NEUROLOGY
COMMUNITY
Fibroids cause sciatica symptoms?
by linzsoccer, Feb 02, 2009
Can uterine fibroids and/or ovarian cysts cause sciatica-like symptoms? I've had burning/stinging/stabbing pain in both glutes, hamstrings, calves and feet for 6 years. I've tried everything under the sun to get rid of the pain (long-term physical therapy, steroid injections into L4-L5 disc and piriformis muscle, yoga, deep tissue massage, rolfing, acupuncture, etc) but nothing has helped. I just found out that I have 2 golf ball size fibroids on the back of my retroverted uterus, (one on left side, one on right side), plus a large complex cyst on the left ovary. The pain has progressively gotten worse over time and I never have a pain-free day. Sitting is worst, followed by standing and lying flat on my back. Walking/jogging doesn't hurt.
Member Comments (2)
by Tig54, Feb 03, 2009
I had much smaller fibroids than what you mention, a complex cyst on the left too, and lived with the exact pain you describe (10 yrs) when various therapies offered no relief.  Once I hit menopause, the pain stopped -- progesterone cream helped.  I am now dealing with a whole other issue, but when I mentioned the return of this exact same leg pain following what neuro thinks might have been a form of stroke, my neuro said women often encounter left leg pain (and slight ankle swelling, etc) due to the position of the uterus affecting the nerves on that side.  Depending on your age, you may want to discuss this condition with a OB/GYN -- some women find relief after hysterectomies, but balanced hormones make a huge difference too (ask about a blood panel to check testosterone, progesterone, thyroid, and estrogen levels)  -- a better, less radical first approach in my opinion.
by cookie12482, Jul 20, 2012
i have a big fibriod that i have to have surgery for it and i been having really bad back pain for 2 days now and it goes into my hips legs and i am taking meds for it and hot showers and the pain is is still there can sombody please tell me how to get rid of it and is it caused by the fibriod.thank u in pain