Feelings of choking 12 weeks after anterior cervical fusion
I had a coporpectomy at C6 and a diskectomy at C5-7 stabilized with a titanium cage and anterior fusion, plate and screws 12 weeks ago.  I was doing fairly well until returning to work(computer) in the last month or so.  I am having more problems with pain from the bottom of my neck to my right shoulder blade, it also hurts toward my armpit on the front side & my arm feels weaker on the left when trying to lift it.  BUT my main concern is that for the last couple of days I have felt like my hard collar is on too tight and I feel slightly choked.  I remove the collar and it doesn't seem to help.  It almost feels as though the constriction (?) is on the inside of my throat on the healing scar/incision in the front of my neck.  I have had a hysterectomy and have had alot of problems with abdominal adhesions and I guess I am afraid that adhesions are developing on the inside of this healing incision. Is this a possibility?  What other things could be causing this sensation?  If it is adhesions, will it get worse and cause swallowing problems? Any information would be appreciated.
I had a fusion 5/17/06 and ever since I woke up from the proceedure I've felt like something was pressing in my chest and eventually it's in my throat. I've been checked upper GI and by a throat specialist as well as put on GERD meds. and nothing has worked nor has anything been found wrong? I've been told anything from it could be reflux to nerves and or physcosematic. Nevertheless It's there and real. I'm hoping with more time the difficulty swollowing will diminish with healing. It was relieving to know someone else has had a simular experience. Today I am going to invision myself healed. I hope the same for you.

This may not be the same thing but I had similar choking sensations about 12 weeks or so after surgery.

I described it as like something was pressing against my throat or almost like a chord being pulled across my throat, particularly when I turned my head.

I had it checked out and nothing was found. That was six years ago and I have to say it simply disappeared within about 12 - 24 weeks.

May not be the same thing

Hope this helps
Nick
hi, just found you all and wish I found you 2 years ago!  I just saw my surgeon yesterday and I'm very discouraged and a tad angered with the rest of my providers today.  I had a botched M/L laminectomy in 2001, revision/corrective surgery with fusion from C2-T-1 6/06.  Since the first surgery I've had horrible burning around my neck, chest and upper arms, I have strong spasms that are more like seizures.  And, since the second surgery, I have been complaining of choking sensations - this is two years now.  

I found out yesterday I have 2 out of 12 screws are broken, this debiliting burning is FMS and the choking is from the surgery?  I've seen the ENT's, put thru awful testing and then put on drugs for reflux - which, after reading these posts is pure HS and nobody seems to want to be bothered!!!!  My throat is so funky I sleep on a cervical pillow, because ANY pressure on my throat sets off choking spasms.  Is there any hope of being healed, or am I now just another train wreck surrounded by health care providers that don't particularly want to "get involved" with little more than band aids?

Thanks for being there and giving me the opportunity to vent a little....

J
I am 3 weeks post op laminectomy.I too have this swallowing issue.is this going to be a problem forever?I feel like I am gagging on everything even my spit when I swallow.please help.