Neurology Expert Forum
Fluid leaking out of skull?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Fluid leaking out of skull?

Just wondering what this might be, and if it's anything to be concerned about.

I recently had quite a large volume of liquid or fluid seemingly leaking out my skull. Or that's what it felt like anyway - a cold, wet sensation starting at the top of my head, then the feeling of liquid/water flowing down from that point down my face and the side of my head. It felt like my face was being drenched by rain, but it was dry (on the outside anyway).

If I tipped my head back every few seconds, a load of it would go down my throat (tasted creamy!) and more would start seeping out at the top of my head. My head was leaking like a faucet at one point.

While this was going on, my eyelids would start fluttering rapidly, and my breathing would become deep and forced - from the diaphragm.

This happened a while ago, and I seem completely fine, though there's still the occasional small amount leaking out.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

This is quite a strange symptom you are describing. Metabolic abnormalities like electrolyte derangements can cause changes in skin sensation. Stress or other conditions leading to hyperventilation can also cause transient changes in electrolytes and cause these changes in skin sensation.

You are saying this happened just once? If you experience this kind of event repeatedly in a stereotyoed manner, one differential to consider is seizures. Parietal lobe seizures may cause changes in sensory perception like what you are describing.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck
On the topic of loss of equilibrium. I slipped and stabbed my ear with a Q-tip at age 15 I'm a single male 27 with no medical history over 15 years. I suffer from some kind of sensory deception, night's terrors, and what sometimes seems to be an inability to recognize the awareness of motion. I shake quite regularity, randomly and uncontrollably. I feel like a nuisance after being brushed off too many times. My symptom is I awake in the night to an earthquake shaking my house... after panic and terror subside, as I calm down it's soon apparent that it's only my heart beating. SKYDIVING WITHOUT EQUILIBRIUM AN AVERAGE OF 15 JUMPS A WEEK.....DANGEROUS SAFE.... MORE STUDY NEEDED? I've dealt with the rest and adapted over my life but I live to skydive and don't want it taken away.
Is that the feeling where... you know those rainmaker toys that people bought years ago before the they were prohibited and endangered. Looked like a stick of bamboo sealed at the ends and when you turned it over it sounded like rice falling... through the head each time you roll over, not exactly pain put pure torture.