Neurology Community
Focus of encephalomalacia and gliosis.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Focus of encephalomalacia and gliosis.

My son is 8-years-old now.  When he borned he was loosing oxygen cause his neck was twisted with the umbilical cord, an emergency C'section was performed, he had a seizure episode for 5 seconds.  He was transfered to NICU for 17 days.  When he turned 6 months old he had another seizure episode of unknown origin.  He was ordered to take Phenobarbital for 2 years.  Never had another episode thank God. Now he is 8 years old and he was ordered to have an MRI of the Brain.  He is having a delay in learning, speech delay, limited volcabulary while speaking, difficulty concentrating and focusing in school.  He is in regular 2nd grade with A, B and C, and D grades..  His results of the MRI done Monday have me concerned.  Please help me understand this.  His appointment is next month with the Pediatric Neuroligist.

CLINICAL HISTORY:  Seizures, headaches and Dizziness.
FINDINGS:  There is no parenchymal hemorrhage or mass effect or midline shift.  No abnormal extra-axial fluid collections are identified.  The ventricular system is normal in size and configuration.    Basilar cisterns are patent.   There is a cavum septum pellucidum and cavum vergae. There is a tubular shaped focus of bright T2 and FLAIR signal in the right corona radiata and extending into the right basal ganglia and external capsule and also the region of the caudothalamic groove.  This is well profiled on axial images #10 to #12 and especially coronal image #12.  It is most consistent with a focus of encephalomalacia and gliosis.  This could be a function of prior ischemia.  Sequela of germinal matrix hemorrhage with focal Wallerian degeneration could result in this appearance.  Demyelinating process would be less likely.  Post-inflammatory residua should also be considered. The posterior fossa appears normal. There is normal cortical fold pattern. Mastoids are clear.  Normal cavernous carotid flow voids are seen.  There is inflammatory mucosal thickening in the maxillary sinuses.
IMPRESSION:1.  SMALL TUBULAR SHAPED FOCUS OF ABNORMAL T2 AND FLAIR SIGNAL IN THE RIGHT BASAL GANGLIA EXTENDING TO THE CORONA RADIATA AND EXTERNAL CAPSULE REGION WITH DIFFERENTIAL CONSIDERATIONS AS ABOVE.  FOLLOW UP IMAGING COULD BE PERFORMED TO CONFIRM STABILITY. 2.  INFLAMMATORY MUCOSAL THICKENING MAXILLARY SINUSES. 3.  INCIDENTAL CAVUM SEPTUM PELLUCIDUM AND CAVUM VERGAE.
hello i was told that i had encephalomalacia and gliosis in the left frontal lobe..what is this and is it dangerous,please let me know i can,t find anything about it so i figure that it wasn,t...thanks janice