Foot Drop after Ankle Surgery
I had a work related injury in 12/07 where I stepped off an step stool and landed on my right foot incorrectly. I did not tear my achilles tendon but it pulled away from my bone. I had a right achilles tendon reimplantation in 4/07. Following surgery I had/have numbness in my first three toes, numbness in the bottom of my heel, hypersensitivity at the incision site and pain along the outside of the right ankle. I had foot drop even with therapy and my footprint is smaller than it used to be, I may have actually gone down a shoe size. I went for a percutaneous right achilles tendon lengthening in 10/07 (Z-plasty). Since then the same symptoms are present and it fells like a string is pulling down my first two toes. I was told I should not have any pain (even Dilaudid does not help the ankle pain) and nothing was done to/near the nerve so I should not have the numbness symptoms. Now my foot is still not able to get to neutral. I can not find a shoe that fits because the foot seems extremely arched. I was told I need an open achilles tendon lengthening. I am going for a second opinion but am now being told that maybe another tendon lengthening surgery should not be done but that I may have to always walk with heeled shoes. I am still walking with a cane, can not walk with my foot underneath me (it is pointed outward). I am also being told I may have a subcondition of cerebal palsy??? Please give any info available or ideas of where I should be looking for help.

Thanks!
Hello.

I can't see any reason why you might want to consider CP. This problem has arisen either during the surgery or due to the initial injury. The connective tissue (plantar fascia) of the sole seems to be contracting. Please consult your orthopedic surgeon and discuss the treatment options. The increased tension in the sole can be released.

Regards