Neurology Expert Forum
Feels like I'm vibrating!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Feels like I'm vibrating!

I have started feeling like my body was "vibrating" - not spasms, or jerking - like there is a vibrator in my body.  Feel it most in the back, but everywhere else too.  Mostly happens when I am sleeping or relaxed - it will wake me up, but has happened once when standing. Does not hurt - just very disconcerting.  What is it?  Who do I go to for it? What words do I use to check the internet?
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.      
     The symptoms that you describe of 'vibrating' is very atypical and does not fit in a neurologic disease that I am aware of.  That being said, some people with numbness or other sensory complaints associated with multiple sclerosis, seizures or even TIAs (transient ischemic attacks) have described such strange sensory phenonenon.  I would suggest that you get an MRI of the brain with contrast to evaluate for a structural lesion (such as MS, stroke, tumor, etc).  I would also suggest an EEG (brain wave test) to evaluate for any possible seizure activity.  If the above test come back normal and you have been evaluated by a neurologist, I would suspect that your symptoms could also be due to stress/anxiety (although this diagnosis is only to be considered after the testing is done).  
I hope this has been helpful.
First of all, I am 28, Male.

I am sorry to hear that this is happening to you, but for me-I am happy to have found you at some level.
    THIS HAS BEEN MY SYMPTOM FOR OVER 2 YEARS NOW AND YOU HAVE FINALLY DESCRIBED IT TO-A-T!
    But yes, you are not alone. Everything you say about it is like I am reading my own thoughts and experiences and I have never found anyone who understands it.
    I have seen about 9 doctors-of varous specialties-and none of them have answers. I have noticed that stressful situations can make it come on. Originally it started with only when I was lying down-this lasted for about 6 mo. It always seemed to be in my back, but then, it finally has become my whole body; but the epicenter, if you will, is the lower back.
    I have had contrast MRI studies of the brain,  c, t and l spine and nothing there indicates something weird, aside from 1 thing.
    I do have typical MS lesions in the brain and in the C-Spine. They think that I have Lyme disease instead of old fashioned M.S.-but who knows.
    I know the hell of this weird symptom, believe me, I do.  
I am 56 Female with multiple medical problems.  This one is relatively new.  After several TIAs in 2002 they found a few areas on the brain - maybe MS maybe the TIAs - not sure.   Father, uncle, great uncle all  had Parkinsons.  I have fibromyalgia, arthritis, and bone spurs in several joints as well as the spine.  So many symptoms can be attributed to various reasons.  Where should I start with this "vibrating" sensation?
HI

I don't mean to piggyback your comments but I can associate with the vibrating feeling except it is located in my head.  I had a recent episode which was like my brain shaking, I can't describe this very well but it was a momemtary shudder in my head and I had to steady myself,  I got an awful full feeling in my face afterwards.  I am awaiting an MRI scan, it could take two months for this. But when I get these feelings, it feels afterwards like the world it slanted and I'm walking up hill on straight ground, anyone else got these sort of episodes? I had neurological tests, and they are normal so even the Docs are scratching their heads and holding out for an MRI scan to show what it is. I have a history of Sarcoidosis on the lung, wondering could there be neuro involvement?

Best regards
Jane
I often wear a pager at work that silently vibrates in my pocket when paged.  I noticed I continued to reach for the pager long after I returned home at night and even weeks between wearing the pager. The sensation genrally occurred at lower abdominal to upper thigh area frontal area.  Always thought it was just a memory association, electromagnentic field or something equally unusual. I stopped the vibration while wearing the pager and put it on beep, but I do continue to have the sensation.  It is truly a bizarre feeling and occurs quite frequently.
I am a 52 year old female with the same disturbing vibrations.  For me, it is head to toe.  I had an MRI w/wo contrast about six months ago and it was normal as was my neuro clinical evaluation.  At this point, I am so sleep deprived that I feel it has worsened the condition.  I wish I could offer insight, but I'm as lost in this maze as you are.  Sleep aids only make my symptoms worse.  I have also noticed that other stimulants (alcohol, caffein, and meds such as benadryl and tylenol p.m) increase the intensity of the "buzzing".  I hope you are quicker finding a diagnosis than I have been.  Best wishes for your continued good health.

P.S.  Do you drink diet soda by any chance?  An alternative dr. scolded me for the number of diet drinks I consume on a daily basis, and warned me of the side effects associated with aspertame (sp?)  Just a thought.
I have read and heard that aspartame can cause neurological deficits. I quite them a while back-if I were any of you, I would stop.

It certainly is not helping us.
For those worried about the calories/sugar (and weird chemicals), stevia is a natural sweetener and an alternative to aspartame, sacharine, etc.  Some of the stevia products add silica and other junk, but SweetLeaf (and possibly some other brands) don't.  It tastes good and can be bought at a natural foods store and even supermarkets now.  I put it in tea and coffee and think it tastes good, but some people don't like it, so try it first (it's kind of expensive).
It sounds like we are a lot alike. I also have MS-type lesions but I also have a positive lyme test so I'm not sure which I have. I also sometimes get the "vibration feeling." In my case, it's restricted to my left leg. I also get a pulsing sensation in that leg that only occurs when I lay down. The weird thing about this is that it is the same rate and rhythm as my pulse. I can suppress it by tying something tight around the leg (gate control theory, perhaps?) and that is how I manage to sleep at night. Like you, I tend to get the vibration feeling during periods of stress. For me though, this tends to make me more anxious which brings out more paresthesias and I get a nice positive feedback loop going. I just hope these antibiotics do the trick.......
I have noiced this on antidepressants ( with meand others).Also,alow TSH ( too much thryroid hormone being produced.)
I had the "vibrating" feeling while taking Prozac, it lasted about 3 weeks after gradually tapering off.  I also had cold shooting feelings throughout my body.
This came after my first attack with an unknown condition that caused topical numbness from the waist down-considerations were Acute Transverse Myelitis, Multiple Sclerosis or Lyme disease.
It started as an echo in my chest, then, became (epicenter low back) full body. While all of my other symptoms have for the most part subsided, this remains-but-is becoming less and less frequent.

I have never taken psychoactive drugs.

Hope that my contribution helps, and, despite a growing opinion-I am not playing doctor.

I am just smart and educated.

Peace.
So others have this too?  For the past 3 years I have had vibration in abdomen.  Feels like the purring of a cat.  Started out on left side only when I am sleeping.  Not painful but wakes me up because it feels so weird.  Past year it has spread occasionaly to right side, and sometimes entire abdomen, still only when I have been asleep.  Have been to 5 doctors, I fear they all think I am a hypo.  I continue to worry what is causing this.  Gastroenterologist told me the good news is it hasn't killed me yet.  I was not consoled.  The vibration feeling goes away if I sit up, get out of bed or change position.  Sleeping on my left side seems to bring it on sooner.  At first I only had it occasionaly but now I have it almost everynight.  Help!
Just another commment on our collective weird vibrating feelings - When I was going through the worst of Sarcoidosis, at night I used to get vibrating feelings all over my body - you know like goosebumps, but uncontrollable ones that just kept coming, until i eventually fell asleep.  I took them as night chills, but they were horrible and as I said uncontrollable, I notice now in times of stress, like if I had to address an audience ( sometimes part of my work) I will get these dreadful uncontrollable vibrations and they render my limbs almost numb, like I'm going to faint.  I don't think it is a psycological symptom, but I am sure the Doctors think I am neurotic as hell!!

I have never taken anti depressants, but I was prescribed them for palpitations once. Can your body just react more nervously as you get older?

All the best
J
I am a forty year old female nurse .
For 10 years , except for the last three up until yesterday I have been going to dr's under going test after test after test, i can tell you this , it is not lyme .

I am negative for lyme disease more than once , negative for lupus more than once tsh for the last 10 years normal !DO NOT LET THEM SAY ITS FIBROMYALGIA ITS NOT !
However all they can find is , multiple brain lesions dx Possible relasping remitting MS but the lesions are never active .
I have Chiari malformation , I believe that is the culprit of the vibration.

I wll tell you why ...for three years I have done well up until now , now I am in the worsepain i have ever been in in the upper spine a pain you cannot describe not in the muscles , numbness tingling is back in the arms and hands , visionis getting screwy , and well the vibration is in my feet and legs and is most noticable after walking and it goes all the way to the buttocks , the doc said beore I told him anything just by looking at me and the way I was carrying my self you have chiari when I told him everything he said , i do not know if is worse and now we have a nerve study scheduled and mri .... As wellwas very intrestred about the vibration .

My advice Find a good Neurologist ....i you have pain in upper spine , if coughing or straining causes the most God awful pain in your head you have ever experienced in your life first bend your head forward it wil relieve it , second tell your doc, ! upper body weakness and pain 9 times out of ten with the vibration it is chiari malformation , find a good Neurologist .and internist not a family doctor
Good Luck
Ps it took me about ten neurologist and more internist before i got help !
Leigh
I have the same "vibrating feeling." I usually feel it when I'm laying down. Whats weird is that I can't see anything shaking. I look at my hands, arms....nothing! I haven't told anyone about it. The doctor aleady thinks I'm crazy enough with all the joint pains I complain about. Hope someone can up with something on this one.
An EMG and a spinal tap could possibly help reveal some infection in the spinal fluid and neuropathies.   I have the buzzing and my neuropathies are caused by what doctors think was a viral infection contracted last spring.  I had 5 hospital visits and spent months in a wheelchair due to extreme weakness, buzzing and tingling in my arms and legs.  No fun at all, I am sympathetic!
Thats amazing that you said that your problems all started after a viral infection.  I have had these feelings for 6 years now, I got really sick on New  Years Eve day in 2000, it started all of a sudden, I felt sick, weak, and very nauseous.  The nausea lasted for 3 months, went and had blood work done, doc said it was a virus.  I couldn't eat for almost 2 months, no appetite, lost a ton of weight, went down to 108 pounds.  After the nausea went away, is when the weird feelings started.  I get buzzing feelings, and cold water feelings.  I did have the vibrating feeling, but went away after stopping Prozac.  I was a very sick pup.  When I think back, I don't know I survived it.  In fact, I cry when I think back.  My husband told me it was all inmy head.  I would call my poor parents at 3 a.m., and tell them to take me to the ER.  This happened 3 times.  Had all kinds of stomach tests done, upper GI, colonoscopy, hepatabiliary scan, and scope down throat.  Nothing, everything was normal.  My brain MRI last spring was also normal, c-spine showed a bulging disk.  Its awful.  How long has yours lasted?  Do you have numbness?  I don't.  Just these weird feelings on a daily basis.  Been tested for lyme, lupus, TSH, sed rate, FSH, IPEP/SPEP, multiple myeloma, RA, and EBV.  Normal.  Its very awful, I can sympathize with you.  Thanks and take care, Jennifer
Thanks Jen,

I can relate to the parinoid calls at 3am to those you love and a unexpected trip to the ER only to get a discharge note with no instructions or answers.  My family is giving up on me....LOL but I still have a good sense of humor despite my terror. Here is my story, maybe you can find something that may be of help.

Last March (2006) I started to experience symptoms of numbness, tingling, burning and severe weakness in my thigh and calf muscles. Simmultanously I also got carpel tunnel in both wrists. I was very sick from the pain found that sitting relieved my symptoms briefly but eventually they would return when I attempted to walk. Gradually I began to get sicker and my neuroligist told me after several blood tests that I had the coxsackie virus, but he was not sure the coxsackie was responsible for the neuropathies. After 5 hospital vistis including the Cleveland Clinic, 2 muscle biopsies, MRI's, CT scans, spinal tap and several rounds of rehab, all testing was negative except for original bloodwork which showed my immunogammaglobulins were out of wack and my ANA was slightly elevated. It was concluded by a neuromuscular specialist that I suffered from a post viral syndrome and she felt that I would slowly recover within a year . I am not confident that this is what caused these symptoms and am concerned that something is being overlooked. The diagnosis given was purely based on exclusion. I was using crutches, and a walker for the first 5 months and then for the final part of the year (7 months)I was in a wheelchair and unable to walk. I started walking in mid-December and have continued successfully without a great deal of pain until now. The past few days I feel the symptoms cropping up again and I am not sure if it is normal for this to happen after such a long illness and recovery. The weather is very damp here and It may be just a temporary setback, but I am searching for anyone who may have had this or knows someone who did. I need advice on how to deal with the pain. Can I recover from these neuropathies? Thanks all.
Scared to pieces.
Yep, they all (family) think that I make this **** up.  I don't, its true, and its annoying.  I think that you are alot worse than me, god bless you, you poor soul.  I have no answers either, just say a prayer every night hoping that it will go away, and stay away FOREVER!!!  I hope you feel better, I will say a prayer for you tonight!!!  Jennifer
I thought it was very interesting that you have a "shaking" vibration in your head... I have had SEVERE vertigo for many years and I have had a feeling as well, like a vibration in the brain... When this happens, it almost feels like some sort of a seizure to me... I also feel as if I am moving across the room "real fast"...   It will last for a brief time and be mild to severe ( in sensation).. I have explained this to many doctors over the years and they just say, hummm, never heard of that... So, I really do not know what is the cause. I occationally get really bad pain in my neck and wonder, if due to poor posture over the years (??) it might have something to do with my neck area... ANYONE out there feel the same...? This vibrating feeling in the head is to weird....
I have these vibrations also, but only when I first wake up.

Not all the time tho' I have some neck problems..bone spurs DDD and junk going on. I think the docs blame all my symtoms (symptoms) on this. Maybe they are righ I just dont know anymore.
The internal vibrations sure do a number on your sense of control with your body connection.  I used to lie on the couch with a cold cloth over my head and pray that they would just stop.  I thought I was going out of my mind.  The worse thing is that they aren't detectible by a doctor and they think you are psychotic.  My family also thought I was making up all these weird symptoms, buzzing, stabbing pain, numbness, pins and needles.  My finger nails feel like they are being squeezed in a vice. I can't walk properly and my speech is affected.  If you first met me, you would probably think she has been sipping all day.  I am female, age 60, and had no known health problems until I came down with a virus in 2002.  They have ruled out Lyme and I have had four MRI's, EMG and an EEG, which were all normal. So, I have an undiagnosed neurological condition.  Like so many others, without a diagnosis, you are kind of lost in the maze, and have to fend for yourself.  However I knew what a normal life once was and my sympathies go out to the other people also affected by these weird troubling symptoms, while at the same time trying to keep our sanity.  God Bless and hang in there.  
Yes, what you describe is similiar to mine - I had to describe it to a consultant recently and I couldn't find the words, I said; It's like an electric shock or spasm, or it feels like my brain is shaking ( he looked weirdly at me when I said that) or it feels like you are been pushed from behind and you have to reach out and grab something before you fall over - He never mentioned vertigo, although this came to me, because there is a family history of it.  
Anyway I'm booked for an MRI on the 14th - it may bring up something - although I had an MRI before and it was perfectly normal.  It is a hard thing to describe, but seizure or vibrations, it is scary when it happens.  

The neck thing is interesting too, because I always wake with a pain in my neck and can never get my head into a comfortable position at night - I regularly buy new pillows, special ones, fluffy ones, orthpediac it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Regards
J
I have the same problem with my neck.  I cant get comfortable and have a hard time lifting my head off the pillow.  I have already had several MRI's of the head, and C-spine but nothing seems to come up.  I am very discouraged.  I also had that strange sensation where it feels as if someone is pushing you or your brain is shaking, I find that happens around my menses a lot.  The vertigo does go away, just in case you were wondering.  I went to my chiroprator and he said sometimes there are small like calcium deposits that will get lodged in your ear canal and can they can cause a great deal of trouble.  He used a technique where he had me lay on the chiropractor chair on my back and he lifted the back of my head and gently shook it ever so slightly.  This is suppose to release the small debris trapped in your ear canal.  I hope this helps you as it did me.
You described the vibrating sensation in my head perfectly. It just happened today when I got up from the chair at my hair salon. I have never felt anything like it before.

I've been having strange symptoms since November, and it looks like my diagnosis going to be Lyme Disease. I came up negative on the ELISA test, but I had 3 positive bands on the Western Blot.

I have my first appointment with a Lyme Doctor on Monday.

Did you have your MRI yet? Did it show anything?
First time i ever heard anyone mention this. i feel better all ready. i get the same vibrating in the center of my back- only at night when i sleep. when i awake for any reason ,its there. if i get up, it disapears.not every night-seems to be random. we can rule these things out
I eat healthy
I take no meds
no alcohol or caffine
no smoking or drugs
no diet drinks of any kind
I do have arthritis in joints and spine
i have something that is affecting my muscles, getting weaker in legs
I pray someone is friends with a doctor and ask him or her to read these posts and try to help a bunch of people all at once. i have a suspicion it is a virus that attacks the muscles or nerves. if some one can figure this out i will give them a reward!
I asked my neurologist about the vibrations the other day and he was the only one who did not look at me crazy ! So I said well What the *** is it he said that they call it abnormal sensations ....lol well duh !!!!

Well atleast it is acknowledged ....
I believe it has something to do with the chiari malformation . Just my opinion . I personal have not had a viral infection , just brain lesions and a sagging brain , i like to say  i just have such a large brain it cannot all fit into my skull so it is falling out .

Better to laugh than cry i suppose .
I spent the last year in crutches, then a walker and a wheelchair for 7 months. I got a virus and they think I am suffering from post viral syndrome. My legs and arms have stinging and buzzing (neuropathy) and I am very tired.  I am healing after 5 hospital visits so I think your suspicion is correct. I am 40 and was an avid rollerblader.  Go figure! I eat healthy, dont drink, no drugs (not even pain meds) and dont smoke??? I was told it was from low B12 coupled with a virus called the coxsackievirus.
I also have this sensation; it seems to be centered down by my bladder. Just below my naval, centered and about 1/3 of the way inside my body. It feels exactly like I have a small cat on my lap, gently purring, with rhythmic pulsing. It only started this week, and its starting to drive me nuts.

I just googled 'vibration in abdomen' hoping to find a good resource for this, but instead this thread is the only thing I have found. That worries me.

At first, last week, I found myself reaching or my cellphone (which I keep set to vibrate), but it wasn't. Then this week when I began to be able to isolate the sensation, I started to think that it had something to do with how I was standing or something....like maybe the joint in my hip or knee was stiff and 'creaking' or something. (I'm 48, BTW)

Today, I started wondering if maybe the sensation has something to do with my breathing. I am just recovering from bronchitis, and I was hoping that maybe my lungs were wheezing at a very low frequency that was being felt in my abdomen. But I can tell that its not related to my breathing at all.

Is there a name for this? I really would like to find out what the heck is going on, and hopefully make it go away. I don't think I can get used to this....
With the weight of comments on this weird vibrating thingy to this thread, maybe one of the doctors here could throw some light on this - I know a lot of our symptoms are differently located, but maybe there is a simple explanation out there.

I too find it a difficult thing to google, maybe we are using the wrong words, although I can associate with a lot of you here, so we are certainly able to vocalise the symptom.

All the best
J

Thank you !!! I thought I was crazy.  I have been expierencing the vibrating sensation about 2 years now...it usually occurs when I am sitting.  Mine is just above the pubic area.  

I have never said anything to anyone before because I thought it was all in my head...now I am learning that there were a lot of things I should have not kept to myself as I start to see my Neuro.

Going for MRI's and MRA in two weeks.  I have to say that I am scared to death!
I also experience feelings like things are vibrating inside of my body, especially related to eating and bowel activity.  Please read my situation below.  I am struggling with my symptoms on a daily basis and they are increasing in frequency and intensity and I am completely unable to function because of them.  I am currently 25 years old and would like to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar and what they found to relieve their symptoms.  

Thank you!

Prior to 2002 I never had any major medical problems, but towards the end of year I began experiencing fatigue and amenorrhea.  Then in August of 2004, I became completely constipated, and until February 2006, I was unable to have any bowel movements on my own without the use of a large volume water enema.  During this period, I was hospitalized on a couple of occasions with impactions.  Oddly enough, I felt minimal discomfort from my condition and wouldn
I also experience a feeling like something is vibrating inside my body, especially related with eating and bowel activity.  Please read my situation below.  I am interested in knowing if you or anyone else has experienced any of these symptoms and what you have found to relieve them.  I am 25 years old.  

I found this website interesting http://www.jeffmann.net/NeuroGuidemaps/spinalcord.html
wow... I'm glad I'm not crazy!!!  The first time I experienced the head vibrating was January of 2006.  The doctor thought it was possibly a precursor to a migrane (migraine), gave me some medicine for migraines and sent me on my way.  It did not work.  He did a CAT scan Xrays & blood work all showed nothing wrong.   After about 2 weeks of constant vibrating it just stopped.  it started doing it twice over the course of the year but went away after a couple of days.

Last week it started again.  It's pretty constant but gets more intense at times.  Trying to explain to a doctor that your head is vibrating inside while it's not actually moving does make one feel crazy!

Unfortunately I no longer have medical insurance, so visiting a nurologist is pretty much out of the question for now...
What is going on with you is complicated and obviously difficult to understand, so I don't know if I have much to offer.  Just a few things, though.  Though it's not clear what is causing your constipation/bowel problems, you did mention you had several gastric emptying scans.  I'm not sure why they are different each time (slow, rapid, normal times), but possibly you have intermittent  gastroparesis (not sure what would cause it to fluctuate though).  If you haven't already tried domperidone (promotility drug) you might want to ask your doctor about it.  I order mine from Canada and get a pretty good price on it.  It helps me some (with bloating, pain, etc., from the gastroparesis).  Unfortunately, Zelnorm is being taken off the market so that is no longer an option.  

Regarding your low blood sugar, how do you know that isn't related to your stomach also?  I have been having more episodes of low blood sugar since my gastroparesis has gotten worse, most likely due to the uneven/delayed time it takes for the food to leave my stomach, be absorbed by my small intestine and enter my bloodstream.  If you have delayed stomach emptying that could affect your blood sugar levels.  

If I were you I would try to get in a question to the forum neurologist, though it will probably be few weeks, or go straight to a univ. hospital/major medical center and see if they can figure it out.  If you are in graduate school maybe you are near a good one.  

I also experienced a link between fluctuating hormones (at time of ovulation every single month) and acute exacerbation of all my symptoms. You said you were no longer having periods at 25 or 27.  What do the doctors think the cause of this is?  Have you been worked up for thryoid and other endocrine disorders?  I went through an early menopause at 43 (not exactly premature ovarian failure, but earlier than the norm) and I believe it is due to my autoimmune autonomic neuropathy.  

I'm not sure I understand the connection between your neck and bowel problems (something to do with the vagus nerve?)--I'd have to go back and read what you wrote--but possibly, if the vagus nerve is involved, you do have some type of autonomic neuropathy problem.  Autonomic dysfunction is complicated and hard to diagnose-or at least to identify a cause in every case, so maybe if you had the chance to explain your symptoms to an autonomic dysfunction neurologist he/she would be able to figure it all out.  
As I read through these comments, I am wondering if any of you have experienced 'butterfly-like" sensations in your mid sections? This happened to me for about two days. It felt as if I was on a roller-coaster ride. Very strange feeling. After two days, it stopped.
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my posting.  I appreciate your suggestions and I think it is interesting that you have abnormal blood sugars related to gastric emptying.  I have been worked up by at least a dozen different doctors - neurologists, gastroenterologists, endocrinologists - and they have come up with a handful of laboratory and functional abnormalities but no concrete diagnosis or reason for the symptoms I have.  I have even been seen at the Mayo Clinic and recently traveled out of state to see a different GI doctor.  The assumption is that I have some sort of either autoimmune or viral induced dysautonomia, but it is more a diagnosis based on the fact that no one can come up with any other diagnosis that relates my symptoms to one another.  I have had autonomic testing on a tilt table, thermoregulatory test, and acetylcholine sweat test, and they only showed mild abnormalities.  However, I was given the diagnosis based on my symptoms and the fact that the aforementioned tests do not investigate GI related autonomic function which is where my symptoms seem to come from.  Thank you again for the feedback.  I wasn't familiar with zelnorm going off market - are you in the US?  Where did you hear that?  Thank you!
Yes, I'm in America.  I saw on CNN 9 days ago that the FDA asked Novartis to take Zelnorm off the market.  I called my gastroent. on Monday and they said to stop taking it.  I asked at the drug store on Wed. and he said I couldn't get it anymore (not that I tried-just wanted to see if it was pulled off the shelf yet).  Are you on Zelnorm?  I got more help from that than the domperidone--my stomach is already hurting me more.  Never tried Reglan and don't really want to.

Regarding autoimmune dysautonomia, it looks like you have other autonomic dysfunction going on as well if there were abnormalities-however mild-in your autonomic lab values (in addition to your gastroparesis/stomach/bowel problems).  I was told at Mayo just a couple weeks ago that most autonomic neuropathy is autoimmune in nature (whether primary or secondary to some other disease), so I guess it is not surprising that they think yours is as well-even if they can't identify a cause.  I don't know if you also had blood work done to try to identify the cause, but I had a lot done (including the neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor-or whatever it is called-that I read is positive about 40% of the time in autonimmune autonomic neuropathy (AAN)), and ALL my blood work was negative.  Still, the doctor told me that she thought I had autoimmune autonomic neuropathy.  I read that the higher the titer the worse the autonomic dysfunction-directly correlated-so the fact that mine was negative made me feel a little better, though i imagine the titer can fluctuate just like any antibody level can.  

Tell me, have they suggested you do anything to treat what you have (immunosuppressive therapy, IVIG, etc.) other than to treat it symptomatically?  Do you have any problems with swallowing, your bladder (urge incontinence or urinary retention), heat intolerance (if you have lost any sweating function), slow or rapid pulse, orthostatic intolerance, etc.?  Every single article I have read on autoimmune autonomic neuropathy (AAN) lists urinary retention (not urge incontinence-which I have) as a problem, but I was told at Mayo one could have either.  And do your symptoms fluctuate as mine do?  I imagine that is where the autoimmune factor comes in.  I still believe my autonomic neuropathy is secondary/part of something else and not a primary autonomic neuropathy (as I also have mild motor, sensory and other stuff), but nothing has shown in the blood work, MRIs or LP, so I guess time will tell.  
I am really scared and I need HELP! you see if i shake my head i can feel my brain shaking i am only young but to scared to go to the doctor and when im sleeping there is always this buzzing noise in my head every night and i cant sleep because im scared i wont wake up please give me some advice xx
Hi Annie62,

Thank you for the correspondance.  I did see now that Zelnorm was taken off the market.  I found it interesting that it was removed due to cardiac rhythm abnormalities because the time that I tried taking it I felt so many arrythmias and irregular heartbeats that I stopped taking it.  In addition to the GI problems, I have several other symptoms.  All of my symptoms flucuate and I have "tolerable days" and days that I can't function at all.  Some days one symptom is worse and other days it's another.  In addition to the GI symptoms, I experience sudden "attacks" of wooziness and a feeling like I am in a magnetic field or something is vibrating inside my body.  I get irregular heart rhythms and boughts of extreme fatigue.  I have had very bad reactions to every medication that I have ever tried, so I don't take any medications except estrogen and progesterone replacement (I also developed amenorrhea at the beginning of all my symptoms and was later diagnosed with osteoporosis).  I also completely stopped sweating at the onset of my symptoms and I have a very difficult time in both hot and cold temperatures.  IVIG was suggested at one time, but I never received it.  Otherwise, not much has been suggested - I tried and had a bad reaction to pyridostigmine.  The neurologists have also suggested very low doses of several other neurological medications to be use off-label, but I have not tried any of them yet due to my past medication experiences.  I have never had the blood work receptor test you mentioned, but I do have an elevated ANA, rheumatoid factor, and lipase levels 3-4 times the upper limit of normal.  I also have incredibly low ferritin levels and other iron labs, but no one has been able to explain this even though I am not loosing blood in my stool and no longer menstruate on a regular basis.  What I actually did last week was consult an acupuncturist because I feel that I am out of western medicine options and the doctors don't seem to have a good grasp of what is happening to my body.  I want to procede slowly, but the acupuncturist felt that she would be able to help.  Although I am hesitant to get too excited, she said that from an eastern understanding my symptoms make sense to her.  I am praying that the acupuncture will have a positive effect and help me to become more funcitonal because right now I am frustrated and scared and live minute-to-minute at the hand of my autonomic symptoms.  When did your symptoms first begin?  How old were you and did you have any event that seems to trigger them?  Are you able to work - have you found anything to relieve your symptoms?  What MD did you see at the Mayo Clinic?  I saw one with whom I was not impressed at the Mayo Clinic in MN.  I look forward to reading your thoughts.    
     I, too, get vibrations, but they happen to me in bed like many of you.  Have you looked into sleep disorders?  I was diagnosed with sleep paralysis and vibrations, though rare, are a symptom.  For me it takes my whole body and feels like when you've been on a boat all day and you still feel the motion of the boat when you get home, only multiplied by 10.  It is a scary feeling, but try seeing if you can control your vibrations by speeding them up or slowing them down.  I read this somewhere years ago and it worked for me.  It doesn't cure them or cut the episodes down in any way, but it gives me a sense of control which makes it less scary.  
     Now about sleep paralysis: everyone's brains are meant to release a chemical during REM sleep to keep us from acting out our dreams.  Sleep walkers don't get enough, people like me who suffer from sleep paralysis release the chemical during partial consiousness and are AWARE that we are paralized.  Does this sound like you?  There's more (isn't there always).  There are two types of SP: common and hallucinatory.  Most people have an episode of SP in there lifetimes.  Most will only have common.  Some of us have hallucinatory.  A symptom of both is feeling that you can't move and if you don't soon, you'll die.  It sucks, but once you get used to it, it's just unconfortable, but managable.  Some symptoms of hallucinatory can include seeing lights, hearing voices, VIBRATIONS, feeling that there is an evil presence in your room and other fun stuff.  If this happens to you, feel better.  It doen't mean that you have schizophrenia.  It means that your are partially conscious and dreaming at the same time.  Loads of fun.  You get used to that too.  
     For me, SP is almost always accompanied by vibrations.  My vibrations are strong and often accompanied by a buzzing feeling (sometimes the buzzing feeling stays with me for hours afterwards).  Like many of you, I haven't found a doctor yet that will do anything beyond uttering something like WOW, that is odd! or something wholly unhelpful like that.  Atleast we are not alone, though it sucks for all of us, doesn't it.  Let me know if any of you suffer from SP too.  Should be interesting if it is common amoung us.
Hi Seeksanswers,

I didn't realize you had so many different things going on.  I can't remember, did you say you had gotten a diagnosis (or what do the doctors think at least)?  The test I referred to regarding autoimmune autonomic neuropathy is the neuronal nicotinic aceylcholine receptor.  I read that it shows up in about 40% of those with autoimm. autonomic neuropathy.  Did you have a lot of blood work done to try to find the cause of your autonomic problems?  All my blood work was negative, including the n-AchR; the doctors at Mayo aren't sure what is causing my autonomic dysfunction but said it is probably autoimmune in nature, and aren't sure if it is primary or is secondary to something else.  Have you had MRIs and LP and what were the results?  

My symptoms also fluctuate (day to day, even minute to minute).  I think makes it even harder for others to understand the nature of what one deals with.  One minute I don't feel that bad and the next I don't feel so well.  I also have an irregular pulse (mine is slow-50s-used to be very fast before I got sick) and I feel faint a lot of the time (some kind of endocrine thing?)  But I don't have BP issues (yet), however-no dizziness/orthostatic intolerance (tilt test normal).   And I also have incredible fatigue as you do.  I have to force myself to do just about everything I do.  You said you stopped sweating early in your illness?  Was it all over, patchy, on one side, or what?  My symptoms started when I was 27 in '90. I lost the sweating function on the left side of my body back then (developed a left Horner's syndrome-very first thing I had).  I don't remember anything preceding the Horner's (any infection or anything, but can't be sure), but later with the onset of new symptoms I clearly had a preceding viral or bad bacterial infection prior most times.  Normally I rarely get infections (am very careful/wash my hands a lot), but 4-4 1/2 years ago I had a UTI, cold, and something with my stomach with high fever all in a row, and a couple months later my hair started falling out-mild but patchy-all over my body, and I still have this.  Infections seem to be a triggering event for me and my dyasautonomia is probably autoimmune in nature, but not for certain.  I don't have any problem with the cold (occasionally i suddenly get freezing cold, though), but most of the time I have this warm sick feeling in my chest, my heart pounds on that side) and I have an intolerance in general to heat (I had hypohidroris of left leg on QSART test, so possibly I have some hypohidrosis left over from the past left-sided Horner's).  I also had a positive ANA, but the highest mine ever was was 1:160-a mild positive.  Other antibodies normal, including RA factor.  I have had a fluctuating mildly evevated calcium and they did a PTH level on me at Mayo, but calcium returned to normal. I can't find much information on the net on the effect on the different glands from autonomic neuropathy.  Do you know much about this?  Since you have had amenhorrea off and on I thought you might know something about the relationship to different hormones.  

If you don't know what else to do next, then I guess acupuncture couldn't hurt.  I don't know much about it, but I know there is legitimacy to it.  Some MDs even perform it.  You probably know a lot more about it than I.  It's not something I've ever read up on.

I only work part time.  (Are you still in grad school?)  I do not feel well enough to work full-time.  I live alone, have a house and yard to take care of by myself.  Just getting through each day is very draining for me.  Some days aren't so bad and other days I have significant pain from my gastroparesis and just feel ill/faint with all the chest symptoms I have.  

As far as anything relieving my symptoms, well, I've been asking/hoping for "relief" for 13 years.  I couldn't even get a doctor to believe that I was actually sick until December, so, no, I've gotten no treatment whatsoever for my symptoms (other than the gastroparesis which I was dxd with in August and then I started on meds for that.  Eventually I got referred to Mayo-Jacksonville and thanks to the GP dx finally was taken seriously.  I saw two doctors up there.  I really don't want to mention any doctors' names online.  I did like the female doctor I saw there (but not so much the other one; I didn't feel as though he cared a whole lot/indifferent/cold fish.).  I did read several articles by the autonomic specialists up at Mayo-Rochester-Sandroni and Vernino (?) and the research they did on rabbits/mice with experimental automimmune autonomic neuropathy.  

Right now I am trying to get a neurologist to see me.  The one practice I called has told me that two of the doctors in that practice will not see me (after reviewing my records).  Not sure if the others in the practice are willing to or not (??)  She told me to follow up at Mayo.  Yeah, right, I'm going to drive 500 miles each time to see a doctor!  As if I haven't been screwed enough by doctors in the past, and now I'm going to be screwed in a different way.  I get the feeling they don't want to touch me with a 10-foot pole because of the fact that I was dismissed for 13 years by doctor after doctor in this town as psychosomatic-as if that were MY fault.  All they think about are lawsuits.  I have no intention of suing anyone.  The only agenda I have ever had was to get help/be believed, but that was apparently too much to ask.  So I do not even have a neurologist and do not know how I am going to get one-at least that is any good.  I have decided to return to my PCP-see him next week-even though he still was dismissing my symptoms the last time I saw him before I headed up to Mayo and I am still pissed off at him for that.  Hopefully he will acknowledge all that went on and will try to get me in to see someone in this neuro practice.  I can't very well go back to any of the neuro practices I have seen in the past that dismissed me.  They'd probably tell me the same things/make the same ignorant assesment of me that they made before.  Maybe I should and then surprise them with my records.  I'm sorry this is so long.  I still have a lot of anger and don't know how to get rid of it.  I start to come to terms with some of what happened to me and then something happens like neurologists refusing to see me in their practice.  
hi Gina

A lot of what you refer to makes sense, except now most of my bad vibrations happen whilst awake and upright, I have suffered from bad sleep, a bit like you say moving during dream sleep, or at least a full body vibration, and horrible nightmares, if I don't get enough sleep, my next night's sleep is always fraught, and I often wake up physically trembling.  I don't sleep walk, but I definetly sleep shout and flail! However I wonder if the brain shakey (shaky) feeling I'm getting is related to motion and balance.  At the moment if I close my eyes whilst standing I feel that I'm moving.  Like you say about being on a boat all day, that motion feeling, or like walking uphill on flat ground.  But the experience of the bad brain shakey (shaky) thing is like a strong sudden fizzy feeling in the head.  I can suffer the vertigo like symptoms that come after it is the sudden fizzy, shocky thing that almost knocks me off my feet!

thanks
J

I am a 56 year old male.  About two years ago I felt my head and shoulders    vibrating.  At first, I felt it at night and now it is also occurring in the day, but not as noticeably.  As a teacher, about 5 years ago, students asked me why I was shaking and I said "I don't think that I am," I thought they meant my hands.  They said that I was shaking all over.  Anyway, I have taken a high dose of Wellbutrin for 15 years.  The past few months I have had an obvious jaw vibration and chattering of the teeth which I can't control that well.  Did anyone ever hear of this?  Also, my father has Parkinson's and my mother has Essential Tremors.  If it didn't get worse it is just very annoying, but I know that my jaw is disconcerting to feel and others to watch in a typical conversation.

Like many other people, I should see a doctor but haven't, hoping that the problem would just go away.

Hi Annie62,

Thank you again for your thoughts.  Believe me, I completely understand the frustration and fear that you feel regarding your symptoms and the experiences that you have had with doctor's dismissing your symptoms or having nothing practical to offer in terms of treatment.  

To answer your questions...

I am diagnosed as having an autonomic dysfunction, although the origin is not clear and it has taken several years and exclusion of most other possible causes of my symptoms to arrive at it.  Because I have an elevated ANA, rheumatoid factor, etc it is speculated to be autoimmue-mediated.  All of my symptoms and medical problems began developing about a year after I had a "viral" illness (swollen glands and bad fatigue for about 2 months) from which I never really recovered.  They have multiplied in number and intensity since then, so the best diagnosis I have is that something was set off when I had this "virus" and I now have neurological, immunological, and endocrine manifestations that debilitate me on a daily basis.  Despite being 25 I have probably had more blood work, biopsies, scans, and scopes than ten 90 year olds combined!  I have the abnormalities I mentioned before (elevated lipase 3-4 times upper limit of normal, low ferritin, low estrogen, mildly low thyroid, somewhat abnormal autonomic test results, both hypo and hyper glycemia, and all those symptoms I discussed in depth).  I've never had a LP, but at least 6 MRIs of my brain and neck haven't shown anything structurally wrong with me.  When I stopped sweating it was pretty much all over except my hands and feet.  I haven't regained much sweating and can't tolerate the heat.  My body is capable of sweating on the QSART, but I don't sweat in a thermoregulatory test.  I don't know especially much about autonomic-related endocrine function, but I honestly don't think that any medical professionals know much about it.  I am in the medical profession and have done searches of research and literature and there is not much information about there about what has happened to people like you and I.  I just know that the endocrine axes are autonomically controlled and can therefore be affected by autonomic dysfunction.  So, I am still in graduate school, although I am supposed to be starting clinical rotations in a month and don't think that I will be able to.  I will likely need to take a medical leave from the program, but I am not sure how helpful that will be given that there doesn't seem to be much to do to relieve my symptoms and everything I have tried has made me worse.  It would just crush me not to be able to graduate because I have wanted to work in medicine for as long as I can remember and I am very academically motivated.

I wish you the best of luck with finding a neurologist.  I have seen at least 6, and I have finally found an academic medical center that understands autonomic dysfunction and has given me a diagnosis.  Like I said, I understand your frustration and anger with the doctors.  It's hard to treat and understand something as abstract as autonomic dysfunction, especially when there is no magic cure.  Doctors want patients that they can write a prescription for, send out the door, and not hear from again for a year.  The hardest thing to hear from a couple of doctors during my struggle for a diagnosis was the suggestion that I had an eating disorder!  I thought - you've got to be kidding me!?!  You think I am in any way doing something to myself to make my life a living nightmare like this?!?  I don't think so.  It has certainely been a hard road and I don't think it'll smooth out anytime soon, but I am praying that the acupuncture will have a positive affect.  The lady seemed positive that it would to helpful. I can let you know how I respond to it if you'd like.  Take Care!
You need to go to the patient to patient Neurology forum below & past your message to Bobb Hinton...He is a retired neurologist who answers questions if they are posted to him...

TJ
darnigirl,

Sorry I mis-typed his name, it's Bobb Hilton....

TJ
Seeks Answers,

After you've undergone the acupuncture, do post back and let me know what the results are for you.  Just one more thing-you can respond later if you want to-do you think there is any way you could have some kind of polyglandular failure (since you seem to have multiple endocrine/glands involved as well as the autonomic dysfunction?  I have two cousins on my dad's side that were dxd with Addison's disease (their mom has it as well, so apparently it's hereditary).  My one cousin has more than just his adrenal glands involved-he has problems with his thyroid, pituitary, etc., so I don't know if he has Addison's, polyglandular failure, or what.  I know Addison's/polyglandular failure is rare, but it's a possibility.  If you are in the medical field you probably know more about it than I.  I do think it is considered autoimmune in nature, though.  I look forward to hearing from you on this board in the future if you don't see this post.  Good luck with the acupuncture.
I hear what you are saying about Vertigo.  I was recently diagnosed with Vertigo by a neurologist.  For the last six months, I'd be working (I'm a waitress) and out of nowhere, the room would swing around for a couple of seconds.  Not a good thing when you are carrying a tray.  I haven't dropped anything or passed out, but it's annoying and a little scary.  The neurologist (whom I've dropped cause he's a rip off artist) said that I have ear crystals loose in my left ear.  He then proceeded to write me a prescription for neuratin after I told him that I would rather change my lifestyle than be put on meds since I am more into natural health.  That was the final straw for me since there were other things that I didn't like about him (such as not listening to me and ignoring the things I thought were important) and I paid him off and dumped him.  By the way, if a neurologist tells you you need a test for something, ALWAYS ask the cost before committing.  Mine charged almost $4,000 (before my insurance discounts were applied) to have me watch a computer screen and shoot water in my ear as a Vertigo test.  I was appalled.  All in all, I forked out nearly $1,000 from my own pocket for nothing.  He didn't do ****.  Of all the neurologists in this area, I picked the idiot.  It's made me nervous to go back to one because I'm afraid to make the same mistake.  At any rate, I'm dealing.  Atleast I know what it is.
     The problem is though that I have a host of issues particularly with my head, neck, and shoulders that I think are related to my sleep problems and the Vertigo and I can't get one doctor that will consider this because they are only comfortable with one or two aspects of my issues.  It's so frustrating.  I know that I am not a doctor, but I think a person knows their own body and that is what mine is telling me.  Now, if only I can find a doctor that will consider everything as a whole and will treat the problem, not mask the syptoms (symptoms).  Another thing to consider is that almost everything that is wrong with me seems to be inherited through my mother's side of the family.  My sister, mother, nephew, and grandmother all have so many of the same issues and still none of us have found much relief.  What about you?  Does it seem to run in your family?
Thank you for responding.  I appreciate it.
Hi again Gina

As to heriditary problems, I have asthma so had my mum, my sister and 2 of my nephews, my Dad had vertigo most of his life, I don't know if there is a connection.  I had an MRI brain scan yesterday to see if it will throw any light on these strange symptoms, I suppose I could be waiting weeks for the results.  Regarding medication for vertigo, my dad was given a drug and he took it constantly for about two years, he was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease 3 years ago, I googled the drug he was taking for vertigo and it was one of the ones that can cause drug induced parkinson's - he went off the pill and he is back to normal now, I can understand your fear of taking medication, this experience has certainly made me think twice!!

However, If I knew it was vertigo I was suffering from, I would feel a lot better about the symptoms and just get on with it, it is the blank looks from Doctors I cannot abide and the constant tests are a real pain in the butt!

Best
J
Hi again,

I will certainely try to post back on this forum once I have tried a few sessions of acupuncture to see whether or not they have a positive impact on my symptoms.  In regards to Addison's and glandular failure, I had a ACTH stimulation test performed this past summer and that was normal.  I actually do see an endocrinoligst every 6 months and we monitor all of my gland function and labs because my hypothalamus and pituitary are funcitoning questionably.  Thank you for asking and suggesting it though.  I have appreciated all of your comments - hang in there and don't give up!  You only have to read some of the posts on the forum to find a small amount of comfort in the fact that there are other people out there who struggle through each day and live minute-to-minute at the mercy of unexplained symptoms!  Best wishes and I hope you find a neurologist that will take you as a patient and be willing to work with you to improve your life or at at least monitor your symptoms.
I came across this forum while doing a search for "body vibrating". So nice to hear that others have this same phenomenon. My thoughts are that is has something to do with the body relaxing after being tense and stressed out. I usually get it when I am soaking in a nice hot bathtub or just before falling asleep.  I used to be able to take things like Alka Seltzer Plus and Tylenol PM but the last times I took them I came up with a terrible case of "restless body syndrome". Not just the legs, which I get fairly often, but my whole body. I have been feeling very stressed out lately with some anxiety symptoms too, like the rapid heartbeat and palpitations. Not sure if someone else mentioned something that I dealt with several years back and finally discovered the culprit. I would get these aweful headaches and like brain static and a feeling of dizziness. After lots of searching I found out that it was a withdrawel symptom from Effexor. there are several other SSRI antidepresants that will give you the same kind of withdrawels. Just awful. Anyway, I am happy to find others who have this weird body vibration thingy. Just wished we could get a solid explantation for what it is.
I also have been having this problem for some time. I was given a perscription of magnesium sylicylate. I have been taking this for only 4  days and it may be helping. Ask your doctor if you could have a magnesium deficiency.
hello,
I just wanted to share that I have the EXACT same thing, vibrating in my head, followed by intense vertigo. It's been going on for aboutr 7 weeks on and off, and I have also been mildly dizzy most days. It started with the vibrating sensation in my neck (only lasts a few seconds) but yesterday it happened more across my entire head.

I agree that the vertigo is not so bad, the vibrating part is VERY disconcerting.

I had an MRI and EEG, both normal.

One thing I read here that sticks out for me is pain in the neck and shoulders. I have pretty bad pain there from stress, etc. and am wondering of that is the cause (pinched nerves or something).

I have a follow up with neuro on Monday but am not hopeful for answers, judging by what I am reading here.
i have just read this vibrating topic and also the hot wet sensation topic in another forum & i never realized so many people have this stuff. In fact, I wonder if the Dr doesn't hear about it cause people just don't generally tell unless someone has it really bad as some of you do, and then there are probably lots of other things going on that take attention.

I have this vibration pretty mild and intermittent and never mentioned it to my neurologist, mostly cause mine  seems pretty inconsequential & minor (even a bit funny at times, and makes for some awkward social moments) , though now I probably will, to add to the list of weird stuff I have had over the last few years.  Sometimes I think my cell is vibrating on my leg & its not, or I spilled something on my leg or there's a hot spot--usually its my right thigh. I also have several other odd things that have come for a while & then gone in diff parts of my body, like burning hot sensations, prickling, tingling, aching, icy sensations, twitching, very weird cramping, pain breathing and swallowing, and even some odd occasional myoclonic jerks & electric shock sensations. I have also had lots of headaches, nausea, cold intolerance, dizziness, hyper reflexes, and occ one of my pupils dilates, and a couple times got misshapen. I used to be quite healthy.

I wish I could say what my problem was as it seems so many people have similar problems, but I don't know and I have had lots of good care. I have had lumbar punctures and a couple electrical tests and they are negative. I do have a brain mass near my brain stem, but its stable and probably not the cause per most drs., but maybe it does play a role say some, though its not growing as far as we can tell. I think its helpful to think of how little we know aout the human body, and I think it is good to try to keep a sense of proportion and beware that if you have MRI, or other tests, things will likely come but may not be something to worry about. There's probably lots of causes, and one I think makes sense is that it could be a virus or environmental exposure that occurred in the past.
I don't want to weird everyone out...but...I once did a lot of reading in the subject of astral projection/out of body experience, and some of what people are describing sounds a lot like what is described as a pre-astral condition. In particular, body vibration and buzzing while relaxing and on the threshold of sleeping, and very weird dreams. If you want to pursue this topic, google The Monroe Institute.
OMG, I at first thought I was going INSANE when I had my first vibrating sensation. I thought for sure I was going insane, and I didn't know WHAT to expect. I thought for sure it would lead to a seizure, I would black-out, or something!!

I was initially told that I was suffering from Panic Disorder/Panic Attacks. since I at first was getting the typical attacks of the heart palpitations, clenching chest wall pain, lightheadedness, and freaking out that I was going to die or have a heart attack.

So my doctor decided to try putting me on Zoloft, in the SSRI class of anti-depressants since she thought for sure it would do me wonders and eventually get rid of and eliminate my symptoms. My GP promptly wrote me a script for Zoloft at 25 MG, and told me, "take this, you will be fine and it will do you wonders!"

So I left, of course stupididly believing every word she said. I went and filled the prescription, and the next day popped my first pill...

About a few hours into taking it, I had the WORST feeling in my life (well, it only got WORSE from there). I felt severely woozy and lightheaded, and had to sit down to balance and keep myself together. It felt like the entire room was spinning, and my head just felt BLAH all together, like I was getting a head illness or something. I was in a store that day, since I assumed everything with the med. would be fine, and was getting ready to check out when it just HIT me like a ton of bricks. Now, I have had lightheaded spells TONS of times in the past as well as Panic Attacks and Chest Pains, and it was NOTHING like those I had experienced before!!

After that ONE day of taking the pill, I deviated away from taking it again! My symptoms improved, and I no longer had any more of those light headed spells after that one day..

However, as I was STILL suffering from the severe heart palps, chest pains and anxiety/panic attacks, my mother convinced me to give the med. another try, since my "sis was on an SSRI for her GAD and it was working her WONDERS." Still skeptical about taking the med., but DESPERATE to get rid of my other symptoms, I again popped the med...

Now, the first day I was fine, and this was on a Friday. I was back in the apartment with my fiancee, and it was late one Saturday night, and I was just lying in bed waiting for my man to finish getting ready for bed so I could follow up as well. I then all of a sudden felt this ELECTRICAL SURGE seem to VIBRATE throughout my head/brain, along with a ten-fold pins-and-needles feeling that surged through my head. I then felt the electrical surge feeling continue to surge through me, even going up and down my spinal cord. I PANICKED, of course, not knowing WHAT was happening to me. I started seeing blotches, and I PANICKED that I was going to pass out, have a seizure or SOMETHING!! I ran around the apartment, the feeling still going on through my head. I then tried sitting on the bed to calm myself down and regain myself, and it seemed like it started to pass. Then, I felt ANOTHER attack, worse than the first, which truly caused me to have blotchy vision and just go into utter chaos.

My fiancee drove me to the hospital in case by the time we got there my symptoms worsened or progressed. Eventually, the off-and-on symptoms DID pass, after about 45 min. to an hour of pure hell and off-and on VIBRATION FEELINGS and ELECTRICAL FEELINGS surging through my brain.

We just went back to the apartment, and I went to bed that night.

The next morning, I woke up, and probably a mix between me having the attack that night and due to the fact I didn't get much sleep, I felt completely SLOW and BLAH the entire day. I could barely bring myself to speak, I dragged myself slowly across the room, and I just overall felt like a complete pile of ****!!

I called the doctor-on-call (since it was a weekend) and told him about my horrific experience. You know what he did?? He "Poo-Pooed" me away and told me "Oh, it's not the medicine, just you. It was probably just a bad Panic Attack." I was SO mad....he also told me to "continue on the med." >:(

I continued taking the med., and that following week, on a Wednesday, I had ANOTHER milder, but more PROLONGED attack that lasted off-and-on for about 2 HOURS!! :( :( It kept me up until like 1:30 a.m., so needless to say I slept in late the next day...

The problems FINALLY seemed to dissipate, for about 2 weeks. However, after those 2 weeks were up (and I was still on the med.), I AGAIN began getting the weird head attacks!! Most were not as severe as the first, but they were still attacks nonetheless. Now, I have had Panic Attacks, and know what those were like, and sure these caused me to have Panic Attacks also, but moreso since I didn't know WHAT THE HELL was going on!!! :(

I was then getting head-related zings/buzzings/electrical sensation attacks EVERY DAY, sometimes mild and bearable and other times not.

I eventually STOPPED the med. after having it in my system for a month, but my stupid GP (she is a good doctor, but not for things like this) told me to QUIT IT COLD TURKEY. She said I should not experience too much side effects, if any.

Well, needless to say it made my head attacks TEN FOLD!! Sometimes they were mild and bearable, like before. And there were days I went without attacks. But when the bad ones struck, they left me PARALYZED in certain limbs, my head felt like it was going to go into CONVULSIONS or something, and it was just like PURE HELL!! I was completely conscious during these attacks, so you can imagine the FEAR I was under during this time.

I had an attack that was SO BAD once: I was just sitting on my computer, and then I all of a sudden felt this WEIRD sensation in my brain, particularly on my RIGHT side, and it felt like my brain/head was going to go HAYWIRE!! It physically felt like I was about to have a stroke, seizure or SOMETHING, even though I never did!! Well, of course I PANICKED, and I called the ambulance in fear it was in fact a TIA, stroke, or seizure about to happen!! I walked downstairs from my apartment, and as I stood on the stairwell by the doors to my apartment complex, I could feel my WHOLE RIGHT LEG BUCKLE UP, GO NUMB, and I COULD NOT EVEN MOVE IT!!! I was PETRIFIED!! What the HELL was going on with me?!?! :( The ambulance came, and before they came I could feel the feeling return in my right leg, it went "erect" again and I was able to regain control of it. I had to BALANCE myself by holding onto the railing of the stairs while it happened. Yet I remember every speck and detail of it perfectly...

After about a month 1/2 or so, and after starting on a mult-vitamin since I thought maybe I had some vitamin deficiencies that were attributing to my problems, my problems not only began to dissipate, but the head zings almost vanished COMPLETELY!! I still get the dizziness/lightheadedness and my head will feel quooky/odd still at times during some of my Panic Attacks, yet NOTHING like I had to endure before!! And sure, I still get heart palps and anxiety, but NOTHING like the torment and torture I had to go through getting ON and then OFF the Zoloft!!!

I am now seeing a Psychiatrist, who prescribed me with Lorazepam and also prescribed me with Lexapro, even though I TOLD him about my reaction to Zoloft. He was STILL convinced, however, that it was just Zoloft and that another SSRI should do the trick. Well guess what happened???

I took it on a Saturday, and for most of the day I was fine (aside from feeling a little tired). I thought maybe I was HOME-FREE and found a med. that would work GREAT!! I took it at NOON along with the Lorazepam, which I take 2-3 times daily. After 6 HOURS of the med. being in my system (Lexapro), I got ANOTHER head-related attack of the electrical vibrations, ten-fold pins and needles feeling, and getting sweaty and clammy, then cold. I immediately called my doctor, and STOPPED taking the med from there on out.

I am still taking another med., Lorazepam, for the panic attacks, but I still get the head zings and vibrations occassionally still (perhaps as a reaction to having the Lexapro in my sys. for that one day???).

I mean, my doctors assumed it was part of my Panic Attacks, but how could it make my LIMBS GO NUMB like that and UNABLE TO MOVE, let alone those painful electrical surge feelings I used to always get.

Anyone else have any advice/ideas as to what we could all be??
OH MY LORD!  PLEEEEEEEEASE tell me A MULTITUDE of PHYSICIANS will look at this very long thread!
MY Sister has been suffering with the SAME EXACT "vibrational" feelings and "buzzing" feelings in her entire body for over 2 years now.  She's been (just like it seems all of you have) to FOUR Neurologists, probably just as many Ortho. Docs. and is getting NOWHERE!  All her Neuro tests, MRI's, etc, etc, are NORMAL!  She has (and tomorrow, I'll get her on here to more accurately describe this part) a definitive diagnosis (PARTIAL), a "kink" in her cervical spine that is so severe she is facing a possible surgery that will leave her with no head mobility.  She is A YOUNG, BEAUTIFUL, ENERGETIC, "HEALTHY", THIN, ATHLETIC, HAPPY, FIRECRACKIN' 44 YEAR OLD MOTHER WITH THREE BEAUTIFUL " BABIES" to raise: 14, 9, 3.  .she can NOT leave herself in the condition this surgery is definitely going to leave her in . .and they STILL CAN'T TELL HER IF THAT'S WHY SHE'S "BUZZING". . OH my God, I can't believe these countless posts all stating such similar symptoms and I am sick for her (and for ALL of you) that NOONE is seemingly getting anywhere?  Oh yes, ALSO, no MS, No Lyme Disease. . . etc, etc, then WHAT???

Is anyone from the CT area?  Do we need to form some kind of "grass roots" movement to awaken the Medical Community to WHATEVER is causing this.  She is NOT depressed, she is NOT anxious and trust me, if she thought that was what it was. .  she would have NO problem saying so . .she is NONE of those and won't "cop" to any disorder that she doesn't have to in order to get some Doctor's attention.

It would be my GREATEST JOY in life to give her this GIFT, to try to help her find an answer. . I'll take her ANYWHERE?  Is the Cleveland Clinic "the" place for "hard to diagnose" disorders?  Does ayone know?  Oh God, My heart bleeds for her all day, every day (and now for all of you). .

THERE HAS GOT TO BE SOMEONE WHO CAN HELP US????????

PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE
BARB
Here's some food for thought. Your vibrating problems and other unexplained symptoms could be the result of a release of energy that goes through the spine called Kundalini. When Kundalini releases it causes a lot of perplexing problems. You don't need to be a Yogi or on a particular spiritual path for it to happen. You may be awakening to a higher aspect of yourself and it causes a little energy storm within yourself. For further symptoms of Kundalini check this website. http://www.lycaeum.org/altered/kundalin/kundsymp%7F.htm
I am sorry, but I really don't believe something so horrid to be a spiritual or out-of-body experience or message from the Lord.

I have had very "enlightening" moments, but it is NOT a result of this physical torture that I must endure. That only occurs when I am in deep meditation or thought, then the Lord makes things clear to me as to why I am suffering through this torment day in and day out. He helps to put my mind at ease, but he CERTAINLY isn't causing the symptoms I am experiencing.

Through my meditation, I have learned that in all reality I was just through the years doing it to myself. I always struggled to work hard, and at the same time I was a bad procrastinator and stayed up late at nights, and over time my body and mind could only handle SO much stress and tortue, so it is more of a rebound effect. God has shown this to me, but he certainly wouldn't cause such a horrific experience or infliction upon me. That is just blasphemy and ignorance, my friend.

What I have DOES have a diagnosis: I have Panic Disorder, or Anxiety with Panic Attacks. My chemical levels in the brain are out of wack, and the brain is unable to compensate and unable to control those particular chemicals which focus on the autonomic nervous system and regulating anxiety and panic. In normal situations, when you are at ease your anxiety and chemical levels in your brain SHOULD be low, yet in a person suffering from anxiety and panic problems, the levels are at a constant flux or constant high (depending on the situation). It thus causes the body to physically and mentally react when the levels get "high" and the brain is unable to control the functioning of these imbalanced chemicals. So, panic hits, as well as all the physical symptoms to boot.

Instead, I'd recommend taking a look at this site. It lists EVERY possible symptom for anxiety and panic attacks, and most I myself have experienced AND more which to me should be listed. Yet I have had EVERY test possible, and all came back fine.

I want you all to check this out, especially if you all too had every test in the book, bloodwork and all to boot, and let me know if any of this sounds like you:

www.anxietycentre.com

Please, all of you check it out.

Also, the cause of my mind jolts/vibrations proved to be for me a reaction to the Serotonin in the SSRI's that I was given for my anxiety/panic disorder. Anti-Depressants can do a LOT to the mind, and I wish doctors wouldn't continue to prescribe it as a cure-all.

However, anxiety and panic attacks too can cause tingling, numbness, as well as all sorts of sensations. After I stopped the Zoloft, it just became part of my Panic Attacks, because your mind becomes TRAINED to reacting that way when a Panic Attack hits!!! The mind can do a LOT more than you think.

PLEASE check out that site all. I am hoping for some of you it will do you wonders and provide some relief.

~Crystal
I get the internal vibration too. All the sensory stuff and slowness and tightening feeling on the left side. Still no dx either. Chris
I agree with dragon.
I have alot of weird symptoms that have been diagnosed as generalized anxiety disorder(GAD).  Internal shaking, neck pain, lightheaded, muscle aches etc and I honestly dont' feel anxious other then I get really scared of my symptoms!  It is a hard cycle to break...  The more you freak out about the symptoms the worse they get!  Anxiety is horrible and can do many things to you.
I really hope that you all feel better soon!
I have the exact same thing, only in my left foot.  Sometimes I can feel it in my left thigh as well.  And when it happens, I can see my muscle (I think that's what it is) tensing up and then un-tensing.  It just started happening a week ago and I've been waiting for it to go away...but it just seems to be getting worse.  I'm only sixteen and to be honest, I find this whole thing very frightening.
I am so glad I found this thread.  I have been so scared and didn't know what was going on!  I had what I thought was a seizure in my sleep last Thursday night.  I had taken Ambien to sleep after a long night of studying for a final (I am in nursing school).  I have taken Ambien for years now with no side effects, and actually recently reduced the dosage to the lowest possible.  I was still having trouble sleeping even with the Ambien, tossing and turning, feeling jitterry and itchy, etc.   I remember suddenly waking up in the middle of the night and my whole body was shaking rhythmically like it was vibrating (from head to toe) and I couldn't make it stop.  I kept trying to say "Ben, I am having a seizure" to my husband, but I all I could get out was "B-bbbben".  It lasted for about 30 more seconds, and then I was able to talk and see just fine.  At that point my heart was racing faster than it ever has before, and I was scared to death.  I got my heart rate regulated and went back to sleep.  I went to my internal medicine doctor and she is running a bunch of labs, having a CAT scan done,and sending me to a neurologist for an EEG.  Then, last night, it happened again.  It was really late when I decided I needed to take an Ambien or I was not going to be able to sleep.  I have fibromyalgia and was having a lot of pain, restless legs, etc. that were keeping me from being able to sleep.  I wasn't actually fully asleep yet when it happened this time.  My eyes popped wide open and I started yelling to my husband that it was happening again.  This time I had no problem talking or seeing and the full on convulsions didn't actually happen.  I just had this feeling wash over me and I felt dread because I knew it was about to happen again.  It felt like I was vibrating from way deep inside and it wasn't quite making it to the surface yet.  I know that is weird, but it is the best way I can describe it.  My heart was racing again and it was over very quickly.  

I am 29 years old, and have been having major medical problems since I was about 21.  I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis for seven years until I went to another rheumatologist and he said it was severe fibromyalgia.  I also had every symptom of MS right after having both of my children.  Each time I had MRI's done and nothing but a couple of dots (he said maybe from migraines) were showing up on the films.  Then about a month later the symptoms would slowly start to go away.  My blood tests have shown a positive ANA, elevated lupus titer, elevated sed rate, and high rheumatoid factor since I was 21.  I am just really finding it hard to believe that this is just fibromyalgia.  I know there have to be more people out there as frustrated as me!

FYI:  My mother has fibromyalgia and what they think is CREST Schleroderma, her brother has Chiari malformation, and there is a lot of RA, lupus, etc. in her side of the family.
I just wanted to add to my original posting that I have also been having a lot of neck and back problems.  I thought maybe I have a herniated disc in my lower back.  It causes horrible sciatic pain all the way down to my right toe.  My neck grinds every time I turn my head at all.  I have also been having mild vertigo, and headaches that I associated with needing glasses.  I saw someone else mentioned the bone spurs.  I have bone spurs on my knee, fluid on my knee, torn cartilage (which is causing bone on bone grinding) in my knee, and a recent bone scan showed that I already have osteoarthritis in hands, feet, hips, knees, etc.  I have had a lot of muscle weakness, and an itching feeling all over my body.  Tired all of the time too, and very anxious.  Add all of this to the symptoms I originally posted about, and I am falling apart!  I am only 29 and should not be feeling like this.  It would be great to have a doctor post on here about some of these symptoms.  I see people talking a lot about chiari malformation, ms, lyme disease, etc.  Is there a link?
I started reading the comments at this thread because--as I searched on the left-hand side of the screen for the link to the thyroid disorders website--a sidebar on the right-hand side with the word "vibrating" caught my eye. It is the weirdest feeling in the world, isn't it? My first experience of feeling that I was vibrating all over (but far from my last) was last March. Then I began to feel unwell. I had a years-long history of strange symptoms, but I began to develop a few new one last summer along with losing my energy and feeling of well-being. The situation reached a low point at the end of July with a very odd episode that included nausea, which is a rare experience for me.

The vibrating, the nausea, and a long, long list of other symptoms were signs that my hypothyroidism was asserting its presence after years of causing weird symptoms (many of them seeming "neurological") in a very sneaky way. Note that I said hypo (under-active thyroid gland) not hyper. It was easy for several highly competent physicians to overlook the possibility of a thyroid problem because not being endocrinologists, they did not realize the extent to which the boundaries of "normal" for a thyroid stimulating hormone (or TSH) levels have been revised. The highest my TSH level has been is 4.11, but I was impressively unwell at that level. They also did not realize that hypothyroidism can cause paradoxical (or contradictory) symptoms.

Any of you who are vibrating or who are having odd symptoms with a neurological overtone: If the source has not been clearly identified, then you might want to consider a one-time visit to an endocrinologist.
P.S. Just so you know: There are MANY symptoms that we members of the thyroid disorders forum recognize as thyroid-related that are not on any of the "symptoms of thyroid problems" lists you can find. Vibrating is one I have seen mentioned over and over by forum members, and more than one member has had what seemed to be a neurological symptom be diagnosed as thyroid-related. Do not think that because your symptoms do not fit any description you have read of thyroid gland problems (or endocrine system problems of other sorts), you do not need to see an endocrinologist. Maybe your symptoms have nothing to do with your endocrine system...but maybe they do, and I would not trust anyone but an endocrinologist to make that judgment.
One more P.S. (with an apology for taking three tries to post one coherent message; hypothryoidism can make a person's thinking very foggy, and I am living proof!) Six years ago, after most of my long list of strange symptoms had developed, I was thoroughly assessed to rule out a neurological problem. I realized I should mention this so that no one will wonder if I am falsely blaming my thyroid gland for troubles that are really neurological. I had a good going-over, and my "wiring" checked out just fine.
Wow, I got this too!

Vibrating hand, though...it felt super wierd, and it felt weak too...

I also have had these wierd 5-15 second long feeling like blood rushing to my head...it is NOT normal....right?

It freaked me out, because that hand had just been X-Rayed...but this might be worse...
that's some weird stuff
I have experienced so much of what you all are describing.  I am a nurse and I have researched all of this for years.  I have tried numerous treatments for the vibrating/numbness/waking up with seizure like activity/poor sleep/bowel troubles/neck stiffness, pain, creeking and so on............

I have come to some conclusions and have made major changes in my life and thank the Lord God in heaven, I am better.  

I believe that Lyme plays a part.  Please have this checked by a real Lyme literate doc.  If it comes up negative, check it again more thoroughly.  I believe that other viruses and bacteria are involved as well.

My diet was horrible.  I took out gluten which really helped and now I am flour free.  I tried the BED on body ecology and that is helping alot.  Go to www.bodyecology.com.  I can not eat sugar.

Magnesium citrate helps my bowels to move and helps me sleep.  It helps my muscles as well.   I take Magnesium glycinate at times as well.  

I eat foods rich in potassium like spinach, swiss chard, brussel sprouts, broccoli, umpkin seeds and sunflower seeds (both raw) and so on.  I eat them daily and count my potassium content daily.  

I do trigger point work on myself as outlined in a book by Clair Davies.  My neck causes dizziness and off balance feelings.  

Sleep is a critical factor.  The less I get the worse I am.  You have to work on sleeping.  Magnesium helps me alot.  There is a magnesium called Natural Calm that might help.  I read the Bible before sleeping and I get on my knees and pray earnestly for the Lords help.  

I do take probiotics and make my own kefir.  I have had a diagnosis of Crohn's in the past but the symptoms of it are gone now.  I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia.  It is better.  The most disturbing symptoms that I have had and still do occasionally are the seizure like things at night just when I am falling asleep and I contribute those to my neck.  Also, the dizzy type feelings and thinking I might lose consciousness.   I have learned to pray to God in heaven in the name of His son, Jesus for help.  I know that whatever He has intended to happen is going to happen and I need to calm down and trust Him.   I read my Bible daily and intend to obey.  I am not perfect.   I am doing all I know to do and praying for God to continue to bless it.  I sure hope this helps someone.  
I am 52 years old and have been having seizures and nightime vibrating and bedwetting since I had pneumonia two years ago. The seizures are atypical and do not show up on the one EEG I have had. I have been told they are pseudo seizures by two doctors but they do not resemble any pseudo seizures I have ever read about. They do have the symptoms of frontal lobe seizures. The vibrating at night is intense and shakes the bed like a freight train coming. In fact it is so hard it feels like it is outside my body and it has only been recently that I realised it is me. My husband told me.I have hand tremors, migraines, fybromalgia and degenerative disc disease as well as hypothyroidism. I do not have the personality type for pyschogenic illnesses but feel I cannot go to a doctor as they will dismiss me based on what my last doctor said. I am worried about the vibration because it is disrupting sleep immensely. I have restless legs and body at night and lots of jerking during sleep as well as the vibration. My sister has lupus and my mom dies of scleraderma. I have discoid rashes but my tests for lupus are negative. I need help.
I have this buzzing or vibrating feeling going on too, but it's not in my head or neck or back...it's in my rectum.  Please don't laugh.  This is really bothering me and I wonder if I am alone with this. I haven't said anything to my doctor and I would think this is crazy if I were her.  It occurs quite frequently on a daily basis for the past two weeks.

michele
WOW!  I can't believe I found this thread.  I have an underactive thyroid and have been on thyroid hormone for about 6 months.  For the first 4 months, I was feeling fantastic - it felt so good to feel "normal" again.  Now for the past two months my symptoms (dry brittle hair, dry skin, extreme fatigue, brain fog, etc.) returned but my endochrinologist says my TSH is still "normal" and to keep on my current dose.  Two weeks ago I started taking a pill and a half (I'm on the lowest dose of 25 mcg and the next dose up is 50 mcg so I guess with a pill and a half I am at 37 1/2 mcg) and my thyroid symptoms are improving (my hair and skin is normal again and most days I have energy to get through the day).  BUT, last week I noticed that my cell phone (that I wear on my waist) kept going off (it was on vibrate) but whenever I reached for it, I realized the vibration was coming from inside my abdomen and not from my phone.  This happened to me while standing up (either walking or standing still).  It has not happened to me while lying down like a lot of the other posters.  I will mention it to my endochrinologist at my next appointment.  I am posting because some of you think a thyroid disorder may be involved and I have that and the vibration.
Hi fellow vibrators.  I, too, have just developed strange symptoms of a vibration down my left side and leg.  Mild muscle spasms in my legs.  Weird pins and needles feeling all over my body.  I also have trouble opening my eyes in the morning.  That's what seems to have been my first symptom.  Very scary.  I think I've been mildly depressed for a few months and last month was under a LOT of stress worrying about my eye symptoms and dealing with a business trip at the same time.  I actually shook two nights in a row for about 30 seconds from anxiety or something.  I was put on Lexapro for depression, xanax for anxiety and my opthamologist recommened Kava Kava for my eyes.  That cocktail of stuff solved the eye problem the next day!  But then got strange involuntary movements of fingers and feet and this electrical feeling (which I think I've had before since I remember actually unplugging my electric blanket one night thinking a current was coming thru it).  My dr. said to go off all meds.  I am now one week off everything and still have the electrical feeling and pins and needles feeling.  But mostly at night.  I don't really notice it a lot during the day.  But when I lay on the couch to watch TV the feeling starts up.  So strange.  Several others have mentioned this nightime occurence.  So I have an MRI scheduled for Wednesday and am quite scared about it all.  This thread was actually quite comforting to read.  I don't feel so alone anymore.

PS:  One thing that I've done recently is to stop ingesting Aspartame.  My hairdresser told me that her Restless Leg Syndrome went away when she stopped.  Her sister's too.  I drink diet pop, flavored water and sweetener in my coffee.  All have Aspartame.  So I've stopped cold turkey.  I figure it can't hurt.  I'm also going to look into the chance that this is thyroid related.  I feel my neck kind of hurting and burning by my adam's apple.  But my doctor said my blood test came back normal.  Any suggestions on whether I should pursue the thyroid angle further since the blood test was normal?  But I feel burning right where my thyroid is.  

Good luck to everyone!  We're not alone!  Big hug!
This is so interesting that I I have found this board!  I have just started to have symptoms as well as muscle stiffness ( almost a year)a little vertigo and minor vision change. My vibration feels like when I am holding on to a stick shift in idle, although no visible tremors..  I do not have arthritis (confirmed ) and tested negative for Lyme. (although my New England friends are skeptical). I'm going to a neurologist tomorrow and I am very scared, since I have a history of Parkinsons on my mother's side and watched my aunt turn into a vegetable.  All of the many posts are encouraging that I am not crazy, but not very many offer any diagnosis that has been confirmed by a doctor.I'd like to see more from all of you. Thanks and good luck!
Well just wanted to share with you my experience with hypothyroidism. At a time when I was off medications and the TSH had risen to 78 my digestion became very weak and also I had strange tremors in my hands like I never had apart from other symptoms like acute depression and weight gain. It was not vibrating but it was shaking for example while brushing my teeth and it was almost without any energy to move after a few strokes of brushing. It scared the **** out of me when it first happened. I got back to my hypothyroidism medication and I recovered quickly from all the crappy symptoms. Thank God !!!
I would urge you guys also to get your TSH, FRee T3 and Free T4 levels tested. Also dont go by the usual normal levels ..the standards have been revised. Do some google and you can find a lot of info on some other boards.
..
Hi all.  Just these past few days, I thought it was my cell phone vibrating my waist, hip and thigh area.  Instead it was the same sensation, without the phone!  Then last night the vibration sensation started soon as I lay down, and it's inside my right upper abdomen, lower chest area.  I got scared and thought it was actually a wheezing caused perhaps by pneumonia or something. It vibrates much like a cat purring, with each breath.  So I held my breath and found it happens every 5-10 seconds regardless of my breath and lasts about 3-5 seconds. Happily, it does not hurt, don't have abdominal discomfort, my lungs and chest all feel perfectly normal.  Except for the sensation of purring/vibrating like my cellphone INSIDE my upper right abdomen or lower right lung area.  What is it? Could it be intestinal bubbles and the rhythm caused by movement of intestines?  Help! It's scaring me.  BTW, I'm 48, female, in good health, take no medications, no other complaints.  Today, it has been happening most all day long and is happening now.  
My right thigh, on the right side, has had a vibrating sensation for about 3 weeks now. I describe it as like it feels like when your stomach growls when you are hungry. a vibrating sensation. It lasts for about 5-8 seconds, and happens every minute or so. It happens when I am am lying down, driving, walking, sitting...all of the time. Anyone else with this? It is starting to concern me. Thanks!

I haven't read all the postings but Jane's caught my attention.  I have had this vibration like feeling since I was 16 years old.  I am now 45.  It starts when I am almost falling asleep, but usually when I'm taking a nap, not going to bed for the night.  I would describe the feeling as having a jackhammer in my body with a loud buzzing sound in my head.  I have found that I can will myself out of this state by forcing my eyes open.  However, over the years I have let the feeling take over and have found it progresses to a feeling of slipping out of my body and travelling at tremendous speed.  Sometimes I travel up, sideways, straight out through my feet....etc.  I rarely get this sensation anymore, but I have gone a different direction with my research and have actually entertained the idea that I am leaving my body!  There are numerous books on this "feeling" a few by Robert A. Monroe "Journeys Out of The Body".  Let me say that this could be the case for some of you, especially if you can will yourself out of the feeling.  I hope you won't think I'm crazy, but after being alone with this for so many years, and finally finding a book that describes it to a "T", it seems like a very interesting and wonderful explanation.  
I just want to thank you for your PERFECT explanation of the vibrations in your head.. Now i have something to take to my doctor..for years I have been trying to come up with a way to explain my symtoms (symptoms).. I have been told they are hormonal surges / hormonal migrains due to stress.. I was getting them for the last 4 years at least exactly 5 days before my period.. I know this because I am very in tuned with my body.  I had an  MRI in 1999 for dizziness from stress and I figure Im not dead yet so It cant be anything serious and it must be hormonal since it happens around my period.  My doctor gave me xanax (zanax) and told me to take it for the 5 days before my period to relax my muscle and stress levels that may induce these surges/ vibrations in my head.. I didnt have an episode by doing this for the last 4 months.. .BUt this month I forgot cause i wasnt really stressed and the other day i had a huge fight iwth my husband on the cell phone on the way to school and I had my period. the fight was about 8:30 and while i was in englis class around 11:20 am I had the vibration in my head exactly as you described it.   I really think it is both stress and hormonal and neck.. I also remmeber going to the chiropractor at one point and it never happened..anyway, I just wanted to say thnks cause Im taking your explanation to my Dr. and Im going to get all the pertinent tests done to rule out tumors in the brain..sezisure (sp?) and anthing else and if it comes back fine.. I guess I will have to deal with this ****.. if you have any further advise can you please contact me at my email address.. at ***@**** have really been a great help to me.. YOu actually gave me some peace of mind.. WELL..untill the next episode..lol

THank you soooooooooo much

Tina
I'm a healthy person and I had done different checks because of these signs which I associated with kundalini. I still have these sensations or vibrations on spine and my sleep pattern is changed. Different people say different things on this but many people go through this.
For more information you can check out the signs here:
http://www.domin8rex.com/serpent/spirit/k.htm
http://www.kundalini-teacher.com/awakening/serpent.html
http://www.mudrashram.com/kundaliniemergencies.html
http://kundalini.se/eng/symptoms.html
http://www.visionandpsychosis.net/Schizophrenia_Cause.htm
http://www.kundalini-teacher.com/awakening/shamn.html
http://www.healingtaobritain.com/p67magazinequestforspiritualorgasm.htm
Yoga, meditation, stress or drugs can trigger the raise of kundalini, as i found out after I researched.
THis vibrations i can feel  in the night and I'm trying to make my sleep as before as I used to have a perfect sleep pattern which is now ruined, also the dreams are unusual, and there are some ESP dreams too.
IF you have a better answer I'm open.
Also, I do feel this throbbing in the spine. I think it's kundalini as this started after I met some people with knowledge of new age, that's how I got the idea, and than i saw the signs.
I also have had this vibrating, buzzing feeling.  After being treated for hypothyroidism, those sypmtoms almost went away.  I am not symptom free at all, but the vibrating feeling is gone and I had this feeling for over 2 years.  I was healthy until about 35, then the vibrating, buzzing feeling was one of my first symptoms along with fatigue.  Then I started having vertigo for about a year.  That is gone, but now I am left with disequalibrium and can't ride a bike, roller blade, etc.  I have no balance and sometimes run into walls.  I have headaches a lot and a general ill feeling.  I have abnormal blood tests that hint towards a connective tissue disease, but nothing specific.  So, all I can say about this vibrating, buzzing feeling (based on my experience) is that it may be the start of a disease process.  I'm not sure why doctor's like to ignore this symptom, however, I'm not sure if they are really ignoring it, because I have been tested for everything, but they just don't say anything specific about those symptoms.  
About a week and a half ago I was standing at the kitchen sink and noticed that the floor was vibrating! Some further dancing around proved that the floor was only vibrating under my left foot! I immediately went to sit down, and at intervals of about 1 minute (I've borrowed a stopwatch to time the intervals - will do this tonight), there is a pronounced vibrating or buzzing in the ball of my left foot for a steady 3-4 seconds. This no matter the position of my leg and foot or the time of the day. It is a steady occurrence.

There is no pain or weakness associated with this new little quirk. I tried to get my husband to put his hand on my foot to see if he could detect the vibration - but I could tell he was only humoring me and thought I was being "eccentric"....I'm southern and that is a euphemism for "crazy".

I haven't been to a doctor referencing this problem, as I don't go to doctors unless strapped to a stretcher.

I have no health problems, and take no drugs...I hate to even take an aspirin. I do smoke and drink coffee (lots).

I did have a problem about 6 months ago where my vision was blurred and I was dizzy
I am experiencing something very similar and honestly I am scared to death to find out what could be wrong with me.  About three weeks ago I started experiencing tingly sensations in my left leg and also feelings of a vibration running up and down the leg.  They would come and go and seem to be less frequent at night when I am sleeping.  So far it hasn't been painful just very concerning as this has never happened before.  After about a week the feelings started happening in my right leg as well.  I have also been very tired and saw my primary doctor.  All lab work has come back normal and after seeing a neurologist I am scheduled for an MRI.  I am so scared and would love to hear from anyone with similar problems and what their results were.
I am starting to think a lot of my problems with vibrating is stress/anxiety.  I notice it less and less lately as I try to de-stress my life.  I've cut out caffeine and severely restricted my sugar intake.  It is amazing to me how much of our health issues can be linked back to stress.  At least I'm starting to think that is the case for me.   I'm going to go to a neurologist next month just to set my mind at ease.  But I find that most of the time my regular doctor says my symptoms are stress related.  Kind of feel foolish then, but the worry of the symptoms takes over and I need answers from a doctor.  Good luck everyone.
3 years ago at age 46 I was diagnosed with mono and underactive thyroid at the same time. The Dr. said she was surprised I didn't crawl in to see her. To this day the constant fatigue has not gone away. I have some days better than others, but there have been only a handful of days when I felt normal. At the same time, my vision has decreased and started wearing reading glasses, (although this may be normal for my age and just a coincidence). 4 months ago my head started buzzing during my waking up stage of sleep. Very strange feeling because it is very rythmical. Long buzz of maybe 20 seconds and then it stops for a split second and then 20 more seconds...etc. Once I fully wake up it is not noticable, but I still feel like it is there because something has my brain functions are very groggy throughout the day. Having a hard time getting through work on many days. This symptom is vbery consistant. Mild excercise seems to help with the fatigue, but if I over exert myself it makes things much worse. Sleep is critical, yet I can sleep 10 hours without disruption and still wake up feeling fatigued and unrested. I drink one to two diet cokes a day and one to two decaf mocha's. I am going to stop both for a month and see what happens. Recently I have made a major effort to increase fruits and vegetables. I also started taking B vitamins and vitamin C.
I recently started going to a licensed massage therapist that is treating me with Cranial Sacral Massage. A very different and wonderful technique that helps my cronic (chronic) fatigue, groggy brain, vision and vibrating. Although it seems to only offer temporary relief at this point, she feels she can cure these symptoms given enough time. It has to do with facilitating the flow of spinal fluid throughout the body. Look it up and definately try it from a qualified therapist. I had an MRI of my brain and it was "normal". I am seeing a neurologist in a couple of weeks, but after reading these posts, I am not expecting any break through answers. My best to you all. I think I'll buzz off now. ~
I am a 36 yrs old male. I also have the vibrating in my head.  I had it happened to me 2-3 times now.  It always happens when I am sleeping and I always wake up from it.  I first thought it is an earthquake (I live in So. CA).  I can totally function but everything is shaking, especially in my head and eyes.  It usually last 20 secs or so.  I also experience veritgo 2-3 times when I am laying down.

After reading all these postings, I will a doctor appointment.  Thanks!  
The first time I felt the viberation in my whole body, I was sleeping on my couch.  My family was gone on a fishing trip and I was all alone.  I was awakened having the viberations. They were so strong I couldnt move any part of my body. I thought I was being possessed or something. I was terrified.  The viberation lasted I know 30 mins. It would start at my feet and quickly move all the way to my head. It does this over and over .  This has been going on for yrs.  I have had it to happen to me during the day doing my normal routine. I just have to sit down and wait for it to quit.  I have gotten to where it happens now during the night and I try to wake my husband to let him see if he notices anything, but i cant move or talk.  And now when it quits, Im so wore out I just fall back to sleep and so exhausted. When I wake back up, I have a little of memory it.  The weirdest thing is I can feel it comming on and cant control it .  I wish some Doctor had the answers to this weird happening. But for now I am so glad I found that I'm not alone. When in the past talking to co workers, family and friends no one else had this problem. And I to talked it with my Family Doctor. And he had never heard such. If anyone has had help controlling this by a doctor please email me. at ***@****
Hi Tinabina

I am glad you got my explanation, I wish the doctors would.  They just look at me and nod not so sympathetically.  Anyway what you say about your period cycle is very interesting so you have also given me cause for hope.  I was beginning to wonder if just before my period I was getting these head thingys.  In the last few years I have got a migraine the day before my period, like clockwork, it tells me what to expect.  But I wonder if this feeling is hormonal, or related to the migraine and the blood vessels in the head?  Very interesting indeed and something I will talk to my Doc about.  I will receive results of an MRI Brain scan tomorrow, don't expect it to shed any light because I have been waiting for these results for two months and my GP had to chase them up.  But whilst talking to my GP she said she didn't think it sounded like Vertigo, because I got some numbness in my mouth after a really bad head shake.  However I don't know if that was panic or not.   Not to be nosey but I wondered what age you are, because if these are hormonal episodes would it mean we are premenopause, I find this hard to believe as I am only 38, ( Okay only is too strong a word) but you know what I mean, I am not expecting menopause for another decade yet, my Mum was 51 when she started.

J
I get a sensation of vibrating in my inner hip area...so youre not alone...
Since last Saturday I've had a vibrating/buzzing in the ball of my right foot on a constant basis. It runs a bit slower than my actual heart rate, and is more pronounced when I'm sitting or laying down. When I'm walking around it's not as noticeable.

I see a rheumatologist on a regular basis for MCTD (mixed connective tissue disease) but this is a first and I doubt it has anything to do with the immune problem I have, but I will definitely be bringing it up to him in August.

It's driving my crazy, like my foot is purring! Once in a while I feel it in my calf or thigh but its origin is in the ball of the foot.

Hope you find a resolution - if so, please let us know. If I find out anything I'll post back here.

Blessings,
usamom
Okay for the past two and a half weeks I've been feeling really strange. I don't know if it's from stress or not seeing as I had diploma exams to write. I've been experiencing the same VIBRATING feelings in my head. It's exactly the same feeling  I feel when I'm sitting in a vibrating/massage chair... only on the right side of my head. ALSO, the inside of my left ear has been feeling really itchy/odd... and I've also been feeling more CAR SICK... the feeling I would get if I were reading a book on the bus... only I'm NOT READING, I'm just sitting.

Anyone have any advice?
I have also experienced this strange vibration in my left foot, primarily the heel. It used to pulse, now occurs only when I walk on it. (It sort of feels like a wet gym shoe). It has been happening for almost a year now. I also feel wobbly sometimes--like a drunk feeling--like I've had a few.

I'm a 47 yo male in perfect health, and it is not likely that I could have diabetes or stoke, or anything that could cause neuropathy. I saw a neurologist and he did the basic workup, including the vibration sensation test with the tuning fork. It is so ironic that the sensation of the tuning fork describes exactly the feeling I am getting in my left foot!

Apparently there is a growing chorus of people out there that are getting these sensations, but doctors still have no idea what causes this. I have decided to forgo all the EXPENSIVE tests, as my research has indicated that most people that get MRIs to attempt to diagnose this ailment come back negative almost 100% of the time.

Since this is not debilitating, I will play the fatalist for now and live my life as though normal until I can get some definitive answers.

This is so strange!!

I too have had the "cat purring in my chest" syndrome for a few years now. It drives me crazy, but at least I am feeling better after having read some of your posts and finding that many of you have had scans, only to find no serious underlying disease.

It is interesting that doctors seem to be hearing more about this recently.

Would any of you be interested in making a more concerted effort to organize ourselves, form a real group, maybe on yahoogroups, for example, (a place where we could post details about ourselves, which might actually lead to some conclusions, not just voice our symptoms).

That way we could find out, for example if this syndrome is concentrated in certain parts of the country, many different countries, etc. Mabye actually form a methodology for more scientifically tracking our lifestyles, and maybe figure out by ourselves, or in conjunction with some doctors, exactly what is going on here!

I belong to a (please don't roll your eyes) Feline Diabetes website and the work that these people have done is nothing short of miraculous. They have organized their data, have helpful documents posted to form a type of reference library, etc. If you would like to take a look, the website is www.felinediabetes.com .

If anyone out there is more computer literate than I and would like to undertake forming a group, www.yahoogroups.com is a great place to form a group.

I am eager to hear from you!    

karmenpost @ mchsi.com  (spaces left intentionaly, please delete spaces if you would like to email me directly)

~Karmen Post

A related discussion, Vibrating sensation throughout my body!?! was started.
A related discussion, My body use to vibrate from head to toe. was started.
This has bein goin on for awhile in other parts of body just started in the lower stomach area an its startin to kina bother me cause i dont no wat it could b just glad to no im not alone an people makin u feel crazy   
A related discussion, I am vibrating too was started.
A related discussion, Vibrating in my head and sometimes body was started.
A related discussion, vibration(purring cat feeling) was started.