Neurology Community
Feel dizzy and unbalanced while driving on the highways

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am 44 years old and being driving for years but unfortunately, for couple of years I started to feel dizzy and unbalanced while driving on the highways for long time at a speed higher than 90 km/h (55 ml/h) specially at night.  It starts by feeling flashes at my head and then the difficulty starts. This problem does not occur while driving in the city.  I visited the EN&T doctor sometimes ago and he said I do not have an inner ear infection.  I visited eye doctor and no problem too.  Then I thought of it as driving phobia and started to take anti depressant drug but unfortunately, the problem still.  This issue is irritating me and I do not know what to do?!!!
What is the latest on your condition? I have similar symptoms and these are being investigated but no solution as yet.
I am female from Malaysia, 46 years old and I also have very similar problems and as u said it only happens when I drive on the highways at high speeds. No problem when driving in the city. I feel unbalanced particularly when the road turns right and then the sensation of losing my balance comes, to the point I have to slow down, sometimes to 50 km/h to take the corner safely. I also checked with ENT and Doctor said no problem with my inner ear. I have a feeling it could be due to either dry eyes or perhaps also my diabetes. The problem is I enjoy traveling in my car and this has definitely impaired my love for traveling. I really someone has some explanation to my problem.
Hi.  Have you found answers yet?  Just wondering.
I have the same symptoms. Were you able to find out anything?
Hello fellow anxious dizzy drivers - I may have found a simple and free solution to our problems - BREATH - please read on: I'm a 30 year old male from New Zealand and have had pretty much all the symptoms of above posts, slowly getting worse over the past 6 years since I developed OOS and also put my lower back out when I was 24 (which was basically a result of terrible posture, weak core strength and a high pressure job with a lot of time spent at a badly structured computer station).

I was anxious about the symptoms, but they only became a debilitating problem for me at the end of 2009 when I had a panic attack while driving at high speed on the motorway. I was very stressed at the the time as I was intensively working on a feature film script and also about to get married!

I found this forum 3 or four months ago and began occupational rehabilitation therapy after reading the post about somatoform syndrome. This has been a big help with relieving the neck pain and building better postural strength so that I can actually sit in a healthy position while driving i.e. not slumped forward with my neck tilted and pinched at the back - basically retraining my body so as to get rid of all the old bad muscle memory.

But my big break through was when I went to a new GP recently for a check up. I had it in my head that I might have an inner ear infection and that might relate to the dizzyness etc, but alas no infection to blame - however when we discussed my symptoms of dizzyness, loss of balance, confusion, anxiety, panic attacks, erratic heart beats etc she clicked that all the symptoms where text book HYPERVENTILATION SYNDROME. I have unknowingly been an "under-breather", which means I take tiny short breaths into my lungs. This under-breathing causes us to have a lack of oxygen and when our body doesn't get enough oxygen we panic and feel faint and dizzy - it's a primitive fight or flight type reaction, but it's very unhealthy to be living in a constant state of anxiety about fight or flight!

I have only just started to retrain my breathing technique but have already noticed that if I catch myself feeling dizzy I just need to start taking healthy breaths in and out again (simply put: 3 seconds breath into diaphram - not into chest - and 4 seconds out) I also plan to take up meditation classes to help with my breathing retraining and you probably should too, but in the meantime do a search for healthy breathing techniques/exercises and start practicing!

I hope this helps!
All the best
Luke

I too feel the same but i feel i know why it is this way.  At nights the roads are pretty dark at the first place and its very calm inside the cabin which after some times makes the brain activity weak, airconditioner even worsens the situation, iam sure the people who are facing problem are running the car with airconditoner ON.  The few old cars airconditioner produces small percentages of carbon monoxide which actually makes the person driving car drowsy, i would recemmond to roll down your windows atleast for 5 mins for every 30 or 40 mins of drive to take fresh air which you can clearly see the results and try to avoid to see opposite headlights directly, hope this helps.
I too suffered from many of the same symptoms outlined in so many of the posts.  Over a year later, I'm able to drive without too much distress and dizziness.  While it is not perfect, I am no longer petrified of driving.  I'll give more of my details and bio at the bottom of the post, but here are the actions that I took to improve my case:

1) I underwent Balance Retraining Therapy.  This involved a number of tests and therapies, but the one that produced the best results was an exercise where I looked at a letter, about 2 inches high, placed at eye level on the wall 4 feet in front of me.  Then, I moved my head back and forth about once per second for 15 seconds, then up and down for 15 seconds at the same cadence, and finally back and forth for 15 more seconds all the time while focusing on the letter on the wall trying to keep the letter stationary.  I did this for about 3 days.  After 3 days, I performed this action twice per day, the second time the pace was quickened and the head didn't move as far. Similar to if you shook your head to indicate "no". Performing this action more than this does not help, in fact it can hurt. I saw a huge improvement after 3 day.
2) I started allergy shots.  I was having problems with seasonal allergies that resulted in sinus drainage.  This has helped a little.
3) I use a steroid nose spray before bedtime during the times of the year when pollens are at their worst and I experience significant sinus drainage.  This too has helped some.

All of my hearing and inner ear testing came back as normal.  No problems with blood sugar, pressure or any other test.  It wasn't until I took the balance tests where I was moving my head back and forth while starring at the dot on the wall did it become clear that something was amiss.  The dot was moving all over the place. As it was explained to me, balance problems can still go undetected even if the normal ear, nose, and throat hearing and balance tests are performed.  This was my case where I passed all those tests without identifying any underlying problem.

The other point to note is that balance is a combination of sight, inner ear balance, and to some extent, touch.  The "floating sensation" that you experience is a result of the brain unable to discern between what your eyes see and your inner ear detects from a balance standpoint.  As it was explained to me, when the brain cannot discern what is going on, it gives you that "dizzy feeling" because it can't figure out which input is correct.  The balance retraining therapy is to get the inner ear back in sync with what the eyes are seeing, thereby bringing the two into sync.

Just a short bio:  My problem manifested itself when I was 52 years old, although I had on and off problems before, usually when I was suffering from allergies. I'm a male in good health.I underwent all the testing through my ear, nose and throat doctor.  Like most of you, explaining this problem made me sound like I was nuts.  It occurred worse when I was driving on a multi-lane highway with barriers on each side faster than 50 mph.  There were occasions when I was very tired, the problem occurred at speeds as low as 35 mph. One side-effect is that I have a tendency to experience anticipatory anxiety.  That's what I'm battling now.  The way that I have worked through this problem is by driving on multi-lane highways when I'm feeling my best.  This reinforces (in my mind) that I can drive on these roads and be relaxed while I drive.  After 1 year, I'm just about over this problem, but I still have bad days due to sinus problems or occasional anticipatory anxiety where I think too much about the road where I've experience the problem in the past.  It is tough to forget those roadways where I've become dizzy and then experience an anxiety attack so bad that I could barely drive off the highway because I was violently shaking.

I hope that maybe my experience can help those of you who still suffer from this problem.  There is help. Search for "Balance Retraining Therapy" for a location in your area to see if they can help.  Determine if there is a correlation between sinus problems and days where the problem is worse.  Possibly a combination therapy will work for you too.  Best of luck!
Hello all, as mentioned above, there is another post/thread on this topic and within the past 24 hours I have requested anyone who is still suffering from these similar symptoms to please let me know who you are. Once I have an idea of how many still are, I will post the steps to give relief to some or all of you. I will have a few questions to ask such as current medications and such, so please feel free to join me over here:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/Dizzy--and-Blur-Vision-while-driving/show/11737
I've had this problem too I go to the dr in march. I also feel like my head will explode when I stand up at times
I feel the same exact way and I am also a diabetic.
Hi folks, I was driving home tonight on a 2.5 hour stretch and suddenly felt a "disequilibrium." I have had similar symptoms for years but it was intermittent so it is hard to trace. At first I thought it might have been some food I ate. Then I thought maybe it was the air conditioner. So I pulled over on the next exit and parked for 15 minutes and tried to breath deeply. As I drove home, it occurred to me that I was experiencing a LOSS OF DEPTH PERCEPTION (esp. since this "vertigo" occurs mostly at night, but not exclusively). I was able to re-train my eyes to look at signs in the distance and tracking them as they approach, then focusing on the next sign, and so on. In this way I was able to continue driving despite the "disequilibrium" I experienced. I hope this may be of help to someone next time they run into a similar experience!
Best regards.
Have you recover? i have same problem too, Im malaysian
Please let me know if you have found a solution to your problem!  I have been having the same problem for years.  It's always on the highway going over 55mph and whenever there are turns to the left or the right (also, going downhill).  I have severe problems when driving through the mountains in West Virginia and Kentucky.  I am able to drive normally on straight flat highways (e.g. Ohio, Indiana,etc.).  I feel like I'm off balance and the car is going to flip over.  I have been to a neurologist and everything is fine, my inner ear is fine, and otherwise healthy (e.g. no high blood pressure, allergies, etc.).  This is really impacting my ability to travel by car.  Please let me know if you have had any success in resolving your issue.  Interestingly, my sister has the same problem
It's 2012, and I have had the same problems as everyone else.  I just heard about something called vertical heterophoria.  Apparently one eye sees higher than the other, so the brain has to adjust.  This can cause dizzyness, headaches, anxiety and other symptoms.  If I have this, it can be fixed by adding a prism to my glasses.  I sure hope it works because I had my worst driving dizzyness ever yesterday.  The dr. Is in Michigan, so I'm going to fly out.  I'll repost after to let you know if it works.
do not waste your money. I wasted $3500 without any benefits. This is not a vision problem Unless you have depth perception issue.
Jan 2013 same problem..felt it the first time one year ago.
Thought it was related to years of night shifts, lots of hours in front of computer.
After reading above posts, I am thinking my problem is related to Breath. Do have a breath problem.
Now,
Driving! all the windows pulled up, heater/ac;no fresh air in
Home! all the windows closed heater/ac on; no fresh air in
Home to car! walk only a few steps
Car to office walk only a few steps again
Every move! car
Exercise! none (too little..)

Surely all these contributed to my driving issue on the highway today
No problem at all in the city.

On the highway, I feel going in the air, off balance..

I will practice what ""jjb2010 Nov 14, 2010" mentioned

"I looked at a letter, about 2 inches high, placed at eye level on the wall 4 feet in front of me.  Then, I moved my head back and forth about once per second for 15 seconds, then up and down for 15 seconds at the same cadence, and finally back and forth for 15 more seconds all the time while focusing on the letter on the wall trying to keep the letter stationary"

Good luck to you all.

Whilst doing the eye exercise above just now it, it occured to me that the object was at times slightly out of focus as it moved towards or outside the full field of view of my spectacles. Bearing in mind that a few years ago I happily drove a Transit van to my son's university and back - around 550 miles - in a day, without any of the usual symptoms of vertigo I normally get in a car I'm wondering whether spectacle wearing has any bearing on this. The Transit had a much higher driving position so that I would have been looking downwards consistently through the centre of my spectacles, rather than making use of the more more marginal focus towards the top of the glasses. Just a thought - perhaps I should trial contact lenses...??
Hi, Also got this problem.

My temporary solution is, while your driving or even not in driving and then you feel dizzy and hard to breath, the first thing to do is don't stop driving  but you must slow down (if your driving) and relax your mind. Make Exercise Breathing. I breath in diaphragm not in lungs because you will get in Hyperventilation, Nausea and Palpitation. Inhale from Nose and pause for 2-3 seconds then Exhale from your mouth slowly. Dont overbreath, take a sit and get also fresh air. Do this and you will feel relax.

I've been heavy drinker of Coffee and I think it was the reason why I got this problem because of Caffeine, so I quit. I also lacks of sleep and exercise.

I also visited my Doctors. They check my eyes, ears, blood pressure, cholesterol, uric acid, ECG, sugar but they are boundary normal.

I'm also Overweight and I'm only 23 years old.

So I made up my mind to hit the Gym, Eat good foods, avoid junk foods and soft drinks and I sleep more than 7 hours even I woke up early, I push my self to get 7 or more time to sleep.

My Doctor also told me that maybe my Anxiety got higher and one of the solution is to get a Self Medication.

I hope my advice will works.

I'll update you guys.
Hi, Also got this problem.

I hope my advice will works.

I'll update you guys.
I have the same problem for years but got worse last October that even changing lane was so difficult. I've seen a psychiatrist, neurosurgeon and finally a head and neck specialist. I was diagnosed with disequilibrium and just started with balance therapy. I haven't been driving since October 2012 and quit my job last month. I was trying to relieve some of life stresses so I quit my job. I am not sure if the balance therapy will help me go back to driving again. I will let you know in a few weeks. I was also given a Paxil. I was told that my balance issue give me anxiety and so I panic.

My feeling was I feel like that I am losing control of the car so I drive vey slow specially in curves. I have to drive with my right hand in the stirring and my left hand hugging myself and my body leaning to the right. It used to be on the left only but last October when  changing lane to the right, I felt the the star is slipping out of control and I have to break. Sudden jolt cause me to panic. That's why I stopped driving. I've even went to see the acupuncturist to no avail...

Disequilibrium diagnosis makes sense to me but not sure if the therapy will help. I was told That my balance will not o back to normal but will improve by therapy. Among my home work training, I also do some balance exercise from you tube...
Hi everyone,
I'm having some success this week. If you want the long version, I just typed it out in the comment section for Ryka.  The short version is that inflammation in my neck is causing my googly eye problem, and not my eyes. My problem is just the road looking like it's slanting, and feeling like the car is on it's left wheels while on the highway. No problems when not driving.  I got a NSAID shot on April 3rd, then started taking Oxaprozin 600mg twice a day. I drove home every day last week on the highway including once at night. I' m not driving in the left lane, but I'm not leaning halfway across my car. I guess this version isn't that short, but I'm really excited that this is helping!  I hope it helps you too.
Oops, my other post was on Rayka, not Ryka.
Ok, the Oxaprozin helped for a month and a half. After that, I read Dr. Sarno's book on back pain. It actually helped as much as the Oxaprozin. I tried physical therapy. After a lot of tests, they had me do exercises where I move my head as if shaking it "no", while either looking at my thumb, or looking at a letter surrounded by a checkerboard pattern, while walking. It didn't help. I'm trying optokinetic stimulation to see what happens. I think I have visual vertigo. I found 3 videos on you tube, and I downloaded a 3d flying screensaver and an asteroid screensaver to stare at. I also downloaded a car racing game that I tried out today. I'm feeling a tinge queasy from that one.  I'll let you know if it helps.
I thought that I was going nuts!  I've had this very same problem for five years.  It always happens at speeds of 50 MPH +, and I don't feel safe driving at speed on motorways.  I avoid driving for distances if I can.  I am 57 years old.
Hi all... I am so happy to find your posts... driving into work was HORRID today.  I didn't think I was going to make it... I am experiencing all of the same symptoms.  Seems to be worse when it rains.  I drive a lot.  Has anyone noticed the weather can make it worse? also, when Im in the car for more than 10 or fifteen minutes.  I find my seatbelt drives me crazy. The uncomfortable feeling goes from the side of my neck up behind my left ear.  Feels like my head is gonna pop off.  Also, I had an issue with a dental implant.  It had to be removed.  Has anyone one else had extensive dental work done when these symptoms began?  My ears feel like they have liquid in them.  I can actually hear little "bubble" sometimes..
I'm 42 with controlled mild high blood pressure. I live in the north east US.
I have similar problems and mine started after I had a  metal implant put in my upper left side of my mouth in June. After having it done, that weekend was the first dizzy/faint spell and heart palpitations that I had.    I have had my thyroids checked, EKGs done, an MRI of the brain and now I'm going to have stress test done. My pressure is up, I am overweight and do need to watch my sugar intake.  They also gave me Xanax for what they are calling anxiety attacks, but I do not take it.

This feeling is unsettling because it happens out of the blue and then takes over from the time I get on the metro, when the trains are moving fast until I drive home.  The drive home today was horrible. I literally stopped to get out of the way of fast moving cars, that seemed like objects flying by and I followed a bus so I could stop frequently to regain control over myself.  I have been driving for 25 years and now this happens.  It is frustrating when you all of a sudden get in a car to drive and now you feel like a new driver all over again with heightened anxiety.  I was very independent and drove myself everyone, but now I can barely drive around the corner without this feeling. Please help.  
I have never posted to a chat room before, but I wanted to share some news. I too have had these same issues for 3+ years.  I have no issues in driving in the city on roads that I am familiar with; however the minute I go onto a freeway or travel at any speed greater than say 50 mph on roads I am unfamiliar with I feel like I am going to fall over.  The best way I can describe it is the feeling you get when you put on "coke bottle" eye glasses with a prescription that is way too strong and you try to walk around. I felt like it started out of no where and was quite debilitating.  Anyways, my short story is that after 3 years I believe I have found the issue.  It was my blood pressure mediation.

I was on blood pressure medication for years and never connected the dots.  I thought it was my multi-vision contact lens, my eye glasses, anxiety, craziness, etc.  My doctors, optometrist, physical therapist all had no idea - I am a 46 year old male in good health.  But for an unrelated reason I had to stop taking my blood pressure mediation for three weeks...and all of a sudden I notice I was driving on the highway with zero anxiety or dizziness (I drove out to our lake house - normally I have to pull over to have my wife finish the majority of the 2 hour drive).  I just thought it was an anomaly and still didn't put two and two together.  I then went back to my doctor who put me on a different blood pressure medication. And shockingly, I couldn't drive to the lake due to the same dizziness issues.  I immediately stopped taking my new bp medications and what do you know I can drive anywhere!  It did take some time to get "reacquainted" with freeway driving, but I am good!  My doctor still doesn't believe there is a correlation, which makes no difference to me!

I'm not sure if this helps anyone, but if it can help one I would be so happy!  Of course I am not suggesting that anyone stop taking bp medication. This is just some information to share.  I was on bp meds for slightly elevated blood pressure.  I have since dropped 20 lbs and exercise daily to stay off the meds.  But talk about a motivator!  I feel like I got a piece of my life back.  

Good luck!
I need help, Please someone  give me some advices
I am 56 years old, smoking, have tyroid problem and high cholesterol taking medicine daily thyroxine 112 Mg for tyroid and atorvastatine 10Mg for Cholesterol. But daily I fell healthy normal life working, eating, sleeping..
This is the first time in my life to have a symptom like this. On 10/11/13 when I was driving and I felt dizziness , nausea, unstable felling in 1 minutes I stop and rest for 5 minutes I felt ok, but  next day 10/12/13 morning after driving for 2 miles, especial get on freeway for more 2 miles, symptom star to develop very quickly, feeling look like nauseous, vomiting, unstable feeling , nervous, heart bit fast and faster, both arms and legs so weak  , body get wet, have to pullover.  Called family pickup my car and drive me home, in same day at night I got the same problem again. Only happen if I am driving, no problem seat in the car with someone driving, and I felt normal to do all activity, I read all in this room but  no one have the same vertigo symptom  I went to see family doctor on 10/14 checked and exam  everything ok, doctor  said with this symptom  I have a vertigo problem gave me meclizine 25 mg, this drug used prevent seasick and refer to specialist doctor but take a week for appointment . And aloso I went to see OD doctor to exam my eye, all normal, don’t need  new glasses.  I am so worry about my job,  and I work in field services I drive a lot daily , this morning 10/15/13 I tried go to work but I got same problem on freeway, I have to pull over and call for help. If this happen exist so long I will lost my job,  Please someone help me.
Thank you
It's really interesting to me that so many of us have similar problems, but with different twists. Some people have been helped by changing medication, some by breathing differently, some by the chiropractor etc. I tried glasses with prisms, which helped for 4 days; NDSAID's which helped for 1 1/2 months; dramamine, meclizine etc which never helped; the chiropractor which never helped; physical therapy with balance retraining, which did not help. I am a happy camper though, because I am doing better. Unless it is sheer coincidence, it is because I read "Healing back pain: the mind-body connection" by John Sarno.  I read about it in Runner's World magazine and told my sister about it because of her back problems.  She had success, so she sent me a copy. My back doesn't hurt, but I was having a lot of headaches ( almost daily), acid reflux, and TMJ. I read the book this summer, and immediately, I was driving just as well as I had been on the medication. It's not perfect, but I haven't had to pull off the road, or take the back roads since. Moving into the left lane still bothers me, but I am now able to pass people, and semi's.   I noticed when I pass semi's sometimes I get a weird feeling in my nose and sinuses. I think that is from the anxiety of having to deal with this for a year. I like to have quick access to the slow lane just in case I might feel off balance. I haven't had any problems on the back roads, even on two curves that I used to slow down for.  Last Sunday I made myself drive in the middle lane of a three lane highway for a mile or two. That was progress!  I’ve caught myself going as fast as 75 on my way to work, as opposed to 50 this time last year. I feel hopeful that this will continue and I'll get my confidence back.  The book doesn't really talk about driving, but it does talk alot about inflammation, and it mentions dizzyness.  I am down to about 1 headache a week, and my acid reflux is better too.  I hope this helps someone, because it feels great to have hope.
I hope this comment gets to you. I just posted, because I am doing better
This sounds like me. For the past 5yrs.  Do you have any allergies? Ear throat nose issues?  I have polups in my sinuses that i am having surgically removed. The medications i am taking to shrink polups has actually helped me drive better. I no longer pull over on the road. I still cant drive in the left lane BUT i WILL drive perfectly fine after this surgery.
am 21 and I just came back from dubai ... I felt dizzy at the highway at night .. And it was very terrifying cause no one else in the highway just me .. Plus my parents didnt kmow that I was outside that late ! It wasn't easy at all.
I never had this before, but from a couple of months to now I'm having it and its only getting worse, Im 30 years old. It gets worse with me when the highway does a curve to the right side, it feels like i cannot control the car anymore and I'm going to crash into the middle concert that separate both ways. I had a very bad episode today, i got so dizzy that i had to pull over or i would crash, I'm very scared and i will consult a doctor at the end of the week.
Please let me know if you find any solution on this problem. I am 31 years old lives in Sacramento, CA has all these similar symptoms and have no allergy yet.

1. It started with the problem with driving at night time on freeway above speed 55mph. And problem was severe if its a night time.
2. Also I use to get attack all of a sudden and could not control a car even a lower speed of 30mph. This is too serious on freeway.
3. If it is a curvy road with banking the more I feel loosing balance. And get more scared.
4. Now its getting more worst and I cannot drive even on a city road with a speed of 20mph.
5. My blood test, ENT test, vision tests are normal. And had infection to right ear couple of times in a month. Primary care doctor gave me some antibiotics for that but apart from that my problem is same as before. And I am still unable to drive car any more.
6. Since exact problem is yet diagnosed making me more and more frustrated.
7. I started meditation and sudarshan kriya yoga but no improvement to improve breathing if it is related to that.
8. I am planning to have a MRI scan this week but still skeptical if nothing diagnosed again then what ?

Please let me know if you any body of you get this problem resolved ?
Google Vestibular Migraine

I have been having the same symptoms with my driving for 3 years.  I have been to several doctors and most of them said I was having migraines.  I didn't believe them for a long time because I did not have a headache.  I started to do research and found vestibular migraine.

Vestibular migraines affect the proper functioning of the body's vestibular system, the system responsible for governing balance and the ability to perceive spatial movement.

Symptoms:
Vertigo
Imbalance
Unsteadiness
Extreme sensitivity to Motion
Vertigo caused by movements or scenery

Im 17 years old and ive had these same problems for the past few months. Im an occasional weed smoker and i used to think that i got it from driving high, but then recently as in 12/22/2013 i was driving down a highway not high, going about 50mph and still having the same problems. i also used to think that it was because of paranoia. Because when i used to drive high just the sight of the car behind me would make me paranoid, but then also on 12/22/2013 i was driving with no car behind me at all or in sight and i still got all the symptoms of what you guys are saying  

This could all just be happening to me because i smoke weed, but I feel like the two issues are unconnected and i would love to figure out what this issue is.
I'm a 46 year old man.  No major medical issues prior...good weight good health, pretty active.  Two Novembers ago I woke up with a really bad stiff neck with muscle spasms. Doc said it was tortacollis.  Sometime later I was driving through a tunnel and started to have a panic attack...I had to talk my way through it...kept telling myself I would be just fine, and I made it through.  A months later I was driving on a highway and I saw a really big bridge in the distance...I again started to panic, so bad this time that I actually pulled off the highway and got out of the car.  Again I had to talk myself into it...I had to go over the bridge and my rational self kept telling me that there was nothing to fear...but boy was it hard to get over that bridge...going down the other side was no problem.
This anxiety is becoming more common for me only when driving on highways....I love to travel.  Lots of traffic at high speeds and construction areas where there are no pull off areas, push me to the point where I think I'm going to pass out... I start feeling really light headed...like the car and I are starting to float away!
This has to stop.  After reading all these posts I think mine has to do with either my neck problems or some sort of visual vertigo.  
Just curious...does anyone else spend a lot of time staring at electronic devices everyday?  Tablets, computers, cell phones?
Excellent... thank you!
What causes all those symptomps while driving is anxiety or panic attacks. They are coming from depression, stressfull, anxiety, fear in everyday life. While you are driving your anxiety increase, because of the speed. There is nothing wrong with eyes, brain, heart, neck, ear, etc....I went through all the tests and found nothing wrong with any parts of my body. I'm currently taking Lexapro for my depression and I'm now taking a higher dose to help with my anxiety or panic attacks, especially while driving. Also there is a medication called Ativan, it will help you with short term anxiety and panic attacks, the medication will start working in about 20 mins, but be careful, because Ativan is extreamly addicted. It should be taken as needed not everyday. Lexapro is for a long term medication and it requires to take everyday, but it will take weeks before we see the result. Email me if anyone wants to know more details about antidepressants side effects, symptoms of anxiety, panic attacks, etc...... I have been through all the above symptoms and I would like to help anyone that needed help and not sure why you have all those problems and symptoms. ***@****
Hi... my name is Chet and I live in Kentucky. I have a very similar condition. I have mild dizzy but the worse experience is when I drive on the highway and I also have dry eyes. Have you found any solution or has the problem gone away?
I found this thread very interesting as I've had symptoms similar to those described here. Blood work showed hypothyroidism, but my doctor also wanted to do an MRI (Normal).

After treating my hypothyroidism with Levothyroxine, the symptoms of this weird imbalance at high speed driving is gone, thankfully! It was a very uncomfortable and odd feeling.

Again, maybe unrelated, perhaps my symptoms just went away after 5 months, but I do think there was a connection to low thyroid hormone. I hope this post may help some of you.
Your are absolutley right that anxiety and panic attacks can cause all those systems and play a major role in driving fear. I can't say that I ever had a panic attack while driving,all my panic attacks happened at night, usualIy after I was asleep appx 1-2 hrs.
I use to drive up and down the East Coast all the time, no problem. For the past 10 yrs (I'm 52) I've dealt with problems driving, mainly on the highway and/or roads traveling at speeds greater than 50 mph. And it did not happen at the onset of my panic disorder, it was a gradual thing. I tried just about everything suggested for panic/anxiety: anti anxiety/depression meds, self help programs, "getting back out there" on the road. The meds sent me into some of the worst panic attacks I ever had in my life, and let me tell you that was BAD. And if I got past that, I felt so zoned out, I actually went through a redlight with kids in the car, and I said "that's it, can't do this". I envy people that can take the "anti" meds, nice fix it it works. Nothing has helped. I mean there have been times that I felt normal, like I used to about driving the highway, but those I could count on one hand. I am coming to the thought that my problem is related to something else going on, such as thyroid, equiliberium, sinus, or allergies. It seems as though everytime I travel speeds greater than 50 that I have sinus issues, not saying driving brings them on; maybe I just notice it more. Also, I just don't feel connected to my surroundings when driving distances at high speeds, it is hard to explain the only word that comes to me is surreal. And there is something that I have done for quite sometime, I hold my one ear shut, don't ask me why. It is like a subconscious thing I do, when I start to have difficulty it seems to help. I have always been prone to motion sickness, so wondering if that doesn't have something to do with it.
After reading numerous posts here, I do believe it could be a number of things other than anxiety/panic disorder.
My thoughts go the opposite, that maybe it is other physical issues causing the problems with driving - that cause the anxiety, which makes it worse. I just know that I am really tired of being limited in my driving.
High Surfun!

Is your problem solved or still. Please tells about your stat.

Honest male
High Pairoj

Does the  Lexapro helped you in solving the problem or still it annoying you. What about Ativan? I know it is a strong medication but does it solve it temporarily or it continue for days weeks and how often you take it per week?

Thanks,

Honestmale
This is exactly what I experience when driving! I'm getting so frustrated that I can't drive on the highways. I have also developed anticipatory anxiety for the roads where I have had the breakdowns! Thanks for sharing this! How are you doing now?
Have you seen an Ear Nose and Throat Doctor for the Bubbles in your ears?  I did find out that I had extra fluid in my left inner ear. The gave me meds and now I need to return to check.
Did you ever get diagnosed, and was there help?
Have you gotten a diagnosis and are you being helped?  When I'm in the car, driving or not, I feel like it's going to tip over, usually to the left.  High speeds are worse, but even lower speeds are a problem if they bank to left.  This has been getting worse and effecting my quality of life.
Hi Ravineflyer. I (am 38) experienced same exact thing as you, But, only on highways. Good health, good weight, active. Same problem, neck stiffness, is it too much computer work? Too stress?
While driving, after a period of time, specifically on highways as speed increases, feeling like gonna lose my conscience or blackout. What is this? Is it too tense or too anxiety? Making blood slows down to the brain? not sure. But driving normally when exiting the highway.
Tried to breath and slow down, help a bit.
I have been having the same horrible problem, love to drive need to drive. My doctor told me to watch a You Tube video on  ....The Epley maneuver or repositioning maneuver is a maneuver used to treat benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) of the posterior or anterior canals. Try this I followed this maneuver for a month before I had to go on a highway trip I couldn't get out of. The trip went well driving two days over 55 no problem. But then I stopped doing the maneuver and the problem came back so if it works for you .. Keep doing it. Hope it helps me again , I have been at it for a week.
Imagine my tractor trailer driving next to you.  Imagine the truck driver with all the symptoms described from other posts.  Imagine how the driver feels when he is nearly out of control.  He can't stop because he must earn a living.  Imagine my truck crushing the other car in a wreck.  Who is the passenger?.......a doctor who won't research this issue because there isn't enough funding to do so.  It is going to take multiple deaths on the hwy before any research begins.  Meanwhile, dizzy CDL driver makes his miles.  Trust me....im not the only dizzy cdl driver with these symptoms. My God....please doctors.....this is a real symptom.  Do the work.  Figure this out.....or we might eventually meet on the hwy.
Wow! I am so relieved to find this forum.  I have been experiencing this for about 2 years. It has gotten worse over the last year to the point that I have been considering not driving. Doctors are not sure what is going on. My symptoms include a sensation that the car is going to flip over any time I curve left or right at speeds more than 50 mph, anxiety during the curving, and difficulty driving on uneven paved highways (mainly an issue through construction zones despite the reduced driving speed). Curves to the right are worse than to the left. It has really been frustrating as I average 3000 miles a month on the road driving on avg 70 to 80 mph. Now, if I drive myself,  I must stay in the slow lane doing the minimum to be on the highway. (I am quite sure this is irritating for the many trucks that are stuck behind me.) The doctors believe it is psychological as my eye, ear, and blood tests are normal. The only other recommendation was to lose weight as I have gained 70lbs over these past 3 years and take some anxiety meds for whenever I feel anxious. Again, so relieved to know I'm not losing my mind! I will definitely revisit this conversation with doctors and specialists.