Neurology Expert Forum
Finger shaking
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Finger shaking

I am a 29 year old female who is very scared.  I have always been completely healthy when about 2 months ago I started having what I would call tremors in my right hand.  I would notice it when I was using my hand, such as feeding my baby with a spoon. My hand would shake all the way to his mouth and back to the jar.  When the hand was resting the tremors would stop.  No sooner did my right hand feel much better when the same thing started happening in my left hand.  I saw my PCP who did a brief exam and a blood workup.  She said that everything, including my thyroid, was perfectly normal.  She started me on 25mg of Atenolol which has helped the tremors dramatically.  However, I still occasionally notice twitching in my fingers, mostly in my middle and ring finger of my left hand.  They seem to shake back and forth.  These two fingers are also somewhat achy in the joint area.  And while sometimes I think these 2 fingers seem slightly weaker, when I am busy I barely notice it at all, for example I am typing this without trouble. The only other complaint I have is that I have a sore spot in my neck almost at the base of my skull, again not always constant and/or noticable.

Should I see a neurologist?  My PCP didn't feel it was necessary at this time but I am so scared, I have 2 very young children who need me!

Does this sound like it could be the beginnings of MS or ALS?  Would any weakness be more pronounced?  Does that one blood test rule out any thyroid trouble (my son is 11 months old)?

Thanks in advance for any insight.