Neurology Community
Foggy after Eating

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Foggy after Eating

It's good to see some other people are going through the same thing.
No matter what I eat, I get this foggy, disconnected feeling. Concentrating and thinking on my feet aren't up to speed. I don't completely feel like myself.
A lot of times I'll feel back to normal when I wake up. It all changes when I start to eat.
I wouldn't say my symptoms include pain or feeling off-balance like some people have mentioned. But this issue bothers me to the core. Work and social interactions become more laborious and uncomfortable.
I'm having a lot of tests done. I'll let everyone know what I find.
Some other mild symptoms I occasionally feel are mild thumping above my forehead and tingling lips. I'm not sure if these are really related.
One of the worst things about this is the confused reactions i get from doctor(s) and others. It is so scary not knowing if I can figure this out.

This discussion is related to Dizziness/foggy feeling.
I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM FOR OVER 7 YEARS NOW, AND GLUTEN FREE DIETS HELP BUT DON'T REMEDY THE PROBLEM.  i HAVE HAD EXTENSIVE FOOD ALLERGIES TESTED, AND I TRY TO AVOID THOSE FOODS; BUT AGAIN THE FOGGY HEAEDED SYMPTOMS PERSIST.  THE HARDEST THING FOR ME IS NOT KNOWING FOR SURE WHAT I'M DEALING WITH--DESPITE SEEING SEVERAL LOCAL SPECIALISTS AND GOING TO MAYO CLINIC.  I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU FIND A REMEDY OR WHAT THE CAUSE OF THIS MIGHT BE.    SHARING YOUR FRUSTRATIONS,  JM
Hi. Thank you for responding to my post. Sometimes, I feel that I get more ideas from other people on these boards than I do from actual doctors.
I've read some people's comments on this board (maybe i can send you the link once I find it) of people saying they had swelling in their sinuses. One person, (I think his user name was "Adam") said he had the same symptoms I described. He had CT Scans of his sinuses, where he was found to have a badly deviated septum and polyps in his maxillary sinuses. He said he had surgery to fix his sinus issues, with no guarantee he would feel better. After the surgery, he felt completely back to normal.
It was only because of what this guy posted, that I had a CT scan done of my sinuses. The doctors didn't suggest this possibility. As it turns out, I had cysts (although not polyps) in my maxillaries and a significantly deviated septum. Similar symptoms to Adam. My doctors seem skeptical of this issue causing my symptoms, so they are having me meet with all these other specialists (Gastro, Blood specialists) to rule out all other possibilities, before I have surgery that may be pointless.

My E-mail is ***@****. I would be interested in hearing about your predicament, as it may help me to figure out mine. Feel free to message me. I would be happy to help someone else figure this out. It is such a pain.
I guess we can't put e-mails on here. You can shoot me a message on this thing if you have any questions.
So, I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia. I have my doubts about this. But it does check out to an extent. I'm told if i alter my diet i can "beat this". However, after restricting myself to lean meats, veggys and water for a weekend, I still felt the effects. I did feel better, but only slightly. The diagnosis resulted in part from a blood test they did on me, a few weeks back. They tested my levels (ie. blood sugar, insulin, vitamins, etc.) after fasting, and compared it to my tested levels immediately after eating. I had a really sugary meal right before the "eating test". The results came back to show an ironically low blood sugar, and vey intense spike in insulin.

I'm still going to do further research on the sinus thing.
email is ajrust1 {at} gmail, if you have any questions.

It's just frustrating to hear they think I have something, that doesn't seem fixable. Not only that, but following the recommended diet still doesn't seem to solve the problem. It doesn't seem to add up.
Are any of your doctors ENT's if not I recommend that you try and find a good one and bring you CT and the results with you.

I hope you get what you need,

achilles2
i get this and it is related to the heart pumping during the digestion process. there is some kind of malfunction there that makes the whole digestion process a nightmare. i find when i have an empty stomach am full of vigour yet then i have to eat to avoid collapsing yet dread eating beause i get all dizzy and foggy.. it is a cirulation issue... also you need to do a massive parasite cleanse as parasites effect this malfunction of digestion as well and no dr ever wants to admit or discuss.. get a good herbal liquid cleanse tonic that has the right mix to kill all parasites. it is either parasites or heart/circulation . try coezyme Q10 too and take vitamin c daily.
Hi I suffer from the very same symptoms you listed. Can you please send me the link you discussed in your post?

Also, have been able to overcome what the problem? If so how did you do it?

My email is ***@****.

Thanks, Lindsay
I have similar symptoms that you describe AND I feel like I am hungover every morning when I wake up.  I also was told I have reactive hypoglycemia from a single test like you described where my insulin shot up and sugar went down.  but I recently wore a continuous glucose monitor and I really dont think that is the right diagnosis.  The symptoms are MUCh worse when I eat sugar but I can't figure out why.  Any new info?
Am i not the only one? ugh! Lord help us all out there. I've been trying and researching things for years. Stress Is not the problem here. Neither is gluten or hundred other types of diets and food alterations. It's something else. But What? What's the latest update?
IGNORE EVERYONE ELSES ANSWER. Figuring this out now and am about 99% sure it is inflamation (inflammation), possibly in the hypothalamus, because of leaky gut which is caused from gut dysbiosis/IBS or intestinal harm from food sensitivities. Leaky gut can bring other problems such as fatigue after eating, and autoimmune reactions to every food. So any type of diet, antibiotics, probiotics you can take to heal your gut for your specific underlying cause, mine being SIBO, should be the solution. I am going with either SCD or GAPS diet, after learning more about foods that feed the bad bacteria for me and eliminating those as well.
yes! eliminating has been my key of survival! I am starting to figure this out too... Somewhat :)
Turned away from all dairy products... started taking essential flora 7. Not sure if it's too soon to come to conclusion yet.. It could be either the probiotic change or the elimination of dairy products...I've noticed my inflammation subsided quite a bit!! Any suggestions on best types of probiotics?
thanks for the advice ^