Neurology Community
Four day old baby diagnossed with Asymmetrical Cerebellum and Cistran M...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Four day old baby diagnossed with Asymmetrical Cerebellum and Cistran Magnaum

My wife had our son less then a week ago, because of some complications at birth, and poor tone our sons doctor ordered an MRI. We received the results this evening, and my wife and I were told that the right side of the cerebellum was smaller then the left side, and was very apparent in the MRI photo's, because the right side was smaller there was also a Cistran Magnaum behind (or where the Cerebellum should be). Our son's Doctor could not give us any information beyond that, and I both my wife and I have no Idea what any of this means in our childs development, or how our child will suffer from this deffect? Can anyone please give us some information, were not even sure if there is any type of treatment for his condition?

If you can help we would greatly appreciate it.
God bless,
Chanse
Chanse,
Congratulations on the birth of your son.  It is hard getting news like that at what is supposed to be such a joyous time.  My daughter was born 4 years ago with an undeveloped cerebellum-the left side smaller than the right, in fact the left side is nearly completely absent, and the right side is small.  She had decreased tone as a baby, but fed fine.  She had tremors her first few days of life that went away on their own.  Doctors don't know what caused it, they think it was not genetic, but rather a sporadic birth defect caused by a lack of blood flow to that part of the brain during development.  She did everything late-didn't sit up until around 1 year, crawled at about 18 months, and walked at age 2.5.  She is clumsy and seems to get dizzy (from what I can tell).  Children with disorders of the cerebellum have different outcomes, it all depends on how the brain is wired.  Even if a part of the brain is missing or underdeveloped, a child can learn and function if the connections are right.  Most likely your child will have some large motor, coordination and emotional challenges like my daughter does (the cerebellum controls coordination, balance, and the ability to stand upright).  He might also be at a higher risk for seizures (all kids have a seizure risk of 10%).  Some kids do better, some worse.  It's all a waiting game unfortunately.  The best thing is to get your son a pediatric neurologist, and also into an early intervention program in your community as soon as possible.  My daughter had therapy from age 4 months to  3 years and without it I believe she would not be walking.  From the symptoms you describe, it sounds like your son may have been born with Dandy Walker Syndrome-do a Google search on it for more info.  There is also a Yahoo group for Cerebellar Hypoplasia and Dandy Walker--join for free and get a lot of advice from parents of kids with these disorders.  I wish you all the best and God Bless you, your wife and precious son.  Do not give up hope.  Your son may just surprise you.  -Michelle

My best friend suffers this same problem.  We are now 41 years old. She was not diagnosed with the problem until just a few years ago when an injury required an MRI of her brain, showing no left cerebellum. Growing up, she did everything "late" and had to learn to adjust what she did do. Simple things like tying her shoes, riding a bike, painting her nails and catching a ball were nearly impossible for her but, as I said, she learned to adjust and do all of those things. She still works a little harder than most when completing left-sided tasks but she is totally "normal" and there is nothing I do that she doesn't also do. Your child will likely live a perfectly normal life. Having been diagnosed young puts your child at a great advantage with therapy and medical help that my friend never had.  Good luck and sleep well knowing that everything will be ok.  
I was wondering if you still follow this at all if we could get an update. I am 22 weeks pregnant and our little boy was just diagnosed with the same thing, it is sooo had to find anything on this. Any information would be so helpful
My daughter is 2 1/2 and at 25 weeks was diagnosed with assemetry of her cerebellum as well. I, like you are now, was terrified because it seemed no one had answers. She did reach milestones late..crawled at a year..walking by 20 months. She is just now picking up speed and trying to run, and it is amazing to watch her do it let me tell you! It is definitely a waiting game..all kids are different. I had her in PT from 3 months to a year and a half..and an completely convinced that is the reason she learned to crawl and walk. I suggest doing everything you learn (if you decide on PT) at home and as often as you can because it really helps. I know exactly how scared this is, but hang in there!! If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer what I can. When we got this diagnosis It seemed like I couldn't find anyone who had been giving the same one. Good luck!!