Fizzing sound in neck
Hi, for about a year now i have had this fizzing sound in my neck that occurs randomly, usually when i am just laying down. It doesnt occur when i am moving my head or anything, its usually just when i sitting still or laying down. It sounds like it is coming directly from the back of my neck and is starting to worry me. I also experience these weird pains in my head that come for about a second and then go and come back again every 10minutes or so. These pains are in 1 area in the back of my head in about a 1 square inch area.. Any ideas???
Hi, I've had this ever since I was a child.
It's random, and I notice it when I'm lying down.
To me, it sounds like a small stream of bubbles traveling up the spinal column in my neck.

In the several years that I've been frequenting health boards, I've seen other people with this symptom, although I've never seen an explanation.

Wishing you the best,
Carol
Hi carol, thanks for your input. I like how you explained the sound it makes, it describes it perfectly, and i wasnt too worried about it until the weird "headaches" started. I am hoping its nothing, ive done plenty of research on this myself and i couldnt really find an explanation for it as well. That is why i made a post here, hoping a doctor would read my post and give me some input.
It is so interesting to hear a "bizarre" symptom and have other people jump in to say they've experienced the same thing!  I haven't a clue what could be causing the sensation you are describing.  

I have a symptom that I have been telling neurologists about for more than twenty years.  It is actually my most disabling problem, and they just look at me like I grew a new head.  Finally, reading these forums I found someone complaining of the same thing (I think).  It was reassuring, but he didn't know what it was either.

You seem to be describing what is called "ice pick" headaches.  These are stabbing or piercing pains that usually happen in about the same spot and last only seconds, but can be frightfully painful.  They are benign.  But I should ask if the scalp on that one inch area is very painful and tender to the touch.  Hee's a link on Icepick Headaches:

http://headaches.about.com/od/otherheadpain/a/ice_picks.htm

Quix

Hello, I actually have the same problem except it seems like the traveling bubbles are in my brain. My family thinks I am crazy, but every now and then (more often here recently) I feel or hear these little bubbles in my brain??? So am I crazy or could there be something wrong?
I feel this too.  It's like a fizzing sensation in the middle of my brain, almost like the foam on top of soda.  Happens most often when I am waking up in the mornings.  I have miagraines often and wonder if it might be related some way.  I'm usually not having a headache during these sensations though.
i also have that fizzing in the back of my neck i get it when iam really hungry
I can't believe I found other people with this problem.  I have had this fizzing sound in the back of my neck for about a year.  It almost only happens when I am lying down.  I can also feel a very mild sensation when it happens, but this is difficult to describe.  It only lasts for about 5 to 10 seconds and then stops, and then it will happen again in maybe 15 minutes.  I have not had any headaches, but I have had a lot of upper back pain recently and I am worried that something is wrong.  
Wow, I thought I was the only one who experienced this. I'd try to tell other people or my neurologist about it, and they'd just look at me funny.

I've had the same fizzing sound which runs up the back of my spine right in the neck area.  It sounds (and feels) like tiny bubbles fizzing up through there.

I've had some other neurological problems going on similar to MS, and wasn't sure if the tiny bubbles were a new symptom or what.  I guess it's not, but I wish I know what it was and what caused it.  
It happens to me as well.  Only while I'm sleeping.  It's usually followed by hunger pains in my stomach.  It's the most annoying thing and completely interrupts my sleep.  Which is why I'm on the internet at 5am trying to figure out whats wrong with me.  

It has happened in the past, but has been more intense over the last few months.  Told my PCP (Primary Care Physician)  He didn't seem to concerned over it.  Plus I've had X-Rays of my spine (not for this reason), and they said everything looked fine.
Wow.  I have had this EXACT issue for about two years now.  I can't believe other people on here are experiencing this.  I am having neck pain also that is causing headaches...but this always occurs in the morning while lying in bed or just changing positions, etc.  It is exactly like a very muted soda fizzing traveling up my spine into my neck.  It even tapers off in volume like a soda would towards the end of the pressure realease.  It lasts for 5-10 seconds and then it may happen one or two more times, depending on how long I lie there.  I went to a neck surgeon and explained this to him and he looked at me as though I was on something.  To know others are experiencing this is very helpful, but where are the docs to help out?  I keep worrying it is something with my cerebrospinal fluid leaking out or something crazy...
Wow, I thought I was completely losing it.  I have heard and can actually feel little air bubbles running up my cervical spinal cord for the past 2 years or so.  For about a year and a half it was only when I lay down at night, but as of late, I can hear and feel it randomly during the day too.  I have a history of migraines and severe headaches and thought maybe they were connected, but that is not the case.  I have worked in the medical field for 11 years and have never heard of this symptom from patients.  I am actually embarrassed to talk to a doctor about this because I am afraid they will look at me like I am crazy.  Any suggestions?  Has anyone received any type of answer or suggested diagnosis for this?  Please help!
I too get the fizzing sensation in the back of the neck, its not very often but it has happened since I was a child, the reason i'm looking here is that yesterday I had the fizzing in the top of my scalp, not unpleasant or painful but weird! I was hoping to find an explaination. I have always suffered with my ears, a mouth breather since childhood, I think I should have had my adenoids (sp) out, after a cold I am usually left 'bunged up' and half deaf (like when your ears pop during a flight but dont pop back' So i've been no help to anyone one else, but so good to know I am not the only one with an effervesant noggin!
I have that fizz at the base of my skull too, I remember having it in my teen years but I never told anyone, I thought they'd think I was nuts. It's mostly when I lay down. The past week or so though it's every 5-10 minutes when I'm laying down and occasionally when I'm standing up. I also get migraines and have problems with my spine, degeneration and stenosis, recent spinal surgeries, MRIs and no mention of anything abnormal other than the spine, no mention by the docs to me about, hey have you had fizzy brain? I never said anything to them but was hoping with the MRI they might see something and finally explain what this is.
I wish someone would know. It was a little creepy in the beginning but it's happened for so long that when I go a day or so without it that is when I worry.
If anyone gets an answer please post. Thanks in advance!
i get this too..but have been diagnosed with ME so thought it was just part of the many weird and not very wonderful symptoms that it throws up
I have been fizzing in the back of my neck for 4 years now, this usually occurs when im hungry and comes along side a hunger growl. People dont understand what im talking about when i try and explain. ive just got used to it now but would love to know whats causing it

its like someone is opening a bottle of pop at the base of my skull where my neck is
I have had this sensation as well for my twenties and thirties (I am 30 now).  Like everyone else it ususally happens when I am laying down but not always.  Sometimes when I am upright it happens.  What I have noticed is that it seems to occur the most when my stomach growls.  

My theory, and this is just a wild guess, is that a gland that works with or in the stomach is in close proximity to the spine in some folks, and when it goes to work the sound of it releasing acids (or doing whatever it is doing) actually travels up the spinal cord by conduction and your ears pick it up when the sound gets closer to your inner ear - ie, the neck region.  What's weird is that the vibration / fizzing is so intense sometimes that it really does sound like my neck is the origin of the fizzing but since it happens almost everytime in tandem with a stomach growl, I have to like my theory.  

One time I got really worried about it and so I intentionally became hungry (as to elicit the stomach growling) and I laid in bed in silence to see if I could create the fizzing.  I indeed was able to replicate it by doing this and thus I have tied the two together in a cause/effect sense.

Please post more or let me know what you think about this in addition to your own observations.

Good health, everyone.
I think you may right that your spine is conducting the sound. Starting in my mid 20s a few times when near a fan or something clicking at a certain frequency, I could feel it resonating in the back of my neck. It's a strange feeling that I never told anyone about. I'm 31 now. I only started getting the fizzing in like the last 3 years but just Googled it today since it's happened alot in the last week but I have been hungry since haven't been eating much.
I call it rainstick noise. People look at me like I am crazy when I describe it, I am glad to see I am not alone, please post any new findings mine is in my neck
I have related this to hunger as well. Also I get it more so when stressed. It is like a rainstick noise, soda pop, or sand running down a tube in my neck. It happens most while lying down but now I hear when going down steps. Has anyone found a doc who understands what this is yet? My doc said try physical therapy has anyone tried this and does it work? On last thing my c7 neck vertabrae is slightly inflammed according to a  pt.  THANKS
Mine started about a year ago, and it happens mutliple times a day (mostly when I'm hungry)... I've talked to my doctor about it and he said that I may have to go see a gastro-intestinologist (sp).. but have yet to go. It's really hard to explain to anyone, and rather embarassing when in a quite room with others (like a meeting or whatever). It's definitly audible and others can hear it. Some people describe it as a clicking sound.. I hope somebody knows what this is and how to get it to go away.. I can't think of anything that changed a year ago that would cause this.

I do know, however, that I have diverticulosis or Diverticulitis, I forget.. (I found out when I was in high school and had a kidney stone-- 9 years ago). I don't know if this has anything to do with it.
Missy, I have the fizzy noise as well and have mentioned it to several doctors, a neurologist, a primary care doc and an ENT and none of them know what it is. I have also mentioned it to my physical therapist and he has never heard of it either. I get mine mostly when laying down. The way you describe it as a rain stick sound is exactly how mine sounds. I had been trying to pinpoint the best sound to describe it and rain stick is really accurate. I have had this for a few months now. It is simillar to the sound my stomach makes when hungry but I get the sensation in my neck when not hungry as well. I think they are just similar sounds but maybe not related.
I have had this for a few years and I even kinda liked the sensation running up my neck because usually that meant my neck didn't hurt at that time, it was never when I was hungry, but I do have allot of gastro porblems.  It was always when I was lying watching tv with my neck propped forward up on a pillow.  I do crack my neck and have tension all of the time, it seems that when this happens it is when I am relaxed and it makes me think it is pent up ...energry if you could call it that releasing finally.
I am so glad that I am not insane.  I have had this since I was kid, always when I first wake up, but now more recently I get it at random times during the day.  I have also noticed that when I walk I will hear it in time with the steps I take.  That kinda got me worried.  It does sound like gas fizzing though, so maybe the stomach explination is a good theory.  
Do any of you have an illness or disease that you know of that could be causing this? Perhaps we all have something in common. I've been experiencing this sensation off and on, usually at night for about a month now. I'd be interested to hear more from you all.
Wow, that's just wild. I had a lot of the fizzing last night and got up early to look it up online. I could never really even describe the sound so I was not expecting to find anything on the Internet about it. So I am now blown away by seeing that other people experience it as well.

For me it's like fizzing and bubbles being released in the base of my skull, in the neck somewhere. I can't really place how long I've had this, but it's been many years and I mostly don't pay attention to it. What I have noticed about it is that it always stops immediately if I move my head at all, just to start again if I am lying down. I get it while driving too, but I just move my head a little (like fixing a crick in my neck) and it's gone.

I'm not sure what to make of the hunger theory. I have never considered that connection. What makes it unlikely for me is that I tend to eat pretty late at night, so I shouldn't be getting hungry when I go to lie down. I wouldn't discount this possible connection, though. So far, for all I know, it's the only guess anyone's made - it doesn't seem like neurologists or GPs are really familiar with this "symptom" at all.

It is certainly possible that all of us have something in common, other than the fizzing sound, but in terms of medical problems. I myself have hypertension, sleep apnea, some mild back problems, migraines, and am battling with being overweight.

I am glad to see I am not alone with this weird sound in my head. I would not have even known how to try and describe it, should I ever have come up with the nerve to ask a physician about it.
I'M NOT INSANE!!! WOOHOO  i have had this since i was a teenager. usually comes when i'm really hungry and frankly i think it kinda tickles.  my husband and family thinks i'm insane. i had a friend listen to it in high school and she said it kinda sounded like a fly buzzing sound.  very strange.  i've had issues with my stomach for years but am in the process of figuring it out....i'll ask my doctor about the fizzy :) everyone else i know thinks i'm crazy why not LOL  
Wow, this is the first site I have seen where people know what I'm talking about. This usually happens to me at the end of the day when I'm relaxing on the couch. My girlfriend heard it once and asked me "what was that noise" I thought only I could hear it. It usually feels good to me. I have often thought it was associated with spinal fluid motion. I received the same look from my doctor as the rest of you. Like Zebolt I also have apnea and am mildly overweight.
It's so cool that other people experience this.  Anyone I try to tell looks at me weird.  I just tell them that when my stomach growls it feels and sounds like my spinal fluid gurgles in my neck.  Ive only noticed it when I get hungry, and I never get headaches or anything with it.  Therefore, I think it has something to do with being hungry.  But I can make the sound change if I move my neck around.  Kind of like it is spinal fluid and by moving my neck Im giving it other places to flow.  I would love to get a true explanation for what it is, but for now Ill take comfort in knowing that Im not alone.
I have had the same symptoms for about 9 months now!! I also describe it as a rainstick sound. My doctor had no idea what it is but did not seem concerned about it.
As far as medical issues, I am overweight by about 20 pounds and have migraines, reflux, and anxiety/depression.
To everyone: Please check http://***************/chiari-malformation.html for information about Chiari I Malformation and compare your symptoms - especially those of you with migraines and neurological symptoms! You might be amazed to find answers to questions your docs haven't answered thus far. I endured 25 years of being misdiagnosed and am still amazed by how many neurologists just shake their heads since they have not been educated about Chiari - and tell you your symptoms are all in your head. Well, DUH!  The Chiari Institute's site also provides some good info: http://www.northshorelij.com/12.cfm They are the leaders in the field with research and surgery. A mecca of sorts.

I had decompression surgery 5 years ago on 23 Sept. at Hershey Medical Center in Hershey PA and am doing well. I didn't have the "fizzies" before surgery, though others with Chiari have, but I've recently started to have them - usually at night. I'll give it a bit of time, but part of me wonders if I might not have a bit of CFS blockage again that is released (with fizz)  when I change head positon, or if the dural patch that was put in has a bit of a leak...it feel like the back of my throat is being sprayed but from the behind my throat. A very weird sensation, no?

Please email me directly if I can be of help, as I might not moniter this site much, okay?
Well it's nice to know that I am not alone.  I have been experiencing this "fizzy sound" for the past few weeks now.  It only happens when I am lying down, usually when I first wake-up in the morning and lasts for about 1-3 seconds.  Sometimes there will be several of these sounds shortly spaced apart.  I am 9mos pregnant and have "mild pre-eclampsia" (elevated blood pressure).  I was wondering if it could be related to the blood pressure.  I don't have any other symptoms (i.e. no headaches).  Has anyone ever had a Dr take this seriously?  I plan on seeing a Dr about this after I deliver my baby (any day now!).  

Wishing you all the best.  
SerenaGrace:
If you have pre-eclampsia, take supplemental magnesium to help lower your blood pressure, at least 400 mg. daily.
You can also eat raw almonds, as they are high in magnesium.

I also had pre-eclampsia, and nausea that was awful.  I found out many years later that low magnesium can cause morning sickness and pre-eclampsia.

Carol

I've just recently developed this, first noticed it around June of this year. I'm 36, white male, and have never experienced this before. It's exactly as others describe--usually experience the sensation after lying down to bed, both when first reclining then throughout the night. It rarely occurs when standing or sitting, but the times it does coincide with my stomach rumbling. I usually eat right before bed and haven't noticed much rumbling there, but it does occur without it in bed. No pain but it feels really strange.

My medical history is--gastroenteritis when about 15; removal of an enlarged but benign lymph node when about 26. A couple broken bones but no other stuff. History of insomnia, depression, and anxiety. Mild high blood pressure at times, other times it's normal. The only medication I'm on is Seroquel as a sleep aid, 50mg a night.

In about November of last year I had a kidney stone blasted through a catheterization. Around December of last year I began to gain weight, I'm 5'7" and was 150 for over a decade. Now I weigh 182, I guess gaining a few pounds a month, but have been steady at 182 for a couple months. I thought it was a side effect of Seroquel's increasing my appetite, but that it could also be a metabolic change, or some psych thing that made me eat more.

I'm really glad to see others have experienced this, and that you're still alive! I've been pretty concerned lately, and have wrapped my neck in a towel recently when sleeping to try to help. Not sure if it did.

Oh, one thing that might be a factor--I've been a very heavy soda pop drinker ever since I was in my teens, usually almost an entire 2-liter bottle a day. But I don't notice any acid reflux or stomach aches. Also, though this probably has nothing to do with it, about the same time the symptoms started I also began wearing contact lenses again. I've worn them for years off and on in the past but it's been a few years since this time. Can't remember if the symptoms occurred before or after I started these new lenses.

Hope someone finds a diagnosis! Wish you all the best and thanks for posting, glad there are others with this condition. Not that I wish it on y'all heh.

Wow! I too am amazed to see how many people experience exactly what I am experiencing!  I hear the same "rain stick" sound at the base of my skull.  I hear it at night when I go to bed or when I wake up.  It has made me not want to go to sleep.  I even heard it when I was just reading a book in bed.  I had a CT scan which came out normal.  I thought of asking for the kind with the dye because I had the kind without.  I don't care if my doctor thinks I'm crazy I know it's real and I plan to get more follow up appointments.  I've only had it for one month but it has me scared.  I'm glad to see some people have had it for a long time.  I am 41 years old.  I am a little overweight.  I never drink soda and I've never wore contacts.  I stopped drinking alcohol hoping that would help, but it didn't.  I rarely get head aches, but like one person said sometimes I feel the bubbles somewhere else in my skull.  I did get acid reflux for the first time ever recently so maybe they are connected, but who knows.  I recently can hear a grinding sound when I turn my head too so I thought it could be linked to neck aging.  But like people described it's like bublles rushing up the back of the skull for a few seconds without pain.
Wow, I'm so glad that I came accross this thread. I've had these same symptoms for the past 7 years. I've been to countless dr's and had one GP diagnose it as MS which thankfully a Neuroligist said was a misdiagnosis. I've had an MRI, CT scans and had my hearing testing. After approx my 5th 2nd opinion I was told that some people can hear the fluid in their spinal colum and she thought that was what I had but I could never understand why if that was the case it started all of a sudden when I was 23 and hadn't been there all along. It's a strange sound and I have been describing it as similar to when you open a soft drink can too, so it's great to see that others are also describing it that way. People look at you like your crazy so I'm so grateful to find out that I am not alone. Alaura, for the past 3 years I have also had the sound sort of like clicking in time with my walking. It started when I was pregnant so I put it down to the weight gain. I've since seen a chiropractor and had xrays of my neck and back and nothing showed up as abnormal. It's really annoying and leaves me with a sick feeling in my stomach. Not because of the sound I can hear but because I've never been able to get a correct diagnosis or even one where the dr was 50% sure that they were correct so it's more from the not knowing and worrying that something could be wrong that the dr's have missed. It's great to meet you all though as now I don't feel so alone and like a crazy person, lol.
Yep me too. ive had it since i was a kid.

Thanks, its good to know that im not the only one. i thought it was some kind of short circut! lets hope its just related to the hunger!

Does anyone else also getting a twitching of their upper eye lid? wasn't sure whether it could be related to the fizzy sound.
Wow - I cannot believe there are so many people with this symptom! I've had this sensation my entire life - as others said - usually when I'm at rest, not doing anything to provoke it. I've told numerous doctors about it and they looked at me like I was insane.

I always said, it sounds like someone opens a can of pop in the back of my head. I have always been so worried that it was the bone deteriorating and I was hearing it happen!! Talk about making you nuts.

I wish there was some explanation for it. I always thought I was alone with my symptom, but with so many people having it, you'd think someone would know what causes it!

Thanks for sharing everyone - I don't feel so crazy now.
Wow - your response shocked me. I've been having this fizzing sound my whole life, and guess what? I'm to undergo a CT scan next week to check for Arnold Chiari Malformation. And, I didn't even mention this symptom to my doctor, but he's pretty convinced this is what I'm suffering from due to all my other symptoms. It wasn't until I started learning about ACM that I thought I should look into the fizzing noise. It makes a lot sense now that I know about this disorder.

Just last night I had the "fizzing/bubbling" sound that started at my neck and travel up the base of my skull. The sound lasted for about 5 seconds. This inavitably triggered high blood pressure and a panic attack 20 minutes after. Knowing this I immediately took aspirin as blood thinner and subsequently my vitals were normal again. This happened to me before perhaps having such an episode 3-5 times a year, but it never triggered high blood pressure. I am worried it could lead to a stroke so now I will be watching what I eat and exercising more frequently. I am still searching for answers as to what might be causing this but am glad to have found this forum.
This sound is Cerebral Spinal Fluid moving through the channel at the base of the skull.  I have it, too, and my pmcp told me that's what it is.
Yes, I too have occasional twitching of my upper eyelid.  Other issues I have are tinnitis and migraines. I hear a "crunching" noise when I turn my head from side to side.  If I put my hand on the back of my neck and turn my head I can't hear it.
I also have been experiencing this fizzing sensation in my neck and head, and it mostly concides with hunger and happens after my stomach growls.  I have also had a twitching in my left eyelid.  My wife has also had this for many years.  I am amazed at how many people have posted comments with the identical symptoms - I thought I was losing my mind.  I wonder if a visit to a chiropracter would help.  Has anyone had any back pain/discomfort when this happens? Perhaps something in the back is out and needs an adjustment.
I hear that odd fizzing sound in my head when my stomach is where I feel it.  It seems as though it happens when I am hungry.  Maybe it is because the blood sugar has dropped too low.  I have no idea!  I sometimes feel like I have motion sickness at the same time.  Like if I move around too much I will hurl ( I never do though).  Seems like it goes away if I eat protein.  I am just worried something will occur while I am driving.  Is this hypoglycemia?  I have no idea.  I just want it to stop.  
Have had the fizzing as long as I can remember! My sister does too. So cool to find that we are not bonkers!

Penn
I have had this for many years.  I had never discussed it with anyone but happened to mention it to my wife last night.  She wants me to call her over to listen to my neck next time it happens.  It always happens when I am hungry and stomach is growling.  Not together with the growling at the same second but during the same period of time.  It's only at the point where the skull seems to attach to the spine.  It sounds like something is fizziling its way upward.  I have never had any pain or discomfort associated with it.  Just odd that it sounds so loud to me but not to others.  I too am a little relieved to know I am not alone with this thought.  I too have had my Doctor look at me like I was nuts when I mentioned it.  I've never really brought it up since then, to anyone.  Has anyone ever had pain associated with the sound?  I haven't.
I'va had no pain. Mine doesn't go with hunger either, though a lot of people above said theirs does. Very wierd!
I have the same thing.  It started about a year and a half ago, just a few months after finding a lesion on my brain -I have no idea if this is connected.  The several doctors, neurologist and neurosurgeon that I've been to have yet to give me a decisive diagnosis.  We do know that it is not a tumor, not lupus or ms (thank God), otherwise I'm a mystery, it seems.

I've tried to mention the fizzling sensation/sound at the base of my skull in the back of my neck to every doctor that I've been to.  I've described it as feeling like hundreds of tiny bubbles rising up in a straw..  It's only ever happened while lying down and is usually followed by a feeling of hunger, or emptiness in my stomach.  It is painless, but disconcerting nonetheless.

I've had it happen one time with great intensity compared to the 'normal fizzing'.  The sound and the feeling was amplified and lasted for about 10 seconds rather than the normal 1-3 seconds.  It scared me half to death.  The circumstance was very different though:  I was having an MRI done with contrast.  The intense fizzing occurred when the dye was injected, through an IV in my arm.  So... it's possible that is has to do with blood flow?  Or maybe the injected dye altered Intracranial pressure?

I know that a lot of you wonder what your doctor will think of you when you mention this too him/her.  I'll admit to feeling like an idiot a few times, in fact one of my neurologist (after giving me a bizarre look) told me "Let's just deal with this (lesion) and not go looking for other problems."  He then ushered me out of his office. Gah!  He obviously thought I was making it up or just wasting his time. lol  But... not every doctor you mention this too will look at you like you're crazy, (and so what if they do?!)  Just mention it to every doctor/specialist you see, maybe one of them will have heard about it before, or will know a colleague that has.  The only way to nail this down is to ask.  For all we know it may be symptom of something more serious.

Oh, and if any of you do find out anything please post it here.  Don't forget about the rest of us still searching for an answer!

Also, it might be a good idea for us to list other medical problems, routines, medications, anything that may have triggered the onset or our 'fizzing' or that it could be a side effect of.  There must be something in common.

Personal info:
Female, 29 years
I use the computer daily, for many hours.
I was a smoker, but quit about a year ago.
High level of stress (mother-in-law / husband) for several years
Not overweight at onset of 'fizzing' though I've put on a few pounds since I quit smoking.
Never used drugs
Rarely ever drink alcohol

Medical History / operations / procedures:
Tonsils removed at 17 years
Dental Problems
Lesion found on right parietal lobe at 27 years
Lumbar puncture
MRIs with and without contrast

Medications:
Aspirin 325mg / day (just in case lesion is result of minor stroke)
Keppra 500mg x2 /day (in case of seizures from lesion)
The wonders of google!!  I had the same fizzing sound every so often (when I'm laying down) I just decided to google it and lo and behold...I didnt tell anyone about it either for fear they'll think im nuts :) I was a bit worried glad it seems like it's not a real problem.

About me: I'm female, 19, no medical problems or past history
this has been driving me wacked...ive noticed it for about 6 months,fizzing in my throat..only when i wake up in the morning
im a 35 yr old female...drinks beer daily and smokes...bad habits yeah i know...but i have been told in the past that i have acid reflex...havent noticed that for awhile...but i do notice the fizzing...and yeah i do think about food when i first wake up...so im hungry also...and to add with it ...i do know the sharp pain  in the head that last for a few seconds....any docters out there willing to take a stab at the symptoms?
Yea, I'm only 19, and Ive had this "noisy problem for about a year. It started at the base of my neck( the bone that sticks out the furthest on your neck) and since I have graduated it has moved to the base of my skull.  I too hear it in the morning mostly, when i wake up, and i too have the stomach growl sometimes before and sometimes after the sensation.  It doesn't pain me or anything, and everything seems to function well. I've been told by a few sources that it is do to a major amount of stress.  although it IS annoying because you don't know what it is, but has anyone ever felt the sensation itself to be kind of relieving?  going back to the part about a lot of stress, I became depressed right after high school because I was out of my NORMAL routine.  Because before i graduated I had the same routine since I was a child.  seems to me, that if everyone that is experiencing the sensation has a load of stress, anxiety, depression, etc. then that might be the source.  THE STOMACH GROWLING MAY BE AN UPSET STOMACH DUE TO STRESS, THUS TRIGGERING THE SENSATION.  last time i went to the doctor, I got in debt 500 $ to find out the doctors had no clue what i was talking about. sounds to me like its a stress related sensation. ; ) cheers.  P.S. The more I ignore it, the less I actually feel the sensation, but I do have to admit sometimes the fizzing feels quite good.
Yay!  I'm not crazy! I have the exact same symptoms that most of you describe.  I love the rain stick description!  I also have never told anyone about it out of fear that they'll think I'm being a hypochondriac.  This has been going on for about a year and a half.  Always in the morning and usually when my stomach growls.  I had been thinking that it could have to do with the fact that I take pre-natal vitamins before I go to bed.  They kinda upset my stomach so, maybe there is something to the two symptoms going together.  Anyway, hopefully we'll get some answers!
What a relief to see so many others experiencing this.  I have the fizzies, too.  They generally happen when I'm hungry, and I notice them in the back of my neck/head.  I've recently noticed a bit of reflux.  The fizzing also seems to go in tandem with that.  But most of time with hunger, and often in the morning.  I mentioned this to my cousin and she has it too.  I had an x-ray recently and am missing the natural curve of my neck (probably from computer use).  Outside of that, no known problems.  Cheers all and good health!
...more than cool!  
That's for me and not for those of you, who suffer from many of the med issues.
Here's my attempt at brevity.  Using same format as SilverFoxx.

Personal info:
* Female, 35 - Happily married
* Computer use all day, almost every day
* Light smoker (5 -6 cigs/day)
* High stress level, due to OCD personality
* Only been overweight for about 10 years and am currently about 28 pounds over.
* No history of drug use
* Abused alcohol in college, but rarely drink, now
* Follow very classic "Migraine diet" avoiding chocolate, red wine, nuts, aged cheeses and MSG

Medical History
* Migraineur (Acute & Intractable)
* PCOS (insulin resistant, and my sugar tends to be low)
* Endometriosis
* TMJ
* OCD
Operations/procedures
* IV DHE 2007
* Ovariohysterectomy 2006
* Cholecystectomy 2004
* Laser lap for endo 1993, 1995
* Removal of peri-urethral cyst 1991
* Removal of adnoids (approx.) 1976
+ MRI found no abnormality

Medications:
* Metformin 2000 mg a.m.
* Cymbalta 60 mg a.m.
* Neurontin 600 mg a.m. and 900 mg p.m.
* Nexium p.m.
* Vivelle dot patch

Searched for "fizzing in back of head," because my Migraine is ruining my life.

I have this too.  It is a sensation that feels good -- so I never attributed it to a problem.  I thought it was normal -- but when I explained it to my girlfriend she thought I was nuts.  So I looked it up.

My concern was this was the sound of blood travelling to my head.  In which case the artery is constricted the flow, causing backup -- and the 'fizzing' sound comes when the pressure build enough to push the blood through.

Does anyone share this concern?
Sometimes this caould also be the CSF fluid moving ....if u only have the sounds and no other symptoms, u may want to tell ur PC and just wait...however if u r experiencing ne thing else...call ur dr and ask for testing.

if u don't get more responces try starting a new thread.

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
I've had this same "fizzy" sound everyone keeps describing in the base of my skull, like where my spine meets it, for about 2 years and I'm tired of everyone (mainly my family) thinking I'm frikking crazy when I try to describe it to them. I do not get headaches because of this and the only time it seems to happen is when I smoke a joint and get the munchies and my stomach seems to growl every time right before the "fizzing" begins, yeh yeh I know, but seriously.

The "fizzing" usually only last for about a second or two but it usually does this multiple times with maybe 30 seconds to a minute in between. As soon as I eat something it seems to stop until the next time I get hungry and my stomach growls. F*cking weird, at least now I know that I'm not the only one.
I have felt this same thing only mine is in my head, sometimes at the front of my brain sometimes in the back. I started asking friends if they ever experinced Fizzing in their heads and they all thought I was crazy. My boyfriend was lying beside me this weekend and the "Fizzing" happened, he gave me a strange look and I asked if he heard it, he did! Now he knows I'm not crazy. I wouldn't mind it but I hate the feeling, I can feel the "bubbles" in my head when it happens. It does tend to happen when I am hungry so I guess to avoid it I should just stay full. O well, if anyone every figures it out let us all know. I can't believe nobody is doing medical research on this.
I've being having this fizzy sound in my next for as long as I can remember...that's almost 24 years! I just got another fizzy sound again so i decided to check google and that led me here.

I still haven't found any answer to this "problem". I thought that searching google will finally put my mind at rest but since I still ahve no answers...I just can't get it off my mind! And I've never told anyone. I don't want them t think i'm mad you see...

I used to think it happened only when i place my head in an uncomfortable position for long. Just like when you lie on your arm for too long and get the weird sensation later. But that isn't the case, even when I'm totally relaxed the sound comes.

All I want is an answer...any answer. Okay not just any answer...I don't want to be dieing slowly or something.
I have has this happening to me for about 5 years right after my wife had our first kid. I too can get this *Fizzing* feeling coming up my neck, and i also feel upset stomach. maybe it the foods we are eating, could be late night eating i know i like to eat a snack before hitting the sack. I'm as puzzled as all of you and would like to figure out just what this is. i do know i could eat better I'm not over weight or anything and i try to keep fit but i only eat once a day and maybe that is what is triggering it with me, *not to mention it only happens in the morning, and am up for around 45 mins.
Well I cant believe so many people are having this experience and no doctors really know what it is. My clicking, fizzing, rainstick sounds in the back of my neck started when I was pregnant, about 2 years ago.  They happen while lying down for about 2-3 seconds. But no connection with the hunger or stomach growling, well good luck to us in finding something out about it-Thanks
Well,I have experienced this fizzing sensation and fluid sensation in my head/neck for as long as I can remember.I remember telling my family about the 'Fizzing in my head' when I was about 8 yrs old.My Mum and Dad just thought I was using a funny word for a headache and they laughed! I just accepted this as being natural I suppose but have become more curious as to what it could be as I have got older (I'm now 25)

Just two days ago I found this site and was shocked to hear that so many people are experiencing exactly the same thing and because nobody has found out exactly what is causing this it led me to research this further.I read some of the comments and I notice that one lady has a neck allignment problem and there were also some other comments such as sleep apnea and breathing through the mouth which made me think.

I tend to breath through my mouth and I have been having some strange symptoms for about a year now with my breathing/throat which I haven't been able to find any information on.The problem is that it is extremely painful and frightening to yawn.My chest and throat seems to tighten right up and make it agony for me when I do,I make a very loud gasping noise and feel like something is going to happen to my lungs (sounds silly I know) It really is very scary.I cant talk for a few minutes after as I have terrible pain and throbbing in my throat.It hurts so bad to take a deep breath also.

I met my Partner 4 years ago and he said that since he has met me he has noticed that my breathing is strange when I'm asleep and he also said that he is sure there is something wrong with my spine.I seem to have a hump at the back of my neck and no natural curve there and my ears do not seem to be in line with my shoulders.When he mentioned this I new exactly what he was talking about as I have always thought my neck/head looked slightly strange/forward from the side but never really thought anything of it.My partner has Scoliosis so he knows quite a lot about the spine.

I never put any of my symtoms together untill now but my research led me to think that some of us may have something which is called Forward head posture.

Forward head posture (curvuture of the spine) it means exactly what it says and it can cause many symptoms.Some are ..... Migraines which I personaly never really experienced up untill 2 years ago and now I get them pretty often,Sleep apnea if you read about it you will understand why,burning pain at the top of your back,chest tightness,jaw pain,neck and back pain and many other symptoms.I have experienced everything they talk about and many other things which could quite probably be linked to this problem and I am quite sure this Fizzy thing could be linked also.I wonder if the stomach is causing this noise (I do drink a lot of Coke,like someone else mentioned but I haven't noticed this sensation when I'm hungry) and maybe if we have a problem with our spine that is somewhat causing us to hear these noises(Someone send something like this before)

I really don't know what is causing this but it's clear that not everyone is getting it but forward head posture is becoming quite common and I am pretty sure this is what I have so much so that I have made an appointment with my doctor to get my spine looked at which my Partner has been telling me to do for sometime now.

I really urge everyone to take an hour and look up about Forward head posture,it may not be the answer for all or any but I really hope so.

I have also put on a great amount of weight in the last 3 years which is quite strange as I have never been overweight and suffer from severe deppresion (which is another syptom) and Agaraphobia.I also have very large breasts and this could be another reason for spinal problems.

Please carry on sending comments as maybe we can help one-another understand what is causing these fizzies.

With best wishes
Emma
Hi Folks, well im another one you can add to your list.  The sensation for me is like listening to a can of Cola after you have had it open for about 20 mins.. bubbles!

I have had this for around 1-2 years and maybe only get symptoms once a month, recently i have been getting 5 or 6 a day..?  This could be stress related as ive had a very tough week..

Unfortunately with me, i get a pain when it happens.. which *****.

I get it in the base of skull, bottom right corner above neck behind and down from right ear.

I am booking into the doctor and will let you know what they say (if anything).

Like the majority of you, everyone thought i was mad when i tried to tell them.  

Perhaps it might be worthwhile to get an MRI, US or CT to see if there is anything going on inside my noggin.

Alan M (30)
UK
I've always had a weird sensation too - mostly happens when lying down (especially so when my head's turned to the side), but also occasionally when standing.  Though I wouldn't refer to mine as a 'fizz' -

Right at the base of the skull/ beginning of the spine, I get a weird crunching noise & sensation, followed by a very weird gurgle then a big swoosh (of what seems like fluid).  The only thing I can think of, is that it's most likely CSF (cerebral spinal fluid).  Logically speaking, it seems as though maybe it's getting kind of backed up (possibly from the position I'm in - maybe the cervical vertebrae is pinching off the pathway for which it normally flows *hence the crunching'?, the gurgle/bubbling may be the CSF backing up, then once the pathway is unblocked again, that backup of CSF rushes up it's normal pathway?

I, too, have asked several doctors, only to get a baffled look b/c they have no idea of what I'm talking about (aggrevating).

Though I'm no expert on Chiari Malformation, I would only imagine this would be a common occurence for them - ???  

I, myself has EDS (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome) very severely, so I always have a huge problem w/ joints that sublux & dislocate, including my spine - which is rapidly degenerating (& have a host of literally crippling injuries)  Chiari is common in EDS also, but I don't believe that I have it.

Whatever the case may be, I believe this may be the most logical explanation for the fizzing, bubbling, gurgle sensation that (I can't believe) so many people also experience.  In which case, your stomach pangs would have absolutely nothing to do with it as well (and probably wouldn't mention to a doctor if you want to be taken truly seriously by them - no offense).  

If anyone knows a Spinal Neurologist/ Surgeon, I'd give it a go to ask about the possibility.  Though I would definitely use more technical medical terminology to describe it all   :-)    at least to come across as more sincere about the whole matter.  

For what it's worth, it is a very weird sensation to say the least.  For you of those that get accompanying headaches, you might want to take a look doing a search on Google for CSF leaks, sinuses, etc.   If the symptoms sound a bit too familiar, you may want to go see a specialist (not a regular old general practioner) to be on the safe side.

Gurgling sound stopped! Now Painful headaches wake me at night. They last about 5 minutes, after i move my head around, they go away. My eyes even feel like they are bulging out. anyone else have this?
Thanks K
I am a 23 yr. old white female, and I have had this same annoying symptom for as far back as I can remember. My medical history is: Kawaski Syndrome, Depression, Anxiety, had some surgeries, etc. I am also a heavy soda drinker myself. For awhile this always made me wonder then tonight when I was laying down with my baby boy to get him to sleep it happend again, and its brought me here at 530am.  I would love to know what in the world this is, what causes it, etc! I used to think I was just going nuts myself, but looked it up, well looked up the fizzing noise (which btw I am hungry) cause thats what I have, in my neck, and it lead me here, and to read that so many other people have had this, makes me feel relieved but also irrated, doctors should now be well aware of what causes this, as so many of us have it... There is something, someone, somewhere should know about this, like I said especially with so many of us having the same symptoms. Atleast we all know that its nothing life threatening cause most of us have had it for years! Good luck and hopefully someone will find out something about it. I will be doing more research and if I find anything out, I will for sure give you all the heads up!
I have also had the fizzing in the base of my skull.I hear the noise and it feels like somthing is moving upward into my brain.
    When it started, it seemed to move in a straight path from the middle of the neck up to the base of my skull. At some point I noticed that it seemed to be getting longer and branching out. I know I was young when it started. Probably between 12-14 and at the time I had also begun experiencing other nuerological problems.
    I never told any doctors about the noise. At the time it didn't happen very frequently. Around the same time in my life,I started expeiriencing visual migraines. I also started having really unusual dreams and panic attacks.
    The year I turned 16 things got really bad for two months or so. I passed out three times. I don't know how long I was unconsious the first time but the two times after that I fell but did not lose consiousness. After that, I experienced what seemed like a stroke. The right side of my face went numb and my arm and the leg soon became numb as well. I thought it might be low blood suger so I got some food but I couldn't even tell if my mouth was closed while I was chewing and my speech began to slurr. When my family finally took me to the hospital the symptoms had already faded so the doctors didn't belive me. Another doctor said that it is perfectly normal for teenage girls to pass out. I still do not fell sensations especially hot or cold quite as well in my right side and I still get numb spells though not as bad.
      I began having balance problems as well. Some sicknesses mention a drunken gait, I think that describes it well(though I do not drink so I have nothing to compare it to). I think my balance is slowly getting worse. Sometimes I just almost fall over for no reason and I also almost run into edges of doorways or corners of walls. I sometimes can't walk in a strait line unless I really concentrate. I also get confused at times. I suspected MS but I am afraid to ask doctors because I have told them of other problems and they always think I am crazy.
      On a side note,may be completely unrealated, I think I have what is known as reynauds syndrom, it can indicate other things but inorder to get a diagnosis the attack has to occur in front of a doctor. Reynuads is when the capillaries in your digits(fingers and toes) spasm causing the circulation to cut off. Your fingers or toes will get white blotches on them or turn blue or purple. It happens when you are cold or nervous and will only go awy once you warm the effected area. The affected area also turns numb.I have poor circulation so some of these things may not be related to the fizzing sound.
        I don't hear the sound when I am hungry but I have heard and felt it twice while writing this. It happens to me quite frequently now.

I don't know if all of these problems are conected, but I thought I would write them any way just in case any one else has the same symptoms.
I am on 3 years now, my neck feels like a bag of chips,i get a crackling,swishing,rushing sound back of neck when i walk and sleep, it's like a gush of fluid mid neck to base of skull last about 3-5 seconds and returns every 5 minutes or less no pain just drives me nuts.I went to a gasto and he pilled me up with the max dose of nexium also had 2 scopes done and a 24 hr ph test nothing found saw an ent no hearing problem.I threw out my back for 2yrs but everithing good now    related? I was healthy never saw a doctor before36,now 40 yrs old i wonder how long this will last . Let's keep working on this to find a solution, alot of doctors just love to hand out candy and send us on our way  not fun at all  good luck everyone
I have the same "rainstick" sound occasionally, too, for as long as I can remember. It only lasts a few seconds, is usually when I'm lying down, and is not painful. I'm a 27 year-old female grad student (in nursing!) so I find this whole topic very interesting. I was initially thinking that it might be cerebrospinal fluid moving, but I have heard some other interesting explanations on this forum and in another.

One explanation is acid-reflux. I was diagnosed with this years ago, and it used to be awful, but now I only have the symptoms occasionally. There are two types of acid-reflux. GERD (which I have/had) and Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR). The symptoms of LPR often do not include heartburn -  Symptoms of Laryngopharyngeal Reflux include:

Continual throat clearing
Chronic throat irritation
Chronic cough
Hoarseness
Excessive phlegm the throat
Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
Constant sensation of something in the throat
Swallowed food comes back up
Post nasal drainage
Weak voice
Cracking voice
Blockage of the breathing passage
Spasm of the larynx (voice box)
Wheezing
Heartburn

I think I may have this since I have 4 out of the first 5 on a regular basis, and post-nasal drip. I always thought this was related to sinuses/allergies. And I noticed that these symptoms get better when I have changed my diet...So it kind of makes sense that the fizzing noise could be related to this, since a lot of people have stomach rumbling simultaneously.

The second theory that I like was posted by Emma, and it's called forward head syndrome. I was told by my chiropractor years ago that my neck lacks the proper curvature. I also experience the pain in my ribcage that occurs when I yawn or deep breathe. Improper head/neck/upper back posture could definitely be contributing to the fizzing - seems plausible to me. Food allergies can also lead to this problem, as the allergies will cause nasal blockage which leads to mouth breathing, which can cause you to change your posture.

Does anyone else have sinus/allergy symptoms who has this problem?
It is 11:45am right now, and I have not eaten anything since 6:45am, so I am extremely hungry. My stomach feels scrunched and I am hearing the rain-stick sounds. Being an anatomy student, I started thinking...

We know that the sound has strong correlation with hunger. The stomach is really far away from the spine/brain and the brain does not physically send out any fluids to the stomach. Cerebrospinal fluid doesn't really make a sound and there wouldn't be bubbles in there anyways. If it did make sounds, then we would be constantly hearing it all the time. The brain does however have something to do with regulating hunger.

I think that whatever gland (most likely hypothalamus) is releasing hormones in the brain is going into overtime during extreme hunger and that action is causing the sounds. For me, the sound only occurs at the late stages of hunger. After the sound subsides, I've gone into the stage where I don't even feel hungry anymore. The sound is really only noticeable when you're resting quietly, which is why some people might not've noticed, nor cared enough to look it up. Another thing is that people notice it for so long they realize it's harmless.
Another sufferer of the fizzy/pop rock head/neck.

I've had this sensation for a very long time.  Sometimes it happens multiple times a day & other times it doesn't happen at all.

I am a 29 year old female whom suffers from fibromyalgia.  Non smoker, Non drinker, currently overweight, but only since I had my last child.

Tripped forwards at the age of 11 whilst walking & hit face onto cement, (passed out afterwards.)  Serious car accident at 14.  Multiple horseriding falls in my teens, (too many to count.)

I get the stomach association with it too.  As my stomach growls I can hear it crackling (like soda on pop rocks,) echo'ed in my head.  I can also reproduce the sound by moving my shoulders backwards sometimes.  

I feel that my issue is neck/spine/nerve related, & like many others have had Dr's look at me like I am bonkers when I've mentioned it.

I've had this also off and on for the last seven years. Mine is when sitting back or lying down, most oftem after waking, or resting after working. Mine starts at the base of the skull and travels downward in the center of the neck. Mine are audable also if it's quiet enough in the room it's pretty noticeable. Mine do accompany hunger growls too but actually happen more often without. I should mention after having chronic headaches and numbness I had a Lumbar Puncture and I had a high opening pressure, or Intracranial Hypertension (IH).

So my theory is it is caused by the circulation and pressure of Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF). CSF is produced in the ventricles inside the brain and travels out the fourth ventricle the opening of which is near the rear base of the skull (posterior fossa). It then circulates in a narrow space around the brain and spinal cord(subarachnoid space), and is reabsorbed through the sagital sinuses and is reabsorbed into the blood venously on the top of the head under the skull.

I think where the CSF is reabsorbed is significant because I also get popping, crackling, noises/sensations in specific places on the top of my head.

CSF is constintly being made and absorbed, I think it replaces itself five times a day,this production and absorption is what mantains the appropriate pressure, and the sagital sinuses act as little pressure relief valves.

Lying down increases CSF pressure, and standing makes it drop, theirs a big explanation for this but I won't get into it here, it's just important to know that it does. So when lying down the pressure is increased and when ever you increase pressure it increases flow. I think the more frequently and intensely you experience this sensation/noise is relative to how high your Intracranial pressure is and may be a sign of a neurological disease if accompanied with other neurological symptoms.

I actually don't know why doctors are so perplexed by this phenomena, it makes perfect sense when you think about the circulation of CSF, but why it's associated with hunger growls I couldn't really say exacly, other than their is also a relationship between abdominal pressure and CSF pressure, which is a factor why one cause of IH called Idiopathic IH is found mostly in obese people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDMO4vYkqdg
I was trying to get some rest and the short live fizzing woke me up, so I figurred I would finally look into it and try to figure out what exactly is causing it!.

Wow this is SO AWESOME!

This has been happening to me for as long as I can remember, and I have noticed that it is significantly more noticeable when I'm hungry or have a fairly empty stomach.

It's always nice to find out people are experiencing something similar.
Same deal.
I'm 30. Experienced it for the past 3 months. Smoker, drinker etc.
Have forward neck thing. Hiatal hernia (stomach sphincter). Removal of enlarged benign lymph node in neck (years ago). Panic attacks. Hypoglycemic. On Klonopin. Had my first head ache in 10 yrs last month.
To me, it sounds like the forward neck and stomach problems are the two best guesses.
If doctors can't figure it out then maybe we can.
Hi, I have the same problem. I was in an anatomy class and we were talking about the brain. Not being shy, since I was sitting next to friends, I blunty asked the professor in front of the whole class "Mr. Capehart.... so do you know what it is when you like hear a weird fuzzy sound in your brain? Kind of like the sound of eggs being cooked in the kitchen?" The WHOLE ENTIRE CLASS, INCLUDING MY FRIENDS, SLOWLY TURNED THEIR HEADS LOOKED AT ME LIKE I WAS CRAZY. My professor who is a really funny and humorous kind of man responded "Whatever type of drugs you're on, THAT could be causing it.". I really thought at least someone in the class knew!

I'm glad I found this site. I've also asked my doctor about this 2 years ago. She gave me a weird look and couldn't think of what it could possibly be. It does happen more so when I lay down at night.
This started happening since I was 24 yrs old. I'm 27 now. I am more than 40 lbs overweight. I do have stress from work and juggling with children's activities/appointments and I have a hard-headed husband. I am a smoker, I smoke about 4 to 5 cigs a day. I have had high bloodpressure in the past, not too high though.

WEIRD THING THAT HAPPENED TO ME TODAY: (which is why I had to google this up and finally find something about it!)  I was walking around a high school running track, after about 20 minutes of walking, I notice everything I stepped my left foot forward while walking, the fizz would come, but only for 1 second at EVERY STEP that my left foot took forward. I thought maybe "Okay maybe my brain is overflowed with air and I need to do this more to help clear it up?"

I hope someday, one day, Doctors can come to a conclusion on knowing exactly what this is!
I have the same issues!   I've had the fizzy neck thing for years and it never concerned me.   However, now I am experiencing a clicking noise in the back of my neck when I walk.  It is very annoying and concerning.  Is anyone else hearing this clicking noise in their neck when they walk?
Ive had this symptom since I was little (25 now). I have also noticed it happen when I get my monthly allergy shot. It feels like the shot goes right to the back of my  neck and then the bubbles push through and make their vibration/noise. I am concerned I am, or have gotten air in my allergy shot.
i get it too! infact im getting it now and im starving!
i also find i get it a bit when swimming, its wierd and id really liek to find out what it is. i dont get headaches though.
Curiouswoman. Yes it happens to me also
This has happened to me for years! I don't get pains from it, so I've never realy been bothered by it. But I'm curious nonetheless, especially if it could have some medical significance. Many of you have associated it with hunger. I had "the fizz" minutes ago and did find myself shortly hungry afterwards, but I can't remember if that always happens. I'll definitely make a note in future.

About me: I'm female,27, has had insomnia for years, mildly overweight. I used to have migraines a lot as a kid till I was in my teens. They went away for several years and these days (perhaps due to increased stress and more intense insomnia?), I tend to get them again. I'm also prone to bouts of depression. Looks to me like these are some others here share these traits as well. Might they have anything to do with the fizz?
Im 18 years old. I have been always overweight. It started when i was younger but it happened like once or twice a month. Now it happens aalot. I have severe depression and my neck hurts like hell. I have two different fizzes. The one when im hungry that is verry loud and a different one that i get when io walk. I noticed that when i step and the pressure goes to the right hip i can hear a click in the neck. Im loosing my mind. I can hadnle the hunger fizz, but the one when i walk i cant bare the clicking sound . :(
I get the fizz too and I have GERD. Search for it on google. It's probably acid being forced up through the lower esophageal sphincter(LES) from gas back pressure in the stomach.
First of all sorry for my bad english, i was diagnosed with gastritis 2 years ago but i didnt got any medication. It got better but it started again. I got a burning senstaion in the stomach and the fizzing happens. I have googled about GERD and i found put that i have some of the symptopms of GERD,
woah. I've tried to explain this to so many people. i've had fizzing sounds in my neck since i was a kid, and i noticed it most when i was swimming, maybe just because i could hear it louder in the water (although i doubt there is any correllation). I just had it a few minutes ago which is why i searched it out, but i had just eaten a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, so i think the hunger thing is out for me. I have never met any one else who has this and i've never attempted to tell my doctor about it. anyway my medical history is this:

Female, 19
light smoker
average weight and height
no unusual diet although i don't usually eat a lot of protein.
kidney problems
really sharp headaches on the right side of my head near/above my ear that last a only few seconds, for about an hour, some have lasted two weeks but are excruciating, i take advil/tylenol/excedrin daily.
regular excercise
benign giant cell granuloma in jaw that reccurred three times.

that's about it,
at least we're not all crazy!
oh yes and-
mine sound like electric bubbles.
staticy types, sort of like the rain stick i suppose :)
and they don't hurt
The internet rocks! I have experienced the "fizzy" sound since I was a kid, I'm 40 now. I always explained it as "bubbles moving up the back of my neck at the base of my skull". Everyone I have ever explained it to looked at me like I was crazy.

For medical history, I've never been diagnosed with any kind of problem. But I have had the "Ice pick" headaches mentioned in an early post (also since childhood) and weight problems my entire life (overweight as a child, underweight as a teen/young adult and overweight again as I am moving into my 40's)
Hi, my name is Laura, I am 39 years old... I also have this weird sound like a "rainstick, fizzing, tinkling, bubble sound in the back of my head/neck area... It has been there pretty much my whole life from what I can remember... Never let it bother me and never mentioned to anyone as I didnt want to be labeled "psycho', weird, crazy, etc...I do however have chronic migraines, have 2 herniated cervical spine discs and supraorbital neuropathy which is where I get this pain that starts in my L eyebrow and shoots back to the c spine area if the eyebrow area is touched, brushed up against, or even if wind hits me in the face, it also causes the shooting pain... My neurologist said it has nothing to do with my herniated discs, but I find that hard to believe, as if I go to my chiropractor several times, the neck pain and eyebrow pain go away... if I dont go to chiropractor for a while, the neck pain and shooting eyebrow pain also comes back.. My insurance doesnt cover chiropractic which is that helps the most, so I only go if I can afford it... Would like to be able to go 1 a week if possible, but im lucky to go once a month...anyway, back to the rainstick/bubble/fizzing/tinkling sound in my neck... I personally agree with the one person who stated, she thought it was related to her grumbling belly i.e. hunger pangs.... I feel the same thing as when I have hunger pangs, as soon as the grumbling starts to fade, thats when the tinkling/fizzing sound starts in the back of my neck.... I believe it is air that is migrating from the abdomen, up through the esophagus and goes up into the nasal sinus cavity and just goes from there on into any crack or crevice it can find which also is the ethmoid sinus air cells and who knows what ever else we have in the head for like sinus tracts or even ear space??  I mostly have this happen with the grumbling of my belly.. once I eat, the grumbling stops and so does the tinkling sound in the back of my neck/head/ears...

I think the eardrums pick up any noices the head makes... including when I have a migraine, I can hear the blood rushing and pounding in my head when Im laying down in a quiet environment....

Thats the only explanation i can come up with....

Im glad Im not the only one who is out there wondering what this noise is...

Laura g
That last one, where she has a bloodrush/heartbeat sound in her ear when she lays down, that's been me for years but long after I got migraines when I was 33 (Dad also, now son) and I began the herbal cure, mainly coral calcium.  Went past that to COQ10 and then on to Salvia, Gingko, and even tried Nattokinaise all with the goal of thinning my 'wants to clump' blood.  Last blood donation didn't even fill bag, wasted.
Dr wants me to be on the 1@day baby asprin and reluctantly I am but wait 12 hours after herbals as the salicylic acid kills plant enzymes.  All this to try to stave off stroke/heart attack.  Developed 'fizzy ear' right side last month, comes and goes.  Seems just like you poured hydrogen peroxide in and let it fizz.  

Also low blod pressure for years probably adrenal fatigue and by now probably can't make cortisol either.  Maybe no blood/brain barrier as why everything turns to headache.  

Wish the Nattokinaise or Salvia worked but get headache (amazing it doesn't turn into migraine as ALL headaches do) but the Nattokinaise even made me weak, as been experiencing weakness in extremeties, even to having to hold a pen between fingers as thumb useless thought I should quit all and now its just baby asprin but if I thought if I could go to dr and get a blood thinner from bat venom (desmokinase) rather than the chemically made warfarin I would try.
Just thought I would add a few things,

Mine, I can hear it, and feel it drain down from the back base of my skull downward into the spinal canal or down into the neck, and also popping sounds/sensations on top of my head. A lot of people describe it going upwards, but mine always feels like it goes downwards into my neck. I'm fairly convinced it's Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF), because CSF is basically just water that circulates around a persons spinal cord, and brain, and the pressure of which is affected by abdominal pressure acting against thoratic pressure which then directly affects flow resistance of the CSF. Some members have mentioned forward neck, and herniated discs, and I think that fits also because the subarachnoid space around the spinal cord isn't that wide, and has to share space with blood vessels as well, and any shifting of the vertebrae or discs can create an increased narrowing of the subarachnoid space around the spinal canal, therefore also creating an increased resistance to CSF flow. Inflammation to the meninges (layer around the brain, cord)  or inflammation to the brain or cord itself (encephalitis, myelitis respectfully) can also reduce the width of the subarachnoid space.

I can remember this happening once in a while when I was still young, and healthy so the phenomenon in itself isn't a sign of illness, I think it just increases in occurrence as we get older and develop spine problems, gain weight, or have inflammation in the central nervous system or even a combination of two or three of those factors. I have a stiff neck, bulging dics, am 50lbs overweight, and also have Sarcoidosis which can cause an inflammation to the meninges, so I can't pin point which thing made the phenomenon occur more frequently, but I suspect it is more a result of being overweight, but could be a combination of all of those factors.

One time when I was sitting face to face with a neurologist I tried explaining this phenomenon to her, and she just said, "Other people have brought this up to me also, but there is no fluid moving in the back of your neck", and then she offered me some anti depressants :-) which I refused. I guess she must have been home sick the days during medical school when they were talking about CSF.
I am experiencing the same thing also. Thought i was going nuts or something. I heard it this morning and finally decided to look it up. Although i didn't get much answers to what is going on, its good to know that i am not alone and im not going nuts (lol).
just to contribute to the list of my fellow who also experience this funny sound at the back of the neck:
- i'm overweight (but not yet obese)
- chronic headaches and sometimes really bad migraines
- i can sometimes hear the sound even when i'm walking and not hungry
- i've been hypertensive for 5yrs now

i think Corvin offers a very possible explanation of why these things happen

i'm not as bothered anymore now, as when i first heard this "rainstick" sound... it's somehow relieving to know that many experience this, and many have had this for quite some time (since they were kids?!) and are still ok! :)
Nice to know I'm in good company! I'm 33 and have the fizzy/bubbling sounds described so well by all of you, and I've had them for as long as I can remember. In addition:

first kidney stone at 18 y.o.
second kidney stone at 22 (but none in the 11 years since)
low blood pressure
hard to find veins
bad headaches a couple times per month
temp. loss of vision when I stand too quickly
have passed out 2x when giving blood
clicking in jaws that started about a year ago
mystery hip to foot pains while pregnant 3 yrs. ago
slightly anemic while pregnant
20 lbs. overweight for the past 5 or so yrs.

Also, this is probably unrelated, but does anyone else have hiccups that happen multiple times in one day? If I get them once, I get them 5-6 times in a single day, and then I won't have them again for several weeks. It's very strange. A cure I've found is to eat dill pickles, though, and they just stop. Try it next time you get them.
I too get these noises, static-like fizzing in the centre of my neck. This only occurs for me in conjunction with hunger. It never happens otherwise and clearly has some link with stomach activity.
Having read almost all entries on this page I would say the biggest common factors are possible blood pressure issues and being overweight slightly. Though I have one friend that doesn't think I'm mental for having the bubblyfizzcrackles as she gets the same thing; she is far from overweight however.
I don't think it's anything that should be worried about. It makes sense to be release of something from glands related with hunger control or stomach issues. Perhaps merely lying down and therefore altering the positioning of the stomach, flattening it etc, causes something to be regulated automatically as a result, which occurs also with hunger. We're just are all able to hear this action.
I've had this bubbling/fizzling/crackling for years.  I've been meaning to look it up for an explanation for a long time.  I'm going to refrain from saying 'I have the same problem' as I do not see it as a problem.  For me the symptoms only occur when I'm hungry and have 'hunger pains' in my stomach, generally after a stomach growl (but not necessarily) there will be a few seconds of the noise, which also creates a sensation I can feel (best description I have read refers to it closely to what a 'rain stick' sounds and feels like).  My own estimate has been either a liquid is moving into an area of moving gas, or gas is moving through an area of liquid, causing a 'bubbling' sensation and noise.  I am a chronic joint popper, and often crack my neck (this is obviously a VERY different and hunger related issue), just listing for others with this possible links.  If I hear/feel the hunger bubbles in my neck, I can generally turn my head and also pop my neck.  Perhaps the bubbles are small leaks of what causes the louder pops during a joint popping session?
me 2. for just a few months now. had my dr listin to it w stethoscope and did xrays w obnormal formity of neck.
It's great to find so many people experiencing this same weird phenomenon as me. But it's sad to see no one having a good explanation of what's going on or what can or should be done about it.

I liked the description of it as like a "rain stick."  I have a little weird sensation when it happens -- and it's happening more and more lately, and the sensation is getting more "oogy."

For me it's in the top of the back of my neck, near where it meets the base of the skull.
I should add, I'm fairly certain mine is not connected to hunger in any way.
5am the bubbling,crackling neck noise woke me up.3yrs now no cure had mri but nothing found.i'm tired do not get much sleep.Doctors think i'm nuts but i just want the noise to stop.Ihave no other medical problems.On a scale of 1to10 my noise is an 8,i'm 41 i can't imagine going another 20 to 30 yrs with this problem let's keep trying to find a cure an get it posted a.s.a.p    good luck to everyone
I can't believe there are so many of us! I really felt nuts for a while there....

I experience the fizzy head thing too- i like the description of "pop rocks" from one of the above posters- very accurate!

My fizzieness has been happening for a few years now, but has gotten worse lately. I like how most of you guys have been posting medical histories because i really think we can figure this out if enough people do the same. Anyway, mine is:

Personal info:
Female, 23 years old
Off and on smoker- smoked a pack a week for almost 2 years, but now i have one to two cigarettes every month or so
High level of stress
Not overweight at onset of 'fizzing' but i am mildly overweight now (maybe by 20lbs?)
Regular marijuana user
Drink every once in a while- maybe once every 2 weeks
Night time Bruxism (and of course the related headaches)
Severe Allergies (post nasal drip and all the related fun stuff....)
Generalized Anxiety Disorder with OCD tendencies
Seasonal Affective Disorder
Frequent sufferer of acid reflux/heartburn
Blood sugar related disorders are common in my family- i have family members with both hypoglycemia and diabetes (i have yet to be diagnosed with anything but i do have some hypoglycemic symptoms. i can tell when my blood sugar is dropping- based on mood shifts, changes in energy levels, lightheadedness, shakiness, etc. when i need food)

operations / procedures:
just one- had benign cyst underneath tongue that had to be popped (with no anesthetic either....that was tons o' fun.)

Medications:
ortho tri cyclen lo (previously, not anymore)
Zoloft (previously, not anymore)
excedrin for bruxism related headaches
benadryl for allergies
cymbalta for GAD

it is comforting to know there are others who experience this- now let's just try and work together to figure it out! :-)
Wow, I really had no idea there were so many people out there with this symptom.  I started hearing the fizzy sounds in my neck about 9 months ago.  I had fallen off of an ATV and came down with a whole bunch of symptoms that didn't make sense and every doctor looked at me like I was crazy.  I passed out a few times, felt really weak, back pain, just didn't feel like myself.  I'm gradually getting back on track ( I see an osteopath once a month) but the fizzing sound is still there.  It's totally random and happens all day long.  I can especially hear it when I'm walking, it fizzes and crackles with each step I take.  When I was driving last week I turned my head to the left and It started fizzing and popping at a fast rhythem.  Scared me to death.  I haven't mentioned it to any of my docs yet, but am thinking about mentioning it next time I see my osteopath.  It doesn't hurt, it's just so annoying and I can't help but worry that there might be something wrong in my neck.  UUUGGGHH...  It is refreshing to know I'm not alone though.  
Mine started without warning 3yrs ago i think stress has a hand in it does anyone feel extreme depression over this a feeling of no hope of getting rid of this i always think its a serious condition but i am not in pain just the noise drive my nuts i saw every doc possible and all tests from scopes to mri they blamed it on acid reflux to stress and everything else i don't know where to go with this anymore who would have thought something like this could be so anoying     let's all keep talking about it and try to find a cure     good luck
Just like all of you others, I have been hearing this sound. I was bad at describing it and told my family it was like grains of sand going up my neck, but 'fizzing' is a much more accurate description.

Other that being 30 pounds overweight, and stress/anxiety, I have no other major health problems that I know of.

2 years ago I had a brain MRI because my head kept feeling like it was too full. Normal test results.

Last year I had an ultrasound of the carotid artery in my neck because the sound was bugging me. Also normal.

The only think other than the fizzing sound that really bothers me is when I go from sitting to standing too quickly, my head feels like it fills up with ? and gets all full and stuffy. After I stand for a few seconds it feels better, almost like the extra blood, CSF, whatever is draining down where it should have.

I also grind my teeth really badly at night.

Good luck all!

jilliejillerjill
It sounds like poprocks with soda being poured onto them...
Everyone says it feels like the bubbles are going down their neck..Mine go up it feels like to me.. =/

I go for surgery on my lower back neck month to fuse L5 S1..I have degenerative disk disease,Im wondering if these have anything in common...I've been reading up on this Chiari Malformation and wondering if this sound has anything to do with compression of the spine..
Alot of people have said theirs happens when their hungry or laying down..Mine is fizzing right now sitting up & does it weather Im hungry or have just ate..Makes no difference what Im doing..But does get worse the more I've been exercising..My body has a hard time regulating heat I over heat very easily & have had heatstroke 4 times..Does anyone else have "heat" problems...?
Mine sounds like pop rocks also,i get hunger alot even when i eat something doc now says i don't have ulcers but he says i have ibs syndrome does anyone have stomach problems also with this fizzing noise in the neck    
Well I go in to see my neurosurgeon today I am going to ask what this is & if he's heard of it and will let you guys know what he says about it..

If he thinks Im going crazy or need a brain transplant he might send me to mental hospital..lol
I went to the apt told him about it & he told me this sound is caused by migraines and that its not caused by compression...Then he went on to read my file about my lower back surgery...Wich leads me to believe he has no idea what Im talking about...

I didnt go into it further because I dont want it to interfere with my surgery next month..If they find something in my head & cancle my surgery Ima be PO'ed its been cancled twice already..

So I'll talk to him about it more after my surgery I'll tell him i want a MRI done to see if the hamster has fallen off his wheel... =) lol

Take Care Fizzers..
Hahah "Fizzers"! I like the sound of that.

I've personally never been to a  neurosurgeon, but next time anyone here happens to go to one--or even their primary car doctor, perhaps they could take a print out of this page, or lend them this URL, with all the descriptions and documented accounts of others, so you have more drive perhaps. And they'll see for themselves that It' s not just an individual thing. Man...the other night the fizzing was occurring so frequently [it normally happens once or twice] I was having difficulty sleeping.

I don't know the next time I'll be visiting a doctor, as I'm currently uninsured, but I'll be sure to do as I just suggested next time I do.

=)
Did anyone hear of PALATAL MYOCLONUS this is a conditon that makes rapid clicking in the tissue palate at the back your mouth and can wake you at night check it out it is rare and docs might give you the brush off but its worth a try anything to find this condition
I've had the fizzies from time to time all my life, usually mild.  Occasionally it's more a severe occurrence and this is associated with what UpNorthOutWest referred to as an "oogy" sensation, which I think is motion-sickness.  I never thought it was *in* my spine, though, more like between the back of my throat and my spine.  Now I'm not so sure.

I like the 'rain-stick' analogy; I always thought of it as 'champagne bubbles'.

I've noticed after reading this list and making a few trials that if you pull your shoulders back you can make this happen, but you get just one or two bubble-sounds and not the thirty or forty ascending ones that you get when it happens spontaneously.

I don't have any of the somewhat frightening neurological issues a lot of y'all seem to have... I'm overweight and have sleep apnea, but that's fairly recent and I've had the fizzies all my life.
I've been having this problem for close to 1/2 a year now -- I've had an MRI of my brain which came back normal but the issue still continues. I was diagnosed with Euystachian Airway Disease and I also have acid reflux.. not certain if either of these would really relate to this but it is scaring me tremendously..
various things I have along with this:

acid reflux
hiatal hernia
eustaychian airway disease

had an MRI and the only thing that was reported was a congestion in the mastoid sinuses.. was on doxycycline for 2 weeks (which should cleanup the congestion) still have the sound.. i also have these strange pimples(?) that seem to be growing on my neck and base of skull.. only had them the past 6months or so.. any connection?
I posted here about a year ago. At the time I didn't have stomach problems but around April had a lot of weird stomach/diaphragm symptoms. I had my gall bladder removed and that helped somewhat, but also at the same time I had GERD. Two courses of antibiotics haven't cured it (h. pylori), going to a gastro next month.

The fizzing sounds have gotten less frequent for me, perhaps because I lost about 20 lbs, but they still happen occasionally. Definitely stomach/hunger related for me, and with the GERD, maybe that was an underlying factor that I wasn't aware of at the time.

Mainly I want to chime in support to Uniquelyevil's suggestion--PRINT OUT A COPY OF THIS URL AND TAKE IT TO YOUR DOCTOR IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE RAISING THE ISSUE! Reading through the thread it's obvious many doctors think we're nuts or hypochondriacs or something. But obviously this is a real physical condition, with classic and overt sensations. It could be fairly harmless, but could be a symptom of a more serious issue (or multiple issues), and if so making doctors aware could help more people. And/or at least not make them dismiss it outright as even existing, thus tainting their entire trust in our descriptions and problems.

And if anyone in the medical community is reading this, it would of course be wonderful if you could recommend a study of this sensation to researchers or students or whoever. I along with everyone in the thread can assure you the feeling is quite real and quite distinct. And often times disturbing.
I have it as well. I finally brought it up to my neuro. I'm 21 and female, maybe 15 pounds overweight. I have quite an extensive health history. I've had two ruptured discs. I think the GERD thing is coincidental, honestly. How many people can say they have reflux. I think quite a few.

Three key things stick out for me. I've been having severe pain around my right eye daily. Heat makes it worse - especially showers. I was diagnosed with migraines.  My right eye on the inside feels twitches and sometimes I see silver confetti- like shiny things. It's probably more like clusters, but I don't fit the demographic of being male and middle aged. The fizzy sound gets worse when my headaches are bad. The fizzy sound was made MUCH MUCH worse when I had the MRI today. As soon as they put the contrast in - fizzle, fizzle, fizzle. That has to mean something. Then, finally, how this all started. The first fizzle experience I had was when I had a massive blood clot. There was a lot of fizzling going on. Near constant. The clot was my entire left arm all the way up to my jugular. I brought it up to the nurse because my face would get flushed, then the fizzle would happen, and my face would return normal. I was told that the fizzle was caused at that time because the blood was trying to escape my brain due to vein congestion. My jugular and lower have all had clear images now, and I still get the fizzies. Pair that with the contrast making it worse, I really think it has to do with circulation somehow.
I thought I was CRAZY!  This fizzing (sifting sand) sound at the base of my scalp, (middle of neck) has been happening to me for over a year.  It only happened a couple times a month at first, but now it happens every time I lay down.  It does not hurt, but it is starting to worry me.  I, like others on here, have suffered with anxieties, although not as bad as they used to be.  I am starting to worry that I am going to have a stroke, I am just waiting for the day that this fizzing will go to my brain.  It does not hurt when it happens, but I sometimes have sharp brain freeze pains that only last for a short time, usually only minutes, during the day.  the following is my history;

39
smoker
ex-pot smoker (started having anxiety attacks, after YEARS of partaking)
Hard to swallow sometimes
diagnosed with degenerative disk disease
suffered from a bulging disk and a herniated disk (had the injections)
frequent heartburn, acid reflux
I have a mucus build up (sounds gross I know) in the back of my throat that is hard to get out
my head has always had a forward slant, and now I have a big hump in between my shoulders
Frequent Insomnia
Restless leg syndrome

I mentioned it to my Dr. and he acted like it was no big deal because it does not hurt when it happens.  I thought I was crazy and becoming a hypochondriac.  I am so glad I am not alone on this.  Thank you all for your posts, I will keep checking back for updates.

Take Great Care!
I wanted to add this to my post above:

I also grind my teeth REALLY bad and I too have head rushes when I move to fast that cause me to loose my balance at times.  Does that make sense?  Gosh, after writing all this, I really do sound like a hypochondriac, but I promise, I'm not.......

Take Great Care
Hello all. I too have very similar symptoms as mentioned here. When I  
was younger around 10-12 hrs old I first start having the sensations  
in my neck. Like a bubbling or fizzing feeling and sound. It only used  
to happen when I was reAlly hungry. I told my family about it but they  
aleways just laughed. I guess they thought I was joking.  These  
sysmptoms went away or were very rare for a long time. I am 23 now and  
I am having it happen again now. Only this time it seems way more  
intense than it was when I was younger. Now I get the fizzing/bubbling  
feeling in my neck near the base of my skull along with a very sick  
feeling in my stomach. And this happens randomly. I find stress and  
anxiety makes it worse or more frequent.   When this happens I feel  
really sick like I just want to lay down until it goes away. And  
sometimes the fizzing feeling seems to go up higher than usual like  
into my head rather than in my neck. I don't know what this is and  
have not seen a doctor about it in fear of them not taking me  
seriously because no one ever does.  I also have very bad sinus and  
allergy issues and don't know if it might be related at all but if  
anyone also has sinus issues as well as this other "thing" please  
post. Thanks. I feel alot better knowing I'm not the only one who  
feels this.

Levi

I was told by a nurse, that the sensation is caused by your body burning up its sugars. I get the same thing often so I was concerned and asked around, it's amazing how many people have this and have no idea what it is. your safe ;-)
Wow!!! I've tried explaining this several times to many different people-doctors, family, friends, my husband-everyone seems to think I am crazy so I gave up and just let it be! This is the first time I have ever heard of someone else having the same symptoms of which I have been having for yearrrrrss let alone this many people having these strange feelings-more unusual and worring than painful yet still painful just extremely "weird"! I guess you all know what I'm trying to say! I feel it in my neck and bottom of my head quit often and every now and then I feel it in my brain! It is certainly bothersome and worring but comforting to know you all feel the same strange things! Good luck everyone!!!
had an MRI of my cervical spine for this a couple days ago and it turned up that I have some disk inflammation.. no idea if its related yet or not, going to see orthopedist next week, will post back
orthopedist said I have some early signs of arthritis but that doesn't explain the neck bubbling sound.. he said if it were to happen in motion it would most likely be the cause of something rubbing back there (i guess like, cartiledge or something) but considering it happens when I'm laying completely stationary, that still isn't a viable explanation
I have no other medical problems but this.Mine wakes me up it's so loud.It's very bad at night,i have had this for 4 yrs now and very anoying.I saw every specialist know to man kind and had tests,blood ,mri's of cervical,brain,ears also 2 ph tests,3 scopes.I can hear a crunch noise when i walk,but most of the time i can stay still and the noise shoots up the back of my neck.no pain.I have decribed the sound to doctors as crackling,fizzing,a bubbling,static sound.Doctor's have no idea they all thought acid reflux but tried every drug not one bit of difference.So now i give up and hope someone hear can get us the answers we need.Sorry i don't have better news but that's my storey in a nut shell.good luck
I also have heard the fizzing for as long as i can remember and im 29 and knew there must be others with it. My partner knows im not crazy though... he actually heard it for himself when we were laying in silence trying to sleep one night and asked me what the noise was (quite grossed out by it) I do only notice it at night in bed when its quiet  and although i seem to always feel hungry,can assure you i have eaten a lot not too long before going to bed and and consequently overweight.I also have extremely bad reflux when im not careful what i eat)
the theory of it being the brain releasing the chemical that controls hunger is very interesting tho!  
tee hee hee ...

I get it to. And as a lot of people have previously mentioned, mine generally seems to happen when I am hungry.

To me, it sounds like 100's of teeny tiny little pieces of glass falling down my neck. It kinda like it. It almost kinda tickles!
apparently the feeling of electric shocks in the back of your head is very common in people with MS... thought I don't think that's quite what we're all describing, anyone have any thoughts?
ELECTRIC SHOCKS?NOT ME JUST THE SOUND. I THINK YOU WOULD FEEL THE SHOCK.THE NOISE JUST MAKES ME FEEL UNEASY.THERE IS A CONECTION WITH THE STOMACH THOUGH.WHEN I GET A SMALL NOISE IN MY STOMACH IT RADIATES TO MY NECK AND I HEAR IT VERY LOUD.I THINK HIGH STRESS HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT.ALSO I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT WHEN ALL THIS STARTED 3 YEARS AGO I HAD THESE ON GOING HUNGER PAINS THAT WOULD NOT GO AWAY WITH EATING FOOD.IT WOULD ALSO WAKE ME AT NIGHT.ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO MY DOCTOR JUST DECIDED TO TREAT ME FOR H-PYLORI A BUG OF THE STOMACH.RESULT HUNGER PAINS ARE GONE BUT THE NECK CRACKLING IS STILL THERE.AT THIS POINT WHO KNOWS.GOOD LUCK
I too have this happening to me...my search for an answer is what lead me to this site.  I must say...I do have some relief that I am not alone.  My medical history is long. I wont bore you with it all but I will tell you that I have right side head and eye pain and have been diagnosed with Scleritis.  I have right side head pain and neck/spine pain.  I experience episodes when I have muscle pain and weakness. I recently had a seizure and now suspect that I have had small seizures before but didnt know that what they were.  I did have a MRI indicate microvascular changes in the right side of the brain and I also had a MRI that said "incidentally identified is an anomalous draining vessel in the precental white matter at the convexity on the right side."  I dont know what it means as I didnt read the report until I got home after my doctor telling me the MRI was normal.

I am scared and frustrated as I have so many more symptoms.  I feel as though my spine, neck and brain becomes inflamed.  I am now on 5mg of steroids everyday and Methotrexate for the Scleritis in my right eye.

I do want to mention that before all of my symptoms....I did a very stupid thing and put Super Glue in my right eye.  I have mentioned this multiple times but all of my doctors (I have been to many!) tell me it could not be related.

I want to mention also that like another posted comment...when I have MRIs....the fizzing is much worse.  What could this mean?

AND the main reason I decided to post...I have something that I did not read that anyone else mentioned...although I too get the fizzing when it seems my stomach is empty....I get it when I am urinating.  SOUNDS CRAZY I KNOW....but when I sit on the toilet....there is no fizzing....once my urine is released....fizzing until I stop urinating.  Am I the only one experiencing this?

Good Luck to us all and best wishes for good health!
You guys might all want to copy this forum and take it to your doctors.  I have ice pic headaches and migraine, but nothing like this. These forums are great.  They have helped me narrow symptoms down for my doctors.  Good luck!!!
I've brought this forum to my doctors many times and to be honest most don't even seem interested in looking at it.. they have no idea wtf its caused by.. though I really can't fathom why not.. how many fluid based things really run through the back of your neck..
Okay, here is what I know....I got viral meningitis back in the beginning of Sep/09. Ever since then when I am walking up the stairs, I can hear the spinal fluid swishing in the back of my neck.  I have asked my dr about this.  He said that it is actually what I think it is...spinal fluid in the base of my brain.  He also said it was nothing to worry about.  I trust my dr.  He hasnt steered me wrong yet...just though I would throw it out there.  Good luck everyone!
Well I read this topic a while ago after searching my symptom, so I don't know if anyone's posted any good explanations for it since. But FINALLY in the other topic here about the same thing, another user posted an explanation:

"I just woke up and experienced this (having had it all my life), and decided to look it up out of curiosity of how many other people have this.

It may sound like it's in the back of your neck or skull, and like a rushing, almost lumpy sound. You might even hear an odd squirt sound in your chest a few minutes later too. Many of you likely have had some nerve damage or tremors (I've been a shaky man all my life), and you've probably had some history of sinus issues as well.

It's not CSF fluid escaping, it's actually you shifting your head slightly when waking up and allowing your parotid glands next to your ears to drain (and it's quite loud).  This is increased when you have neural damage, since those early morning brain signals when you wake up that says "time to eat!" are firing sporadically.  You may not even notice the increased saliva right after, but after you experience this, try not to swallow for 1 minute and see what I mean!

Get some breathing strips so you won't dry out your mouth as much while you sleep, and your poor saliva glands won't have so much on reserve, and don't eat before you go to sleep this will cause extra saliva the next morning too."
--originally posted by Foster

This...makes a hell of a lot of sense to me, since the meds I'm on cause dry mouth and the fizzy wtfness started up around the time I began taking them.
My explanation to it does not involve any glands or liquids. I think what's going on in the back of the neck is that there is a build up of charge in miniature cavities near the cerebellum. Consuming caffeine products such as soda, coffee will most likely promote the overall firing activity of the neurons cells in the brain and occasionally gather up enough electrons in one cavity. one sudden move or twist of the neck could spark the discharge of the charged cavity by short circuiting it with nearby nerves. the cavity will be brained(grounded to the brain potential) in no longer than 10 to 15 seconds, the cavity will be losing its electrons until its neutral and the noise you hear in the back of your neck/head is the jumping of excited electrons from one part to another in your brain!!!
mehdi
i came here looking for "bubbles in head sound" and most of you are describing fizzing in the back of your neck. mine is in the front right hemisphere of my head (brain?) and sounds/feels like bubbles or carbonation. there's no associated headaches or hunger as many of you are describing, and it seems to occur any time, not just when i'm laying down. i have no medical issues that i know of. does anyone else have this particular sensation?
     wow. So much for uniqueness. LOL.  I just posted a comment/question in several forums last night about this exact phenomana.  

I decided to dig into the online texts out there, sparked by interesting research on bi-polar patients (i am one).  The study showed an overall increase in size of the brain ventricles of bi-polar patients apposed to those without the condition.  note: there was no mention of bubbling or fizzing of the neck, or as i like to describe it; ice sizzling in water.  However this did prompt me to learn a little about the brain ventrical system a bit.  Seems that the fourth ventrical ( which allows drainage and flow of cerebral fluid is located at the top of the spinal chord, the choroid plexes as i understand.  the fluid is responsible for various things, protecting the brain from some toxins is one.  But that was not what interested me so much.  It was the rate of change the fluids pace at.  The text said the turnover is roughly 7 hours, thats 3 times a day.  Also the location is like a crossroads for the fluids of which i understood by the simple illustrations.

What does this all mean?  I have no freakin idea, but it may help me on a jeopardy category one day.  Next, I am going to look at the hunger examples as I would have never made that connection.  Till the next time my fizzle-fried friends!  

I went to my doctor recently I had brought it up to her. I told her it started happening when I got futher along in my pregnacy I gained a dromatic nearly 100 lbs by time I had my daughter I had alot of water retention and I think I still do and when I had my daughter and had the epoduro the fizzy sensation went crazy I even said something to a nurse about it I was scared she didnt say anything but it only happend when i was being injected in the "spin" maybe a pressure issue? tenseness? who knows but .. I have lost some of the weight after having my daughter and the fizzy chilled out but I just started gaining weight again back at what I was when i had my daughter .. she told me that since i pointed out towards the end of pregnacy that stuck in her mind and also with me still being over weight and the weight i used to be fore I had my daughter she thinks that when your nody is going through stress it does weird things to release it and sometimes your body just have weird sensations she gave her self as an example that nearly everyday on one spot of her spin feels like theres a sticker there and she doesnt know why.. obviously she had it checked out theres nothing wrong with her spin.. but long story short she believes its stress, tenseness, and weight issue.. so Im reporting to her in 3 months Im going to try to lose as much weight as I can safely and try things to help me relax maybe get a back or neck massager to untense my back and shoulders. I do notice sometimes I have it with hunger pain sometimes I dont. sometimes it just happens randomly. alot of times it happens when I walk and do some movement that invalves bending neck or upper torso area. to me it sounds liek a tense muscle trying to release .. but this isnt an offical dianosis just a theory.. also to add to it like 20 min ago I had almost constent fizzy sensation.. I took a hot shower theres no more sensation and I notice at night before I go to bed I crack my back.. for me it helps.. and what Im going to do to change is eat better "healthier foods" , drink more water, get off soda pop, excerise, get a massager for back and neck.. for me I think its tension and weight issue and ALOT of stress and I have been stressed out alot lately being a single mom working all day and sleeping for few hrs a night.. your body can only handle so much before it starts doing weird things. I hope this helps. I know alot of peopel are commenting about this maybe it is a common thing and people are scared to say something because they immedatly think something is seriously wrong and may need surgery.. it could be as simple as changing the way you live.. Im trying it atleast I will do what I can on my part to see if its ME thats causing it.. good luck everyone
I've experienced fizzing at the base of my skull for probably the last 40 year - I'm 52 now.

I notice it's worse when I'm stressed, for me it's not connected to hunger.

I've often thought it feels like the blood is forcing it's way through a narrow part.

My mother die of an aneurysm so this does concern me somewhat.
`hi my name is mya and ive been haviing the exact same feeling expt it feels like theres some fluid build up in my   head   then some times it feels like there sir in my head witch is vere i dont no wht ty scaring becaus i dont no wht to   do      plese some one heeeeellllppppppppppppppp
  It seems that we can form a international union :-)  I am a chinese gril haven't been abroad.I search in chinese webs and find the same question.One of them says she is losing weight.Since I am a medical college student(chinese triditional),I am also trying to find whether books written hundreds of years mention it +_+III. I photograph brian CT and they say it's just find.I find same connections
1.I am fat (80kg )
2.when I was pupil,I had acute gastritis.
3.Once I took roller coaster when it start to run I felt my neck hit.

I find the voice which likes using straw to suck drinks in middle school.I thought it was parasite at first ,some parasite can live in oesophagus.I am hungry,they are uncomfortable? But I don't accept a gastroscope as it will make me more uncomfortable.
In any case,parasite is the first disturb we should rule out.
   I am sure Dr.House would not notice this kind of tiny problems.So, keep youself alive and find out the answer!!!
I am a 25 yr old male with pronounced Forward Neck Posture, especially bad gastritis, and a history of anxiety problems. I have had this sound/sensation in the back of my neck for at least 2 years. I also have a twitch in my upper right eyelid. If I lean my head to the left side, I believe that can cause the eyelid twitch. I have no other symptoms, although my balance has been worse lately. I think that is because I spend too much time leaning over a computer, and am generally inactive. I may have memory problems, but I cannot say that with certainty.

Also, I used to constantly "crack" my neck to relieve tension when I was younger.