Neurology Expert Forum
Feet Burning and Tingling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Feet Burning and Tingling

I am a 51 year old white male.  For the last 5 days or so my the balls of my feet have been burning and tingling.  My legs also feel week on occasion.  I take no medication and consider myself in decent physical shape.  Generally I walk on average 2 to 3 miles per day.  My height is 6'1" and my weight is approx. 220.  I do not smoke, but I do chew.
One week ago I experienced heart palpitations which turned into an irregular heartbeat.  This lasted for about 24 hours.  I had experienced a couple bouts with heart palpitations over the past 3 years, but they lasted only for an hour or so.  When I first had the palpitations, I had an EKG done and it was normal.   Since the last bout with with the palpitations and irregular heartbeat, I have discontinued the intake of caffeine.   So in the past week I have had no recurrence.
I am wondering if the feet and heart have a connection.  I, of course, am hoping that is not the case.
I am not a diabetic.  I checked my sugar yesterday on my mother's machine and the reading was 83.
I do have, and have had for years, a sore spot in the center of my lower back and have some minor tingling in my feet before, but none to this extent.  

Your professional opinion is sincerely appreciated.

Hi Steve12544,

Your symptoms of burning and tingling sensation in the balls of your feet are most likely from peripheral neuropathy.  Peripheral neuropathy is rather common.  It is nerve damage to nerves in your feet.  Most common causes of peripheral neuropathy are:  

1)  Diabetes
2)  Thyroid disease (Hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism)
3)  Nutritional:  Vitamin B12 deficiency most common; others are B6, folate, copper, B1, vitamin E
4)  Alcoholism

Laboratory testing for initial workup for peripheral neuropathy includes:

HbA1c (for diabetes), TSH, B12, WSR, CRP.  

Sensory deficits (numbness, burning, tingling) with weakness can also be due to polyradiculopathy.  Polyradiculopathy is problem with the lower spine (lumbar), most commonly from disc space narrowing or herniation causing nerve compression.  Sometimes, nerve entrapment can be at the hips or knees, causing similar symptoms.  I recommend you to see a neurologist to get a full neurological examination.  Depending on the findings, you may or may not need additional testing, such as EMG/NCV (electromyography, nerve conduction study) to evaluate the extent of nerve damage.  

Good luck.  Thanks for using MedHelp Forum.

THIS INFORMATION IS PROVIDED FOR GENERAL MEDICAL EDUCATION PURPOSE ONLY.  PLEASE CONTACT YOU PHYSICIAN FOR DIAGNOSTIC AND TREATMENT OPTIONS OF YOUR SPECIFIC MEDICAL CONDITIONS.
1 Comment
A related discussion, a short acting pain pill without tylenol was started.
A related discussion, Center of head has indentation and is sinking was started.