a day has been normal since 2009.  
Wow how interesting, I have had the same dizzy...anxiety while driving on the highway for the past  few weeks...really scary and weird. I do have allergies but sometimes do not realize my sinus system in my head are inflamed. Clear but can feel a little pressure in the forehead area. Well I always have taken claratin D generic for years almost everyday... ran out for the past two weeks, no claratin D... dizzy driving. I was worried like all of you but today I finally took some Claratin D not really knowing if I needed it (thought it may help)???? Wow absolutely like a new person and no dizzy floating while driving... It may be that you are inflamed in your nasal or head and not really realize it. Take some Claritin D and try weather you think you need it or not. It was amazing I feel great now and driving is perfect. I just really did not think I was having a sinus problem but now I know I was..... (It really was that)
Hello BIGdude & all, I am 66 and mine was the same as all above except that it did not happen to me during night driving. I became DIZZY and BREATHLESS whenever I was in a supermarket for more than 20 mins. There were times I had to run out of the supermarket to get fresh air even when I had reached the cashier.  On highway driving, I became breathless and had stiffness in my legs when I was descending and when I was on a straight road. I had no problem ascending or climbing and driving within the city. I was driving a very good car but could not travel at even 20kph (12mph) when I and had to park. Other drivers would be surprised why I was driving so slow in a good car. So I used to park and rest - at times even drink alcohol. After rest, I will drive for about 15 minutes and the problem would come again. No problem  when ascending or climbing a hill on a highway.  I thought it was something to do with my heart but a cardiologist checked and found nothing wrong.
It was until I had a swollen neck and doctor said I had a trapped nerve in my neck (spine). I had a minor surgery to 'free' the trapped nerve in 2009 and felt alright after operation.  I have had another major (spinal fusion) surgery again in 2013 and now I can shop in supermarkets or shopping centres for hours without experiencing any breathlessness or dizziness.
I recommend that sufferers of this ailment should have X-ray of the neck or MRI of the whole spine to check abnormalities.
I am 66, never smoked and now do not drink and can now drive average of 100kph/62mph on highways without having those attacks. Do not take medications you don't trust.
I too have been experiencing a similar problem and its so good to know that I'm not suffering alone. I am an otherwise healthy 37 year old but have been suffering dizziness/disorientation and the feeling that I'm going to pass out whilst driving long straight fast roads for the past 5 years . It doesn't happen when driving cross country. When these episodes occur it causes me to panic (I don't believe panic is the cause of it as one doctor suggested), my heart races and I feel like I'm going to lose control of the car. If I stop the symptoms resolve but will soon recur if I join the fast road again. I like many others avoid driving on motorways or dual carriageways. I also get the same sort of feeling to a lesser extent when walking down a supermarket aisle and sometimes get to feeling that I'm going to pass out. This is becoming debilitating and is starting to get me down. I've been for an MRI, ENT referral, balance tests and ocular exam. None of them have come across this before and they don't seem to understand what I'm trying to tell them, it's very difficult to explain! I hope we all find some relief/answers soon
hi 'couth15', I too have similar issues; feel dizzy only when driving on highways or dual carriageway but fine in city, B roads. What I have been diagnosed with is occipital neuralgia. This happen when the nerve holding your neck and shoulder become inflammed. This is caused by your driving posture and you paying too much attention (i.e. not relax, nervous, can be the glare too) and put move pressure on this nerve which makes you feel light headed and which in turn can affect your eye as well. I have a vertigo problem and it get worst when i am on a bridge. So my advise is go and see a neurologist.
Hi there,  I'm so grateful for all of you since 2008 to 2016 writing about this.  I've had the same symptoms as most people on here.  The thing that was weird for me was only when I was driving alone.  If someone else in car or me in passenger seat; it was fine.  I took the advice of another post on here; as I have had back problems and read Dr. Sarno's Healing Back Pain - The Mind-Body Connection.  I live in Australia, and until I came across this thread, had no one that could relate to me.  After reading the book; my symptoms have improved dramatically.  I wouldn't say it was solely the connecting my pain with my brain and repressed emotions; but I was open enough to accept there may have been some connection.  Thank you to the people on here that recommended it.  It's been wonderful for me to get back some control on highways. I hope this posts helps someone else.
hi. i'm 32 years old female from malaysia. i've been suffering the same condition (unbalanced while driving) for almost 3 years now and this slowly affects my job performance. i used to be able to drive at almost 100km/h without any worries. now i cannot even drive at 40km/h even though the road is empty and straight. i thought i am going crazy. glad to know i am not alone.  
I am sooo thrilled I am not alone!!!! Im going to take this thread to my neurologist and beg him to do something to help us. Someone has to study this, create a scenario via computer generated driving scenes to watch and evaluate what is happening to our bodies AND HELP US. We are all too young, with children and jobs, to lose our love and freedom that driving brings us.
I had these fellings since Dec 22, 2015. My neurologist has me on antiviral meds and ocular migraine meds. I think it may help little, but still have a issue driving, especially on the frwy. I feel pretty down from this and need it to stop.
I have same disorientation when driving on multi-lane highways at 65+ mph especially if the highway is lined with guardrails or tall trees.  No problem on city streets  There is syndrome called Motorists Disorientation Syndrome (MDS). Dr. Michael Gresty from London appears to have researched this since around 1985 based on my research.  It is somewhat similar to pilots' disorientation.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/cami/library/online_libraries/aerospace_medicine/sd/media/MP-086-13.pdf

Has anyone been diagnosed with MDS?  And if so, what therapy or medicines were prescribed?
I have the same problem
Just discovered this thread after having a terrifying experience yesterday and wanted to say your comment summed up the feeling perfectly.
I started to get very sudden and immediate feelings of disorientation whilst driving around 10 years ago but they were immediate and passed. The closest thing I can describe them as is that sudden feeling when you go over a bump or a crest of a hill and your stomach ‘drops’. I rationalised it as tiredness and the feeling coming from suddenly snapping back into concentration.
Then a few months ago I had a horrible journey – I had no choice but to do this long drive at night as I had to be somewhere and as soon as I hit the larger dual carriageway road I was absolutely struck with terror. I’m 38 and I have been driving for 20 years now. I think of myself as a good driver, I drive a lot and I enjoy driving at speed and ordinarily I wouldn’t be fazed by speed or other traffic. But this one drive had me bolt upright in my seat clutching the wheel so hard my hands hurt. I was alone in the car and managed to talk myself through it and take it a little easier and I was able to continue the journey. Again, I rationalised it as being tired and stressed (both true). My car is also not great and has broken down a few times and I felt like that worry was a contributing factor also.
However, yesterday I experienced this sensation again to such a sudden and alarming degree it was almost like an out of body experience or something equally crazy sounding. I look back on it now and it’s still vivid and scary but it feels like I didn’t experience it myself if that makes sense?
I had taken a wrong turn and joined the motorway in the wrong direction which was fine, I had 3 friends with me and their sat navs were recalculating so I wasn’t stressing about the directions. I joined the slow lane of a 3 lane motorway and all of a sudden it was like I had no control over the car at all. I felt like I had no idea whether I was travelling at 5mph or 500mph. My eyes felt like they were darting between the flickering white lines of the road, the car in front and specks of dirt on the windscreen. It felt like looking through the lens of a camera as it auto focuses on different objects at different focal lengths but with extreme speed. I shot bolt upright in my seat, clenched my fists around the wheel and, for the first time since I started getting these sensations, I felt I couldn’t overcome it. It was f*cking *terrifying*. My friends were great and I was a mile away from the service station so they just talked me off the motorway and into the car park but I was shaking, couldn’t breathe and on the verge of tears. I really had no idea how we would get out of the service station. After a while I was able to contemplate carrying on and it really helped that my friends were there to talk to me and chat about anything apart from the driving itself. But I still had to come off the motorway and drive back on A roads (where I immediately felt perfectly fine).
I wanted to share some observations I have had about the times it’s happened to me. I don’t know whether these are connected or a cause or not but they might ring true with some of you.
1. I had a hangover. I had slept less than normal in an unfamiliar bed. I was stiff and tired and dehydrated. Whilst I wasn’t hungover in the other times it’s occurred, I was certainly tired and had slept somewhere other than home the night before.
2. Drinking something sugary seemed to help. I couldn’t have negotiated drinking anything while driving but pulling off the road and drinking a sugary drink helped me relax.
3. Opening the window of the car seemed to help once I got back on the road.
4. Driving one handed with the other hand on my knee or the gear lever seemed to make me relax in my seat more and lessen the symptoms
I’m going to go and see my doctor about this and one thing I noticed in this thread that had never occurred to me might be linked is mention of similar feelings in supermarkets. I had an episode of bizarre dizziness in a supermarket a few years back that took me to my doctor who felt it was a lack of Vitamin D. I’ve never had another incident like it but now I’ve read this thread and thought about it the feeling was the same as I experience whilst driving.
My gut instinct tells me it’s about a tired brain struggling with depth perception when faced with repetition and conflicting stimuli – so you’re tired, you’re groggy and you’re faced with grid-like imagery (same goes for the supermarket which is a pretty unnatural environment too) and your brain struggles to make immediate sense of what your eyes are recording. This throws you into a little momentary spasm of panic (the ‘stomach drop’ moment) and, being tired, that panic escalates as you’re driving a car at speed (or in a public place in the case of supermarkets) and it rolls into a full size panic attack.
I’ll see what my doctor says though…
Please do SCM trigger point massage in your neck. You can search online. I got better after the massage. I couldn't drive for over a year before. The answer could be simple. It was a miracle cure.
It's probably a sudden fear, it happens to me when driving on high ways if an driving over 35 minutes I get dizzy and shortness of breath am afraid to pass out and have an accident, I try to focus on the tag on the car in front of me that helps a bit
I discovered that when I get dizzy while driving, if I put on music very loud, it seems to suppress the dizziness.