Neurology Community
Focal Region of Hypodensity in Central Pons

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

A CT scan without contrast that I had done recently revealed a "focal region of hypodensity in the central pons, which may represent artifact." What does this [potentially] mean? Has anyone had anything similar show up in their results? I'm not sure what "artifact" means in this sense, so I would appreciate some input.

This scan was done in the ER after I checked in feeling as though I was going to pass out, particularly due to weakness down my left side, dizziness, random small muscle spasms (left-sided, mainly), increased intensity of my essential tremor, and a terrible headache. I have had an MRI with contrast done recently--in late July--which showed a large pineal cyst (13mm), though it didn't appear to be enhancing at this time. Is this focal region of hypodensity potentially the pineal cyst, or a part of it? The ER doctor told me (and the radiologist report alludes to this as well) that they didn't really see any pineal cyst...so I'm curious as to what this hypodense region might represent. The radiologists interpreting my CT scan results didn't think the hypodense region could be causing my symptoms.

I think the symptoms I experienced that night may have been a result of drug interactions--Provigil and Propranolol--and then the 24oz of Mountain Dew I drank that day...hah.

Thanks for writing in.
It is difficult to tell without examination as to what that hypodense lesion in pons could be. It could be an area of infarction due to stroke as you had neurological symptoms that resemble stroke. Other possibilities are chronic headaches, pontine glioma, migraines, high BP and diabetes.
Please consult a neurologist. Take care!

Thank you for your help! I'm seeing a neurologist somewhat regularly (every 4 - 6 weeks), but I won't be seeing him for another two weeks at this point, so I was just curious as to what the potential culprits of a hypodense region on the pons were.