Neurology Community
Fizzing sound in neck

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Fizzing sound in neck

Hi, for about a year now i have had this fizzing sound in my neck that occurs randomly, usually when i am just laying down. It doesnt occur when i am moving my head or anything, its usually just when i sitting still or laying down. It sounds like it is coming directly from the back of my neck and is starting to worry me. I also experience these weird pains in my head that come for about a second and then go and come back again every 10minutes or so. These pains are in 1 area in the back of my head in about a 1 square inch area.. Any ideas???
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Hi, I've had this ever since I was a child.
It's random, and I notice it when I'm lying down.
To me, it sounds like a small stream of bubbles traveling up the spinal column in my neck.

In the several years that I've been frequenting health boards, I've seen other people with this symptom, although I've never seen an explanation.

Wishing you the best,
Carol
Hi carol, thanks for your input. I like how you explained the sound it makes, it describes it perfectly, and i wasnt too worried about it until the weird "headaches" started. I am hoping its nothing, ive done plenty of research on this myself and i couldnt really find an explanation for it as well. That is why i made a post here, hoping a doctor would read my post and give me some input.
It is so interesting to hear a "bizarre" symptom and have other people jump in to say they've experienced the same thing!  I haven't a clue what could be causing the sensation you are describing.  

I have a symptom that I have been telling neurologists about for more than twenty years.  It is actually my most disabling problem, and they just look at me like I grew a new head.  Finally, reading these forums I found someone complaining of the same thing (I think).  It was reassuring, but he didn't know what it was either.

You seem to be describing what is called "ice pick" headaches.  These are stabbing or piercing pains that usually happen in about the same spot and last only seconds, but can be frightfully painful.  They are benign.  But I should ask if the scalp on that one inch area is very painful and tender to the touch.  Hee's a link on Icepick Headaches:

http://headaches.about.com/od/otherheadpain/a/ice_picks.htm

Quix

Hello, I actually have the same problem except it seems like the traveling bubbles are in my brain. My family thinks I am crazy, but every now and then (more often here recently) I feel or hear these little bubbles in my brain??? So am I crazy or could there be something wrong?
I feel this too.  It's like a fizzing sensation in the middle of my brain, almost like the foam on top of soda.  Happens most often when I am waking up in the mornings.  I have miagraines often and wonder if it might be related some way.  I'm usually not having a headache during these sensations though.
i also have that fizzing in the back of my neck i get it when iam really hungry
I can't believe I found other people with this problem.  I have had this fizzing sound in the back of my neck for about a year.  It almost only happens when I am lying down.  I can also feel a very mild sensation when it happens, but this is difficult to describe.  It only lasts for about 5 to 10 seconds and then stops, and then it will happen again in maybe 15 minutes.  I have not had any headaches, but I have had a lot of upper back pain recently and I am worried that something is wrong.  
Wow, I thought I was the only one who experienced this. I'd try to tell other people or my neurologist about it, and they'd just look at me funny.

I've had the same fizzing sound which runs up the back of my spine right in the neck area.  It sounds (and feels) like tiny bubbles fizzing up through there.

I've had some other neurological problems going on similar to MS, and wasn't sure if the tiny bubbles were a new symptom or what.  I guess it's not, but I wish I know what it was and what caused it.  
It happens to me as well.  Only while I'm sleeping.  It's usually followed by hunger pains in my stomach.  It's the most annoying thing and completely interrupts my sleep.  Which is why I'm on the internet at 5am trying to figure out whats wrong with me.  

It has happened in the past, but has been more intense over the last few months.  Told my PCP (Primary Care Physician)  He didn't seem to concerned over it.  Plus I've had X-Rays of my spine (not for this reason), and they said everything looked fine.
Wow.  I have had this EXACT issue for about two years now.  I can't believe other people on here are experiencing this.  I am having neck pain also that is causing headaches...but this always occurs in the morning while lying in bed or just changing positions, etc.  It is exactly like a very muted soda fizzing traveling up my spine into my neck.  It even tapers off in volume like a soda would towards the end of the pressure realease.  It lasts for 5-10 seconds and then it may happen one or two more times, depending on how long I lie there.  I went to a neck surgeon and explained this to him and he looked at me as though I was on something.  To know others are experiencing this is very helpful, but where are the docs to help out?  I keep worrying it is something with my cerebrospinal fluid leaking out or something crazy...
Wow, I thought I was completely losing it.  I have heard and can actually feel little air bubbles running up my cervical spinal cord for the past 2 years or so.  For about a year and a half it was only when I lay down at night, but as of late, I can hear and feel it randomly during the day too.  I have a history of migraines and severe headaches and thought maybe they were connected, but that is not the case.  I have worked in the medical field for 11 years and have never heard of this symptom from patients.  I am actually embarrassed to talk to a doctor about this because I am afraid they will look at me like I am crazy.  Any suggestions?  Has anyone received any type of answer or suggested diagnosis for this?  Please help!
I too get the fizzing sensation in the back of the neck, its not very often but it has happened since I was a child, the reason i'm looking here is that yesterday I had the fizzing in the top of my scalp, not unpleasant or painful but weird! I was hoping to find an explaination. I have always suffered with my ears, a mouth breather since childhood, I think I should have had my adenoids (adenoids) (sp) out, after a cold I am usually left 'bunged up' and half deaf (like when your ears pop during a flight but dont pop back' So i've been no help to anyone one else, but so good to know I am not the only one with an effervesant noggin!
I have that fizz at the base of my skull too, I remember having it in my teen years but I never told anyone, I thought they'd think I was nuts. It's mostly when I lay down. The past week or so though it's every 5-10 minutes when I'm laying down and occasionally when I'm standing up. I also get migraines and have problems with my spine, degeneration and stenosis, recent spinal surgeries, MRIs and no mention of anything abnormal other than the spine, no mention by the docs to me about, hey have you had fizzy brain? I never said anything to them but was hoping with the MRI they might see something and finally explain what this is.
I wish someone would know. It was a little creepy in the beginning but it's happened for so long that when I go a day or so without it that is when I worry.
If anyone gets an answer please post. Thanks in advance!
i get this too..but have been diagnosed with ME so thought it was just part of the many weird and not very wonderful symptoms that it throws up
I have been fizzing in the back of my neck for 4 years now, this usually occurs when im hungry and comes along side a hunger growl. People dont understand what im talking about when i try and explain. ive just got used to it now but would love to know whats causing it

its like someone is opening a bottle of pop at the base of my skull where my neck is
I have had this sensation as well for my twenties and thirties (I am 30 now).  Like everyone else it ususally happens when I am laying down but not always.  Sometimes when I am upright it happens.  What I have noticed is that it seems to occur the most when my stomach growls.  

My theory, and this is just a wild guess, is that a gland that works with or in the stomach is in close proximity to the spine in some folks, and when it goes to work the sound of it releasing acids (or doing whatever it is doing) actually travels up the spinal cord by conduction and your ears pick it up when the sound gets closer to your inner ear - ie, the neck region.  What's weird is that the vibration / fizzing is so intense sometimes that it really does sound like my neck is the origin of the fizzing but since it happens almost everytime in tandem with a stomach growl, I have to like my theory.  

One time I got really worried about it and so I intentionally became hungry (as to elicit the stomach growling) and I laid in bed in silence to see if I could create the fizzing.  I indeed was able to replicate it by doing this and thus I have tied the two together in a cause/effect sense.

Please post more or let me know what you think about this in addition to your own observations.

Good health, everyone.
I call it rainstick noise. People look at me like I am crazy when I describe it, I am glad to see I am not alone, please post any new findings mine is in my neck
I have related this to hunger as well. Also I get it more so when stressed. It is like a rainstick noise, soda pop, or sand running down a tube in my neck. It happens most while lying down but now I hear when going down steps. Has anyone found a doc who understands what this is yet? My doc said try physical therapy has anyone tried this and does it work? On last thing my c7 neck vertabrae is slightly inflammed according to a  pt.  THANKS
Mine started about a year ago, and it happens mutliple times a day (mostly when I'm hungry)... I've talked to my doctor about it and he said that I may have to go see a gastro-intestinologist (sp).. but have yet to go. It's really hard to explain to anyone, and rather embarassing when in a quite room with others (like a meeting or whatever). It's definitly audible and others can hear it. Some people describe it as a clicking sound.. I hope somebody knows what this is and how to get it to go away.. I can't think of anything that changed a year ago that would cause this.

I do know, however, that I have diverticulosis or Diverticulitis, I forget.. (I found out when I was in high school and had a kidney stone-- 9 years ago). I don't know if this has anything to do with it.
Missy, I have the fizzy noise as well and have mentioned it to several doctors, a neurologist, a primary care doc and an ENT and none of them know what it is. I have also mentioned it to my physical therapist and he has never heard of it either. I get mine mostly when laying down. The way you describe it as a rain stick sound is exactly how mine sounds. I had been trying to pinpoint the best sound to describe it and rain stick is really accurate. I have had this for a few months now. It is simillar to the sound my stomach makes when hungry but I get the sensation in my neck when not hungry as well. I think they are just similar sounds but maybe not related.
I have had this for a few years and I even kinda liked the sensation running up my neck because usually that meant my neck didn't hurt at that time, it was never when I was hungry, but I do have allot of gastro porblems.  It was always when I was lying watching tv with my neck propped forward up on a pillow.  I do crack my neck and have tension all of the time, it seems that when this happens it is when I am relaxed and it makes me think it is pent up ...energry if you could call it that releasing finally.
I am so glad that I am not insane.  I have had this since I was kid, always when I first wake up, but now more recently I get it at random times during the day.  I have also noticed that when I walk I will hear it in time with the steps I take.  That kinda got me worried.  It does sound like gas fizzing though, so maybe the stomach explination is a good theory.  
Do any of you have an illness or disease that you know of that could be causing this? Perhaps we all have something in common. I've been experiencing this sensation off and on, usually at night for about a month now. I'd be interested to hear more from you all.
Wow, that's just wild. I had a lot of the fizzing last night and got up early to look it up online. I could never really even describe the sound so I was not expecting to find anything on the Internet about it. So I am now blown away by seeing that other people experience it as well.

For me it's like fizzing and bubbles being released in the base of my skull, in the neck somewhere. I can't really place how long I've had this, but it's been many years and I mostly don't pay attention to it. What I have noticed about it is that it always stops immediately if I move my head at all, just to start again if I am lying down. I get it while driving too, but I just move my head a little (like fixing a crick in my neck) and it's gone.

I'm not sure what to make of the hunger theory. I have never considered that connection. What makes it unlikely for me is that I tend to eat pretty late at night, so I shouldn't be getting hungry when I go to lie down. I wouldn't discount this possible connection, though. So far, for all I know, it's the only guess anyone's made - it doesn't seem like neurologists or GPs are really familiar with this "symptom" at all.

It is certainly possible that all of us have something in common, other than the fizzing sound, but in terms of medical problems. I myself have hypertension, sleep apnea, some mild back problems, migraines, and am battling with being overweight.

I am glad to see I am not alone with this weird sound in my head. I would not have even known how to try and describe it, should I ever have come up with the nerve to ask a physician about it.
I'M NOT INSANE!!! WOOHOO  i have had this since i was a teenager. usually comes when i'm really hungry and frankly i think it kinda tickles.  my husband and family thinks i'm insane. i had a friend listen to it in high school and she said it kinda sounded like a fly buzzing sound.  very strange.  i've had issues with my stomach for years but am in the process of figuring it out....i'll ask my doctor about the fizzy :) everyone else i know thinks i'm crazy why not LOL  
Wow, this is the first site I have seen where people know what I'm talking about. This usually happens to me at the end of the day when I'm relaxing on the couch. My girlfriend heard it once and asked me "what was that noise" I thought only I could hear it. It usually feels good to me. I have often thought it was associated with spinal fluid motion. I received the same look from my doctor as the rest of you. Like Zebolt I also have apnea and am mildly overweight.
It's so cool that other people experience this.  Anyone I try to tell looks at me weird.  I just tell them that when my stomach growls it feels and sounds like my spinal fluid gurgles in my neck.  Ive only noticed it when I get hungry, and I never get headaches or anything with it.  Therefore, I think it has something to do with being hungry.  But I can make the sound change if I move my neck around.  Kind of like it is spinal fluid and by moving my neck Im giving it other places to flow.  I would love to get a true explanation for what it is, but for now Ill take comfort in knowing that Im not alone.
I have had the same symptoms for about 9 months now!! I also describe it as a rainstick sound. My doctor had no idea what it is but did not seem concerned about it.
As far as medical issues, I am overweight by about 20 pounds and have migraines, reflux, and anxiety/depression.
To everyone: Please check http://***************/chiari-malformation.html for information about Chiari I Malformation and compare your symptoms - especially those of you with migraines and neurological symptoms! You might be amazed to find answers to questions your docs haven't answered thus far. I endured 25 years of being misdiagnosed and am still amazed by how many neurologists just shake their heads since they have not been educated about Chiari - and tell you your symptoms are all in your head. Well, DUH!  The Chiari Institute's site also provides some good info: http://www.northshorelij.com/12.cfm They are the leaders in the field with research and surgery. A mecca of sorts.

I had decompression surgery 5 years ago on 23 Sept. at Hershey Medical Center in Hershey PA and am doing well. I didn't have the "fizzies" before surgery, though others with Chiari have, but I've recently started to have them - usually at night. I'll give it a bit of time, but part of me wonders if I might not have a bit of CFS blockage again that is released (with fizz)  when I change head positon, or if the dural patch that was put in has a bit of a leak...it feel like the back of my throat is being sprayed but from the behind my throat. A very weird sensation, no?

Please email me directly if I can be of help, as I might not moniter this site much, okay?
Well it's nice to know that I am not alone.  I have been experiencing this "fizzy sound" for the past few weeks now.  It only happens when I am lying down, usually when I first wake-up in the morning and lasts for about 1-3 seconds.  Sometimes there will be several of these sounds shortly spaced apart.  I am 9mos pregnant and have "mild pre-eclampsia" (elevated blood pressure).  I was wondering if it could be related to the blood pressure.  I don't have any other symptoms (i.e. no headaches).  Has anyone ever had a Dr take this seriously?  I plan on seeing a Dr about this after I deliver my baby (any day now!).  

Wishing you all the best.  
SerenaGrace:
If you have pre-eclampsia, take supplemental magnesium to help lower your blood pressure, at least 400 mg. daily.
You can also eat raw almonds, as they are high in magnesium.

I also had pre-eclampsia, and nausea that was awful.  I found out many years later that low magnesium can cause morning sickness and pre-eclampsia.

Carol

I've just recently developed this, first noticed it around June of this year. I'm 36, white male, and have never experienced this before. It's exactly as others describe--usually experience the sensation after lying down to bed, both when first reclining then throughout the night. It rarely occurs when standing or sitting, but the times it does coincide with my stomach rumbling. I usually eat right before bed and haven't noticed much rumbling there, but it does occur without it in bed. No pain but it feels really strange.

My medical history is--gastroenteritis when about 15; removal of an enlarged but benign lymph node when about 26. A couple broken bones but no other stuff. History of insomnia, depression, and anxiety. Mild high blood pressure at times, other times it's normal. The only medication I'm on is Seroquel as a sleep aid, 50mg a night.

In about November of last year I had a kidney stone blasted through a catheterization. Around December of last year I began to gain weight, I'm 5'7" and was 150 for over a decade. Now I weigh 182, I guess gaining a few pounds a month, but have been steady at 182 for a couple months. I thought it was a side effect of Seroquel's increasing my appetite, but that it could also be a metabolic change, or some psych thing that made me eat more.

I'm really glad to see others have experienced this, and that you're still alive! I've been pretty concerned lately, and have wrapped my neck in a towel recently when sleeping to try to help. Not sure if it did.

Oh, one thing that might be a factor--I've been a very heavy soda pop drinker ever since I was in my teens, usually almost an entire 2-liter bottle a day. But I don't notice any acid reflux or stomach aches. Also, though this probably has nothing to do with it, about the same time the symptoms started I also began wearing contact lenses again. I've worn them for years off and on in the past but it's been a few years since this time. Can't remember if the symptoms occurred before or after I started these new lenses.

Hope someone finds a diagnosis! Wish you all the best and thanks for posting, glad there are others with this condition. Not that I wish it on y'all heh.

Wow! I too am amazed to see how many people experience exactly what I am experiencing!  I hear the same "rain stick" sound at the base of my skull.  I hear it at night when I go to bed or when I wake up.  It has made me not want to go to sleep.  I even heard it when I was just reading a book in bed.  I had a CT scan which came out normal.  I thought of asking for the kind with the dye because I had the kind without.  I don't care if my doctor thinks I'm crazy I know it's real and I plan to get more follow up appointments.  I've only had it for one month but it has me scared.  I'm glad to see some people have had it for a long time.  I am 41 years old.  I am a little overweight.  I never drink soda and I've never wore contacts.  I stopped drinking alcohol hoping that would help, but it didn't.  I rarely get head aches, but like one person said sometimes I feel the bubbles somewhere else in my skull.  I did get acid reflux for the first time ever recently so maybe they are connected, but who knows.  I recently can hear a grinding sound when I turn my head too so I thought it could be linked to neck aging.  But like people described it's like bublles rushing up the back of the skull for a few seconds without pain.
Wow, I'm so glad that I came accross this thread. I've had these same symptoms for the past 7 years. I've been to countless dr's and had one GP diagnose it as MS which thankfully a Neuroligist said was a misdiagnosis. I've had an MRI, CT scans and had my hearing testing. After approx my 5th 2nd opinion I was told that some people can hear the fluid in their spinal colum and she thought that was what I had but I could never understand why if that was the case it started all of a sudden when I was 23 and hadn't been there all along. It's a strange sound and I have been describing it as similar to when you open a soft drink can too, so it's great to see that others are also describing it that way. People look at you like your crazy so I'm so grateful to find out that I am not alone. Alaura, for the past 3 years I have also had the sound sort of like clicking in time with my walking. It started when I was pregnant so I put it down to the weight gain. I've since seen a chiropractor and had xrays of my neck and back and nothing showed up as abnormal. It's really annoying and leaves me with a sick feeling in my stomach. Not because of the sound I can hear but because I've never been able to get a correct diagnosis or even one where the dr was 50% sure that they were correct so it's more from the not knowing and worrying that something could be wrong that the dr's have missed. It's great to meet you all though as now I don't feel so alone and like a crazy person, lol.
Yep me too. ive had it since i was a kid.

Thanks, its good to know that im not the only one. i thought it was some kind of short circut! lets hope its just related to the hunger!

Does anyone else also getting a twitching of their upper eye lid? wasn't sure whether it could be related to the fizzy sound.
Wow - I cannot believe there are so many people with this symptom! I've had this sensation my entire life - as others said - usually when I'm at rest, not doing anything to provoke it. I've told numerous doctors about it and they looked at me like I was insane.

I always said, it sounds like someone opens a can of pop in the back of my head. I have always been so worried that it was the bone deteriorating and I was hearing it happen!! Talk about making you nuts.

I wish there was some explanation for it. I always thought I was alone with my symptom, but with so many people having it, you'd think someone would know what causes it!

Thanks for sharing everyone - I don't feel so crazy now.
Wow - your response shocked me. I've been having this fizzing sound my whole life, and guess what? I'm to undergo a CT scan next week to check for Arnold Chiari Malformation. And, I didn't even mention this symptom to my doctor, but he's pretty convinced this is what I'm suffering from due to all my other symptoms. It wasn't until I started learning about ACM that I thought I should look into the fizzing noise. It makes a lot sense now that I know about this disorder.

Just last night I had the "fizzing/bubbling" sound that started at my neck and travel up the base of my skull. The sound lasted for about 5 seconds. This inavitably triggered high blood pressure and a panic attack 20 minutes after. Knowing this I immediately took aspirin as blood thinner and subsequently my vitals were normal again. This happened to me before perhaps having such an episode 3-5 times a year, but it never triggered high blood pressure. I am worried it could lead to a stroke so now I will be watching what I eat and exercising more frequently. I am still searching for answers as to what might be causing this but am glad to have found this forum.
This sound is Cerebral Spinal Fluid moving through the channel at the base of the skull.  I have it, too, and my pmcp told me that's what it is.
Yes, I too have occasional twitching of my upper eyelid.  Other issues I have are tinnitis and migraines. I hear a "crunching" noise when I turn my head from side to side.  If I put my hand on the back of my neck and turn my head I can't hear it.
I also have been experiencing this fizzing sensation in my neck and head, and it mostly concides with hunger and happens after my stomach growls.  I have also had a twitching in my left eyelid.  My wife has also had this for many years.  I am amazed at how many people have posted comments with the identical symptoms - I thought I was losing my mind.  I wonder if a visit to a chiropracter would help.  Has anyone had any back pain/discomfort when this happens? Perhaps something in the back is out and needs an adjustment.
I hear that odd fizzing sound in my head when my stomach is where I feel it.  It seems as though it happens when I am hungry.  Maybe it is because the blood sugar has dropped too low.  I have no idea!  I sometimes feel like I have motion sickness at the same time.  Like if I move around too much I will hurl ( I never do though).  Seems like it goes away if I eat protein.  I am just worried something will occur while I am driving.  Is this hypoglycemia?  I have no idea.  I just want it to stop.  
Have had the fizzing as long as I can remember! My sister does too. So cool to find that we are not bonkers!

Penn
I have had this for many years.  I had never discussed it with anyone but happened to mention it to my wife last night.  She wants me to call her over to listen to my neck next time it happens.  It always happens when I am hungry and stomach is growling.  Not together with the growling at the same second but during the same period of time.  It's only at the point where the skull seems to attach to the spine.  It sounds like something is fizziling its way upward.  I have never had any pain or discomfort associated with it.  Just odd that it sounds so loud to me but not to others.  I too am a little relieved to know I am not alone with this thought.  I too have had my Doctor look at me like I was nuts when I mentioned it.  I've never really brought it up since then, to anyone.  Has anyone ever had pain associated with the sound?  I haven't.
I'va had no pain. Mine doesn't go with hunger either, though a lot of people above said theirs does. Very wierd!
I have the same thing.  It started about a year and a half ago, just a few months after finding a lesion on my brain -I have no idea if this is connected.  The several doctors, neurologist and neurosurgeon that I've been to have yet to give me a decisive diagnosis.  We do know that it is not a tumor, not lupus or ms (thank God), otherwise I'm a mystery, it seems.

I've tried to mention the fizzling sensation/sound at the base of my skull in the back of my neck to every doctor that I've been to.  I've described it as feeling like hundreds of tiny bubbles rising up in a straw..  It's only ever happened while lying down and is usually followed by a feeling of hunger, or emptiness in my stomach.  It is painless, but disconcerting nonetheless.

I've had it happen one time with great intensity compared to the 'normal fizzing'.  The sound and the feeling was amplified and lasted for about 10 seconds rather than the normal 1-3 seconds.  It scared me half to death.  The circumstance was very different though:  I was having an MRI done with contrast.  The intense fizzing occurred when the dye was injected, through an IV in my arm.  So... it's possible that is has to do with blood flow?  Or maybe the injected dye altered Intracranial pressure?

I know that a lot of you wonder what your doctor will think of you when you mention this too him/her.  I'll admit to feeling like an idiot a few times, in fact one of my neurologist (after giving me a bizarre look) told me "Let's just deal with this (lesion) and not go looking for other problems."  He then ushered me out of his office. Gah!  He obviously thought I was making it up or just wasting his time. lol  But... not every doctor you mention this too will look at you like you're crazy, (and so what if they do?!)  Just mention it to every doctor/specialist you see, maybe one of them will have heard about it before, or will know a colleague that has.  The only way to nail this down is to ask.  For all we know it may be symptom of something more serious.

Oh, and if any of you do find out anything please post it here.  Don't forget about the rest of us still searching for an answer!

Also, it might be a good idea for us to list other medical problems, routines, medications, anything that may have triggered the onset or our 'fizzing' or that it could be a side effect of.  There must be something in common.

Personal info:
Female, 29 years
I use the computer daily, for many hours.
I was a smoker, but quit about a year ago.
High level of stress (mother-in-law / husband) for several years
Not overweight at onset of 'fizzing' though I've put on a few pounds since I quit smoking.
Never used drugs
Rarely ever drink alcohol

Medical History / operations / procedures:
Tonsils removed at 17 years
Dental Problems
Lesion found on right parietal lobe at 27 years
Lumbar puncture
MRIs with and without contrast

Medications:
Aspirin 325mg / day (just in case lesion is result of minor stroke)
Keppra 500mg x2 /day (in case of seizures from lesion)
The wonders of google!!  I had the same fizzing sound every so often (when I'm laying down) I just decided to google it and lo and behold...I didnt tell anyone about it either for fear they'll think im nuts :) I was a bit worried glad it seems like it's not a real problem.

About me: I'm female, 19, no medical problems or past history
this has been driving me wacked...ive noticed it for about 6 months,fizzing in my throat..only when i wake up in the morning
im a 35 yr old female...drinks beer daily and smokes...bad habits yeah i know...but i have been told in the past that i have acid reflex...havent noticed that for awhile...but i do notice the fizzing...and yeah i do think about food when i first wake up...so im hungry also...and to add with it ...i do know the sharp pain  in the head that last for a few seconds....any docters out there willing to take a stab at the symptoms?
Yea, I'm only 19, and Ive had this "noisy problem for about a year. It started at the base of my neck( the bone that sticks out the furthest on your neck) and since I have graduated it has moved to the base of my skull.  I too hear it in the morning mostly, when i wake up, and i too have the stomach growl sometimes before and sometimes after the sensation.  It doesn't pain me or anything, and everything seems to function well. I've been told by a few sources that it is do to a major amount of stress.  although it IS annoying because you don't know what it is, but has anyone ever felt the sensation itself to be kind of relieving?  going back to the part about a lot of stress, I became depressed right after high school because I was out of my NORMAL routine.  Because before i graduated I had the same routine since I was a child.  seems to me, that if everyone that is experiencing the sensation has a load of stress, anxiety, depression, etc. then that might be the source.  THE STOMACH GROWLING MAY BE AN UPSET STOMACH DUE TO STRESS, THUS TRIGGERING THE SENSATION.  last time i went to the doctor, I got in debt 500 $ to find out the doctors had no clue what i was talking about. sounds to me like its a stress related sensation. ; ) cheers.  P.S. The more I ignore it, the less I actually feel the sensation, but I do have to admit sometimes the fizzing feels quite good.
Yay!  I'm not crazy! I have the exact same symptoms that most of you describe.  I love the rain stick description!  I also have never told anyone about it out of fear that they'll think I'm being a hypochondriac.  This has been going on for about a year and a half.  Always in the morning and usually when my stomach growls.  I had been thinking that it could have to do with the fact that I take pre-natal vitamins before I go to bed.  They kinda upset my stomach so, maybe there is something to the two symptoms going together.  Anyway, hopefully we'll get some answers!
What a relief to see so many others experiencing this.  I have the fizzies, too.  They generally happen when I'm hungry, and I notice them in the back of my neck/head.  I've recently noticed a bit of reflux.  The fizzing also seems to go in tandem with that.  But most of time with hunger, and often in the morning.  I mentioned this to my cousin and she has it too.  I had an x-ray recently and am missing the natural curve of my neck (probably from computer use).  Outside of that, no known problems.  Cheers all and good health!
...more than cool!  
That's for me and not for those of you, who suffer from many of the med issues.
Here's my attempt at brevity.  Using same format as SilverFoxx.

Personal info:
* Female, 35 - Happily married
* Computer use all day, almost every day
* Light smoker (5 -6 cigs/day)
* High stress level, due to OCD personality
* Only been overweight for about 10 years and am currently about 28 pounds over.
* No history of drug use
* Abused alcohol in college, but rarely drink, now
* Follow very classic "Migraine diet" avoiding chocolate, red wine, nuts, aged cheeses and MSG

Medical History
* Migraineur (Acute & Intractable)
* PCOS (insulin resistant, and my sugar tends to be low)
* Endometriosis
* TMJ
* OCD
Operations/procedures
* IV DHE 2007
* Ovariohysterectomy 2006
* Cholecystectomy 2004
* Laser lap for endo 1993, 1995
* Removal of peri-urethral cyst 1991
* Removal of adnoids (approx.) 1976
+ MRI found no abnormality

Medications:
* Metformin 2000 mg a.m.
* Cymbalta 60 mg a.m.
* Neurontin 600 mg a.m. and 900 mg p.m.
* Nexium p.m.
* Vivelle dot patch

Searched for "fizzing in back of head," because my Migraine is ruining my life.

I have this too.  It is a sensation that feels good -- so I never attributed it to a problem.  I thought it was normal -- but when I explained it to my girlfriend she thought I was nuts.  So I looked it up.

My concern was this was the sound of blood travelling to my head.  In which case the artery is constricted the flow, causing backup -- and the 'fizzing' sound comes when the pressure build enough to push the blood through.

Does anyone share this concern?
Sometimes this caould also be the CSF fluid moving ....if u only have the sounds and no other symptoms, u may want to tell ur PC and just wait...however if u r experiencing ne thing else...call ur dr and ask for testing.

if u don't get more responces try starting a new thread.

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
I've had this same "fizzy" sound everyone keeps describing in the base of my skull, like where my spine meets it, for about 2 years and I'm tired of everyone (mainly my family) thinking I'm frikking crazy when I try to describe it to them. I do not get headaches because of this and the only time it seems to happen is when I smoke a joint and get the munchies and my stomach seems to growl every time right before the "fizzing" begins, yeh yeh I know, but seriously.

The "fizzing" usually only last for about a second or two but it usually does this multiple times with maybe 30 seconds to a minute in between. As soon as I eat something it seems to stop until the next time I get hungry and my stomach growls. F*cking weird, at least now I know that I'm not the only one.
I have felt this same thing only mine is in my head, sometimes at the front of my brain sometimes in the back. I started asking friends if they ever experinced Fizzing in their heads and they all thought I was crazy. My boyfriend was lying beside me this weekend and the "Fizzing" happened, he gave me a strange look and I asked if he heard it, he did! Now he knows I'm not crazy. I wouldn't mind it but I hate the feeling, I can feel the "bubbles" in my head when it happens. It does tend to happen when I am hungry so I guess to avoid it I should just stay full. O well, if anyone every figures it out let us all know. I can't believe nobody is doing medical research on this.
I've being having this fizzy sound in my next for as long as I can remember...that's almost 24 years! I just got another fizzy sound again so i decided to check google and that led me here.

I still haven't found any answer to this "problem". I thought that searching google will finally put my mind at rest but since I still ahve no answers...I just can't get it off my mind! And I've never told anyone. I don't want them t think i'm mad you see...

I used to think it happened only when i place my head in an uncomfortable position for long. Just like when you lie on your arm for too long and get the weird sensation later. But that isn't the case, even when I'm totally relaxed the sound comes.

All I want is an answer...any answer. Okay not just any answer...I don't want to be dieing slowly or something.
I have has this happening to me for about 5 years right after my wife had our first kid. I too can get this *Fizzing* feeling coming up my neck, and i also feel upset stomach. maybe it the foods we are eating, could be late night eating i know i like to eat a snack before hitting the sack. I'm as puzzled as all of you and would like to figure out just what this is. i do know i could eat better I'm not over weight or anything and i try to keep fit but i only eat once a day and maybe that is what is triggering it with me, *not to mention it only happens in the morning, and am up for around 45 mins.
Well I cant believe so many people are having this experience and no doctors really know what it is. My clicking, fizzing, rainstick sounds in the back of my neck started when I was pregnant, about 2 years ago.  They happen while lying down for about 2-3 seconds. But no connection with the hunger or stomach growling, well good luck to us in finding something out about it-Thanks
Well,I have experienced this fizzing sensation and fluid sensation in my head/neck for as long as I can remember.I remember telling my family about the 'Fizzing in my head' when I was about 8 yrs old.My Mum and Dad just thought I was using a funny word for a headache and they laughed! I just accepted this as being natural I suppose but have become more curious as to what it could be as I have got older (I'm now 25)

Just two days ago I found this site and was shocked to hear that so many people are experiencing exactly the same thing and because nobody has found out exactly what is causing this it led me to research this further.I read some of the comments and I notice that one lady has a neck allignment problem and there were also some other comments such as sleep apnea and breathing through the mouth which made me think.

I tend to breath through my mouth and I have been having some strange symptoms for about a year now with my breathing/throat which I haven't been able to find any information on.The problem is that it is extremely painful and frightening to yawn.My chest and throat seems to tighten right up and make it agony for me when I do,I make a very loud gasping noise and feel like something is going to happen to my lungs (sounds silly I know) It really is very scary.I cant talk for a few minutes after as I have terrible pain and throbbing in my throat.It hurts so bad to take a deep breath also.

I met my Partner 4 years ago and he said that since he has met me he has noticed that my breathing is strange when I'm asleep and he also said that he is sure there is something wrong with my spine.I seem to have a hump at the back of my neck and no natural curve there and my ears do not seem to be in line with my shoulders.When he mentioned this I new exactly what he was talking about as I have always thought my neck/head looked slightly strange/forward from the side but never really thought anything of it.My partner has Scoliosis so he knows quite a lot about the spine.

I never put any of my symtoms (symptoms) together untill now but my research led me to think that some of us may have something which is called Forward head posture.

Forward head posture (curvuture of the spine) it means exactly what it says and it can cause many symptoms.Some are ..... Migraines which I personaly never really experienced up untill 2 years ago and now I get them pretty often,Sleep apnea if you read about it you will understand why,burning pain at the top of your back,chest tightness,jaw pain,neck and back pain and many other symptoms.I have experienced everything they talk about and many other things which could quite probably be linked to this problem and I am quite sure this Fizzy thing could be linked also.I wonder if the stomach is causing this noise (I do drink a lot of Coke,like someone else mentioned but I haven't noticed this sensation when I'm hungry) and maybe if we have a problem with our spine that is somewhat causing us to hear these noises(Someone send something like this before)

I really don't know what is causing this but it's clear that not everyone is getting it but forward head posture is becoming quite common and I am pretty sure this is what I have so much so that I have made an appointment with my doctor to get my spine looked at which my Partner has been telling me to do for sometime now.

I really urge everyone to take an hour and look up about Forward head posture,it may not be the answer for all or any but I really hope so.

I have also put on a great amount of weight in the last 3 years which is quite strange as I have never been overweight and suffer from severe deppresion (which is another syptom (symptom)) and Agaraphobia.I also have very large breasts and this could be another reason for spinal problems.

Please carry on sending comments as maybe we can help one-another understand what is causing these fizzies.

With best wishes
Emma
Hi Folks, well im another one you can add to your list.  The sensation for me is like listening to a can of Cola after you have had it open for about 20 mins.. bubbles!

I have had this for around 1-2 years and maybe only get symptoms once a month, recently i have been getting 5 or 6 a day..?  This could be stress related as ive had a very tough week..

Unfortunately with me, i get a pain when it happens.. which *****.

I get it in the base of skull, bottom right corner above neck behind and down from right ear.

I am booking into the doctor and will let you know what they say (if anything).

Like the majority of you, everyone thought i was mad when i tried to tell them.  

Perhaps it might be worthwhile to get an MRI, US or CT to see if there is anything going on inside my noggin.

Alan M (30)
UK
I've always had a weird sensation too - mostly happens when lying down (especially so when my head's turned to the side), but also occasionally when standing.  Though I wouldn't refer to mine as a 'fizz' -

Right at the base of the skull/ beginning of the spine, I get a weird crunching noise & sensation, followed by a very weird gurgle then a big swoosh (of what seems like fluid).  The only thing I can think of, is that it's most likely CSF (cerebral spinal fluid).  Logically speaking, it seems as though maybe it's getting kind of backed up (possibly from the position I'm in - maybe the cervical vertebrae is pinching off the pathway for which it normally flows *hence the crunching'?, the gurgle/bubbling may be the CSF backing up, then once the pathway is unblocked again, that backup of CSF rushes up it's normal pathway?

I, too, have asked several doctors, only to get a baffled look b/c they have no idea of what I'm talking about (aggrevating).

Though I'm no expert on Chiari Malformation, I would only imagine this would be a common occurence for them - ???  

I, myself has EDS (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome) very severely, so I always have a huge problem w/ joints that sublux & dislocate, including my spine - which is rapidly degenerating (& have a host of literally crippling injuries)  Chiari is common in EDS also, but I don't believe that I have it.

Whatever the case may be, I believe this may be the most logical explanation for the fizzing, bubbling, gurgle sensation that (I can't believe) so many people also experience.  In which case, your stomach pangs would have absolutely nothing to do with it as well (and probably wouldn't mention to a doctor if you want to be taken truly seriously by them - no offense).  

If anyone knows a Spinal Neurologist/ Surgeon, I'd give it a go to ask about the possibility.  Though I would definitely use more technical medical terminology to describe it all   :-)    at least to come across as more sincere about the whole matter.  

For what it's worth, it is a very weird sensation to say the least.  For you of those that get accompanying headaches, you might want to take a look doing a search on Google for CSF leaks, sinuses, etc.   If the symptoms sound a bit too familiar, you may want to go see a specialist (not a regular old general practioner) to be on the safe side.

Gurgling sound stopped! Now Painful headaches wake me at night. They last about 5 minutes, after i move my head around, they go away. My eyes even feel like they are bulging out. anyone else have this?
Thanks K
I am a 23 yr. old white female, and I have had this same annoying symptom for as far back as I can remember. My medical history is: Kawaski Syndrome, Depression, Anxiety, had some surgeries, etc. I am also a heavy soda drinker myself. For awhile this always made me wonder then tonight when I was laying down with my baby boy to get him to sleep it happend again, and its brought me here at 530am.  I would love to know what in the world this is, what causes it, etc! I used to think I was just going nuts myself, but looked it up, well looked up the fizzing noise (which btw I am hungry) cause thats what I have, in my neck, and it lead me here, and to read that so many other people have had this, makes me feel relieved but also irrated, doctors should now be well aware of what causes this, as so many of us have it... There is something, someone, somewhere should know about this, like I said especially with so many of us having the same symptoms. Atleast we all know that its nothing life threatening cause most of us have had it for years! Good luck and hopefully someone will find out something about it. I will be doing more research and if I find anything out, I will for sure give you all the heads up!
I have also had the fizzing in the base of my skull.I hear the noise and it feels like somthing is moving upward into my brain.
    When it started, it seemed to move in a straight path from the middle of the neck up to the base of my skull. At some point I noticed that it seemed to be getting longer and branching out. I know I was young when it started. Probably between 12-14 and at the time I had also begun experiencing other nuerological problems.
    I never told any doctors about the noise. At the time it didn't happen very frequently. Around the same time in my life,I started expeiriencing visual migraines. I also started having really unusual dreams and panic attacks.
    The year I turned 16 things got really bad for two months or so. I passed out three times. I don't know how long I was unconsious the first time but the two times after that I fell but did not lose consiousness. After that, I experienced what seemed like a stroke. The right side of my face went numb and my arm and the leg soon became numb as well. I thought it might be low blood suger so I got some food but I couldn't even tell if my mouth was closed while I was chewing and my speech began to slurr. When my family finally took me to the hospital the symptoms had already faded so the doctors didn't belive me. Another doctor said that it is perfectly normal for teenage girls to pass out. I still do not fell sensations especially hot or cold quite as well in my right side and I still get numb spells though not as bad.
      I began having balance problems as well. Some sicknesses mention a drunken gait, I think that describes it well(though I do not drink so I have nothing to compare it to). I think my balance is slowly getting worse. Sometimes I just almost fall over for no reason and I also almost run into edges of doorways or corners of walls. I sometimes can't walk in a strait line unless I really concentrate. I also get confused at times. I suspected MS but I am afraid to ask doctors because I have told them of other problems and they always think I am crazy.
      On a side note,may be completely unrealated, I think I have what is known as reynauds syndrom (syndrome), it can indicate other things but inorder to get a diagnosis the attack has to occur in front of a doctor. Reynuads is when the capillaries in your digits(fingers and toes) spasm causing the circulation to cut off. Your fingers or toes will get white blotches on them or turn blue or purple. It happens when you are cold or nervous and will only go awy once you warm the effected area. The affected area also turns numb.I have poor circulation so some of these things may not be related to the fizzing sound.
        I don't hear the sound when I am hungry but I have heard and felt it twice while writing this. It happens to me quite frequently now.

I don't know if all of these problems are conected, but I thought I would write them any way just in case any one else has the same symptoms.
I am on 3 years now, my neck feels like a bag of chips,i get a crackling,swishing,rushing sound back of neck when i walk and sleep, it's like a gush of fluid mid neck to base of skull last about 3-5 seconds and returns every 5 minutes or less no pain just drives me nuts.I went to a gasto and he pilled me up with the max dose of nexium also had 2 scopes done and a 24 hr ph test nothing found saw an ent no hearing problem.I threw out my back for 2yrs but everithing good now    related? I was healthy never saw a doctor before36,now 40 yrs old i wonder how long this will last . Let's keep working on this to find a solution, alot of doctors just love to hand out candy and send us on our way  not fun at all  good luck everyone
I have the same "rainstick" sound occasionally, too, for as long as I can remember. It only lasts a few seconds, is usually when I'm lying down, and is not painful. I'm a 27 year-old female grad student (in nursing!) so I find this whole topic very interesting. I was initially thinking that it might be cerebrospinal fluid moving, but I have heard some other interesting explanations on this forum and in another.

One explanation is acid-reflux. I was diagnosed with this years ago, and it used to be awful, but now I only have the symptoms occasionally. There are two types of acid-reflux. GERD (which I have/had) and Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR). The symptoms of LPR often do not include heartburn -  Symptoms of Laryngopharyngeal Reflux include:

Continual throat clearing
Chronic throat irritation
Chronic cough
Hoarseness
Excessive phlegm the throat
Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
Constant sensation of something in the throat
Swallowed food comes back up
Post nasal drainage
Weak voice
Cracking voice
Blockage of the breathing passage
Spasm of the larynx (voice box)
Wheezing
Heartburn

I think I may have this since I have 4 out of the first 5 on a regular basis, and post-nasal drip. I always thought this was related to sinuses/allergies. And I noticed that these symptoms get better when I have changed my diet...So it kind of makes sense that the fizzing noise could be related to this, since a lot of people have stomach rumbling simultaneously.

The second theory that I like was posted by Emma, and it's called forward head syndrome. I was told by my chiropractor years ago that my neck lacks the proper curvature. I also experience the pain in my ribcage that occurs when I yawn or deep breathe. Improper head/neck/upper back posture could definitely be contributing to the fizzing - seems plausible to me. Food allergies can also lead to this problem, as the allergies will cause nasal blockage which leads to mouth breathing, which can cause you to change your posture.

Does anyone else have sinus/allergy symptoms who has this problem?
It is 11:45am right now, and I have not eaten anything since 6:45am, so I am extremely hungry. My stomach feels scrunched and I am hearing the rain-stick sounds. Being an anatomy student, I started thinking...

We know that the sound has strong correlation with hunger. The stomach is really far away from the spine/brain and the brain does not physically send out any fluids to the stomach. Cerebrospinal fluid doesn't really make a sound and there wouldn't be bubbles in there anyways. If it did make sounds, then we would be constantly hearing it all the time. The brain does however have something to do with regulating hunger.

I think that whatever gland (most likely hypothalamus) is releasing hormones in the brain is going into overtime during extreme hunger and that action is causing the sounds. For me, the sound only occurs at the late stages of hunger. After the sound subsides, I've gone into the stage where I don't even feel hungry anymore. The sound is really only noticeable when you're resting quietly, which is why some people might not've noticed, nor cared enough to look it up. Another thing is that people notice it for so long they realize it's harmless.
Another sufferer of the fizzy/pop rock head/neck.

I've had this sensation for a very long time.  Sometimes it happens multiple times a day & other times it doesn't happen at all.

I am a 29 year old female whom suffers from fibromyalgia.  Non smoker, Non drinker, currently overweight, but only since I had my last child.

Tripped forwards at the age of 11 whilst walking & hit face onto cement, (passed out afterwards.)  Serious car accident at 14.  Multiple horseriding falls in my teens, (too many to count.)

I get the stomach association with it too.  As my stomach growls I can hear it crackling (like soda on pop rocks,) echo'ed in my head.  I can also reproduce the sound by moving my shoulders backwards sometimes.  

I feel that my issue is neck/spine/nerve related, & like many others have had Dr's look at me like I am bonkers when I've mentioned it.

I've had this also off and on for the last seven years. Mine is when sitting back or lying down, most oftem after waking, or resting after working. Mine starts at the base of the skull and travels downward in the center of the neck. Mine are audable also if it's quiet enough in the room it's pretty noticeable. Mine do accompany hunger growls too but actually happen more often without. I should mention after having chronic headaches and numbness I had a Lumbar Puncture and I had a high opening pressure, or Intracranial Hypertension (IH).

So my theory is it is caused by the circulation and pressure of Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF). CSF is produced in the ventricles inside the brain and travels out the fourth ventricle the opening of which is near the rear base of the skull (posterior fossa). It then circulates in a narrow space around the brain and spinal cord(subarachnoid space), and is reabsorbed through the sagital sinuses and is reabsorbed into the blood venously on the top of the head under the skull.

I think where the CSF is reabsorbed is significant because I also get popping, crackling, noises/sensations in specific places on the top of my head.

CSF is constintly being made and absorbed, I think it replaces itself five times a day,this production and absorption is what mantains the appropriate pressure, and the sagital sinuses act as little pressure relief valves.

Lying down increases CSF pressure, and standing makes it drop, theirs a big explanation for this but I won't get into it here, it's just important to know that it does. So when lying down the pressure is increased and when ever you increase pressure it increases flow. I think the more frequently and intensely you experience this sensation/noise is relative to how high your Intracranial pressure is and may be a sign of a neurological disease if accompanied with other neurological symptoms.

I actually don't know why doctors are so perplexed by this phenomena, it makes perfect sense when you think about the circulation of CSF, but why it's associated with hunger growls I couldn't really say exacly, other than their is also a relationship between abdominal pressure and CSF pressure, which is a factor why one cause of IH called Idiopathic IH is found mostly in obese people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDMO4vYkqdg
I was trying to get some rest and the short live fizzing woke me up, so I figurred I would finally look into it and try to figure out what exactly is causing it!.

Wow this is SO AWESOME!

This has been happening to me for as long as I can remember, and I have noticed that it is significantly more noticeable when I'm hungry or have a fairly empty stomach.

It's always nice to find out people are experiencing something similar.
Same deal.
I'm 30. Experienced it for the past 3 months. Smoker, drinker etc.
Have forward neck thing. Hiatal hernia (stomach sphincter). Removal of enlarged benign lymph node in neck (years ago). Panic attacks. Hypoglycemic. On Klonopin. Had my first head ache in 10 yrs last month.
To me, it sounds like the forward neck and stomach problems are the two best guesses.
If doctors can't figure it out then maybe we can.
Hi, I have the same problem. I was in an anatomy class and we were talking about the brain. Not being shy, since I was sitting next to friends, I blunty asked the professor in front of the whole class "Mr. Capehart.... so do you know what it is when you like hear a weird fuzzy sound in your brain? Kind of like the sound of eggs being cooked in the kitchen?" The WHOLE ENTIRE CLASS, INCLUDING MY FRIENDS, SLOWLY TURNED THEIR HEADS LOOKED AT ME LIKE I WAS CRAZY. My professor who is a really funny and humorous kind of man responded "Whatever type of drugs you're on, THAT could be causing it.". I really thought at least someone in the class knew!

I'm glad I found this site. I've also asked my doctor about this 2 years ago. She gave me a weird look and couldn't think of what it could possibly be. It does happen more so when I lay down at night.
This started happening since I was 24 yrs old. I'm 27 now. I am more than 40 lbs overweight. I do have stress from work and juggling with children's activities/appointments and I have a hard-headed husband. I am a smoker, I smoke about 4 to 5 cigs a day. I have had high bloodpressure in the past, not too high though.

WEIRD THING THAT HAPPENED TO ME TODAY: (which is why I had to google this up and finally find something about it!)  I was walking around a high school running track, after about 20 minutes of walking, I notice everything I stepped my left foot forward while walking, the fizz would come, but only for 1 second at EVERY STEP that my left foot took forward. I thought maybe "Okay maybe my brain is overflowed with air and I need to do this more to help clear it up?"

I hope someday, one day, Doctors can come to a conclusion on knowing exactly what this is!
I have the same issues!   I've had the fizzy neck thing for years and it never concerned me.   However, now I am experiencing a clicking noise in the back of my neck when I walk.  It is very annoying and concerning.  Is anyone else hearing this clicking noise in their neck when they walk?
Ive had this symptom since I was little (25 now). I have also noticed it happen when I get my monthly allergy shot. It feels like the shot goes right to the back of my  neck and then the bubbles push through and make their vibration/noise. I am concerned I am, or have gotten air in my allergy shot.
i get it too! infact im getting it now and im starving!
i also find i get it a bit when swimming, its wierd and id really liek to find out what it is. i dont get headaches though.
Curiouswoman. Yes it happens to me also
This has happened to me for years! I don't get pains from it, so I've never realy been bothered by it. But I'm curious nonetheless, especially if it could have some medical significance. Many of you have associated it with hunger. I had "the fizz" minutes ago and did find myself shortly hungry afterwards, but I can't remember if that always happens. I'll definitely make a note in future.

About me: I'm female,27, has had insomnia for years, mildly overweight. I used to have migraines a lot as a kid till I was in my teens. They went away for several years and these days (perhaps due to increased stress and more intense insomnia?), I tend to get them again. I'm also prone to bouts of depression. Looks to me like these are some others here share these traits as well. Might they have anything to do with the fizz?
Im 18 years old. I have been always overweight. It started when i was younger but it happened like once or twice a month. Now it happens aalot. I have severe depression and my neck hurts like hell. I have two different fizzes. The one when im hungry that is verry loud and a different one that i get when io walk. I noticed that when i step and the pressure goes to the right hip i can hear a click in the neck. Im loosing my mind. I can hadnle the hunger fizz, but the one when i walk i cant bare the clicking sound . :(
I get the fizz too and I have GERD. Search for it on google. It's probably acid being forced up through the lower esophageal sphincter(LES) from gas back pressure in the stomach.
First of all sorry for my bad english, i was diagnosed with gastritis 2 years ago but i didnt got any medication. It got better but it started again. I got a burning senstaion in the stomach and the fizzing happens. I have googled about GERD and i found put that i have some of the symptopms of GERD,
woah. I've tried to explain this to so many people. i've had fizzing sounds in my neck since i was a kid, and i noticed it most when i was swimming, maybe just because i could hear it louder in the water (although i doubt there is any correllation). I just had it a few minutes ago which is why i searched it out, but i had just eaten a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, so i think the hunger thing is out for me. I have never met any one else who has this and i've never attempted to tell my doctor about it. anyway my medical history is this:

Female, 19
light smoker
average weight and height
no unusual diet although i don't usually eat a lot of protein.
kidney problems
really sharp headaches on the right side of my head near/above my ear that last a only few seconds, for about an hour, some have lasted two weeks but are excruciating, i take advil/tylenol/excedrin daily.
regular excercise
benign giant cell granuloma in jaw that reccurred three times.

that's about it,
at least we're not all crazy!
oh yes and-
mine sound like electric bubbles.
staticy types, sort of like the rain stick i suppose :)
and they don't hurt
The internet rocks! I have experienced the "fizzy" sound since I was a kid, I'm 40 now. I always explained it as "bubbles moving up the back of my neck at the base of my skull". Everyone I have ever explained it to looked at me like I was crazy.

For medical history, I've never been diagnosed with any kind of problem. But I have had the "Ice pick" headaches mentioned in an early post (also since childhood) and weight problems my entire life (overweight as a child, underweight as a teen/young adult and overweight again as I am moving into my 40's)
Hi, my name is Laura, I am 39 years old... I also have this weird sound like a "rainstick, fizzing, tinkling, bubble sound in the back of my head/neck area... It has been there pretty much my whole life from what I can remember... Never let it bother me and never mentioned to anyone as I didnt want to be labeled "psycho', weird, crazy, etc...I do however have chronic migraines, have 2 herniated cervical spine discs and supraorbital neuropathy which is where I get this pain that starts in my L eyebrow and shoots back to the c spine area if the eyebrow area is touched, brushed up against, or even if wind hits me in the face, it also causes the shooting pain... My neurologist said it has nothing to do with my herniated discs, but I find that hard to believe, as if I go to my chiropractor several times, the neck pain and eyebrow pain go away... if I dont go to chiropractor for a while, the neck pain and shooting eyebrow pain also comes back.. My insurance doesnt cover chiropractic which is that helps the most, so I only go if I can afford it... Would like to be able to go 1 a week if possible, but im lucky to go once a month...anyway, back to the rainstick/bubble/fizzing/tinkling sound in my neck... I personally agree with the one person who stated, she thought it was related to her grumbling belly i.e. hunger pangs.... I feel the same thing as when I have hunger pangs, as soon as the grumbling starts to fade, thats when the tinkling/fizzing sound starts in the back of my neck.... I believe it is air that is migrating from the abdomen, up through the esophagus and goes up into the nasal sinus cavity and just goes from there on into any crack or crevice it can find which also is the ethmoid sinus air cells and who knows what ever else we have in the head for like sinus tracts or even ear space??  I mostly have this happen with the grumbling of my belly.. once I eat, the grumbling stops and so does the tinkling sound in the back of my neck/head/ears...

I think the eardrums pick up any noices the head makes... including when I have a migraine, I can hear the blood rushing and pounding in my head when Im laying down in a quiet environment....

Thats the only explanation i can come up with....

Im glad Im not the only one who is out there wondering what this noise is...

Laura g
That last one, where she has a bloodrush/heartbeat sound in her ear when she lays down, that's been me for years but long after I got migraines when I was 33 (Dad also, now son) and I began the herbal cure, mainly coral calcium.  Went past that to COQ10 and then on to Salvia, Gingko, and even tried Nattokinaise all with the goal of thinning my 'wants to clump' blood.  Last blood donation didn't even fill bag, wasted.
Dr wants me to be on the 1@day baby asprin and reluctantly I am but wait 12 hours after herbals as the salicylic acid kills plant enzymes.  All this to try to stave off stroke/heart attack.  Developed 'fizzy ear' right side last month, comes and goes.  Seems just like you poured hydrogen peroxide in and let it fizz.  

Also low blod pressure for years probably adrenal fatigue and by now probably can't make cortisol either.  Maybe no blood/brain barrier as why everything turns to headache.  

Wish the Nattokinaise or Salvia worked but get headache (amazing it doesn't turn into migraine as ALL headaches do) but the Nattokinaise even made me weak, as been experiencing weakness in extremeties, even to having to hold a pen between fingers as thumb useless thought I should quit all and now its just baby asprin but if I thought if I could go to dr and get a blood thinner from bat venom (desmokinase) rather than the chemically made warfarin I would try.
Just thought I would add a few things,

Mine, I can hear it, and feel it drain down from the back base of my skull downward into the spinal canal or down into the neck, and also popping sounds/sensations on top of my head. A lot of people describe it going upwards, but mine always feels like it goes downwards into my neck. I'm fairly convinced it's Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF), because CSF is basically just water that circulates around a persons spinal cord, and brain, and the pressure of which is affected by abdominal pressure acting against thoratic pressure which then directly affects flow resistance of the CSF. Some members have mentioned forward neck, and herniated discs, and I think that fits also because the subarachnoid space around the spinal cord isn't that wide, and has to share space with blood vessels as well, and any shifting of the vertebrae or discs can create an increased narrowing of the subarachnoid space around the spinal canal, therefore also creating an increased resistance to CSF flow. Inflammation to the meninges (layer around the brain, cord)  or inflammation to the brain or cord itself (encephalitis, myelitis respectfully) can also reduce the width of the subarachnoid space.

I can remember this happening once in a while when I was still young, and healthy so the phenomenon in itself isn't a sign of illness, I think it just increases in occurrence as we get older and develop spine problems, gain weight, or have inflammation in the central nervous system or even a combination of two or three of those factors. I have a stiff neck, bulging dics, am 50lbs overweight, and also have Sarcoidosis which can cause an inflammation to the meninges, so I can't pin point which thing made the phenomenon occur more frequently, but I suspect it is more a result of being overweight, but could be a combination of all of those factors.

One time when I was sitting face to face with a neurologist I tried explaining this phenomenon to her, and she just said, "Other people have brought this up to me also, but there is no fluid moving in the back of your neck", and then she offered me some anti depressants :-) which I refused. I guess she must have been home sick the days during medical school when they were talking about CSF.
I am experiencing the same thing also. Thought i was going nuts or something. I heard it this morning and finally decided to look it up. Although i didn't get much answers to what is going on, its good to know that i am not alone and im not going nuts (lol).
just to contribute to the list of my fellow who also experience this funny sound at the back of the neck:
- i'm overweight (but not yet obese)
- chronic headaches and sometimes really bad migraines
- i can sometimes hear the sound even when i'm walking and not hungry
- i've been hypertensive for 5yrs now

i think Corvin offers a very possible explanation of why these things happen

i'm not as bothered anymore now, as when i first heard this "rainstick" sound... it's somehow relieving to know that many experience this, and many have had this for quite some time (since they were kids?!) and are still ok! :)
Nice to know I'm in good company! I'm 33 and have the fizzy/bubbling sounds described so well by all of you, and I've had them for as long as I can remember. In addition:

first kidney stone at 18 y.o.
second kidney stone at 22 (but none in the 11 years since)
low blood pressure
hard to find veins
bad headaches a couple times per month
temp. loss of vision when I stand too quickly
have passed out 2x when giving blood
clicking in jaws that started about a year ago
mystery hip to foot pains while pregnant 3 yrs. ago
slightly anemic while pregnant
20 lbs. overweight for the past 5 or so yrs.

Also, this is probably unrelated, but does anyone else have hiccups that happen multiple times in one day? If I get them once, I get them 5-6 times in a single day, and then I won't have them again for several weeks. It's very strange. A cure I've found is to eat dill pickles, though, and they just stop. Try it next time you get them.
I too get these noises, static-like fizzing in the centre of my neck. This only occurs for me in conjunction with hunger. It never happens otherwise and clearly has some link with stomach activity.
Having read almost all entries on this page I would say the biggest common factors are possible blood pressure issues and being overweight slightly. Though I have one friend that doesn't think I'm mental for having the bubblyfizzcrackles as she gets the same thing; she is far from overweight however.
I don't think it's anything that should be worried about. It makes sense to be release of something from glands related with hunger control or stomach issues. Perhaps merely lying down and therefore altering the positioning of the stomach, flattening it etc, causes something to be regulated automatically as a result, which occurs also with hunger. We're just are all able to hear this action.
I've had this bubbling/fizzling/crackling for years.  I've been meaning to look it up for an explanation for a long time.  I'm going to refrain from saying 'I have the same problem' as I do not see it as a problem.  For me the symptoms only occur when I'm hungry and have 'hunger pains' in my stomach, generally after a stomach growl (but not necessarily) there will be a few seconds of the noise, which also creates a sensation I can feel (best description I have read refers to it closely to what a 'rain stick' sounds and feels like).  My own estimate has been either a liquid is moving into an area of moving gas, or gas is moving through an area of liquid, causing a 'bubbling' sensation and noise.  I am a chronic joint popper, and often crack my neck (this is obviously a VERY different and hunger related issue), just listing for others with this possible links.  If I hear/feel the hunger bubbles in my neck, I can generally turn my head and also pop my neck.  Perhaps the bubbles are small leaks of what causes the louder pops during a joint popping session?
me 2. for just a few months now. had my dr listin to it w stethoscope and did xrays w obnormal formity of neck.
It's great to find so many people experiencing this same weird phenomenon as me. But it's sad to see no one having a good explanation of what's going on or what can or should be done about it.

I liked the description of it as like a "rain stick."  I have a little weird sensation when it happens -- and it's happening more and more lately, and the sensation is getting more "oogy."

For me it's in the top of the back of my neck, near where it meets the base of the skull.
I should add, I'm fairly certain mine is not connected to hunger in any way.
5am the bubbling,crackling neck noise woke me up.3yrs now no cure had mri but nothing found.i'm tired do not get much sleep.Doctors think i'm nuts but i just want the noise to stop.Ihave no other medical problems.On a scale of 1to10 my noise is an 8,i'm 41 i can't imagine going another 20 to 30 yrs with this problem let's keep trying to find a cure an get it posted a.s.a.p    good luck to everyone
I can't believe there are so many of us! I really felt nuts for a while there....

I experience the fizzy head thing too- i like the description of "pop rocks" from one of the above posters- very accurate!

My fizzieness has been happening for a few years now, but has gotten worse lately. I like how most of you guys have been posting medical histories because i really think we can figure this out if enough people do the same. Anyway, mine is:

Personal info:
Female, 23 years old
Off and on smoker- smoked a pack a week for almost 2 years, but now i have one to two cigarettes every month or so
High level of stress
Not overweight at onset of 'fizzing' but i am mildly overweight now (maybe by 20lbs?)
Regular marijuana user
Drink every once in a while- maybe once every 2 weeks
Night time Bruxism (and of course the related headaches)
Severe Allergies (post nasal drip and all the related fun stuff....)
Generalized Anxiety Disorder with OCD tendencies
Seasonal Affective Disorder
Frequent sufferer of acid reflux/heartburn
Blood sugar related disorders are common in my family- i have family members with both hypoglycemia and diabetes (i have yet to be diagnosed with anything but i do have some hypoglycemic symptoms. i can tell when my blood sugar is dropping- based on mood shifts, changes in energy levels, lightheadedness, shakiness, etc. when i need food)

operations / procedures:
just one- had benign cyst underneath tongue that had to be popped (with no anesthetic either....that was tons o' fun.)

Medications:
ortho tri cyclen lo (previously, not anymore)
Zoloft (previously, not anymore)
excedrin for bruxism related headaches
benadryl for allergies
cymbalta for GAD

it is comforting to know there are others who experience this- now let's just try and work together to figure it out! :-)
Wow, I really had no idea there were so many people out there with this symptom.  I started hearing the fizzy sounds in my neck about 9 months ago.  I had fallen off of an ATV and came down with a whole bunch of symptoms that didn't make sense and every doctor looked at me like I was crazy.  I passed out a few times, felt really weak, back pain, just didn't feel like myself.  I'm gradually getting back on track ( I see an osteopath once a month) but the fizzing sound is still there.  It's totally random and happens all day long.  I can especially hear it when I'm walking, it fizzes and crackles with each step I take.  When I was driving last week I turned my head to the left and It started fizzing and popping at a fast rhythem.  Scared me to death.  I haven't mentioned it to any of my docs yet, but am thinking about mentioning it next time I see my osteopath.  It doesn't hurt, it's just so annoying and I can't help but worry that there might be something wrong in my neck.  UUUGGGHH...  It is refreshing to know I'm not alone though.  
Mine started without warning 3yrs ago i think stress has a hand in it does anyone feel extreme depression over this a feeling of no hope of getting rid of this i always think its a serious condition but i am not in pain just the noise drive my nuts i saw every doc possible and all tests from scopes to mri they blamed it on acid reflux to stress and everything else i don't know where to go with this anymore who would have thought something like this could be so anoying     let's all keep talking about it and try to find a cure     good luck
Just like all of you others, I have been hearing this sound. I was bad at describing it and told my family it was like grains of sand going up my neck, but 'fizzing' is a much more accurate description.

Other that being 30 pounds overweight, and stress/anxiety, I have no other major health problems that I know of.

2 years ago I had a brain MRI because my head kept feeling like it was too full. Normal test results.

Last year I had an ultrasound of the carotid artery in my neck because the sound was bugging me. Also normal.

The only think other than the fizzing sound that really bothers me is when I go from sitting to standing too quickly, my head feels like it fills up with ? and gets all full and stuffy. After I stand for a few seconds it feels better, almost like the extra blood, CSF, whatever is draining down where it should have.

I also grind my teeth really badly at night.

Good luck all!

jilliejillerjill
It sounds like poprocks with soda being poured onto them...
Everyone says it feels like the bubbles are going down their neck..Mine go up it feels like to me.. =/

I go for surgery on my lower back neck month to fuse L5 S1..I have degenerative disk disease,Im wondering if these have anything in common...I've been reading up on this Chiari Malformation and wondering if this sound has anything to do with compression of the spine..
Alot of people have said theirs happens when their hungry or laying down..Mine is fizzing right now sitting up & does it weather Im hungry or have just ate..Makes no difference what Im doing..But does get worse the more I've been exercising..My body has a hard time regulating heat I over heat very easily & have had heatstroke 4 times..Does anyone else have "heat" problems...?
Mine sounds like pop rocks also,i get hunger alot even when i eat something doc now says i don't have ulcers but he says i have ibs syndrome does anyone have stomach problems also with this fizzing noise in the neck    
Well I go in to see my neurosurgeon today I am going to ask what this is & if he's heard of it and will let you guys know what he says about it..

If he thinks Im going crazy or need a brain transplant he might send me to mental hospital..lol
I went to the apt told him about it & he told me this sound is caused by migraines and that its not caused by compression...Then he went on to read my file about my lower back surgery...Wich leads me to believe he has no idea what Im talking about...

I didnt go into it further because I dont want it to interfere with my surgery next month..If they find something in my head & cancle my surgery Ima be PO'ed its been cancled twice already..

So I'll talk to him about it more after my surgery I'll tell him i want a MRI done to see if the hamster has fallen off his wheel... =) lol

Take Care Fizzers..
Hahah "Fizzers"! I like the sound of that.

I've personally never been to a  neurosurgeon, but next time anyone here happens to go to one--or even their primary car doctor, perhaps they could take a print out of this page, or lend them this URL, with all the descriptions and documented accounts of others, so you have more drive perhaps. And they'll see for themselves that It' s not just an individual thing. Man...the other night the fizzing was occurring so frequently [it normally happens once or twice] I was having difficulty sleeping.

I don't know the next time I'll be visiting a doctor, as I'm currently uninsured, but I'll be sure to do as I just suggested next time I do.

=)
Did anyone hear of PALATAL MYOCLONUS this is a conditon that makes rapid clicking in the tissue palate at the back your mouth and can wake you at night check it out it is rare and docs might give you the brush off but its worth a try anything to find this condition
I've had the fizzies from time to time all my life, usually mild.  Occasionally it's more a severe occurrence and this is associated with what UpNorthOutWest referred to as an "oogy" sensation, which I think is motion-sickness.  I never thought it was *in* my spine, though, more like between the back of my throat and my spine.  Now I'm not so sure.

I like the 'rain-stick' analogy; I always thought of it as 'champagne bubbles'.

I've noticed after reading this list and making a few trials that if you pull your shoulders back you can make this happen, but you get just one or two bubble-sounds and not the thirty or forty ascending ones that you get when it happens spontaneously.

I don't have any of the somewhat frightening neurological issues a lot of y'all seem to have... I'm overweight and have sleep apnea, but that's fairly recent and I've had the fizzies all my life.
I've been having this problem for close to 1/2 a year now -- I've had an MRI of my brain which came back normal but the issue still continues. I was diagnosed with Euystachian Airway Disease and I also have acid reflux.. not certain if either of these would really relate to this but it is scaring me tremendously..
various things I have along with this:

acid reflux
hiatal hernia
eustaychian airway disease

had an MRI and the only thing that was reported was a congestion in the mastoid sinuses.. was on doxycycline for 2 weeks (which should cleanup the congestion) still have the sound.. i also have these strange pimples(?) that seem to be growing on my neck and base of skull.. only had them the past 6months or so.. any connection?
I posted here about a year ago. At the time I didn't have stomach problems but around April had a lot of weird stomach/diaphragm symptoms. I had my gall bladder removed and that helped somewhat, but also at the same time I had GERD. Two courses of antibiotics haven't cured it (h. pylori), going to a gastro next month.

The fizzing sounds have gotten less frequent for me, perhaps because I lost about 20 lbs, but they still happen occasionally. Definitely stomach/hunger related for me, and with the GERD, maybe that was an underlying factor that I wasn't aware of at the time.

Mainly I want to chime in support to Uniquelyevil's suggestion--PRINT OUT A COPY OF THIS URL AND TAKE IT TO YOUR DOCTOR IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE RAISING THE ISSUE! Reading through the thread it's obvious many doctors think we're nuts or hypochondriacs or something. But obviously this is a real physical condition, with classic and overt sensations. It could be fairly harmless, but could be a symptom of a more serious issue (or multiple issues), and if so making doctors aware could help more people. And/or at least not make them dismiss it outright as even existing, thus tainting their entire trust in our descriptions and problems.

And if anyone in the medical community is reading this, it would of course be wonderful if you could recommend a study of this sensation to researchers or students or whoever. I along with everyone in the thread can assure you the feeling is quite real and quite distinct. And often times disturbing.
I have it as well. I finally brought it up to my neuro. I'm 21 and female, maybe 15 pounds overweight. I have quite an extensive health history. I've had two ruptured discs. I think the GERD thing is coincidental, honestly. How many people can say they have reflux. I think quite a few.

Three key things stick out for me. I've been having severe pain around my right eye daily. Heat makes it worse - especially showers. I was diagnosed with migraines.  My right eye on the inside feels twitches and sometimes I see silver confetti- like shiny things. It's probably more like clusters, but I don't fit the demographic of being male and middle aged. The fizzy sound gets worse when my headaches are bad. The fizzy sound was made MUCH MUCH worse when I had the MRI today. As soon as they put the contrast in - fizzle, fizzle, fizzle. That has to mean something. Then, finally, how this all started. The first fizzle experience I had was when I had a massive blood clot. There was a lot of fizzling going on. Near constant. The clot was my entire left arm all the way up to my jugular. I brought it up to the nurse because my face would get flushed, then the fizzle would happen, and my face would return normal. I was told that the fizzle was caused at that time because the blood was trying to escape my brain due to vein congestion. My jugular and lower have all had clear images now, and I still get the fizzies. Pair that with the contrast making it worse, I really think it has to do with circulation somehow.
I thought I was CRAZY!  This fizzing (sifting sand) sound at the base of my scalp, (middle of neck) has been happening to me for over a year.  It only happened a couple times a month at first, but now it happens every time I lay down.  It does not hurt, but it is starting to worry me.  I, like others on here, have suffered with anxieties, although not as bad as they used to be.  I am starting to worry that I am going to have a stroke, I am just waiting for the day that this fizzing will go to my brain.  It does not hurt when it happens, but I sometimes have sharp brain freeze pains that only last for a short time, usually only minutes, during the day.  the following is my history;

39
smoker
ex-pot smoker (started having anxiety attacks, after YEARS of partaking)
Hard to swallow sometimes
diagnosed with degenerative disk disease
suffered from a bulging disk and a herniated disk (had the injections)
frequent heartburn, acid reflux
I have a mucus build up (sounds gross I know) in the back of my throat that is hard to get out
my head has always had a forward slant, and now I have a big hump in between my shoulders
Frequent Insomnia
Restless leg syndrome

I mentioned it to my Dr. and he acted like it was no big deal because it does not hurt when it happens.  I thought I was crazy and becoming a hypochondriac.  I am so glad I am not alone on this.  Thank you all for your posts, I will keep checking back for updates.

Take Great Care!
I wanted to add this to my post above:

I also grind my teeth REALLY bad and I too have head rushes when I move to fast that cause me to loose my balance at times.  Does that make sense?  Gosh, after writing all this, I really do sound like a hypochondriac, but I promise, I'm not.......

Take Great Care
Hello all. I too have very similar symptoms as mentioned here. When I  
was younger around 10-12 hrs old I first start having the sensations  
in my neck. Like a bubbling or fizzing feeling and sound. It only used  
to happen when I was reAlly hungry. I told my family about it but they  
aleways just laughed. I guess they thought I was joking.  These  
sysmptoms went away or were very rare for a long time. I am 23 now and  
I am having it happen again now. Only this time it seems way more  
intense than it was when I was younger. Now I get the fizzing/bubbling  
feeling in my neck near the base of my skull along with a very sick  
feeling in my stomach. And this happens randomly. I find stress and  
anxiety makes it worse or more frequent.   When this happens I feel  
really sick like I just want to lay down until it goes away. And  
sometimes the fizzing feeling seems to go up higher than usual like  
into my head rather than in my neck. I don't know what this is and  
have not seen a doctor about it in fear of them not taking me  
seriously because no one ever does.  I also have very bad sinus and  
allergy issues and don't know if it might be related at all but if  
anyone also has sinus issues as well as this other "thing" please  
post. Thanks. I feel alot better knowing I'm not the only one who  
feels this.

Levi

I was told by a nurse, that the sensation is caused by your body burning up its sugars. I get the same thing often so I was concerned and asked around, it's amazing how many people have this and have no idea what it is. your safe ;-)
Wow!!! I've tried explaining this several times to many different people-doctors, family, friends, my husband-everyone seems to think I am crazy so I gave up and just let it be! This is the first time I have ever heard of someone else having the same symptoms of which I have been having for yearrrrrss let alone this many people having these strange feelings-more unusual and worring than painful yet still painful just extremely "weird"! I guess you all know what I'm trying to say! I feel it in my neck and bottom of my head quit often and every now and then I feel it in my brain! It is certainly bothersome and worring but comforting to know you all feel the same strange things! Good luck everyone!!!
had an MRI of my cervical spine for this a couple days ago and it turned up that I have some disk inflammation.. no idea if its related yet or not, going to see orthopedist next week, will post back
orthopedist said I have some early signs of arthritis but that doesn't explain the neck bubbling sound.. he said if it were to happen in motion it would most likely be the cause of something rubbing back there (i guess like, cartiledge or something) but considering it happens when I'm laying completely stationary, that still isn't a viable explanation
I have no other medical problems but this.Mine wakes me up it's so loud.It's very bad at night,i have had this for 4 yrs now and very anoying.I saw every specialist know to man kind and had tests,blood ,mri's of cervical,brain,ears also 2 ph tests,3 scopes.I can hear a crunch noise when i walk,but most of the time i can stay still and the noise shoots up the back of my neck.no pain.I have decribed the sound to doctors as crackling,fizzing,a bubbling,static sound.Doctor's have no idea they all thought acid reflux but tried every drug not one bit of difference.So now i give up and hope someone hear can get us the answers we need.Sorry i don't have better news but that's my storey in a nut shell.good luck
I also have heard the fizzing for as long as i can remember and im 29 and knew there must be others with it. My partner knows im not crazy though... he actually heard it for himself when we were laying in silence trying to sleep one night and asked me what the noise was (quite grossed out by it) I do only notice it at night in bed when its quiet  and although i seem to always feel hungry,can assure you i have eaten a lot not too long before going to bed and and consequently overweight.I also have extremely bad reflux when im not careful what i eat)
the theory of it being the brain releasing the chemical that controls hunger is very interesting tho!  
tee hee hee ...

I get it to. And as a lot of people have previously mentioned, mine generally seems to happen when I am hungry.

To me, it sounds like 100's of teeny tiny little pieces of glass falling down my neck. It kinda like it. It almost kinda tickles!
apparently the feeling of electric shocks in the back of your head is very common in people with MS... thought I don't think that's quite what we're all describing, anyone have any thoughts?
ELECTRIC SHOCKS?NOT ME JUST THE SOUND. I THINK YOU WOULD FEEL THE SHOCK.THE NOISE JUST MAKES ME FEEL UNEASY.THERE IS A CONECTION WITH THE STOMACH THOUGH.WHEN I GET A SMALL NOISE IN MY STOMACH IT RADIATES TO MY NECK AND I HEAR IT VERY LOUD.I THINK HIGH STRESS HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT.ALSO I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT WHEN ALL THIS STARTED 3 YEARS AGO I HAD THESE ON GOING HUNGER PAINS THAT WOULD NOT GO AWAY WITH EATING FOOD.IT WOULD ALSO WAKE ME AT NIGHT.ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO MY DOCTOR JUST DECIDED TO TREAT ME FOR H-PYLORI A BUG OF THE STOMACH.RESULT HUNGER PAINS ARE GONE BUT THE NECK CRACKLING IS STILL THERE.AT THIS POINT WHO KNOWS.GOOD LUCK
I too have this happening to me...my search for an answer is what lead me to this site.  I must say...I do have some relief that I am not alone.  My medical history is long. I wont bore you with it all but I will tell you that I have right side head and eye pain and have been diagnosed with Scleritis.  I have right side head pain and neck/spine pain.  I experience episodes when I have muscle pain and weakness. I recently had a seizure and now suspect that I have had small seizures before but didnt know that what they were.  I did have a MRI indicate microvascular changes in the right side of the brain and I also had a MRI that said "incidentally identified is an anomalous draining vessel in the precental white matter at the convexity on the right side."  I dont know what it means as I didnt read the report until I got home after my doctor telling me the MRI was normal.

I am scared and frustrated as I have so many more symptoms.  I feel as though my spine, neck and brain becomes inflamed.  I am now on 5mg of steroids everyday and Methotrexate for the Scleritis in my right eye.

I do want to mention that before all of my symptoms....I did a very stupid thing and put Super Glue in my right eye.  I have mentioned this multiple times but all of my doctors (I have been to many!) tell me it could not be related.

I want to mention also that like another posted comment...when I have MRIs....the fizzing is much worse.  What could this mean?

AND the main reason I decided to post...I have something that I did not read that anyone else mentioned...although I too get the fizzing when it seems my stomach is empty....I get it when I am urinating.  SOUNDS CRAZY I KNOW....but when I sit on the toilet....there is no fizzing....once my urine is released....fizzing until I stop urinating.  Am I the only one experiencing this?

Good Luck to us all and best wishes for good health!
You guys might all want to copy this forum and take it to your doctors.  I have ice pic headaches and migraine, but nothing like this. These forums are great.  They have helped me narrow symptoms down for my doctors.  Good luck!!!
I've brought this forum to my doctors many times and to be honest most don't even seem interested in looking at it.. they have no idea wtf its caused by.. though I really can't fathom why not.. how many fluid based things really run through the back of your neck..
Okay, here is what I know....I got viral meningitis back in the beginning of Sep/09. Ever since then when I am walking up the stairs, I can hear the spinal fluid swishing in the back of my neck.  I have asked my dr about this.  He said that it is actually what I think it is...spinal fluid in the base of my brain.  He also said it was nothing to worry about.  I trust my dr.  He hasnt steered me wrong yet...just though I would throw it out there.  Good luck everyone!
Well I read this topic a while ago after searching my symptom, so I don't know if anyone's posted any good explanations for it since. But FINALLY in the other topic here about the same thing, another user posted an explanation:

"I just woke up and experienced this (having had it all my life), and decided to look it up out of curiosity of how many other people have this.

It may sound like it's in the back of your neck or skull, and like a rushing, almost lumpy sound. You might even hear an odd squirt sound in your chest a few minutes later too. Many of you likely have had some nerve damage or tremors (I've been a shaky man all my life), and you've probably had some history of sinus issues as well.

It's not CSF fluid escaping, it's actually you shifting your head slightly when waking up and allowing your parotid glands next to your ears to drain (and it's quite loud).  This is increased when you have neural damage, since those early morning brain signals when you wake up that says "time to eat!" are firing sporadically.  You may not even notice the increased saliva right after, but after you experience this, try not to swallow for 1 minute and see what I mean!

Get some breathing strips so you won't dry out your mouth as much while you sleep, and your poor saliva glands won't have so much on reserve, and don't eat before you go to sleep this will cause extra saliva the next morning too."
--originally posted by Foster

This...makes a hell of a lot of sense to me, since the meds I'm on cause dry mouth and the fizzy wtfness started up around the time I began taking them.
My explanation to it does not involve any glands or liquids. I think what's going on in the back of the neck is that there is a build up of charge in miniature cavities near the cerebellum. Consuming caffeine products such as soda, coffee will most likely promote the overall firing activity of the neurons cells in the brain and occasionally gather up enough electrons in one cavity. one sudden move or twist of the neck could spark the discharge of the charged cavity by short circuiting it with nearby nerves. the cavity will be brained(grounded to the brain potential) in no longer than 10 to 15 seconds, the cavity will be losing its electrons until its neutral and the noise you hear in the back of your neck/head is the jumping of excited electrons from one part to another in your brain!!!
mehdi
i came here looking for "bubbles in head sound" and most of you are describing fizzing in the back of your neck. mine is in the front right hemisphere of my head (brain?) and sounds/feels like bubbles or carbonation. there's no associated headaches or hunger as many of you are describing, and it seems to occur any time, not just when i'm laying down. i have no medical issues that i know of. does anyone else have this particular sensation?
     wow. So much for uniqueness. LOL.  I just posted a comment/question in several forums last night about this exact phenomana.  

I decided to dig into the online texts out there, sparked by interesting research on bi-polar patients (i am one).  The study showed an overall increase in size of the brain ventricles of bi-polar patients apposed to those without the condition.  note: there was no mention of bubbling or fizzing of the neck, or as i like to describe it; ice sizzling in water.  However this did prompt me to learn a little about the brain ventrical system a bit.  Seems that the fourth ventrical ( which allows drainage and flow of cerebral fluid is located at the top of the spinal chord, the choroid plexes as i understand.  the fluid is responsible for various things, protecting the brain from some toxins is one.  But that was not what interested me so much.  It was the rate of change the fluids pace at.  The text said the turnover is roughly 7 hours, thats 3 times a day.  Also the location is like a crossroads for the fluids of which i understood by the simple illustrations.

What does this all mean?  I have no freakin idea, but it may help me on a jeopardy category one day.  Next, I am going to look at the hunger examples as I would have never made that connection.  Till the next time my fizzle-fried friends!  

I went to my doctor recently I had brought it up to her. I told her it started happening when I got futher along in my pregnacy I gained a dromatic nearly 100 lbs by time I had my daughter I had alot of water retention and I think I still do and when I had my daughter and had the epoduro the fizzy sensation went crazy I even said something to a nurse about it I was scared she didnt say anything but it only happend when i was being injected in the "spin" maybe a pressure issue? tenseness? who knows but .. I have lost some of the weight after having my daughter and the fizzy chilled out but I just started gaining weight again back at what I was when i had my daughter .. she told me that since i pointed out towards the end of pregnacy that stuck in her mind and also with me still being over weight and the weight i used to be fore I had my daughter she thinks that when your nody is going through stress it does weird things to release it and sometimes your body just have weird sensations she gave her self as an example that nearly everyday on one spot of her spin feels like theres a sticker there and she doesnt know why.. obviously she had it checked out theres nothing wrong with her spin.. but long story short she believes its stress, tenseness, and weight issue.. so Im reporting to her in 3 months Im going to try to lose as much weight as I can safely and try things to help me relax maybe get a back or neck massager to untense my back and shoulders. I do notice sometimes I have it with hunger pain sometimes I dont. sometimes it just happens randomly. alot of times it happens when I walk and do some movement that invalves bending neck or upper torso area. to me it sounds liek a tense muscle trying to release .. but this isnt an offical dianosis just a theory.. also to add to it like 20 min ago I had almost constent fizzy sensation.. I took a hot shower theres no more sensation and I notice at night before I go to bed I crack my back.. for me it helps.. and what Im going to do to change is eat better "healthier foods" , drink more water, get off soda pop, excerise, get a massager for back and neck.. for me I think its tension and weight issue and ALOT of stress and I have been stressed out alot lately being a single mom working all day and sleeping for few hrs a night.. your body can only handle so much before it starts doing weird things. I hope this helps. I know alot of peopel are commenting about this maybe it is a common thing and people are scared to say something because they immedatly think something is seriously wrong and may need surgery.. it could be as simple as changing the way you live.. Im trying it atleast I will do what I can on my part to see if its ME thats causing it.. good luck everyone
I've experienced fizzing at the base of my skull for probably the last 40 year - I'm 52 now.

I notice it's worse when I'm stressed, for me it's not connected to hunger.

I've often thought it feels like the blood is forcing it's way through a narrow part.

My mother die of an aneurysm so this does concern me somewhat.
`hi my name is mya and ive been haviing the exact same feeling expt it feels like theres some fluid build up in my   head   then some times it feels like there sir in my head witch is vere i dont no wht ty scaring becaus i dont no wht to   do      plese some one heeeeellllppppppppppppppp
  It seems that we can form a international union :-)  I am a chinese gril haven't been abroad.I search in chinese webs and find the same question.One of them says she is losing weight.Since I am a medical college student(chinese triditional),I am also trying to find whether books written hundreds of years mention it +_+III. I photograph brian CT and they say it's just find.I find same connections
1.I am fat (80kg )
2.when I was pupil,I had acute gastritis.
3.Once I took roller coaster when it start to run I felt my neck hit.

I find the voice which likes using straw to suck drinks in middle school.I thought it was parasite at first ,some parasite can live in oesophagus.I am hungry,they are uncomfortable? But I don't accept a gastroscope as it will make me more uncomfortable.
In any case,parasite is the first disturb we should rule out.
   I am sure Dr.House would not notice this kind of tiny problems.So, keep youself alive and find out the answer!!!
I am a 25 yr old male with pronounced Forward Neck Posture, especially bad gastritis, and a history of anxiety problems. I have had this sound/sensation in the back of my neck for at least 2 years. I also have a twitch in my upper right eyelid. If I lean my head to the left side, I believe that can cause the eyelid twitch. I have no other symptoms, although my balance has been worse lately. I think that is because I spend too much time leaning over a computer, and am generally inactive. I may have memory problems, but I cannot say that with certainty.

Also, I used to constantly "crack" my neck to relieve tension when I was younger.
Also, does anyone who notice this issue have a particularly large head for their body? I myself do, and I think it may worsen the problem of Forward Neck Posture.
I too have the same symptoms as you do. Im a 21 yr old male. I have never been to the doctor for my stomach growling. Although, I think i may havee gastritis, and I also have had anxiety when i was in elementary school and then it took a break over middle school then came back my senior year of high school. Im not sure how my neck posture is, but once i read your comment about forward neck posture I feel I may have that as well. I have been pretty inactive the past 2 years and am noticing the fizzing sound more often. Also, i feel as if I always hear my stomach growl and neck fizz at night, on days when i have had alot of soda/beer. I also have trouble falling asleep at night and stay up most nights untill 4 or 5 in the morning. It may be because im living a college life or because i surf the web too much. Anyways as you can see were not the only ones out there with these problems. I hope a can find a solution one day.
Hello all,

I had the same thing many of you are describing for probably a little bit over a year. Typically I'd be sitting on my recliner and would randomly get the sound for maybe up to 5 seconds, just like you are describing fizzing, squirting, sizzling type noise. I pretty much just ignored it for some time and now my situation seems to have gotten a bit worse. I can now here a very similar noise when rotating my arms in certain ways, or my shoulders, or holding my neck back as far as I can. It's definitely the same kind of noise being produced when I do this although it's a bit subdued in comparison.

I am at a loss for what could be causing this. It is very concerning to me that the problem seems to be getting worse. I will say that I do have poor posture along with forward head syndrome that a few people have described earlier. I'm not sure if this may be the cause. I do plan on obtaining health insurance March 1st and going for a physical and requesting that I get MRI's etc. to rule out anything serious.

I did come across something that makes me extremely worried as well. I viewed a brain tumor symptom survey and came across a couple people who describe similar symptoms. http://www.virtualtrials.com/braintumorsymptomssurvey.cfm shows people describing the squirting, sizzling nature of this problem. I also share symptoms with pins and needles sensations around my body and  what I believe to be unusual fatigue. However it seems the vast majority of people experience severe headaches which I can say is not the case for me. I suspect that there may be different versions of this problem, some more sinister then others. I do find it extremely strange that no one has come up with an answer to this problem over the course of several years.
I HAVE HAD THIS ALL MY LIFE I THOUGHT I WAS HEARING THE
BLOOD CORSING THROUGH MY ARTERIES IN MY NECK
LIKE A HIGH PITCHED SQUEAKY DOOR
I've had the same complaint for years, (about 20) not related to hunger, I'm a severe migraine sufferer when I saw a chiropracter she was also a craniologist she told me the fluid in my brain didn't flow properly and that sometime's there was a slight blockage, she use to move the plate's in my mouth, which helped for a while. Seems strange I know!
It got worse after a few years when I moved away and suffered a bells palsy episode the doctors then looked into my migraine's a bit harder had to have MRI scan's Lumber puncture etc. so don't anyone panic they are not related to brain tumours coz mine certainly wasn't.

Since I was put on Topirimate which has something to do with spinal fluid pressure etc. the bubbles have stopped... Whether that is what causes everyone's who know's but the doctors use to look at me weird whenever i mentioned a bubble sensation up my neck......
You're right -- when I thrust my shoulders back I can make it do it for just a tick or two.

I always get the feeling that it's happening between where the base of my skull and spine meet and the flesh covering my head, not in the spine itself. But that just could be an illusion.
I am so glad I'm not alone!!  Doctors and family think I'm nut when I try to explain this "Squirting" noise at the base of my skull.   It usually only happens at night when changing positions in bed, or first thing in the morning after lying still then turning my head.  Sometimes it will happen during the day after sitting still for a few minutes.

A previous post by Karenanne lead to a link that really explains a lot about this syndrome - especially if you have had this "squirty/fizzy" issue since childhood.  Mine started in Sep 09 (after a life long series of head/neck injuries) ... Please check out this part of her post (below) or scroll back up to find the whole post on Sep 6 2008.

by karenanne, Sep 06, 2008 07:56PM
To everyone: Please check http://***********/chiari-malformation.html for information about Chiari I Malformation and compare your symptoms - especially those of you with migraines and neurological symptoms! You might be amazed to find answers to questions your docs haven't answered thus far. I endured 25 years of being misdiagnosed and am still amazed by how many neurologists just shake their heads since they have not been educated about Chiari - and tell you your symptoms are all in your head. Well, DUH!  The Chiari Institute's site also provides some good info: http://www.northshorelij.com/12.cfm They are the leaders in the field with research and surgery. A mecca of sorts.

Good luck fellow fizzers (good nickname)
I have the same problem at random times. I usually notice it when I've been in one possition for a while, like sitting, leaning or laying down and then start to move. I've always described it as a fizzing at the back of my neck. Almost like I can feel and hear my brain sending little electric messages down my spine. It usually ends pretty quickly and might repeat itself a few minutes later. It doesn't always happen everyday or at a certain time, so it's always a suprise. It's not painful, but it's really weird and can definetly catch you off gaurd. Sometimes I also get these things I wouldn't quite call a headache.. more like a distant squeeze. It's like my neck and skull has rusted and I can hear creaking and grinding for awhile. It's really uncomfortable and it's like my the back of my skull is too small. I'm only 16 so it's concerning for me to feel like the joints in my head are having issues already.

It might be a wild guess but from the comments I read it seems like most of us have had this since childhood and many of us also associate it with hunger and struggle with weight. My family also has diabetes and obesisty on both sides. Maybe this is something to with family history and our blood pressure. Also many of us sound female, so maybe that also has a factor in it.
I think we need Dr. House.  I was led here today because, once again, this a.m. I had that carbonated bubbly feeling in the back of my head, like most of you are describing.

My best guess is that it is sinus and/or allergy induced.  Is there a sinus cavity in the back of your head that could be trying to open up/unsticking, and that is the feeling of bubbles, those little sensations.My right eyelid is twitching, my muscles ache, and I feel sick too.  

Wish we could get an answer.
I've had this feeling as long as I can remember.

A couple of years ago I was diagnosised with IIH (Ideopathic Intracranial Hypertension), which basically means my CSF is at too high a pressure (someone above described it if you scroll up a little). Could be that these two things are linked. Thing is, when I was being assessed I thought the fizzy feeling was normal, and have done up until an hour ago when my boyfriend heard it and asked what it was.  When I said "It's just that fizzy feeling you get in your neck sometimes" he looked at me very strangly.

Running up to my severe "bout" of IIH headaches my stomach was all wrong. I felt hungry all the time, like, totally empty, but when I ate I would feel really full really quickly.  Noticed a lot of people link hunger pangs and the fizzy feeling
About a month ago I stopped for an evaluation at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville FL to see if anyone there had any clue what this might be. The only thing they found was that I had a severe vitamin D deficiency, but apart from that they couldn't give me any answers either. If that place can't explain it I doubt there's a chance there's anyone else out there who knows what its caused by. Mine seems to happen right after I eat and when I lay down at night. Also, in the past couple months I've developed heart palpitations that seem to occur after I get up, and after I eat a meal. (and after seeing 2 cardiologists still they don't explain to me what could be causing it -- they say its nothing though)
I have something called a syrinx. It is fluid in the spinal cord caused by trauma or Chiari Malformation or past illnesses such as meningitis and others. Please look into it especially if you have any symptoms of nerve damage, carpel tunnel, burning pain in shoulders. My daughter is having this fizzing sound when she excersises and her blood pressure goes up which causes CSF to pulsate. It is probably the tonsils of her brain that have slipped into the cervical area blocking free flow of the fluid. You must get an MRI to show this. With Chiari or syrinx, It is dangerous to strain because it will worsen the symptoms and progress the disorder. Many doctors dont know much about this disorder so you have to tell them about it. It has been a pretty rare thing but they are finding it more and more with the help of MRIs.
Hey alot of up dates here. Well I been trying to gunia pig my self changing habbits and what not. I have stayed away from soda pretty much and if I do have one its most likely caffine free. But the fizzy sound is still there but not as offten like a every day thing just sitting and doing nothing and all of a sudden I feel it. But when I walk i constently hear cracking. I tested and hunched over and walked and it  stopped. I stood up stright and walked I hear it again. My neck area has been feeling slightly stiff also. I am curious if its a sign of arthritis or something. I notice my bones crack alot in other places. But a good strech I'm fine with the stiff feeling the morning is the worse because i am not moving for many hours. But about the fizzy feeling I feel it more when I feel something in my stomach like a growl or bubble feeling. I seriously think its to do with the stomach since 95% of us linked it to hunger pain. But maybe the vidamin D thing might work too so maybe we all should take vidamin daily to get those nutrients we are probably missing. I just suggest do different things then you are doing now. If you dont work out then start to work out. If you eat un healthy start eatting healthy, if your a soda drinker then drink water. You get the drift. But since I seriosuly stop drinking pop I really havent noticed the fizzy feeling my my neck I had started back on pop the non caffine ones I'm starting to feel it every now and then before i didnt feel it for a week or two. now its happening more. So I really think its to do with the stomach. Maybe its something so simple like a certain acid we intake that our body does not agree with. who knows just be more alert of whats in the food you eat try to link things together like if your big on drinking coffee stop drinking it for a couple weeks see if theres a difference. If nothing happens stop doing something else you do EVERYDAY and coupld possibly be doing this.
Another strange symptom I have that may or may not be related to this is that I seem to get a LOT of heart palpitations. It seems to happen almost every time I eat, and often when I either stand up or climb stairs. I'm not exactly in the best shape of my life, but I've been seen my two cardiologists about this including having a holter monitor, echocardiogram, and even an event monitor. They see the palpitations but dont seem to see any danger in them. As usual I beg to differ, it may not be dangerous but it certainly is abnormal and an explanation as to why its happening and why it started out of nowhere would be helpful. Again not certain if its related to this or not.
I also experience this. It started over 3 years ago when I was pregnant. (I noticed 2 or 3 previous posts stating the same thing.)  I would get the hunger pangs and start feeling the fizzles. I was constantly hungry when I was pregnant and gained a lot of weight which I have since lost and regained. Now every time I feel hungry I get the pop rocks sensation in my neck. I have felt it while sitting up and lying down.
I am very curious about what is causing this. Like everyone else, I just want to make sure it is nothing serious and find out how to stop it.

I am 27 years old, I have a history of depression, insomnia, anxiety. I have had numerous surgeries on my eardrums. My mother has SEVERE sleep apnea which I have not been tested for yet. I don't have any kind of stomach problems that I know about.

Keep posting everyone!
I too have this sound in the back of my head/neck! June of 2008 I was diagnosed with Chiari 1 Malformation.

The Chiari malformation is an abnormality in the lower part of the brain called the cerebellum,  Less commonly, it may be known as Arnold-Chiari malformation, tonsillar herniation or tonsillar ectopia. Most cases of Chiari are congenital, meaning they are present from birth.

In normal anatomy, the cerebellar tonsils are located just above a line called the foramen magnum. But in an individual with Chiari, the tonsils hang below the line (herniate) into the spinal canal. The degree to which the tonsils extend can vary tremendously.

The most common symptom of Chiari malformation is a headache, which begins at the back of the head (neck) and radiates upward. The pain is often made worse or can be brought on by coughing, sneezing or straining. These activities are known as valsalva maneuvers.

Visual problems such as nystagmus (involuntary eye movements), double or blurred vision may occur. Balance difficulties, vertigo and dizziness also may be present. Some people may have cranial nerve compression. This can result in apnea (cessation of breathing), gagging, swallowing difficulties, facial numbness or syncope (temporary loss of consciousness).

Patients may have muscle weakness, particularly in the upper extremities, coordination problems, and gait abnormalities. Imaging of the spine may reveal a fluid collection inside of the spinal cord, known as a syrinx. Some individuals may have hydrocephalus, a buildup of fluid in the ventricles of the brain.

The only way to find out if you have this disorder is to get a MRI done! For more info go to http://www.*****************/disorders/chiari-malformation/
For more info on Chiari malformation or syringomyelia (syrinx) please see the chiari forum here on MedHelp

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Chiari-Malformation/show/257?camp=msc
i have had this for aslong as i can remember i am eighteen and it often happens when i am hungry like a few of you also have had it normally accompanies stomach growlings and i often get short sharp stabbing bloody painful head aches im not sure if they're related at all. its like a fizzing or bubbling electrical sound at the base of the skull its difficult to describe. i had intestinal worms a few years ago that i got from the family dog could that have anything to do with it? i have wantede to go to the doctor but i sound crazy saying it to myslef let alone the family GP.
I have many neurological problem, Migraines & strokes for 20 years and have NEVER heard of this symptom.  I have learned enough to know that when you have something this strange and your doctor hasn't heard of it, or writes it off, that you need to go somewhere else.  Fizzy or bubbling noise in the back of the neck obviously seems like a liquid squeezing through a kink, or air in the fluid (?blood, CSF).  In any case it sounds serious.  I have found that the Mayo Clinic in Mn doesn't ignore strange symptoms.  In fact they have heard of most of them.  If they haven't, they don't send you home until they find the answer.  You don't need a dr's referral to go.  Just call them.  It might help get in quicker if your dr is willing to refer.  If they ask about what primary area you need, tell them neurological or circulatory areas.  I would not let this go.  What ever is causing this will probably get worse.  It would be best to know what it is before than.  I know how comforting it is to find others with the same symptoms, that you're not crazy, but I have learned that it doesn't make it OK or normal.  Please get help and don't quit.  I would also take a printing of the many reports from others who have written in with the same neck noises.  Good luck & God bless you all.
I have this and am SOOOO glad other people have experience it and not just me. Does anyone know how to STOP this? The only way I can is to eat and drink a TON of water. It wakes me up at 3 am almost every night. ANY ideas on how to get this to stop? Atleast during the night??
Tried Mayo Clinic.. the one in Jacksonville not MN but what's the difference.. they basically didn't give me an answer.. perhaps maybe I just wasn't there long enough, but nonetheless they pretty much didn't have much to tell me..
Hi Everyone!

I to have this fizzing sensation for maybe about a year or maybe even more. They've been much more frequent later. I also have frequent pain in my right shoulder - which I attribute to a car accident 5 years ago, but it might not be that. I woke up early this morning and it kept me awake for a good 10 minutes.

I'm wondering if anyone has been diagnosed with Arnold-Chiari malformation as a result of this fizzing sensation?

Has anyone brought these posts to a doctor?

TX

Grace
I have tried to bring these to a couple doctors and unfortunately as one would expect that didn't seem willing even acknowledge them. Though I agree the internet is probably not the best source of medical advice, the fact is for a weird symptom like this the internet is the perfect place for information because at least people on here understanding what you're talking about instead of looking at you with a 'huh?' face.. eitherway sorry to rant. I have shown my brain MRI taken last year to the brain center at UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center) -- they didn't detect any anomalies so I'm assuming if they are a panel of brain surgeons had it been Arnold Chiari malformation they would've said something to me. It might not hurt to ask your own source, but based on what they told me I gave up on that suggestion a long time ago.
Thank God I'm not crazy!! I've been very concerned lately and even considered seeing my doctor about this. Though going to see the doctor is not easy for me due to no insurance! I have the same feeling in my head, a fizzing bubbly sensation that I can hear as well. It only last a few seconds and comes and goes. It doesn't hurt, actually tickles. I've been experiencing it for a few months now and was starting to feel very worried until I saw this and saw that a lot of other people are experiencing it! It's still scary though! Feels like fluid, possibly blood bubbling inside my brain! I'm only 23 so I don't know what it could be, my biggest fear has been that it's a brain tumor. What the hell is it!!??
I been testing my self.. I been putting my self through alot of hell to try to pin point what trigers it. I had stop drinking soda pop period and drink lots of water or some juice it stoped for some time for like 2 1/2 weeks i didnt feel the sensation but i still felt the and heard the clicking sound when i walk. I started back on soda pop on purpose to see if it will start up again. Sure enough it started up again a week later of drinking soda pop every day and little or no water. I dont know exaclty what that means I dont know if its the acid in soda pop or what. I just know it stopped after being consitiant on water and no soda pop at all I would drink water or lemonade. So I'm going to stop drinking soda pop again and im going to be excericing more. Its warmer out so I thought its a good idea since i dont drive anyway I would ride my bike to work. I jsut went and bought $70 of stuff i need which is awesome tube that last 5 X longer and it fix it self if i get something poked in it. Anywho as I said in a earlier post a few months ago I am going to do all i can on my part to change any habit that might be causing this. And I pray that clicking sounda and feeling goes away to when i walk and lately its been when i am even siting down and i turn my neck or torso a certain way which is random I never know which movement will trigger it. Good luck all try to change your daily habit if your not living healthy life maybe we are causing this.. who knows
I am 37 and have experienced this all my life. Over the last year the frequency has increased dramatically, I don't know why.  I also get it when lying down resting. No-one knew what I was talking about but when I met my partner he knew exactly what I was talking straight away as if it was normal.

I don't notice it's when I'm hungry but i see alot of you have.  I heard lately that there's a sensor in your brain that if you chew your food alot it helps tell your digestive system your full/getting full. I was told this is in your brain at the base of your head where your head and neck meet.

I wonder if there's a possible link .....
For the past 4 months I have been experiencing the bubbles or sizzling sound in the back of my skull/neck.  In Jan/Feb  of this year I was very ill along with it.  I had migraines with visual disturbances and perception trouble.   My nervous system was malfunctioning.  When I would be drifting off to sleep it felt like I was having the falling off the cliff feeling about 5-10 times before going to sleep.  It felt as though my body was shutting down before I went to sleep.  Sometimes I felt I would forget how to breath.  I was having spasms in legs.  One morning I woke up with weakness in both arms and my vision was like looking through frosty glass.  That was very scary.  I was referred to a neurologist.  I mentioned to him my fear of brain parasites.  He brushed it off by saying no.  About a month later I had an MRI and I still have not heard anything from the MRI.  That was about a month ago.  No news is suppose to be good news.  I had 8 blood test and all have come back normal.  

The symptoms I had in Jan/Feb and early March have faded.  My doctor put it down to some sort of viral infection.  But, I still hear the bubbles.  For a few weeks I felt more like myself and rarely heard the bubbles.  My mental function seemed to be more clear.  I was getting on top of things.  It is now mid May and now I'm experiencing digestion trouble.  Oily, fowl smelling poo.  So I reported it to the doctor.  She has referred me to a gastorentologist (sp?).  And my last period was the worst I can remember.  I spotted pink for several days and had so much pain and tension.  This past Sunday I was cleaning up after using the toilet and saw something strange on the paper.  It looked like a grain of rice but different.  Doctor has requested a poo sample and  I have sent that off.  She's also given me medicine to get rid of most parasites.  She was puzzled by the worm on my tissue (I had taken a picture of it).  She never had seen one like that before.

I get the hunger with the bubble sound.  And now I'm starting to wonder if the bubble sound is actually the sound of parasites in my stomach and intestines resonating up my spine.  I mentioned this to my doctor but she didn't think so but I have gathered that she doesn't have much experience with parasite problems.  I looked on other sites where people had parasites and they mentioned being able to hear them.  

I along with everyone else is so desperate to be taken serious.  Not to be looked at like I've gone crazy.  I want to get to the bottom of this and be cured.  I don't think I can live this way.  Just the fact that I can not find anyone to take me serious is causing much distress and makes me feel hopeless.  

I thought I would mention the parasite possibility so that others can look into that.  The hungry feeling coincides with this idea as the parasites are eating all the food and stealing nutrition and cause digesting complications.  And if the bubbly sound happens mostly when you lay down that goes along with information I have fond which shows that parasites are most active when we are resting.  I don't want to scare anyone.  I just want to give everyone something else to ask their doctors about.  Keep an eye on your poo and see if you notice any eggs or worms.  There are sites to show what to look out for.   My doctor is still investigating.  As I find out more I will keep everyone informed.  My prayer is that we all can find out the source of this before the 'not knowing' drives us insane.
Good day all,

I am having the same symptoms. Getting a squirting/fizzing sound in my neck from the base of my skull to my shoulders. I went into my chiropractor and he said that this is normal for a person my age (25). He says this is built of fluid in your joints from lack of movement. I work at a computer 40 hours a week. I got an ultrasound, soft-tissue massage, and a spinal adjustment. He says it will go away soon with this one-a-month treatment plan. Also, if you're older, he said it could be built up calcium deposits which pose a greater risk to your health and you should seek chiropractic guidance. Message me if you have additional questions.
omg....i have had this problem for quite some time now....
i'm 16 years old and i'm a little goofy...so when i tell my friends they all
just laugh at me and even my biology teacher said i wasn't making any sense. you guys just don't understand the relief i feel from hearing you all talk about this subject. i don't really have the head pains but i know that this does occur when i am like really really hungry. i tell everyone that i'm so hungry i feel it in m neck and they just laugh...but thank you so much for posting this...i now know that i am not alone. ^_^ thank you so much...only if i actually knew what is causing it...is it just hunger?
I just talked to my boss ( a chiropractor) about this and he honestly
didn't look at me like I was crazy he said if adjustments didn't work to try and relax since he knows I am in a very stressful situation and to see an internist since they go to many many more years of schooling than normal doctors so you know you will get someone that cares about what they are doing... I'll let you know how it goes
Does anyone else have a connection with this fizzing noise and ANXIETY?
Any anxiety disorder that might go hand in hand with this?
I do, for sure!

Hey! Hey! Does anyone think that it might be stomach acid bubbling up our throat or something because we're anticipating eating? I might be wrong, sounds really funny i know, but once before i heard someone say that when you're hungry and you imagine seeing food, tasting it, or eating it , that your stomach acids start to churn in preparation for it and that's one of the reasons why it's not good to let yourself go hungry....... Idk ..... just thinkin
Hi everyone, I'm a 27 year old female, and have been experiencing the same thing for about 3 years now. Last year I went to a neurologist to find out what the problem was because I was experiencing the strange buzzing sensation and other symptoms that were like MS. I had an MRI, and....it was Normal. I felt like a crazy person too! I was diagnosed with varient migraines, because instead of head aches, I get sharp pin ***** sensations through out my body, especially when I eat certian foods. The major trigger is anything with FAKE SUGAR (aspertame, phenylalanine). I am also overweight and have been under a lot of stress with school. My husband thinks I'm a hypochondriac, but I feel a little better knowing others are experiencing the same thing,  The amazing thing is that mine also occurs when I'm really hungry, mostly at night.

high pulse usually around 80-90 at rest
overweight
stressed
varient migraines
slight scoliosis - feel down a flight of stairs at age 4
mild eczema/psoriasis
seasonal allergies

surgeries with general anesthetics....
wisdom teeth removed
laparoscopy endometriosis
2 tubal pregnancies (removed by laparoscopy) onset of buzzing began after 1st one

extras......
Ohioan
have been to Europe twice, Canada and Hawaii (if a parasite could be the culprit)
salmanella poisoning at age 11

I feel the same sound. Male - 26

Comes generally when I am hungry. Spend 12 hours a day in front of computer.

Regular Gym goer.

some what overweight (both muscles + fat), have a big head as well, am allergic too.  Always had a weight issue.

Used to have parasites when I was a child.  Seems like we need to connect all these and insert some missing links.
Dear fellow neck Fizzers.

34 yrs old. Male.  6 foot. 195 lbs

I've had the "rain stick" symptom off and on for over a decade.   I found it strange but I had no pain so I wouldn't worry about it.  I had it again this morning so I decided to look it up.  I'm glad to see the internet has hooked me up with a massive group of people with the same issue but am also disappointed that there is no obvious answer to what's causing it.
I can't pinpoint it to any particular injury or anything.  I do get it with the hunger sensation.  Here are some specifics re how it happens for me

-Comes and goes.  I can go months without having it
-In bed as I wake up.
-Usually hungry but not always.  If I am hungry the fizzing is more intense seems to happen almost in sync with a stomach growl
- Back of the neck, feels as though its happening within the spinal column itself. Feels as though it's more on the left side than the right
- The "Fizz" last 3 seconds in 30 second intervals roughly
- No pain of any sort.  Just the noise and the sensation
- Don't notice it when standing
- I do have the bad habit of 'cracking' my neck and back

Looks like we're on to something.  Although I really don't think there is anything to worry about there are too many posts in this room alone to dismiss it as real.

Good luck to all and if you do uncover something promising please be sure to post it here!
I agree - I get the sensation only when I'm stressed. See my previous post dated January 17.

When I was a teenager I was quite shy and very often would get neck tremors when having to look up at someone.
I seem to get it shortly after almost every time I eat, and when I'm changing sleeping positions. If I lay on my left side all night, and I wake up and roll to the right, fizzing noise. My girlfriend claims she can hear it when her heads up against me, but she says she hears it coming more strongly from the region of my heart. She describes it as hearing an egg just being dropped on a grill. This wouldn't surprise me as I have had a lot of unexplained heart palpitations for over a year now as well.
Like nearly everybody else, I'm quite surprised to see all these people that have suffered from this problem. I'm 21 years old and have dealt with this "fizzing" sound for as long as I can remember. I've always wondered what it was. When I was younger, I thought it was blood rushing through my head or something. I seriously doubt that's what it is, though, lol.

Anyway, some of you mentioned feeling/hearing it when you're hungry or when your stomach growls. I have that same problem. I have irritable bowel syndrome, so I often get gas (TMI?) and my stomach rumbles quite often. I noticed that I usually get the fizzing sensation when my stomach growls, so I decided to put it to the test. I got a stethoscope and held it to my abdomen. Right when the fizzing would happen in the back of my head, I could hear my stomach growl through the stethoscope exactly in sync with the fizzing. Weird, huh? I wonder how it's connected and what is making it do that. It's bizarre! I wish I knew what it was. The not knowing bugs me a lot.

If any of you have tried (or plan to try) the stethoscope test, let me know how it goes!
I experience this too! I always thought it was some fluid running down my spine but I have a theory as to what it is now. I think it is stomach vapors moving your epiglottis (spelling?) or air bubbles around in your throat and that is what you are actually hearing. My stomach always growls at the exact time it happens. When I think about it, it doesn't SEEM like it would be this, but I have convinced myself that this is what it is.
i have had this problem also. it only happens a few times during the week a few minutes after waking up while i am lying down. my left shoulder and left side of neck also have random pains, sometimes my back and chest (where my heart is). i got a checkup and everything turned out okay. i have been diagnosed with GERD (acid reflux). my neck feels kind of gritty when i move it too. i'm 14 never had any accidents but i have anxiety problems. any idea what it is?
i also get it when i stretch (like in the morning you put your hands up and.. you know).
According to the research ive done, it seems to be Cerebro Spinal Fluid. Its produced at a rate of 500ml/day. Since the brain can only contain 150ml a day, the amounts are drained into the blood through arachnoid granulations (that fizzy/grains of sand sound) 3.7 times a day. So its normal it seems.
This is awesome!!! I thought that I was weird or something! Bless the almighty gods of google. I've had rainstick for about uhhhhhh a year or so. I only get it after I wake up. I think it's because when your lying down, ur spine fluid coincides with you lying down (I hope I used coincide the right way!) and then when you stand up, the fluid splooshes and traps bubbles and since the bubbles are lighter than air, they float back up!
My info: I'm a 12 year old male i think I'm like a little over 100 pounds, I have psoroisis on the scalp (basically sorta like dandruff, and basically comes along with the whole puberty thing) I also am not a drinker or a smoker (duhhhhh) and am perfectly healthy, except if I get the stomach flu, it's like I caught h1n1. So maybe it has 2 do with my stomach
ya i get it when im hungry, also i smoke pot, and i noticed when i stop smoking it for a while it stops, i dont know if its just the munchies causing it or what lol! but yes it is annoying! and it is quite uncomfortable, while not quite a painfull sensation, it does leave a feeling of nausea!
I have never noticed it while I was hungry... I think the hunger theory is out for me. I've paid attention to it over the past few months and it never coincides with my hunger. Very odd for the people who have that though!

Mine got really bad the other day and it scared me because it happened after an episode where it felt like my heartbeat was in the back of my head. I did have a bad headache all day and then the blood started pulsing right at the base of my skull. After that stopped, I could really hear the fizzing noise pretty loudly. It lasted for awhile and then just stopped. My headache didn't go away until the next day though.

I told my mom about it and she said I should have a lumbar puncture to check my fluid... this is something I've always thought about too, but no doctor has ever mentioned it. How do you randomly go ask a doctor if they'll do it?! It would be nice to know, though because I do suffer from bad DAILY headaches and no migraine medication has ever helped me.

I did just find out that I have 2 ruptured discs in my neck and have undergone nerve blocks for the pain. I've also seen a chiropractor for a couple years and he works on my neck. But, I've dealt with this fizzing noise my entire life. I don't believe it's related to the discs, but maybe the pain I've always had in the base of my skull.

I was tested for Arnold-Chiari Malformation (but only by CT) and it came back negative. I did come across this posting, though and it makes me wonder if this could be the cause? It's a little scary...

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/Strange-Sound-in-Neck/show/294281

The doctor calls it Pulsatile Tinnitus.. but when I looked it up, it talked about the ears. Interesting thing is, I suffer from chronic tinnitus and I remember the day both ears popped and fluttered and the ringing began. I wonder if it's somehow related to the sound in my neck.

ANYONE ELSE SUFFER FROM RINGING EARS? What about floaters? I noticed a lot of people suffer from headaches as well. It seems like it would all be related...
Wow! I wish someone new what this is. I get it when im stressed, I get tension head aches. I drink coffee and it causes my body to tense up. I get a kink in my neck and very sore in the shoulder blades. I told my Chiro about the noise and I got the crazy look. I hesitated to even say anything. If I cut out the coffe it goes away. I have had my neck totally lock up on me too. I was in a minor boating accident and sufferd whiplash from it. It was the worst pain I have ever felt. I am 38 male, I very between 10 - 20 lbs over weight.
Well i have posted a couple times here and been trying different things and such.. But i really think the fuzzy sound has something to do with soda pop. Like recently last week i was laid off up until yesterday. I have only had 1 soda drink that whole week. I barely felt the fizzing sound. I went to work yesterday drank 3 sodas (no caffine) came home I started to feel it more offten. I think it does have something to do with soda pop. Im feeling it a little today but i havent had a pop today I have been sick though. I do know i feel like a swooshing or grinding feeling when i walk. I have not figure that one out yet. I do know it started shortly after i was laying on the floor and my daughter pushed on my neck (accident) and i felt a crack but it didnt hurt. It felt weird but shortly went away. for the most part i dont feel the fizzing sound when i am out and about. I feel it more at home which meaning i could be relaxing. I did have a time for when i woke up i felt kinda stiff but could move and i noticed i feel my bones cracking more all over my body esp my spine. i have felt that when i strech i can feel it too but after i strech i hardly get a feeling of the fizzy sound. i dont feel any pain when this happens its just random kinda of a (what was that) feeling. i do know i used to crack my back often esp when the fizzy sound started regularly i felt that may helped it like releasing pressure. But i havent really done it lately i havent had the urge to like i used to. But my fondist memory of first feeling the fizzy sound was when i was giving birth to my daughter but i hadnt ate in over a day so it goes along with the hungry feeling but i couldnt feel the hunger because i was numb in the stomach area. But i did feel it in my neck i mentioned something to a nurse but she looked at me crazy.. but after i gave birth to my daughter i was STARVING I ate a sandwhich like every hour i didnt feel fizzy feeling but i felt like nothing was feeling me up. after i gave birth to her i didnt feel the fizzy feeling until last year i felt it before my daughter accidently sat on my neck and popped it but after that i started feeling the grinding swooshing feeling .. again there is no pain just me freaking out when i feel it..lol I am over weight like 60-70 lbs over weight, i dont drink, smoke or do any drugs. I dont drink tea, coffee, I drink soda but breaking off it since i diff notice a improvement since i stop. I dont work out obviously..lol nothing clinicly has been dignosed besides Psoriasis .. when i take a deep breath i feel some fizzing .  I wonder if its a lack of oxygen? but it doesnt match up because of the hunger and fizzing at the same time. maybe stomach problem like not digesting acid right and lack of oxygen?
oh and since it started it had started really far apart then it got closer (during child brith) then it stopped completely for like almost 3 years it was close but now its not that close and a thought came to me to post again to say that i NOTICE it more when im doing nothing which is at the computer i do spend alot of time on here so posture could be a issue also? im really thinking its things we can do to change it. I think maybe it happen because of the things we do or dont do and etc. i want to move around more try to loose some weight and eat healthy. since people are having MRI's done and all that every seems normal maybe its something that you need to change or start doing.
it seems that the one thing many people have in common is that they crack their spine/neck...
I have been explaining this sensation to my husband and doctor myself. As all the others, I too get the LOOK! I seem to get the stomach sensation also, but not always! Mine is mostly when I lay down, but also, not always! I have tried to notice every symptom when it happens and have found that I feel the tingle, pressure, then nausea, tingle though the body, intense heat through the body and last but not least, I get a flush of color throughout my whole body! Looks just like I came out of a tanning bed, but all go away in about 2 min. I am going through testing right now for the other symptoms going on, but this system does not seem to matter when I tell doctors! Thank god I am not going crazy!  Can't believe I have found others!
I get it too. I think it's just upper abdominal / neck tension constricting spinal fluid flow. Maybe Yoga would help. It's annoying and weird I agree.

Perhaps we should keep a log.

Do you tense up your neck and shoulders at a computer or while driving?
Are you anxious?
Do you stoop when you walk?
Do you drink soda the day it happens? (Maybe some kind of gas absorbtion. Hmm.)

Well answer those when it happens.
jON I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING THE SAME SODA POP SOUNDS IN THE BACK OF MY THROAT. THEY SIZZLE LIKE A CAN OD SODA.  HAS ANYONE GIVEN AN REASON WHY THIS HAPPENING??? I GOING TO BUY SOMETHING FOR ANACIDE TOMORROW. I KEEP TRYING TO COUGH TO MAKE IT STOP BUT IT WONT STOP. I OPEN MY MOUTH AND IT SOUNDS LIKE IT'S SIZZLING PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! TRACY
Thank God Other people have "fizzies"  I am not too worried now.  :)  I  have had them for years, but after having a baby and getting epidurals and spinal block and c-section they have gotten worse.  I honestly believe that it has had something to do with it.  At least I am not the only one... Yeah!!!  
Hey everyone. Nice to know I'm not alone, but I still don't see any answers... I'm worried about it.
I also wanted to say, I'm thinking about linking this to stress/anxiety. It seems like a lot of people that are saying they have this from time to time are saying they have anxiety... I know that's my case. Still freaked out. Keep posted!
Dude I thought I was the only person who could hear that.  I was driving in the car today an hadn't eating all day.  I heard the noise and asked my wife if she ever heard that noise, she thought I was crazy.  She never heard of any kind of noise like that.  I heard the fizzing noise since I was a child.  I always thought it meant I was really really hungry since it was the only time I could hear the noise.
I've had it for years myself. I'm only 19 though. I hear it almost exclusively when I'm hungry too, but not every time. I hope someone finds something out.
I've had this same problem in the past few months or so. I'm 17 years old and go through a lot of stress/depression. The sound is similar to a rain stick or fizzling, it happens at the randomest of times. It's so bothersome! I haven't been able to sleep like I've used to and my neck and back are hurting as well. The sound does happen either before my stomach growls or after. I've also been having a weird sensation in my head, like my head feels full or like it's going to explode. My body has also been feeling week and numb. Truthfully I'm quite scared and worried.. it's causing more and more stress.. I really wish we all knew what we have!
I'm 36 and have been experiencing this same sensation at the back of my neck (usually when I'm hungry and standing or sitting, never when I'm laying down).  I've had it for about 5 yrs now and it doesn't sound familiar to anyone else.  I also get migraines, occasional nauseau (probably from the migraines) and stuffy ears.  I just live with it...
I can't believe how many crazy people are going through this too. I guess we're no crazy. I just plain told my doctor that I have gas in my neck and he laughed along with me. He never heard of it but said not to worry about it since I'd never been hurt or had an accident. I really think that it has something to do with stomach growling activity also. Sometimes, I even get pressure up in my head and feel like by head could explode. My grandma has this and says that no one ever believes her either. I sounds like no one know what this is but I DID go on a sugar-free, cafein-free diet for a while and had no bloating in my stomach what so ever and my neck stop making the noises. As soon as I starting eating some normal food again, the next noises started up again. It really believer has something to do with our stomach gases. I sure hope that someone can figure out what is going on. But, like some of the other people said, after a while, you just don't worry about it anymore.
This thread is crazy long!

I used to get all kinds of strange sounds and feelings in my rear neck, and head, and sometimes with vision and hearing going out.  It's been years since I've had it happen, and I'd say it's due to regular physical activity and better nutrition and hydration.

This goes for all nerve/muscular symptoms...

It could be something very simple...

One possibility:

"Magnesium deficiency symptoms involving the peripheral nervous system include numbness, tingling, and other abnormal sensations, such as zips, zaps and vibratory sensations."

The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition
Michael Schachter M.D., F.A.C.A.M.
(Online article)

Viewing 1-200 comments: