Neurology Community
Feeling of electric shock in my brain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Feeling of electric shock in my brain

I had an episode that felt like a huge electric shock going through my brain that lasted like a second or two. At the same time my legs buckled and I thought I was going to fall. I've had several small episodes that would make me stop what I was doing but it would go away within 2-3 seconds. Not like this last big one. I have fibromyalgia. I've also had a speech problem since my early 20's likemy jaw or tongue just twitching so that it makes it difficult sometimes to complete a word, even when I'm reading. It's worse in the morning. I've had a cat scan of the brain, MRI, EKG, speech therapist, psychiatrist (?), neurologist, you name it but nobody knows what's causing the speech problem. This last episode with the "shock" has had me worried. Has anyone else ever had this?
'
I also have had the electric shock pierce my brain on several occasions. I never consulted a professional about it. Being bypolar and taking many psychotropic drugs for same, I have always assumed it was due to these medications. You do not mention what medications you are on, if any. I haven't had one for a few years but when I have had them, my body reacts with a jerking motion. Perhaps I should have looked into it more. I do not know.
I'm taking 75 mg amitriptylene to help me sleep, Prevacid, 2 kinds of cholestrol pills, very mild doze of relaxant for my speech problem and pain meds for my fibro. I haven't heard from anyone else who may have had this kind of episode.
I have had this sensation many times previously. Mostly occurring when begining to 'relax' or trying to fall asleep. Mostly occurring in a state of 'come down' - 1-5 days after ingesting abnormal amounts of alcohol, nicotine, drugs and seriously interrupting sleep pattern.
It is quite frightening, especially when it happens frequently. On one perticular day I had small shocks almost constantly. I would estimate at least 200 over the day. I also had flu at this period. Not nice.
I also learned to control them slightly, 'soften the blow' even, as i felt a shock coming on.
They occur very rarely nowadays with generally the same lifestyle. Thankfully =)
this is the first time ever anyone has acknowledge my exact symptom, which  is sudden feel of electrical shock going through my brain.   It is sudden and fast and if I am sitting.   I just throw my head down, if I am walking it throws me forward.    My neurolgist gave me large amounts of steroid.  which helped, however, after 2 months i had one last night.   After reading your post, I looked up some information and found some causes are very low blood pressure which I have been dx ed with.   I also has a mild form of Multiple Sclerois.   Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.      
ive had these rare episodes time after time, i feel dissoriented and off balance afterward and now i get tingling n my leg, they normally been happening when i laydown and get up. maybe sinus or blood flow but im not sure it goes away and i get it right b4 i get sick, fever, cold.
I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING FROM WHAT I CALL SHOCK WAVES SINCE I WAS (AROUND THE AGE OF) 22 YRS ( im 43 NOW) I THOUGH I WAS GOING CRAZY. MY DOCTOR LAUGHED AND SAID THAT WAS IMPOSSIBLE . WELL ABOUT 10 YR AGO I WAS SEEN BY A NUOLOGIST AND HE GAVE ME topamax it helps out alot not as often oras bad as they were . good luck and may god bless you all that is suffering with this you are in my prayers.

I was looking for help and researching this same feeling.  .I myself have severe Fibromyalgia and was diagnosed at the age of 22 and have been suffering from it for 3 years now. I have a outstanding doctor but my appointment is a week away for these issues of a shock feeling in my brain. My episode really made me feel like I was dying right then and lasted about 20 second in which I couldn't speak or explain what was happening but when it stopped I felt as if it was a near death experience. I hope to figure out what is happening to me on my next appointment. Please let me know if you have any new information these episodes scare me so bad.
I get the same feelings.  Its comforting to know I'm not alone, however I'm sorry for anyone that has to go through these. I did have an MRI after experiencing these, and thankfully it came back clear!  My doctor and others have assured me that this is most likely related to stress and anxiety.  Look at you life and recent events and I'll be you find they correlate.  Now I'm no doctor, but I would say that you can rest assured you're not dying and your not crazy because of these!  :)

Blessings to all!

-G  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSRI_discontinuation_syndrome
Please reduce sugar and fat intakes from your diet, even if in your blood test they are shown normal.
These kind of sensations may also be a result of withdrawing some anti depressant medicines.
There might be other reasons too.
I have heard that consumption of Yoghurt and Cheese can also trigger this sensation (Electroshock).
Also fruits or vegetables and foods that have a COOL NATURE, should be avoided. Here are a list of
cool-natured ones:
Vegetables - artichoke, bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, corn, cucumber, daikon radish, eggplant, mushroom, spinach, swiss chard, turnip, zucchini, alfalfa sprouts, bamboo shoots, button mushroom, carrot, dandelion greens, endive lettuce, lotus root, potato, romaine , Chinese cabbage, tomato
Fruits - apple, avocado, black currant, fig, lemon, prunes, tangerine, pear, oranges
Grains - amaranth, barley, buckwheat, millet, wheat, wild rice
Seeds - lima beans, mung bean, soybean
Animal Products - eggs, pork, duck, frog, rabbit, duck egg,
Spices - marjoram, mint, peppermint, tamarind, cilantro leaf
Oils - sesame
Misc - beer, green tea, milk, tofu, yogurt

http://www.pulsemed.org/thelist.htm

And apart from all these, hot chilli should be avoided too.
I have this experience also since 13 years, now I'm 39. but now I know the reason of this and I know when maybe it will happen.
Example: If I didn't  sleep enough time one week or more, I feel very tired  when I comeback from my work, so I want just lay my body down, but If I sleep, that shook will come to me. the same thing If you have more stress and spend long time at night working and tried to sleep in different time that you daily sleeping, sure you will get shook. This is my experince on this case, and I'm sure If you sleep ealry and enough time daily, this thing will disappear.