Neurology Expert Forum
Flushing

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Flushing

I have noticed lately that I have been experiencing flushing type sensations several times a day. I am 42, female and taking 400mg of Carbatrol daily, along with Baclofen and Prozac. The flushing is felt mostly in my face, hands and legs. It lasts about 1-2 minutes and then is gone. My latest MRI showed 2 non-specific lesions that did not enhance. I have had a couple seizures since the Carbartol, but not bad. My seizures are do to nutritional defecincies that have been under control for over a year. Do you think that the seizures will resolve, or will it be something that I will deal with for years? Also, what do you think could be causing the flushing? I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago and had no problems with this until just recently. I will be seeing my Dr. next month to tell him of the seizures that are still occuring and to discuss if a spinal tap is needed. Often I feel as if I am running a low grade temperature. EEG's: first one showed seizures in the left frontal lobe, the second normal. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help
Would need to personally evaluate you and your info regarding seizures (EEG results, type of seizure, exact cause - which vitamin deficiency, etc...) before I could make an accurate clinical comment as to your prognosis. This may be better answered by your neurologist who has had the opportunity to examine you and take your clinical history in detail.  

As for the flushing, my first thought would be a hormonal disorder such as menopausal symptoms, but this would be unlikely given that you've had a hysterectomy, unless you've started or changed recently your hormone replacement therapy.  Thryoid disorders can also cause similar symptoms.  It's very unlikely to be due to the brain lesions.

If you do feel that you're running a temperature, start some kind of chart where you record your oral temp (taken with same thermometer) throughout the day when you feel warm for a week or two.  See if there's a pattern or if there's really an increase in temperature.  If you're truly having low grade fevers, you should let your primary care physician know so that the appropriate workup can be started such as a complete blood count, routine electrolytes, blood cultures, chest XRay, etc... Good luck.
It may be due to prozac which you are using, the other explanation of flushing is inrease in blood the level of FSH.
You can have you hormonal assay of FSH.