Neurology Community
Foot tremor

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Foot tremor

Seeking explanation/cause/treatment:
Very mild tremor in right foot, like a weak vibration or humming. Sensation primarily in area of the ball of the foot, but not specifically on the sole. Thought for a while it was due to building vibrations, but started noticing it at other times.

"Hum" lasts 2-3 seconds, off 1 second, on 2-3 seconds...very regular intervals for an indefinite period.

49 year-old male. Had laminectomy and microdiscectomy (sp?) in 1998 due to ruptured disc (L5-S1)and nerve pressure, but that caused left leg pain and numbness in sole of left foot; no complications with right foot at that time or after, till this recent tremor. Slightly overweight (6'1", 205 lbs), minimal daily exercise (1-2 miles walking), fairly balanced diet (wife is a Registered Dietitian), some stress but not extreme (tenured full professor in engineering, but too many projects!), lots of computer time, 7-8 hrs sleep most nights.

Mother (age 78) has serious restless leg syndrome and participates in special study through Johns Hopkins. I had blood drawn ~4 yrs ago as part of a JH RLS study; came out negative, and do not have the same problems as my mother; just occasional need to stretch legs (always take aisle seat!). Father (78) has Parkinson's, which is fairly well-controlled with medication (sees specialist at Virginia Commonwealth Univ., Medical College of VA).
There is  still the possibility that it might be related to the condition treated 9 years ago. Have you had an X-ray done recently visualizing the spinal column? Any note of back pain? You could opt to observe the tremor for the time being, but if you're concerned about it, you should go to a neurologist, preferably the one who did your surgery before.
I have no back pain. The neurologist (with whom I was very pleased) has moved, unfortunately. The tremor is very faint (not painful) and recent so I'll wait & observe for a while.  I have not had a recent X-ray, so if it continues I'll pursue this with my physician and see if he'll refer me to a neurologist.

I saw a sequence of postings from 2004 at this site with a few people describing almost identical symptoms as mine, but after all sorts of testing they still hadn't found out what was wrong. I'm hoping one of them might see this and let me know if they ever found out what it was. Can I write to specific people by their nicknames? I tried to post to that thread, but it wouldn't let me (probably too old). This is my first time at this site and only second time using a forum so I'm still learning my way around....Thank you for responding.
I have exactly the same purring, vibration, whatever you want to call it, it just started 2 days ago... at first I thought there was a cell phone vibrating on the couch I was sitting on, until I figured out it was on my foot!  Have you had any luck finding out what this is?
Test
Hi.

The purring or vibrating sensation that you feel in your foot is suggestive of a nerve-related disorder and are called paresthesias. There are many conditions that can be related to its presence.

How old are you now? Have you had any recent injury to your foot? How long do the symptoms last? Do they occur during activity or only at rest? Answers to these questions might help provide clues to knowing what you may have.

Conditions that could possibly be related to your symptoms include vitamin and mineral deficiencies, diabetes, thyroid disorder, nerve irritation or compression secondary to degenerative disc disease or disc herniation, stress, or even a normal physiologic sensation made more noticeable by fatigue.

If this symptom is bothersome, you should go to a physician to evaluate your condition.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Did you ever find out what it was?? It's been years since you posted, but this just started yesterday. I was at the movie and thought it was the floor vibrating because of the film noise. But my left foot is still purring this morning.