Neurology Community
Feeling Drunk all the time

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Feeling Drunk all the time

For the past many years I've had this feeling of being drunk all the time.
It started when I was13. After a session of playing at school, I started to feel dazed and drunk, like I was in a dream. Very soon I started to have this felling ALL the time. Every single moment of every day for the last eight years. Initially I was very worried and complained to my parents and family doctor but to no avail. I learnt to ignore this feeling.But not any more. This condition has adversely affected my studies. I have become physically and mentally inactive. A simple task of reading is a challenge.
Things around me don't fell real...like in a dream. I've visited a neurologist several time and even had an MRI scan and various blood tests. All were normal.I'm really frustrated and confused. I'll be very grateful if someone could at least diagnose this condition.
You might have silent migraines.  What you're describing sounds very familiar to me.  I was finally diagnosed with silent migraines.  While I do get other migraines, the majority of them are silent migraines.  And, yes, I get that drunk like feeling all the time.  I've even had hateful people accuse me of being drunk.  That really irks me and hurts me at the same time, since I don't even touch the stuff as it makes me really sick.
I have this 'drunk' feeling too. Most of the time, most days. I've had it on and off for years but it's become more or less constant during the last couple of years. I have neck problems (degenerative discs) and chronic inflammatory sinus disease. Sometimes I feel off balance and my ears feel full and there's a pressure in my head and face, but that's to do with my sinus problems and feels a biit different. All i can get from the doctors after all possible tests is that itt's caused by my neck problems and there's nothing they can do. When it's bad I take Stemzine which helps a bit for a couple of hours. Dunno - it's spoilt my life that's for sure. Very sorry i can't help you, but that's my story.
People stare at me too like I'm drunk when it comes on bad while I'm out at the shops, and I can't bend over without losing my balance. Had to give up lots of activities. Lets hope yours passes. Good luck
Seriously, consider talking to the doctor about silent migraines.  At least you would get your doctor talking and you might be able to do something about this.  I know that drunken feeling you're describing only too well.  And, this silent migraine issue did turn out to be my issue.  It may take a while, as it has with me, but at least you would be trying different things and you should be able to at least reduce the severity.
man...this jus happe to me 5 weeks ago...what went from a bleeding infected wisdom tooth..to a viral infection..now to this drunk feeling(like if i drank 2 beers)...to sinus problems...i think...i also stare into things like if im daydreaming..i have 3 kids and im always happy and hardly sick..all my blood work has been normal....whats going on??...scary if it never goes away...i wanna start working out again...but i feel like i cant cause i dnt wanna fall or make matters worse...i ignore my symptoms daily....but im not the same person....all my friends are wondering y i dont come around ....its jus awfull.....wish some one could help..
Hello, I also am experiencing these symptoms and have been for 8 years now.  I don't have any answers for anyone and I wish I could say it gets easier but it hasn't for me.

Up until a year and a half ago the spaced out / always drunk feeling was really my only symptom.  I was then hit with several other equally and more disturbing symptoms.

Here’s the symptoms I’ve been experiencing over the last several years:

• Feeling spaced out all the time, brain fog, mental clarity off, eyes feel unfocused/dazed
This has been the worst of my symptoms over the years and it’s there 24/7… some days are better than others, but it’s always noticeable. This is especially worse when in busy visual environments, and under fluorescent lighting.

• Unable to Concentrate
I have a hard time concentrating or focusing on things. This is especially troublesome when talking to people, I often hear what they are saying but my concentration isn’t there so I don’t comprehend or remember most of the conversation.

• Fatigue / Always yawning
• Chronic Sinus/Nasal Stuffiness/Ear Fullness
• Dizzy, wooziness, off balance feeling
• Severe Eye Floaters
• Tinnitus
• After Images / Images get burned into my eyes
• Mild Visual Snow/Static on certain backgrounds
• Near constant eye/ear/temple pain
• Headaches the start at the base of my skull
• Muscle Twitching, Weakness and Aches

If anyone has any ideas or shares similar symptoms I would like to hear from you.  Please send me a private message so we can discuss.
Hi FurballsMom! Thanks a lot for your post. I will speak to my doc about silent migraines. I finally gave in to my doc's advice to meet a psychiatrist. He said that I'm suffering from some form of depression and put me on antidepressants(serlift). But the it caused insomnia so I'm taking zolfresh( a sleeping pill) to counter the side-effects of serlift.The serlift helped me initially but now I'm back to square one. ***** real bad.
Thanks a lot for your advice. I'm very grateful.
Jacob
Hi bigkev!
I can't say I share all the symptoms that you experience. But I do feel drunk all the time. It's really frustrating when docs say they have no clue. I completely understand what you are going through. Hope you'll get better!
Hi! I experience almost all the same symptoms.
Feeling drunk all the time.
'squiggly' lines floating in my eyes.
Constant fatigue.
Lack of concentration.
Ticking sensation in the ears. Ears feel stuffed.

Hope you get better.
Jacob
How long have you been experiencing these symptoms for and how did it start for you?
Hi!...It's been eight years now. I've had it since I was 13. As I mentioned in my first post, it used to happen only after or during any sort of strenuous physical activity. Soon it was 24/7. I've been to neurologists, ent specialists and even psychiatrists to no avail.
I have been feeling drunk/spaced out, black and white flashing swirls in my vision after exercise, tinnitus, hard to concentrate and need 9 hours sleep to feel like i have had 7.

I wonder if my kidneys have anything to do with it.

I use to drink alot of redbull (one a day for 3 years) and coffee until I got a really sore kidney about 5 weeks ago. Since I stopped the black and white swirls went away and I only feel half as drunk as I use to. I still have the tinnitus though and still find it hard to concentrate.

I know my immune system is low because I have been getting sick. I feel like I have glandula fever back again too (drained after exercise and swollen glands).

I am a pilot and I had a full aviation medical about a month before the kidney pain and nothing came up from that.

I hope I am on the road to recovery. I will get back to the doc soon and if I get a diagnosis I will post it here.
Hi...I've been doing some research and I've finally found a disorder with the same symptoms as the ones we have mentioned above...It's called 'derealization'. At least we now have something to work towards! Good luck!

Jacob
hi jacobdv i was wondering if you still feel that drunk spaced out feeling? if not what did the doctors figure out it was?
Google candida.  It might be your answer.

I have had the same feelings. I have had so many tests done: MRI, EEG, EMG. My left arm at my bicep feels like some it taking needles to the inside of my nerve. They still have no idea, if you get any answers please let me know
Exact same symptoms here!!  No idea what's up.
Could possible be you have Huntington's Disease, is a neurological disorder that is fatal as of now. Long term effects of dizzy spells, difficulty doing any daily activities, trouble with coordination, speech slurry, jerky motions, anxiety, depression, feeling tired and drained of energy a lot, legs feeling heavy like lead at times...and so much more than this at www.hdsa.org
I feel that way too.  It seems to be a chronic silent migraine or migraine associated vertigo.  The only way to control it is to not do anything for days and then do very little.  No motion and no florescent lights.  Eventually the brains calms down.  Then I have to avoid these triggers like the plague.  I have had this for 6 years.  It took three years to realize every symptom is part of a chronic migraine
I was in a car accident in August and fractured my T7 & T8 vertebrae, since December I have been having panic attacks and this past two weeks I been having the feeling of being drunk.  I have been off my meds for 2 weeks now so I know it's not them interfering with my body. I can't drive highways or roads with no shoulders or night time or bad weather.  I am getting worse ever day and my doctor is doing nothing, and no it's not silent migraines because I do get them and they are nothing like this. I don't know what to do any more.
Hi lilnewk...sorry for the late reply...but yes, it's still there. I just completely stopped all medication because of the adverse side effects (Antidepressants which caused insomnia which required sleeping pills etc.) I'm learning to live with this. I'm working too. I must have mentioned the silent migraine thing to a doc. Don't remember what happened.
Wow. So many answers. Has anyone mentioned that perhaps your eye muscles (which you have 12) might be pulling your eyeball out of sync? This is what has happened to me, and I cannot drive at all. I become completly drunk. I can only drive a mile or two, that is it.

I do have a neurological disease: neuromyotonia. That is what causes my muscles to react in the way that they do. Not saying that this is your problem, but it might be that your eye muscles need prisms or surgery. Have you tried this yet?
Has anyone found anything? Is it candida? Gut fermentation?