Neurology Expert Forum
Fetus with Brain Damage?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Fetus with Brain Damage?

I am 20 wks pregnant. At my last ultrasound (about 19 weeks) the doctors noticed that the ventricles in the baby's brain were enlarged. We are still waiting for the test results of my amnio and additional blood-work (to check for viruses)

My babys brain ventricle sizes are 9.2mm and 9.6 mm.also my babys kidneys slightly bigger as well.Both of them 6mm and i am so worried.is it possible to have brain damaged baby? i am only 26.please help me.

thanks for your assistance.
The enlarged ventricles are concerning, and need to be investigated. It sounds like your doctors are doing the right things with an amniocentesis and blood work. Things which can be evaluated include the babies chromosomes or genes, and at certain centers in the united states a MRI of the baby can be performed. My advice to you is to make sure that you are being evaluated by high risk OB's, perhaps seeing a perinatalogist (infant doctor), and geneticist or pediatric neurologist. As the pregnancy progresses other ultrasounds will need to be performed to monitor for any changes. I wish I could provide more specific information, but more investigations need to be performed. Good luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, 19 week scan of pregnancy was started.