Neurology Expert Forum
Foot Numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Foot Numbness

For a few months, I've been experiencing transient numbness & tingling in my left foot, specifically in my toes and on the sole of my foot. When I'm lying down it subsides. When I'm sitting or walking it returns.

I saw a neurologist at an "academic" hospital and he did an MRI on my Brain, Lumbar, Thoracic, & cervical spine. Other than "minor" bulging discs at L5-L4, & L5-S1, he didn't see any abnormality. He mentioned that he wanted to do an EMG test, but decided against it. He felt that even if the EMG showed an abnormality, there was little he could do to correct the problem. He stated that he felt the numbness was from an "irritated" nerve and would resolve as the nerve regenerates in 6-12 months.

I've done PT with no appreciable response. I tried chiropractic
treatments and it seemed to exacerbate the numbness. Should I seek a 2nd opinion? Could this be the sign of a progressive condition and thus should I have periodic MRIs? Is there anything else that can be done to try to resolve the numbness?

Thank you for your assistance.

Periodic MRI's are not necessary to screen for disc disease. If the problem is completely isolated to the foot, it may be a problem with one of the plantar nerves in the foot. The fact that activities which apply pressure to the foot bring out symptoms, and that rest relieves symptoms, may support this. Perhaps a consult with a podiatrist or orthapedic doctor may be reasonable. Otherwise a second opinion with another neurologist may be reasonable. Good luck.
I had the same problem, but mine happened after major back surgery to those two discs. I recently had nerve blocks done and let me tell you, those helped a bunch. I can function normally again!!! If you feel like your doc isn't telling you what you want to hear, get a second opinion!!
Simple question hopefully!

I have been twitching and have some parathesias for 5 years now. 7 months into it went to Dr Robert Miller who is the Director of the SF ALS/MDA clinic at Univ Cal at SF and he said "normal neuro exam, you are fine". Did not see a need for an emg. Flash forward to today, 5 years later. i saw him again because I still twitch A LOT and it has almost become painful. Conducted an exam, and said that my neuro exam yesetrday "could not have been any better".  Completely normal. Told me : "you may need an  emg to convince YOURself this is benign, I do not need it to convince me".  and looked me firmly in the eye and said "stop it. This is benign" (very nicely!) I declined the emg.

What do you think?

s
regarding chiropractic make sure your chiropractor took x-rays.  make sure he is qualified and well-trained in his practice.  if he tells you what you can do to assist your healing while he is treating you make sure you have done your part.  the inflamation (inflammation) of the spine is causing alot of your irritation and symptoms.
Hi there I stumbled upon this site trying to look up information on my situation. I have exactly what you describe.  I have numbness in my foot, it feels as though my leg is numb, but mostly from my knee down.  My foot is also tingling, I even get that electricity feeling that stems from my lower back to my leg, and it goes up and down all day and all night.
I at one time herniated my disc, L4 L5, and the PT and doctors think I again have bulging discs. I am awaiting a cat scan.

Physio Therapy feel as though it is forver, it has been almost three months, I was GETTING NO relief, and now I am getting a few days relief between treatments.  MIND YOU I STILL am in discomfort, but it is at least bearable.  I wanted to tell you that I am having ACUPUNCTURE done, and this seems to be working for me now.  Maybe you could try this.

I know that going to a CHRIOPRACTURE (sorry not sure on spelling) really inflamed me and made me worse.  I would not go to one. Just a thought.

I know that walking is helping my back, but seems to be inflaming this nerve thing in my leg/and numbness?? is this the same for you. The physio therapist is a bit confused why I still have numbness.......etc.  I think it is nerve related, I want to see a nerologist, by my doc says to wait it out more........!! It has been three months, and I worry that I am doing damage because my leg and foot has been numb for so long.

Anyway, just wanted to add this, I needed to VENT too, I am getting a bit frustrated with my back.  I have three young children and it is tough ......!
51 year old male looking for information on right foot vibrations. Vibration lasts 1 & a half seconds at 4 second intervals. Is this from foot nerves or else where ? I know others on here have had the same vibrations.
                 Thank You !
                             Sincerely,
                                        Greg Evert
                          e-mail; ***@****
Hi all. I recently had spinal fusion surgery for L4-L5. NEver really had much bake pain mostly leg pain. leg pain subsided to a degree but numbnes was getting worse. I still have numbness that gets worse with sitting and standing. The numbess is better with frequent position changes. I am trying a movie today. I still have disc bulgs L3-l4anfd l5-S1 but the surgeon left those alone. I feel for thse who wrote and have numbess It drives my crazy!!!!! Has anybody out there had numbess prior ro surgry and after surgery that gets worse with sitting that eventually went away? Thanks in advance
A related discussion, numbness legs and feet also swollen feet was started.
A related discussion, NUMBNESS IN FEET was started.
A related discussion, Herniated disk was started.
A related discussion, numbness in feet was started.
A related discussion, pain & numbness was started.
A related discussion, sole of foot numbness was started.
A related discussion, Tingling in my foot is very upsetting was started.
A related discussion, numbness in right foot (outer side) was started.
A related discussion, hand & foot stiffness and tingles was started.
A related discussion, numbness in my left leg was started.