Neurology Expert Forum
Follow up question on cranial fibrous dysplasia headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hello, this is a follow up post, my second post. Here was my original post from 12/30/06:

http://www.medhelp.org/perl6/neuro/messages/34620.html

And here is the link with a couple MRI slices shown:

www.robertmillerfoundation.org/letter.html

Since I made the last post, I've been diagnosed with a severely deviated septum by an ENT.   He thinks that although the tumor doesn't help with my head pain, he gladly offered me a turbinectomy and septum straitening surgery as he told me it "may" help with my 24/7 frontal headache.

If you were me, would you just say the heck with it and get the turbinectomy to see what happens?  I mean, not to take surgery lightly, but that surgery is no big deal, right?  Plus, I'm sort of in desperation for an answer to my pain since the typical medications (elavil topamax, etc) were of no real help.

My other question is unrelated, but I wanted to ask...Does vigorous exercise pose any risks as far as my 3.5x2.4 cm osteoma is concerned?   I frequently workout---cardiovascular exercise with heart rate of 165-180 for 45 minutes at a time, and some weight lifting.   Should I be worried about any problems with the tumor from intense exercise?   (exercise doesn't make my headache worse, in fact the post-workout endorphine release seems to help a bit).

So, what do you think about these 2 unrelated questions?   And anything else you can offer to help me would be appreciated.  Thank you again, very much.
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.      
    I do not suspect that surgery for your deviated septum will help your headaches.  It is not impossible, as a deviated septum can lead to chronic sinusitis and if the surgery results in the decompression of your sinuses this may help.  However, I think the osteoma that you have would be a more obvious choice as a potential cause of your headaces.  Regardless of the cause, I would suggest medical management first and surgery only if the medical management fails (With the knowledge that the surgery may or may not help the headaches).  I think exercise is a good thing and you are not at risk with your osteoma.  Patients that have mass lesions that cause increased intracranial pressure will often have worsened headaches with coughing, bending over, laughing and with exercise.  Your osteoma does not fall into this category and should not be affected by exercise.    I would recommend a daily headache medication such as elavil 10-25mg given once at night (which takes four weeks to work, so do not stop taking the medication early).  I would also recommend a MRI scan every year to evaluate the growth of your osteoma and an ophthamologic exam (eye exam) every year to look for papiledema (swelling in the back of your eyes-which is a sign of increased intracranial pressure).
I hope this has been helpful.
A related discussion, after 4 massive cervical c4-7 muscles are not attached was started.