Neurology Community
Fibromalgia \ Diabetic Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Fibromalgia \ Diabetic Pain

Hi I am a 51 year old female who has jad alot of pain from different sources for several years. I have had 2 back surgeries, I have a triple scolois (sp?), I have fibromalgia along with chronic fatique, , high blood pressure, and have diagnosied with type 2 diabeties for 3 months now. I also have 3 different sleep disorders -RLS, chronic insomina, and excessive daytime sleepiness.Of course I am taking meds for most of these conditions. Here's my question: I used to take neurotion for nerve pain before my back surgeries, and it really helped, I have been hearing alot about Lyrcia lately and I am wondering if any one has any ideas on which of the two would be better for the pain associated with fibro.? I wake up in the morning and it is all I can do to to get around for about the first hour.I am taking meds for hypothryodid, ulcers, aniexty (Xanax) depression (Cymbalta),high bp,addarall for daytime sleepiness,2 thyroid meds, prevacid,and OTC aleve, Omega 3 complex and flack seed oil in the AM, and then restorium for insomnia,vesacaire for uniary problems, miraplex for RLS,Junivia for diabetes in the PM. I have gained about 30 pounds in the last year and I can not get it off, and I am worried about gaing more from these two other meds. Sorry this is so long but any suggestions would be greatly appericated.
CMTrahan
Tags: diabetic
Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing all of these pain.  Lyrica is a relatively new drug that almost has the same indications as Neurontin.  This drug is also for the control of neuropathic type of pain and some physicians would usually prescribe this drug if neurontin fails, becomes inadequate, or experiences side effects.  Your gaining of pounds can be due to a persistent hypothyroid state, and your thyroid medications may not be enough.  I suggest you discuss with your doctors regarding the monitoring of your thyroid functions so that they can increase or adjust your medications accordingly.  Also inquire with them about Lyrica and if it can be a substitute for what you are presently taking.  

Regards and God bless...