Neurology Expert Forum
Finger pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Finger pain

For the last 5 weeks I have been suffering with pain in my left hand especially in the fingers. The pain in intermittent and the site of pain varies. At the same time I also had a numbness down the left hand side of the hand and into the little finger but this disappeared after 3 weeks. One week ago I started getting the same pains in my right hand and again the site of pain varies but is mainly in the fingers and at the finger tips. Use of the fingers in gripping can make the pain worse but not always. This week I have started getting similar pains in the toes on my right foot, again intermittent and the site varies.
I cannot make the pain happen by performing any specific function and I have not noticed any weakness in my hands in so much as I can perform normal tasks and have not been dropping things.
Physiotherapy on my back has located a tender region around the T2 and T3 positions but I remain unconvinced that this is the cause of the pain as it seems to feel more related to the use of the muscles especially in the hands. Worry about ALS is definitely an issue and your suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks
Dear MJD22:

Sorry that your having problems with your fingers and toes.  First, this is not ALS, not ALS as you do not have muscle weakness without any sensory changes.  T2 and T3 are low in the cord to be having symptoms in the finger tips.  I am not sure what might be causing your symptoms as the differential diagnosis (things that could cause your symptoms) is very large.  I would see a neurologist and get a good neurological exam and have some basic lab test performed.  From these the possibilities will be narrowed and further testing can be more directed.  I hope that things are benign.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD