Neurology Community
Feel like I am underwater

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Feel like I am underwater

I am 25 years old and have normally been fairly healthy.  Lately (like the past few weeks) I have started to get migraines that last sometimes up to five days.  I never usually get headaches.  It hurts most of my head but the most on the forehead and by my ears, and they are so bad that I get irritable and tired and just want to sleep and cry.  They do not haape all the time, like I will have one for 3-5 days and may go a week or a little more feeling fine, then it comes back.  This week it started on Tuesday, and I woke up feeling like I was underwater too far and had not equalized, or like I was on a plane and couldn't pop my ears---basically a lot of pressure all over my head and the same migraine which makes it hard to look at the computer screen or any light really. I also feel dizzy, and sometimes when I move my head around it feels like it is moving through molasses.  Today is Friday and I am still feeling the same way.  I have taken Excedrin, Advil, and Advil Cold & Sinus (with pseudophedrine in it) and nothing is helping.  I went to an urgent care clinic a couple of weeks ago and metioned it and the doctor said I had a virus and all I could do is rest.  My health insurance kind of stinks so if I go to another doctor or specialist I have to pay a crapload of money that I don't have.  I know that I probably should go to a doctor, but I don't have a lot of money and every time I have gone to a doctor it has been a waste of time because they usually just tell me that there's really nothing I can do but rest.  I thought maybe it could be allergies because I know my allergies can be pretty annoying sometimes (never have they been like this though), or maybe that it was because I'm not used to the weather--I just moved to Texas from Florida almost 7 months ago, but this has only started happening in the past few weeks.  Does anyone have any ideas on what could be my problem or suggestions on any remedies?
Thanks for the input.
Well, first I want to suggest you think about your workplace environment as a possible allergen source.  This is because you talk about it lasting 3-5 days, and also mention weekdays in your report, so that's what came to my mind.  If it's your allergies, there are allergy medicines that can be prescribed for you that will clear it up entirely.  Since your insurance is troublesome, you can go to the county health care clinic as a walk-in, be seen by a physician the same day, they only charge what you can afford, and he should peg allergies right off the bat and write a script for you.  I was allergic to a couple house rabbits we kept for a number of years, and my doc gave me a drug that kept that under control, sorry I cannot recall the name of it.

But there is another possibility, and again you can utilize the free clinic, that you have developed an earache on top of your usual allergies, and that's what is giving you the headache component.  You mentioned feeling like you're underwater, which is an ear thing, plus you mentioned it hurts near your ears.  An earache is very painful and will make you feel like you're going to die.  Also, could be your sinuses are infected and stopped up (some parts of Texas are very dry, the opposite of Fla), which that can cause tremendous pressure in the head and even work its way over to infect the ears.

In the meantime, get some plain saline spray from the drugstore, squirt that in there before you go to work, during break, during lunch, etc., and bring a bottle of plain water and sip on it all day, keep some aloe tissues handy to gently blow your nose when stuff drains out, and try to get outside during lunch on the porch or whatever for fresh air.  All this is just in case it's your workplace.  But whether it's allergy or sinus/ear infection, a visit to a doctor at the free clinic should do the trick.