Neurology Expert Forum
Feel of both upper legs (thigh) area have tight band around them
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Feel of both upper legs (thigh) area have tight band around them

Re: Feel of both upper legs (thigh) area have tight band around them

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Neurology Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CCF NEURO MD on June 26, 1997 at 13:33:38:

In Reply to: Re: Feel of both upper legs (thigh) area have tight band around them posted by LINDA INGLETT on June 17, 1997 at 09:34:37:

: Have you ever experienced this with this symptom..I feel I have a band of (such as the band you use to draw blood with) around each upper leg that my legs feel that they can't move well. with severe hip pain going down to knees...
  what kind of testing do I need for this..such as xrays...is this a sign of MS or is this a part of arachnoiditis..I walk alot and stay active so this is not like I have been laying down with this..for the muscles to be tight..plus with it seems that rest doesn't help this or being active doesn't help this.. any suggestions what Dr. I need to see on this matter.
  Also, what kind of plan does you University have on Pt.'s coming out of town for work up..second opinions..such as ..reservations of staying..pick up and etc..to make this trip comfortable for me.
  Thanks alot..I love the neurology board here..This is really great what your organization is doing for us "freebies"..lol..waisting your times..Thanks alot..your comments are greatly appreciated. I know you or not practicing on me..Just give me some advise what some causes of this might be.
  Linda Inglett
  ***@****
============================================================================================
Dear Linda,
Band like sensations are not uncommon complaints that neurology patients have.  The site of disease may be in the spinal cord or peripheral nerve.  It is somewhat unusual to get this symptom around the upper legs.  Spasticity (which is muscle stiffness) may give one a sensation of stiffness with pain and difficulty walking.  I agree that your symptoms should be evaluated.  A neurologist would be the most appropriate person to evaluate you.
The Cleveland Clinic often has patients come out of town for an evaluation.  We are well set up to handle this.  There are 2 hotels on the campus, one directly attached (the OMNI hotel) and one  (The Cleveland Guest House)which is accessible by a CCF bus (free) that has a regular route (or by a 5 minute walk).  Outpatient Housing can be arranged by calling 216-444-8511. There is a travel agency, Premier Travel 216-444-2564, that can arrange your mode of transportation.  The Cleveland Airport is approx 20-30 minutes away.  Neurology appointments can be made by calling 216-444-5559.  General patient education is 216-444-2656.  The toll free CCF # is 1-800-223-2273 which can also connect you to the various areas by telling them the last four digits of the phone #.  I hope this information was helpful and we look foward to seeing you.
This information is provide for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options of your specific medical condition.