Neurology Community
Finger Numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Finger Numbness

I have had mild to moderate pain with occasional swelling on the ulnar side of my left wrist off & on for about a year. It started off as a sharp, shooting pain and now is a chronic ache that is exacerbated by carrying heavy things. I am a college student and I have been lifting/carrying heavy bags with my left hand for a long time. I have seen an orthopedist and have an MRI scheduled to see exactly what is going on. For the last six days my middle fingertip on my left hand has been almost completely numb. It started feeling this way after a heavy plastic grocery bag was wrapped around that finger for a short time. I am wondering if the numbness may be related to what's causing the wrist pain. Also, will an MRI be able to show what is causing the finger numbness? Do people generally regain feeling after numbness caused by carpal tunnel syndrome or repetitive stress injury?
Avatar n tn
How are you feeling?
You are right in thinking that you might be having Carpel Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) and now since you are having pain and numbness in middle finger too, suggests that it is indeed due to CTS.
Yes your numbness is what causing wrist pain and you should be getting an MR study done which would identify soft tissue problem if any.
Peripheral nerve grows at the rate of 1mm/day if they are not been crushed or injured completely.
Keep me posted if you have any queries.
Bye.