Neurology Community
Forehead sensitivity

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Forehead sensitivity

Hi, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction with a problem I have had for the last 3 months.

I have a small area on the right hand side of my forehead, just under the hairline, which is extremely sensitive when touched.  It's no more than an inch long and probably half an inch in height.  When I touch it It feels as if it is bruised. Even the water from a shower or a strong wind can set it off.  I am not aware of having knocked my head recently.  Outside this area feels totally normal.

The pain is not excrutiating but it's bad enough for me to be careful how I position my head under the shower, and combing my hair is something I have to do very slowly in order to avoid touching my forehead.

I've had it for 3 months.  It's not getting any worse but it isn't improving either.  I've seen a neurologist and had a detailed MRI brain scan which was clear.  I've also had a blood test to rule out temporal arteritis.  My neurologist prescribed Axsain 0.075% cream which is based on capsaicin (chillies).  I have been using this for the past 3 or 4 weeks but it has made no difference.  I'm told it's too high in the forehead to be a sinus related condition.

My neurologist does not seem able to pinpoint the problem.  Any thoughts or experiences from others would be appreciated.

Thanks all.
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

From your description of symptoms, it appears that you may have temporal arteritis or occipital neuralgia condition in which headache is usually concentrated in the one region of your head and it is tender to touch and things like combing your hair may be painful. But in addition to this for any persistent headaches, possibilities like migrainous, cluster, tension and refractive errors that need to be evaluated thoroughly with the help of a neurologist here. Migraine like headache can be throbbing, one sided of face & head and preceded by aura (starts with blurred vision). Cluster headache may appear as burning, explosive in nature and tear appears from eyes. Tension headache originates with stress and anxiety disorder. Please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders by clinically examine you & ordering MRI or CT scan here that may be the main reasons of your headache attacks & other symptoms and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!
Avatar n tn
I have had the exact same issue for the last month or so at first I thought I scratched it or it was an underlying pimple but I see absolutely nothing and it does not bother me unless I touch it - It is just to the left of the middle of my forehead right under the hair line