Neurology Community
Finger numbness while sleeping

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Finger numbness while sleeping

I'm 59 in fairly good health but I know I have a mildly bulged disk (at the back of my neck) I don't know if there's any pinching but I do have slight discomfort during the day.  The problem occurs at night.  I wake after a few hours of sleep when one or both hands/fingers go to sleep and get numb and tingly.  I have to get up and walk around, lay down again and more often than not, wake again when either the other or same hand goes numb again.    

It has on a rare occasion happened, even if I'm in the yard using both hands, fishing.  I will be moving both then suddenly feel pins and needles in my fingertips.

HELP????
Generally radiculopathy affects one hand and depending on the disc involved only certain fingers. If you have a broadbased disc bulge both hands can be effected.Usually there is arm aching/pain anytime with radiculopathy. Carpal Tunnel also starts while sleeping and effects both hands-usually one more than the other.You would need EMG testing and an evaluation of your cervical MRI to see if that is the cause. Pinky finger doesn't go numb with either condition.
Is there anything to do(hot or cold packs) or take, (Ibuprofen or actemenophin) for temporary relief?  I can be assured that I will wake at least once a night with the numbness.  :(
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Cervical disc protrusion and Carpal tunnel syndrome are the causes of finger numbness. Since you already know that you have a bulged disc, please go for physiotherapy and/ decompression to get relief from the symptoms. Please go for MRI of the hands to check if you are also suffering from Carpal tunnel syndrome. Repetitive motion of the wrists most commonly leads to nerve compression at the wrist and hence the syndrome. Please consult a neurologist for confirmation of the diagnosis and treatment. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!
Thank you so much for the information !!

One last thing-for relief until I get through the medical process, would you suggest aspirin, tylenol or Ibuprofen?