Neurology Expert Forum
Feeling like my brain is burning

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Feeling like my brain is burning

Hello, I am a 32 yr old male.  

I have had in the past trouble with vertigo type symptoms and my head was scanned by MRI and CT,  as recently as 6 months ago.    

But lately I have felt disconnected from my surroundings  on a constant basis almost as if I am always breathing nitrous oxide gas,   and I will for many days at a time,  had this sensation that my brain is burning....not exactly a headache, just a very peculiar and distressing,  vague feeling everywhere inside my head, and I feel very restless and uneasy, and queasy when my head feels this way.

I also experience these random quick episodes where it feels like a current of electricity zaps through my head and I feel dizzy and confused about my surroundings for 3-5 seconds, ending with a shock feeling in my stomach and hands.

Any ideas for me?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

I have noticed that you have posted similar symptoms previously this month. Please refer to the answered post dated Jun 16, 2010 05:55AM.

The symptoms you are describing may be reflective of emotional/psychiatric problems related to stress (what is called somatization disorder). The latter is a true medical condition whereby instead of a patient experiencing depression or anxiety, they experience physical symptoms, and once the stress is addressed, the symptoms resolve. Fibromyalagia is another medical condition that leads to whole body pains, and is best treated with medications such as lyrica and neurontin, exercise, and physical therapy.

One differential that should be included is a seizure. If you have not had an EEG performed in the past, and if felt clinically warranted by your physician, it may be worth pursuing.

You should follow up with your PCP to discuss your concerns.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
Psychiatric huh?  Oh Jesus Christ,  I will never get to the bottom of this...I give up!!!!!!!!!
I know how u feel.  All these damn doctors love to say everything is psychiatric, this way they can give u antidepressants, avoid the real problem, and the phamacitical companies make big money. Its the easy way out